Why don't Christians worship as Jews do?

From my reading of the Bible and New Testament, I don't think Christianity replaces anything. Nothing is replaced. There is no "Replacement Theology."

Jesus came into this world for purely sentimental purposes. It wasn't part of some Divine Constitutional Law. He wasn't following some system of rules or formal protocols. Actually, what he came to do was to nullify the moral authority of such a system of rules and formal protocols. In other words, his purpose was to do away with the Systematic Law so that we could align ourselves to something more natural -- something more sentimental -- the Natural Law.

He came as a liberator to emancipate us from ideology and dogma. He came to free us from what the Israelite religious leaders believed was the "Divine Constitutional Law." He freed us from this "Divine Constitutional Law" by proving that it never had any moral authority in the first place. He showed that it was invalid by allowing the religious leaders to condemn an innocent, righteous man -- himself.

Don't get the wrong idea, though. I'm not talking about Judaism here. I'm talking about man-made distortions of God's religion. Both Jews and Christians have done that for centuries. It's where religious leaders turn God's religion into a Constitution. It continues in today's world with the issue of abortion and gay marriages and the "Christian Right" movement in America. It's where people believe in a political system more than they believe in individuals. People's lives are enslaved by ideology and the structure of the world -- and they start believing that to make the world a better place they need to "re-structure" the world. The religious leaders in Jesus' day were doing something similar. Personally, I don't think changing rules and laws is going to help anyone. It doesn't make us better people.

In a sense, Christianity has no new theology at all. Christianity isn't about "changing the rules." It's just a story we believe in. It's a story of how a man died on our behalf to free us from formal protocols. The legacy of that man lives on. It's a shift in focus. Once upon a time we believed rules and formal protocols were the most important ingredient in "purity" and "righteousness." Then along came a man who changed all that . . .

The terms "Christian" and "Jew" are just a way of labelling people to distinguish who believes or does not believe in that story. Think of these two words as like a signpost. It's like we're fans of a Christian concept of Jesus. I don't see how it's wrong to be a fan. Fans of celebrities like John Farnham, Nicole Kidman, Greg Norman and Andre Agassi aren't bigots. Fans of celebrities devote themselves to the personality, charisma and life story of that person. It's like that with Christianity. It's a religion dedicated to the memory of a person.

It's about the story and legacy of one man. This story means something to us and we think it's important.:) We're not going to throw this story in the dumpster just because it happened two thousand years ago. Moreover, if our religion is about a God we can trust and a personal connection with that God, then it is important that we recognise what such a God has done for us. Christianity is supposed to be something sentimental. Sure, there's a long history of disputes about what is correct or incorrect about the story and concept of Christ, but these are just attempts to forge something concrete and systematic in Christianity. It's where people try to fit Christianity into some kind of model, philosophy or mystical science.

The "bigotry" is a result of a belief not in something sentimental, but something systematic, scientific and concrete. It's a result of people trying to compartmentalise Christianity. It's where people do it with their heads and not their hearts. They believe Christianity should be compartmentalised and that these compartmentalisations apply to everybody.

It's when we realise that Christianity was meant to be something purely sentimental that we stop all the bickering and factionalism and realise that what we fought over wasn't what Christianity represented in the first place. It's just us trying to fit Christianity into some kind of model. When we focus on the sentimental we start connecting with people and we start appreciating the true meaning of the Religion of Christ, and accepting each other's differing views. We may even start realising that there is no real difference between the Religion of Christ and the Religion of Israel. The only significant difference is that the Religion of Christ is the story of what God did to reconnect with His people.

Christianity isn't a threat. It's an invitation. You don't have to come. Try thinking of us as more like a social club than a recruiting force.:D

Hmm a human being dismisses a faith...wrong. Christianity is far more than what is expressed here. Christianity is a threat. Why?, It won't stop moving forward. Oh, it won't kill, or harm, but it will be there...

Actually Saltmeister Christianity is not sentimental. One cannot carry their cross in a sentimental fashion. Christianity and Judaism though complimentary are far from the same and must by their natures be approached differently.

It's been a while, but I think you'd be misunderstanding me if you were to say that. Similarities and differences is not what I have in mind, particularly with regards to theology and practices.

This post was in response to someone who was talking about "replacement theology" and I was disputing that theory. Jesus in particular never intended to replace the existing religion, one that he followed himself. He was addressing issues with the politics of that religion, particularly with dogma and ideology. People were being taught to follow rules and formal protocols, rather than trying to discover how these practices (or concepts) could have personal value in their lives. The people and their religious leaders were taking their Scripture literally. Rather than following the spirit of the Law, they followed the Law to the letter. Jesus didn't agree with that.

My impression of Judaism today is that it has moved on from that kind of thinking to a more theoretical and contemplative approach, rather than one of strict conformity to rules and literal interpretation of Scripture. It's grown out of that.

Christianity, however, is still struggling with these issues, even though it, as a religion was about dealing with these issues. Rather than adhering to the spirit of the Gospel, Christians adhere to the letter of the Gospel. The problem plaguing Judaism 2,000 years ago is now plaguing Christianity, and it has been continually happening in the last 2,000 years ago.

Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it and ironically enough, Christianity forgot the past.

I'm becoming more and more convinced that Christianity was never meant to be a new religion. It grew out of the religious politics that was happening back then. Jesus had his views and agenda, but they were rejected. His followers formed a movement to preserve his legacy and that is how the religion started.

Jesus' agenda was not "replacement theology" but rather advocacy of principles he saw as important in an existing religion that he followed. His life, rhetoric and sayings were not supposed to be a new religion, but political statements projected out into a Jewish environment, intended to further his agenda in Jewish politics, concerning what he thought was right in being Jewish.

If there is a reason why it has become a new religion, it's because the political statements made by Jesus are no longer taken in the context of the Jewish environment and politics into which he projected them.

