I believe in good!

Back on topic more directly: What's What's good to believe?

Not taking life is good.
Not taking what's not given is good.
Not conducting wrongly in fleshly manners is good.
Not speaking what's not true is good.
Not speaking with intention to break beloved apart is good.
Not speaking using harsh and ugly words is good.
Not speaking on useless topics is good.
No greedy intention is good.
No harmfull intention is good.
No deluded intention is good.

And the base of all good is right view, e.g believing that good doing merits, is good.

Once in this right wheel, it's a spiral upwardly. Once out of this wheel, downwardly.
“Good” seems connected to that which is sustainable in terms of helping humans in general survive and thrive. Probably also closely related to the concepts of growth and actualization of potential, as both aid in survival and wellness/prosperity almost along the lines of the sports adage “the best defense is good offense.” And these concepts require an understanding of dynamics, interactions of multiple factors over time. I think the Biblical prophecy of the “Tree of Life” was about a stage of knowledge development in which we understand life’s dynamics. It’s “good” to have an open mind that can figure out how things interact. The prefrontal cortex plays a big role. It’s good to use it so we don’t lose it (its functionality, and possibly even its structural integrity?) .

“Good” seems connected to that which is sustainable in terms of helping humans in general survive and thrive. Probably also closely related to the concepts of growth and actualization of potential, as both aid in survival and wellness/prosperity almost along the lines of the sports adage “the best defense is good offense.” And these concepts require an understanding of dynamics, interactions of multiple factors over time. I think the Biblical prophecy of the “Tree of Life” was about a stage of knowledge development in which we understand life’s dynamics. It’s “good” to have an open mind that can figure out how things interact. The prefrontal cortex plays a big role. It’s good to use it so we don’t lose it (its functionality, and possibly even its structural integrity?) .
Good householder,
it's important to understand that beings are heir of their own deeds. It's not really possible to help others to do the right thing to gain than fruits. One can, for example, give something own, but it's total in the sphere of the other one whether able to take and able to make use. Teachings about right and wrong likewise.
It's not required, not even possible to see through the net of cause and effect, yet it's total enough to have strong faith in doing good. What ever doesn't harm another, has no intent for such, is already the highest gift one can give.
Doing good has to be taken on trust till a certain state of mind is gained to see it's effect clearly by oneself.

It's good to have strong faith that the gain of a human birth, not stupid, near of people of integrity, is the effect of having done good in the past, would came along if not, and knowing the worth of one's heritage, one doesn't waste it off, but makes more and refined from it.

Good householder,
Naivety or illusion, not knowing, isn't a protection, but not only a fault but the root cause of suffering.
If once joy is beyond craving for sensuality, when one is freed from the bonds in the sensual world, when ever breaking apart from this world, would be a matter of worry at all.
Not being related to something beyond sensuality, breaking apart is hard.
Sensuality is related to reaction. If only an understanding of surface and fairly static qualities of ordinary physical reality, we tend to react to whatever things come our way. But if we can sense underlying patterns and begin to more reliably predict outcomes, then we can RESPOND and be effective co-creators of “reality,” life. We can be what Abraham Maslow called “self actualizers.” But any given “self” in this relatively broken up world is incomplete, lacking wholeness, high integration (and, therefore high “integrity”), and quantum coherence. So love, the ability to reach into an other, helps restore the quantum entangled nature of a deeper reality behind/within the surface characteristics of ordinary physical “reality.” Loving an other is a connection to the so called “other (deeper?) side.”

Sensuality is related to reaction. If only an understanding of surface and fairly static qualities of ordinary physical reality, we tend to react to whatever things come our way. But if we can sense underlying patterns and begin to more reliably predict outcomes, then we can RESPOND and be effective co-creators of “reality,” life. We can be what Abraham Maslow called “self actualizers.” But any given “self” in this relatively broken up world is incomplete, lacking wholeness, high integration (and, therefore high “integrity”), and quantum coherence. So love, the ability to reach into an other, helps restore the quantum entangled nature of a deeper reality behind/within the surface characteristics of ordinary physical “reality.” Loving an other is a connection to the so called “other (deeper?) side.”
...and a good tool to neglect to see one's own fault, to restrain, and to work out own defilement...
Just believe in good doing, good householder. Who ever focus on fruits or is eager in this or that creation, naturally tends to forget himself, doesn't see the harm for himself and others, delight in any object other than be aware of his bodily, verbal and mental deeds.

Believing in good is not going after desired, but simply puting doing good always above ideas and desire. It's a secure fence.

...and a good tool to neglect to see one's own fault, to restrain, and to work out own defilement...
Just believe in good doing, good householder. Who ever focus on fruits or is eager in this or that creation, naturally tends to forget himself, doesn't see the harm for himself and others, delight in any object other than be aware of his bodily, verbal and mental deeds.

Believing in good is not going after desired, but simply puting doing good always above ideas and desire. It's a secure fence.
The notion of an individual “self” is, of course, real, but LESS real than interconnectedness. From a collective unconscious source of knowledge, in which we are interconnected beings (“spiritual”) more than we are isolated beings, “good” means what allows that deeper nature to become implanted in, integrated with, surface reality. With depth integration comes sustainable moral action. Morality emerging from spirituality, instead of a morality without deep roots. “The wise man built his house upon the Rock (upon a deep convergent base of overall reality.)”
An overall reality that has depth is a concept that functions as though it were true/real, even though we have no precise way of discerning ultimate reality because it remains partly beyond our ability to comprehend. But if it bears “good fruit,” then it is at least a meaningful myth that is worth keeping. That’s my (metaphysical) story, and I’m sticking to it!
And I’m not on an isolated philosophical/theological island with that metaphysical notion. The Eastern (Veda?) concepts of Causal, Subtle, and Gross “bodies conforms to an overall reality with depth. Deepest zone being Causal, Mind. Intermediate zone being Subtle energy (quantum), And surface reality being (where “classical objects,” a quantum theory term, reside) Gross.

Last edited:
The notion of an individual “self” is, of course, real, but LESS real than interconnectedness. From a collective unconscious source of knowledge, in which we are interconnected beings (“spiritual”) more than we are isolated beings, “good” means what allows that deeper nature to become implanted in, integrated with, surface reality. With depth integration comes sustainable moral action. Morality emerging from spirituality, instead of a morality without deep roots, “The wise man built his house upon the Rock (upon a deep convergent base of overall reality.)”
It’s a metaphysical concept that functions as though it were true/real, even though we have no precise way of discerning ultimate reality because it remains partly beyond our ability to comprehend. But if it bears “good fruit,” then it is at least a meaningful myth that is worth keeping. That’s my (metaphysical) story, and I’m sticking to it!
So let's make a rock out of mythos, put things upright:

Right Virtue, moral, good householder, is rooted in right resolve.

And what is right resolve? "Being resolved on renunciation, on freedom from ill-will, on harmlessness: This is called right resolve.”

Right resolve is rooted in right view.

What's right view?
There is the case where a certain person is not covetous. He does not covet the belongings of others, thinking, 'O, that what belongs to others would be mine!' He bears no ill will and is not corrupt in the resolves of his heart. [He thinks,] 'May these beings be free from animosity, free from oppression, free from trouble, and may they look after themselves with ease!' He has right view and is not warped in the way he sees things: 'There is what is given, what is offered, what is sacrificed. There are fruits & results of good & bad actions. There is this world & the next world. There is mother & father. There are spontaneously reborn beings; there are brahmans & contemplatives who, faring rightly & practicing rightly, proclaim this world & the next after having directly known & realized it for themselves.'
Eg. gratitude, seeing goodness, debts, sacrifices.

Right view is rooted in faith.
Faith is rooted in right, good association.

Sro wrong association leads to lack of faith (in liberating, good), lack of faith to wrong view, wrong view to wrong resolve, wrong resolve to wrong virtue, wrong virtue to wrong effort... wrong mindfulness, ...wrong concentration, ... wrong (no) release.

Only till the next big war. Global peacefulness has been declining for years now.
Till? No place not at war, and largest ongoing slayings of life everywhere. Hardly an ace not made plane. Blindness in regard of suffering is amazing.

What do blind think why there are people going after spirituality? Because there can be even such as heavens in the sensual world?

The naive believe of peace in it is the end of any spirituality and by it just increase of conflict.

I agree, but I believe there were more people killed in past wars than today, but that could change in a blink of an eye. Nuclear is no toy.
Good householder might not see being aside of human one, as well as not seeing human killed even before leaving the womb. By far, far more humans are killed by their parents then in wars and what one sees as crime. It's to doubt that there had been time where more slaying of being and destroying on habitats had been done in visible past, and it's natural that such comes back.

And that labor is outsourced doesn't mean that burdens and misery aren't done for just that sake.