If Jesus were here today, I believe he would be making political statements about Christianity instead of Judaism, because Christianity today is in a similar state as Judaism was in 2,000 years ago. People were taught to follow rules without regard as to what personal value and personal meaning they might have in their lives.

Christianity being merely a collection of political statements, it could well have not existed, but it happened to make a political statement, not to replace another religion. Like the Books in the Tanakh, Christianity is another chapter in the history of the Abrahamic Faiths.

What makes me uncomfortable is Christians adhering to "the letter of the Gospel" rather than the "spirit of the Gospel." By doing so, they are repeating the same mistakes Jesus tried to address 2,000 years ago. Ironically, then, Christianity is a satirical statement about itself.

For those of us who don't see the satire and irony in Christianity, I reckon you'd be missing one of the most important messages behind Christianity. It probably means that you are one of those people who pursue the letter of the Gospel rather than the spirit of the Gospel and I wish we could spend more time chasing after the Spirit than the letter.

Thread Historical Highlights
  • post 8 Basstian gives his explanation of the move from Sabbath to Sunday
  • post 10 truthseeker doesn't feel they must dedicate themselves to any particular denomination
  • post 18 NewAgeNerd, transitioning to orthodox Judaism discusses Sabbath a little bit. post 24 gives this link: Sabbath Day of Eternity - Rabbi Aryeh Kaplan - An OU.ORG Exclusive
  • post 22 Quahom says "It is a delight to discover something new, from such an old story..." like he was sipping wine with his pinky out. A Coast Guard and carpenter uses the word delight?
  • post 30 Bananabrain clarifies Psalm 74:8 does not mention synogogues per se
  • post 32 Basstian provides a link "http://www.nisbett.com/sabbath/sunday_history.htm" which has since become God's Sabbath for Mankind--Chapter Six : Christian Resource Centre (Bermuda)
  • post 35 Quahom a founding member of Theology class in his Catholic school
  • post 37 Dauer's scathing attack on the Ragamuffins
  • post 40 InchristAlways says the foundation of heaven and earth in Genesis aren't literal!
  • post 62 InChristAlways brainstorms Ezekiel 4:5 sees dates of destruction of Jerusalem and of Rome as proportional to days of Ezekiel on his side.
  • post 99 Saltmeister denounces replacement theology

Hi Saltmeister

IMO you are confusing Christianity with Christendom. As Dr. Finch wrote, Christianity is concerned with "Now," Christendom as you say is primarily political which means it deals with imagined change. Where Christendom is concerned with external conditioned results or behaviorism, Christianity is an expression of "being" which is experienced "now"and psychological in nature

All through history, the awareness of what constitutes the quality of "now," has been corrupted into preoccupation with change and earthly value. The result is the societal creation of Plato's " Beast" and Simone Weil's reference to the "Great Beast. This psychological tendency has permeated both Christianity and Judaism as Simone rightly describes.

Rome is the Great Beast of atheism and materialism, adoriing nothing but itself. Israel is the Great Beast of religion. Neither one nor the other is likable. The Great Beast is always repulsive.
- Simone Weil, Prelude to Politics, completed shortly before her death in 1943
the Simone Weil Reader, edited by George A. Panichas (David McKay Co. NY 1977) p 393

As you know in the Bible there is always "oh Israel" this or that. As soon as Moses went up the mountain, the golden idol emerged again. it cannot be helped as we are. It is lawful for the fallen human condition to lose vertical conscious perspective in favor of linear conditioned perspective.

It is precisely because of this that the New Covenant became necessary. It doesn't replace anything but rather adds something, the awareness of the conscious quality of Now, But, as Simone suggests, this new covenant was corrupted through egotism. Christianity, that is based upon giving up power for a greater good became Christendom a religion of power for Rome.

To begin to understand what "now" means and if it has relevance means contemplating the meaning of the New covenant as explained in Hebrews 8. Are you willing to do that or do you just deny its importance?

7For if there had been nothing wrong with that first covenant, no place would have been sought for another. 8But God found fault with the people and said[b]:
"The time is coming, declares the Lord,
when I will make a new covenant
with the house of Israel
and with the house of Judah.
9It will not be like the covenant
I made with their forefathers
when I took them by the hand
to lead them out of Egypt,
because they did not remain faithful to my covenant,
and I turned away from them, declares the Lord.
10This is the covenant I will make with the house of Israel
after that time, declares the Lord.
I will put my laws in their minds
and write them on their hearts.
I will be their God,
and they will be my people.
11No longer will a man teach his neighbor,
or a man his brother, saying, 'Know the Lord,'
because they will all know me,
from the least of them to the greatest.
12For I will forgive their wickedness
and will remember their sins no more."[c] 13By calling this covenant "new," he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and aging will soon disappear.

Nick A said:
The result is the societal creation of Plato's "Beast" and Simone Weil's reference to the "Great Beast". This psychological tendency has permeated both Christianity and Judaism as Simone rightly describes.
them's fighting words. perhaps we might consider justifying such a bigoted statement? i don't think i've seen one as bad as this in a long while.

Israel is the Great Beast of religion. Neither one nor the other is likable. The Great Beast is always repulsive.
well, well, well. clearly, "israel" isn't the only repulsive thing around here. what a disgusting statement. after reading this i did a little research on your idol (i use the word intentionally) and it seems that her take on judaism is one thing that makes her indigestible to many people. as an apostate (and here, again, i use the term advisedly) and a clearly ignorant one to boot, i don't believe she is in a position to make any informed judgement about judaism.

As you know in the Bible there is always "oh Israel" this or that. As soon as Moses went up the mountain, the golden idol emerged again. it cannot be helped as we are.
a point which the sages are hardly remiss in pointing out themselves. we hardly need this unpleasant judeophobe's input to inform us of something we are already capable of drawing moral lessons from.