Good householder might not see being aside of human one, as well as not seeing human killed even before leaving the womb. By far, far more humans are killed by their parents then in wars and what one sees as crime. It's to doubt that there had been time where more slaying of being and destroying on habitats had been done in visible past, and it's natural that such comes back.

And that labor is outsourced doesn't mean that burdens and misery aren't done for just that sake.
I do believe we are living in an evil world, but hopefully the good will conquer the darkness of this world at some time. Christians believe that this will happen when Jesus Christ comes back to rule. True peace will be present.

So let's make a rock out of mythos, put things upright:

Right Virtue, moral, good householder, is rooted in right resolve.

And what is right resolve? "Being resolved on renunciation, on freedom from ill-will, on harmlessness: This is called right resolve.”

Right resolve is rooted in right view.

What's right view?
There is the case where a certain person is not covetous. He does not covet the belongings of others, thinking, 'O, that what belongs to others would be mine!' He bears no ill will and is not corrupt in the resolves of his heart. [He thinks,] 'May these beings be free from animosity, free from oppression, free from trouble, and may they look after themselves with ease!' He has right view and is not warped in the way he sees things: 'There is what is given, what is offered, what is sacrificed. There are fruits & results of good & bad actions. There is this world & the next world. There is mother & father. There are spontaneously reborn beings; there are brahmans & contemplatives who, faring rightly & practicing rightly, proclaim this world & the next after having directly known & realized it for themselves.'
Eg. gratitude, seeing goodness, debts, sacrifices.

Right view is rooted in faith.
Faith is rooted in right, good association.

Sro wrong association leads to lack of faith (in liberating, good), lack of faith to wrong view, wrong view to wrong resolve, wrong resolve to wrong virtue, wrong virtue to wrong effort... wrong mindfulness, ...wrong concentration, ... wrong (no) release.
A lot harder to not be something than to be it though. The “spiritual” approach to morality is based on what might be called “Breathable Being.” The base of moral action is closer to loving intent than right thinking, although certainly not antithetical to right thinking. And love and interconnected being is more sensed than thought. But sensed at a very deep (closer to Ultimate Reality, God) level. Yes, sense and sensuous can be superficial and fickle. But deeply sensed being is the most trustworthy and transformative “rock” in my opinion. But right thinking might also lead to whole being because it helps avoid psychologically and physically unhealthy behaviors and situations. The upward spiral you seemed to describe.

If I read you right (and that’s a big if!), you prefer a more left brain approach, and I a more right brain approach. But of course we need BOTH. So maybe our views complement each other’s?

By virtue of God/Good, the Cosmos has order and purpose and meaning, but is itself limited and contingent by its imperfections inherent in the material domain – at an extreme view, creation is 'a necessary evil' to catch and arrest the fall of the (eternal) soul from the contemplation of God/Good.
This certainly matches my own sense that we are here on assignment to pull creation towards the Godly good (or, if you like deities, a more Godly good) . Liked your comment that perhaps God is the face of good. Also interesting that, according to you, Plato saw Good as more transcendent yet than God. That seems similar to my thinking here. Why not tap into patterns or archetypes woven into Creation? Then if a sense of a divine being occurs, great. But why not focus on being divine, trusting that overall reality allows for that. Go for it! Don’t wait for a middle man.

Getting hit by a bus, dying, isn't a problem, yet deluded mind and wrong view, especially when abounding a good live gained, is. Even it dying on a cross.
@Dhammañāṇa Bhikkhu

This reminded me of someone I met in my home town who was dressed similarly to the "Jesus" in the video. So he told me that he left his wife, given up all his possessions including $300000 and came to my town(in UK) because God had told him to. He was the 2nd coming and he expected everyone to recognise him, which wasn't happening.

I listened to him attentively and said , "So, what you are really saying is that you would like me to give you 50pence for a cup of coffee". He nodded and I gave him a lot more than 50pence and told him to get some food, rest and go back to his wife. I also told to go to the American embassy to get a passport(he had give it away).
I never saw him again.

@Dhammañāṇa Bhikkhu

This reminded me of someone I met in my home town who was dressed similarly to the "Jesus" in the video. So he told me that he left his wife, given up all his possessions including $300000 and came to my town(in UK) because God had told him to. He was the 2nd coming and he expected everyone to recognise him, which wasn't happening.

I listened to him attentively and said , "So, what you are really saying is that you would like me to give you 50pence for a cup of coffee". He nodded and I gave him a lot more than 50pence and told him to get some food, rest and go back to his wife. I also told to go to the American embassy to get a passport(he had give it away).
I never saw him again.
Sadhu, that's a good deed.

Back