By calling this covenant "new," he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and aging will soon disappear.
yet still we are here. people have been predicting the disappearance of judaism for several more than two thousand years, yet we go from strength to strength. 'am yisrael hai!

so, nick, i think you ought to either retract your statement or justify it - if you can.

b'shalom

bananabrain

bb

You don't want to see that it is you ego that justifies itself indulging in insult and your expressions of self justification. It is what takes deep concepts and devolves them into emotional rants.

If the first covenant disappears it doesn't mean that Judaism disappears but only means that secularism prevents what is offered by the covenant. Secular life can exist on earth without it.

Your righteous indignation doesn't allow you to appreciate those like Simone whose worldly perspective of suffering isn't caught up in right and wrong. This filmmaker is coming out with a documentary because she feels what Simone offers which is the willingness to consider the human perspective from a state of conscious attention.

You don't understand but those like Albert Camus did. I'm sorry but when Albert Camus meditates in the room of the long dead Simone before flying to receive the Nobel prize, I believe that he understands something you are denying yourself. Your choice but I'll stick with Simone. Here is the trailer from the soon to be released documentary:

http://www.youtube.com/swf/l.swf?sw...rMsEGHKcC&use_get_video_info=1&load_modules=1

We need more apostates like this. Rather then supplying answers she provokes us to question with the impartiality that conscious attention offers. Most don't understand this. Those like Albert Camus do.

Nick A said:
You don't want to see that it is you ego that justifies itself indulging in insult and your expressions of self justification. It is what takes deep concepts and devolves them into emotional rants.
this is just pure claptrap. what you have written makes no sense whatsoever. it isn't my "ego". your idol called my religion "repulsive". that is a) offensive and b) ignorant. her ill-informed opinions of my religion appears to be a salient feature in the critique of her thought that i have so far discovered.

more to the point, in what universe do you think you can come onto an interfaith dialogue board, insult a religion you obviously know very little about and expect people to respect your worship of this bigoted woman, however good a philosopher she may have been?

If the first covenant disappears it doesn't mean that Judaism disappears but only means that secularism prevents what is offered by the covenant. Secular life can exist on earth without it.
that is *absolutely* not what we understand by the verses in question. it is a critique of observing the Torah in form only without sincerity or moral consistency, not a support for supercessionist theology. i also find your characterisation of secularism highly inaccurate and quite insulting to the many good, moral and enlightened secularists of my acquaintance, some of whom frequent this board. in short, it is a typical piece of pre-vatican II christian triumphalism with nothing to recommend it.

Your righteous indignation doesn't allow you to appreciate those like Simone whose worldly perspective of suffering isn't caught up in right and wrong.
what an idiotic point of view. humanity is *defined* by its ability to make moral choices. if we are not here to choose to act in a moral fashion, what kind of society would result? if there is one thing that the vast majority of religions agree on, it is this.

I call this day upon heaven and earth as witnesses. I have Set before you life and death, blessing and curse. And you should choose life, so that you and your children may live. (Deuteronomy 30:19)
if you can't understand the moral message of that, you can have no concept of what judaism is actually about.

You don't understand but those like Albert Camus did. I'm sorry but when Albert Camus meditates in the room of the long dead Simone before flying to receive the Nobel prize, I believe that he understands something you are denying yourself.
and i believe that you are deceiving yourslef with this utter twaddle; i mean, listen to this:

the willingness to consider the human perspective from a state of conscious attention.
which means what, exactly?

Rather then supplying answers she provokes us to question with the impartiality that conscious attention offers. Most don't understand this.
that's probably because it doesn't actually make any sense except to french philosophers and people who have had their common sense removed. all it is is a pretentious mass of pompous verbiage which adds up to a denial of morality.

b'shalom

bananabrain

You don't want to admit your failings. OK, your choice.

more to the point, in what universe do you think you can come onto an interfaith dialogue board, insult a religion you obviously know very little about and expect people to respect your worship of this bigoted woman, however good a philosopher she may have been?
When I get final confirmation that this site is restricted to secular Interfaith, then I will leave. Until then, I will defend transcendent Interfaith. Appreciating the human condition in the contest of religious and human psychological potential I will agree is not a subject for secular Interfaith that glorifies itself.

Simone Weil (Bauer) - CESNUR 2002

5. In Simone Weil's life, religion played a dominant role in the years following the mystical epiphanies she experienced in 1938. Long before, however, her wish to partake in the suffering of the distressed led her to a life-style of extreme austerity. It was under these circumstances that, in 1937, Simone Weil became increasingly attracted to Christianity, a religion she considered to be in its true essence a religion of slaves, and therefore in utter contradiction to the actual form it had taken in history. On this assumption, Simone Weil objected against Catholicism -- the denomination she knew best and respected the most --[21] that it had ended by perverting itself for the sake of power. The historical "double stain" on the Church that Simone Weil denounces originates in the fact that Israel imposed on Christian believers the acceptance of the Old Testament and its almighty God, and that Rome chose Christianity as the religion of the Empire.[22] Despite its universal redemptive mission, the Church became from its very beginnings heir of Jewish nationalism and of the totalitarianism inherent in Imperial Rome. As the spiritual locus in which both traditions of power displaced the religion of powerless slaves, Christianity became the actual negation of its own foundational leitmotiv: the self-annulment of divine omnipotence by the godly act of kenosis or self-abasement.

6. The first sentence of Simone Weil's book Pensées sans ordre concernant l´amour de Dieu[23] runs: "Il ne dépend pas de nous de croire en Dieu, mais seulement de ne pas accorder notre amour à de faux dieux."[24] [It does not depend upon us to believe in God, but only not to give our love to false gods.] Correspondingly, Simone Weil stresses that the rejection of idolatry does not presuppose a positive belief in the one God,[25] but just the refusal to identify the divine with power.[26] More than just rejecting a plurality of gods,[27] the anti-idolatrous stance dismantles the assumption that omnipotence, and not the good kat´exochen is the essential attribute of the Godly.[28] Since Simone Weil regarded Jewish nationalism as a variety of the "idolâtrie sociale"[29] [social idolatry] at work in the illegitimate self-assertions of the Roman Empire, it is not surprising that she epitomized the God named by the Tetragrammaton as "un faux dieu"[30] [a false god] and repeatedly deprecated the people of Israel. Despite the plethora of her negative assessments in this regard, however, Simone Weil's view of the Hebrew Bible is in fact much more nuanced than most of her critics seem prepared to acknowledge. In the first place, Simone Weil contended that the Old Testament is divided in two great unities by the foundational experience of Exile. While the Hebrews in pre-Exilic times did not worship God as the Good, and, in consequence, were not able to distinguish between God and the devil,[31] those living after the Exile introduced in their narratives insights deriving from Chaldean, Persian and Greek wisdom that contradicted the idolatry inherent in their past beliefs. Thus, Simone Weil praises the Book of Job as "une pure merveille de vérité et d´authenticité"[32] [a pure marvel of truth and authenticity], and characterizes Daniel as "le premier être pur"[33] [the first pure (human) being]. She further asserts that the prophet Isaiah was the first one to bring "de la lumière pure"[34] [pure light] and that some of his "paroles fulgurantes"[35] [shinning words] concerning the Suffering Servant urged her to believe. More importantly, Simone Weil disregarded at times her own historical scheme of the Old Testament, and acknowledged in crucial junctures the presence of true insight in clearly pre-Exilic texts. In a passage of Lettre à un religieux,[36] for instance, she considers the Song of Songs and certain psalms as untainted by the false idea of God and expands the list of sacred texts acceptable to her to include Tobit and the beginning of the Book of Genesis.[37] In La Pesanteur et la Grâce[38] Simone Weil will even antedate the appearance of emblematic figures of purity and include among them Abel, Enoch, Noah and Melchizedek.[39] Lastly and more importantly, in a passage of Intuitions pré-chrétiennes[40] Simone Weil acknowledged in the "I am" of the Torah the true name of God.[41] In light of these significant nuances, her approach of Judaism, far from being a token of Jewish self-hatred, is indicative of a self-critical intelligence prepared to question generally cherished assumptions for the sake of the truth it relentless searches. In the last resort, Simone Weil's intellectual endeavors are remindful of the anti-idolatrous, self-critical tradition that was grounded by the Hebrew prophets and that her older contemporary Arnold Schönberg (1874-1951) certainly bears in mind when Moses, in the libretto of his dodecaphonic opera Moses und Aron, [42] exposes even the Burning Bush as a mere image that "give not to the body
what it needs with regard to spirit,
nor to the soul what is sufficient
for its self-denial
with regard to eternal life."[43]

This quality of thought doesn't fit your PC mindset. Your choice. But if you find it insulting, IMO it is your loss.

that is *absolutely* not what we understand by the verses in question. it is a critique of observing the Torah in form only without sincerity or moral consistency, not a support for supercessionist theology. i also find your characterisation of secularism highly inaccurate and quite insulting to the many good, moral and enlightened secularists of my acquaintance, some of whom frequent this board. in short, it is a typical piece of pre-vatican II christian triumphalism with nothing to recommend it.
The whole point is that the psychological benefits of the law both individually and collectively, requires just such consistency. The result of our adaptation to secularism has made it impossible.

what an idiotic point of view. humanity is *defined* by its ability to make moral choices. if we are not here to choose to act in a moral fashion, what kind of society would result? if there is one thing that the vast majority of religions agree on, it is this.

Quite true. This is how we define humanity. We define it by its moral choices. Any impartial person sees the hypocrisy in these moral choices. Those like Simone who are expressing the essence of Christianity see that it is the world that sustains moral hypocrisy. This is why Jesus said the world must hate the message.
if you can't understand the moral message of that, you can have no concept of what judaism is actually about.

Do you appreciate the meaning? How do you differentiate between life and death?

which means what, exactly?

It means something only a very few are capable of. It means to impartially and consciously witness your hypocrisy and acquire the ability to receive external impressions without defensive preconditioning.

that's probably because it doesn't actually make any sense except to french philosophers and people who have had their common sense removed. all it is is a pretentious mass of pompous verbiage which adds up to a denial of morality.
It even makes sense to some Jewish scholars like Jacob Needleman. I don't expect you to understand it yet IMO he is right
Questioning makes one open,makes one sensitive, makes one humble. We don't suffer from our questions, we suffer from our answers. Most of the mischief in the world comes from people with answers, not from people with questions."

Simone is suggesting learning how to question pertaining to something beyond the mundane. Unfortunately it is an ability only a few have.

Nick A said:
You don't want to admit your failings. OK, your choice.
excuse *me*, but where exactly do you get off coming in here and lecturing me? who made you the king of everyone? i don't remember getting that particular memo. what total arrogance.

When I get final confirmation that this site is restricted to secular Interfaith, then I will leave. Until then, I will defend transcendent Interfaith. Appreciating the human condition in the contest of religious and human psychological potential I will agree is not a subject for secular Interfaith that glorifies itself.
this distinction that you draw is not one which is recognised by anyone here that i know of apart from yourself. you have so far failed to define "secular", let alone "transcendent interfaith", nor, as far as i am aware, do you get to determine the terms of engagement on this board. that is for brian to decide (and, to a lesser extent, the moderators) and, so you know, people who have arrived here and attempted to turn it into a soapbox for their particular cult, sect, idol or indeed self-declared prophethood have not lasted long. nor do the missionaries, evangelists and other people who think they know better than everyone else what is good for everybody.

Appreciating the human condition in the contest of religious and human psychological potential I will agree is not a subject for secular Interfaith that glorifies itself.
well, if what you mean by "transcendent interfaith" is about being breathtakingly patronising to people that don't see eye to eye with you about how we're all missing what it's *really* about, then i suggest you might like to set up your own website to preach from. that is not what interfaith.org is about.

Long before, however, her wish to partake in the suffering of the distressed led her to a life-style of extreme austerity.
personally, i would have thought a more moral response would be to try and actually *alleviate* the suffering of the distressed. sounds to me like rock stars sleeping rough for a night in order to sympathise with the homeless.

The historical "double stain" on the Church that Simone Weil denounces originates in the fact that Israel imposed on Christian believers the acceptance of the Old Testament and its almighty God
the historical ignorance here is staggering. israel "imposed" NOTHING on christianity. when christianity split off from judaism, it TOOK what it wanted and ditched what it didn't, so this statement is clearly balderdash.

its universal redemptive mission, the Church became from its very beginnings heir of Jewish nationalism
meaning what, exactly? how was this alleged jewish nationalism actualised in any recognisable form?

Correspondingly, Simone Weil stresses that the rejection of idolatry does not presuppose a positive belief in the one God, but just the refusal to identify the divine with power.
if you mean not worshipping power as Divine, we would agree and so would most religions. if you mean worshipping the Divine as powerful, there is certainly a place for that and to deny the power of the Divine would be futile.

Simone Weil regarded Jewish nationalism as a variety of the "idolâtrie sociale" [social idolatry] at work in the illegitimate self-assertions of the Roman Empire
what, you mean like when the roman empire destroyed jewish nationalism, razed our Temple to the ground and slaughtered hundreds of thousands of my people, sending the rest into exile? is that what you're referring to?

Simone Weil's view of the Hebrew Bible is in fact much more nuanced than most of her critics seem prepared to acknowledge.
to ascribe anything at all of value to the "hebrew bible" without acknowledging G!D's Divine Name (the Tetragrammaton) is illogic of the highest order.

While the Hebrews in pre-Exilic times did not worship God as the Good, and, in consequence, were not able to distinguish between God and the devil
RUBBISH. we don't *have* a devil and the figure of ha-satan is not to be understood as such. as for not worshipping G!D as "the Good", that is a christian, dualistic idea which we reject. G!D Is All, Creating both ideas of good and evil, which are concepts with meaning for humanity.

those living after the Exile introduced in their narratives insights deriving from Chaldean, Persian and Greek wisdom that contradicted the idolatry inherent in their past beliefs.
if anything, imports from chaldea and persia at least did precisely the opposite. i don't think you (or simone weil) actually understand the relationship between greek and jewish thought at all, you're being completely flummoxed by its mediation through christianity.

Thus, Simone Weil praises the Book of Job as "une pure merveille de vérité et d´authenticité"[32] [a pure marvel of truth and authenticity]
which means what, exactly? she liked it? well, whoop-de-doo.

and characterizes Daniel as "le premier être pur"[33] [the first pure (human) being].
conveniently ignoring any of the patriarchs, or moses. in particular the characterisation of jacob as "ish tam" is important here.

She further asserts that the prophet Isaiah was the first one to bring "de la lumière pure" [pure light] and that some of his "paroles fulgurantes"[shining words] concerning the Suffering Servant urged her to believe.
in which case, she's been as misled as anyone else who thinks that the "suffering servant" is anyone but the people of israel. i am still astonished at just how much of a clanger this is. as for it being "pure", on what basis does she assert it and on what basis does she define "purity"? not on her knowledge of hebrew, that's for sure.

In a passage of Lettre à un religieux, for instance, she considers the Song of Songs and certain psalms as untainted by the false idea of God
in which case, she is flying in the face of most biblical scholarship, to say nothing of traditional scholarship.

Simone Weil will even antedate the appearance of emblematic figures of purity and include among them Abel, Enoch, Noah and Melchizedek.
that's probably because she didn't know the sources. remember, noah was "righteous in his generation" - and look at his generation.

In light of these significant nuances, her approach of Judaism, far from being a token of Jewish self-hatred, is indicative of a self-critical intelligence prepared to question generally cherished assumptions for the sake of the truth it relentless [sic] searches.
unfortunately, all these nuances amount to a nothing more than a vast ignorance of the sources involved, let alone of judaism itself rather than a triumphalist straw-man.

In the last resort, Simone Weil's intellectual endeavors are remindful of the anti-idolatrous, self-critical tradition that was grounded by the Hebrew prophets
gosh, it's like this woman was supposed to be the greatest thinker in the history of humanity, what absolute eyewash.

This quality of thought doesn't fit your PC mindset. Your choice.
i think it's more that this quality of waffle doesn't fit the evidence, nor does it demonstrate any kind of insight beyond the most feeble, dated anti-jewish polemic. and of what does this alleged political correctness of my mindset consist? of actually knowing something about judaism, perhaps? in my universe, it is considered advisable to learn something about a subject which one wishes to critique.

The whole point is that the psychological benefits of the law both individually and collectively, requires just such consistency.
to be precise: that's the point the sources and the sages consistently make.

The result of our adaptation to secularism has made it impossible.
the whole of judaism (and, i would argue, any moral code worth the name) is a rejection and negation of that argument.

Those like Simone who are expressing the essence of Christianity see that it is the world that sustains moral hypocrisy. This is why Jesus said the world must hate the message.
if the message is that the world is evil, then it is a profoundly outdated, not to say mediaeval one - and, moreover, a christian one, not a jewish one. for us, G!D Created the world in order that we could exercise moral choice; in the absence of choice, we would remain in an edenic, angelic state. we do not approve of celibacy, asceticism or the negation of the world, because we are here to actually do good in it. if simone weil was unable to accept that as a mission, then frankly i regard her as a great moral coward.

Do you appreciate the meaning? How do you differentiate between life and death?
the meaning of what? i differentiate between life and death in every area of my life, from the food i eat to my interpersonal relations, in every aspect of my moral being - "life and good" against "death and evil". it's not rocket science.

It means something only a very few are capable of. It means to impartially and consciously witness your hypocrisy and acquire the ability to receive external impressions without defensive preconditioning.
more pompous, elitist, pretentious hogwash. any moral regime demands precisely this. i bet you've never studied the "palm tree of deborah", the "path of the just" or just about any chasidic text. it just goes to show it is easy to make sweeping generalisations about a thought system of which you and simone weil are both thoroughly ignorant. in fact, your slack-jawed adulation and puffery on behalf of this rather underwhelming figure comes across as virtually undistinguishable from any tuppeny-ha'penny street-hustler evangelist or cult-huckster i've ever encountered.

my undergrad degree was in french, with a substantial component of dialectics and philosophy. simone weil and camus may impress the hell out of you, but i'm afraid that there are far more interesting, sophisticated and nuanced (not to mention tolerant) philosophical perspectives out there, many of whom know how to enjoy themselves (with the exception of foucault and derrida) and at least a small number of which i will reluctantly admit are french; but this ain't one of them. i suggest you take a correspondence course, or at least buy a copy of bertrand russell's "history of western philosophy"; you appear to have a far more closed mind than i.

Simone is suggesting learning how to question pertaining to something beyond the mundane. Unfortunately it is an ability only a few have.
yes, many people simply find a figure to build a cult of personality around, regardless of whether the figure merits it.

b'shalom

bananabrain

excuse *me*, but where exactly do you get off coming in here and lecturing me? who made you the king of everyone? i don't remember getting that particular memo. what total arrogance.

Some people are willing to admit their failings and others are not. Transcendent Interfaith leads one to the truth discovered by Socrates which is that we know nothing. I admit it and you don't. OK.

Secular Interfaith seeks to reveal the commonalities of the great traditions at the level of man on earth. Transcendent Interfaith seeks to discover and experience the commonalities of the great traditions at their source which does not originate on the earth.

well, if what you mean by "transcendent interfaith" is about being breathtakingly patronising to people that don't see eye to eye with you about how we're all missing what it's *really* about, then i suggest you might like to set up your own website to preach from. that is not what interfaith.org is about.

Transcendent Interfaith will appear patronizing and insulting. Socrates admitted that those becoming aware of a source that transcends the secular will not be tolerated. From the cave analogy:

[Socrates] And if there were a contest, and he had to compete in measuring the shadows with the prisoners who had never moved out of the cave, while his sight was still weak, and before his eyes had become steady (and the time which would be needed to acquire this new habit of sight might be very considerable) would he not be ridiculous? Men would say of him that up he went and down he came without his eyes; and that it was better not even to think of ascending; and if any one tried to loose another and lead him up to the light, let them only catch the offender, and they would put him to death.

I couldn't post this concept of awareness of the light that reveals secularism for what it is if people could shoot through the Internet. You are limited to scorn and expressions of righteous indignation.

You are ignorant of people like Simone. They are not the usual and earn your scorn for their individuality. Stephanie Strickland is a very earthy woman and poet. She writes of SImone from the earth perspective:

From The Red Virgin: A Poem of Simone Weilby Stephanie Strickland which won the Brittingham Prize in Poetry in 1993:

"Weil came to her philosophical and religious ideas by a path that included elite university training, factory work, potato digging, harvest in the vineyards, teaching philosophy to adolescent women, partisanship in trade unions, anarchistic Socialism, pacifism, rejection of pacifism, a conversion experience that did not lead her to joining ... a religion, exile in New York City, and employment by De Gaulle's government-in-exile in London.

Weil used her body as a tool as well as a weapon. She threw herself under the wheels of the same issues women are starving for answers to today: issues of hunger, violence, exclusion, betrayl of the body, inability to be heard, and self-hate. ...

"Weil, our shrewdest political observer since Machiavelli, was never deceived by the glamor of power, and she committed herself to resisting force in whatever guise. More 'prophet' than 'saint,' more 'wise woman' than either, she bore a particular kind of bodily knowledge that the Western tradition cannot absorb. Simone Weil belongs to a world culture, still to be formed, where the voices of multiple classes, castes, races, genders, ethnicities, nationalities, and religions, can be respected. To achieve this culture is an impossible task, but, as Weil would remind us, not on that account to be forsaken.

Today we look to Weil for hope, for meditation, for the bridge a body makes. She knew that the truth had been 'taken captive,' and that we must 'seek at greater depth our own source,' because power destroys the past, the past with its treasures of alternative ideals that stand in judgment on the present."

Some rock star. You are too busy complaining and criticizing to ever come to appreciate these very special people. There were only seven people at her funeral outside of family. Now she is loved around the world. There was no money in this. She became known because what she had to contribute was felt needed to be known. this is why people like T.S. Eliot and Albert Camus published her writings at their own expense. It just needed to be done. She grew to appreciate what Interfaith with the transcendent perspective as its goal is capable of. You still want to complain. Your choice. I choose the apostate.

the historical ignorance here is staggering. israel "imposed" NOTHING on christianity. when christianity split off from judaism, it TOOK what it wanted and ditched what it didn't, so this statement is clearly balderdash.

The essence of Christianity existed long before Jesus arrival. Jesus actualized it. Dr Leroy Finch describes well the essential difference between Christianity and Judaism in his book: Simone Weil and the intellect of Grace.
In chapter 12: Time and Timelessness, he makes the following comparison between Judaism and Christianity:

................The law has a timeless character just because it is laid down once and for all as part of the timeless myth or timeless history of the people. Even when it is practiced by only a handful of people, it remains alive and authoritative. These Orthodox people are a demonstration of the original character of Judaism which did not distinguish the sacred from the secular and united the cultural, the biological, and the religious in one timeless system.

I turn to the Christian experience of time and timelessness. This is as much a closed book to Jews as the Jewish point of view is to Christians. But as the Jews have their treasure which is the treasure of the Law preserved in the torah, Christians too have their treasure, which is the spirit of Christ preserved in the Gospels.

If we study the Gospels we will find that it is life in the present - not in the timeless present of past and future, but in the (timeful) present of the NOW - that is the true essence of Christianity The secret of the teaching of Christ is that all true life is life in the present, as distinct from the past and the future. This is where reality is. If there is no experience of the present, as the now, then there is no real life at all.

Secularizing Christianity into Christendom just eliminates the "NOW" and the concern shifts as to what to do and an image rather than what one IS in relation to the transcendent reality.

what, you mean like when the roman empire destroyed jewish nationalism, razed our Temple to the ground and slaughtered hundreds of thousands of my people, sending the rest into exile? is that what you're referring to?

Social idolatry is the idolatry of the Great Beast that people are persuaded to sacrifice their potential individuality for. A person cannot become themselves when they worship the Beast.

You have your mind made up as to the superiority of secular Judaism. Being that hypocrisy is a true Interfaith phenomenon that encompasses all races and religions, I'm more open to admitting it and seeing the "Beast."

You talk about reading this or reading that but do you have the courage of convictions to live it as did Simone? No. Simone cannot be a cult figure because she doesn't appeal to egotism but to the deeper more real essence of humanity by demanding that we become open at the expense of our vanity and self justification.
"Human beings are so made that the ones who do the crushing feel nothing; it is the person crushed who feels what is happening. Unless one has placed oneself on the side of the oppressed, to feel with them, one cannot understand." Simone Weil

As long as we pontificate and complain, we don't "understand" regardless of platitudes.

Nick A said:
Some people are willing to admit their failings and others are not.
i'm perfectly willing to admit my failings. i just don't think you have any idea what they are. and, for the record, some that aren't on that list:

1. my low opinion of simone weil based on what i've learned so far
2. my low opinion of people who have one answer for everything
3. my low opinion of people who think they have all of the answers

in connection with which:

Transcendent Interfaith leads one to the truth discovered by Socrates which is that we know nothing. I admit it and you don't. OK.
philosophically, in a pure sense, no-one knows anything. but, by the same token, in a pure sense nothing other than G!D Exists. however, i'll still have to make my mortgage payments this month, so socratic wisdom notwithstanding, there are, in fact, some things we can know. you seem to "know" plenty about the american political process, i don't see you babbling about socrates in those threads. all this is, therefore, is an obfuscation tactic which is aimed at making you sound like you know more about philosophy than does, in fact, appear to be the case.

Secular Interfaith seeks to reveal the commonalities of the great traditions at the level of man on earth. Transcendent Interfaith seeks to discover and experience the commonalities of the great traditions at their source which does not originate on the earth.
interesting definitions, i believe there's a thread running on this now so i'll take this part of the discussion over to there. i will confine myself to noting that "secular" is an entirely misleading and inappropriate word in this case (presumably because it sounds mundane by comparison to "transcendent"). more to the point, interfaith dialogue does far more than "reveal commonalities". i think i see what you mean by "transcendent" interfaith, but i don't see how you could achieve that on the internet, it sounds like a lot of people talking about their mystical experiences and, frankly, as karen armstrong has pointed out on numerous occasions, we already know that mystics tend to agree. if you are suggesting that the results of "transcendent interfaith" should be used to reconcile the great traditions, i would say go ahead, there's a bunch of people who are interested in that and they haven't got anywhere yet, partly because they come across as a bunch of arrogant, elitist know-alls (see my earlier list)

Socrates admitted that those becoming aware of a source that transcends the secular will not be tolerated.
what that translates into is, in layman's terms, "nobody likes the awkward squad" or "iconoclasts tend to be unpopular". however, you're committing a major logical fallacy here, in assuming that because you seek to present yourself as someone who is outside the cave, that a) you *are* actually outside the cave, b) that the enlightenment you seek to bring is new and c) that because your point of view is unpopular, it must be iconoclastic or in some way dangerous. if i had a quid for every time i heard someone like you banging on about this i'd be able to go out for dinner more often. i'm afraid i've heard nothing from you that was even vaguely original or insightful.

You are limited to scorn and expressions of righteous indignation.
well, when i come across pretentious fortune-cookie mysticism masquerading as The Hidden Secret Knowledge That The Established Religions Don't Want You To Realise i tend to be quite direct, especially if it includes a substantial amount of ignorance about my religion whilst attempting to criticise it.

You are ignorant of people like Simone. They are not the usual and earn your scorn for their individuality.
on the contrary, people like simone are ten a penny in the intellectual and spiritual world. it's pabulum for diet mystics. generally one can tell by the sheer amount of verbiage and technical terminology that is generated in an attempt to obscure the essential poverty of the argument.

Simone Weil belongs to a world culture, still to be formed, where the voices of multiple classes, castes, races, genders, ethnicities, nationalities, and religions, can be respected.
i have yet to understand how this can be achieved by referring to my religion as "the great beast". you talk about respect, nick, but i'm not seeing anything but ignorance and arrogance. where's the intellectual enquiry? where's your vaunted socratic wisdom when it comes to the vast storehouse of jewish spiritual civilisation?

To achieve this culture is an impossible task, but, as Weil would remind us, not on that account to be forsaken.
rabbi tarfon taught, nearly 2000 years ago, that "you are not expected to complete the task, but neither are you free to desist from it." (mishnah, pirkei 'aboth 2:21)

Some rock star.
that's right. gesture politics are one thing and inspirational leadership is another.

Rabbi Joshua ben Levi asked the prophet Elijah, "Where shall I find the messiah?" The prophet replied, "At the gate of the city." "But how shall I recognize him?" "He sits among the lepers." Rabbi Joshua was startled and exclaimed, "Among the lepers? What is he doing there?" "He changes their bandages. He changes their bandages one by one." (BT sanhedrin, 98a)

people like T.S. Eliot and Albert Camus published her writings at their own expense.
ah, yes, t.s. eliot, that great appreciator of judaism....

The essence of Christianity existed long before Jesus arrival. Jesus actualized it.
if the essence is what i think you mean, he wasn't the only one. but i'm not arguing the merits of christianity as against judaism, i'm showing you that the statements i've seen about judaism from you in weil's name are not only insulting, but ignorant. i suggest you go and argue with thomas about how simone weil should replace the pope.

The law has a timeless character just because it is laid down once and for all as part of the timeless myth or timeless history of the people. Even when it is practiced by only a handful of people, it remains alive and authoritative. These Orthodox people are a demonstration of the original character of Judaism which did not distinguish the sacred from the secular and united the cultural, the biological, and the religious in one timeless system.
er.... this statement is self-contradictory. the very essence of judaism is to make precisely this set of distinctions (life and good, not death and evil) as part of just such an integrated, timeless, comprehensive system. i just don't think you have any idea of how that is done, even now, or how it works

Social idolatry is the idolatry of the Great Beast that people are persuaded to sacrifice their potential individuality for. A person cannot become themselves when they worship the Beast.
that's a failure of nationalism as a concept, not jewish nationalism in particular. nonetheless, the universalist credentials of judaism are rather better established than you appear to realise.

You have your mind made up as to the superiority of secular Judaism. Being that hypocrisy is a true Interfaith phenomenon that encompasses all races and religions, I'm more open to admitting it and seeing the "Beast."
er, no. i think that judaism is an excellent belief system, but i also believe that there are "many roads up the mountain", as the sufis say. judaism does not seek converts for this very reason. there is no hypocrisy in saying "this is who i am, this is where i come from and it is a good place to be from". it does not mean that other places are less good - only the conversionist, "pure" universalists are under the compunction that everyone has to see things the same way as they do, or they are not "saved", they are in some way less pleasing to the Divine.

You talk about reading this or reading that but do you have the courage of convictions to live it as did Simone?
traditional judaism is an exceedingly demanding lifestyle and it addresses precisely "the deeper more real essence of humanity by demanding that we become open at the expense of our vanity and self justification", as you would know if you knew anything about it, which is why i talked about reading. it isn't for everyone. ignorance, however, is not something to be proud of. like i say, you don't know me from what i write here. and i would likewise argue that simone weil had a large opportunity to prove the courage of her convictions by a) standing up to the nazis and b) learning something about where she was from, rather than constructing some distorted version of it to use as a straw man. but, no, far more impressive to be some sort of rock-star-philosopher-mystic. they like those in france.

Simone cannot be a cult figure because she doesn't appeal to egotism
how about yours? you come across like someone who's in a cult all right.

b'shalom

bananabrain

philosophically, in a pure sense, no-one knows anything. but, by the same token, in a pure sense nothing other than G!D Exists. however, i'll still have to make my mortgage payments this month, so socratic wisdom notwithstanding, there are, in fact, some things we can know. you seem to "know" plenty about the american political process, i don't see you babbling about socrates in those threads. all this is, therefore, is an obfuscation tactic which is aimed at making you sound like you know more about philosophy than does, in fact, appear to be the case.

What? I don't know anything? In the purest sense?

Perhaps you are on a higher plane than me, but the way I see it is, I certainly don't know nothing. I do know something. Also, what does it mean to "know purely?" What is "pure knowledge?" When is knowledge pure? When is knowledge impure? It sounds like another one of those lofty philosophical concepts and constructs that sound good but don't really make good sense.

I know that 1 + 1 = 2 in mathematics and "one-plus-one"-equals-"a-window" if you draw each worded item in that dashed list in bold (the phrases in quotes are regarded as one item) with each symbol adjacent, touching and items centred around two perpendicular lines of symmetry on a piece of paper, all with the same orientation. Of course, this can only be true in a universe with natural numbers, basic arithmetic, Hindu Arabic numerals, the implied mathematic symbols, writing tools and paper. But that is still knowledge!

Is it pure knowledge? I don't know. What is pure knowledge?

If that question has no answer, then I have to say that the statement that "nobody knows anything" is only true for people whose minds are empty. I would change the statement so that it instead said, "nobody knows anything ultimately valuable or meaningful."

Generally, any knowledge we have only has limited value and meaningful, unless you've got some way of exploiting it for an eternity. If there is such knowledge and I called that "true knowledge" (for the sake of argument, making up terms here; this is not some arcane, technical mumble jumble), then it is true that you can know something that it ultimately valuable and meaningful because its usefulness either lasts for an eternity or is infinitely useful.

So what would I say about finitely useful knowledge? How do you measure finitely useful knowledge? I'd say that there are many ways of measuring finitely useful knowledge.

Time:
Knowledge can be useful for 5 minutes, 2 seconds or a 100 years. You could measure this knowledge in seconds, minutes, hours and years. It could be the number of hours of fun and enjoyment you can get out of that knowledge.

Energy:
How much energy can you acquire that you can control and manipulate? You could measure this knowledge in joules and watts.

Ego and Winning:
Does it make you feel good about yourself? Does it earn you friends? Does it help you win a game of chess? If so, you could measure it by the number of friends you make and the number of wins you score in a game of chess.

Money:
Oh yes, the number one evil of society. Cash, pounds and dollars.

How much money can you make out of the knowledge you have? How long can you stay in business. How many years will it be until the next recession, depression or sub-prime mortgage crisis? If you're going to feed your knowledge into a capitalist, consumer-driven economic system, it could be the number of years it'll take for your knowledge to set up the "bubble" (as in credit/housing/dot com bubble) where you reap in loads of cash and funds (a boom) and all of a sudden, when the benefits run out, the bubble goes "bust."

i suggest you go and argue with thomas about how simone weil should replace the pope.

Hmmm . . . that would be interesting to see . . .

salty:

It sounds like another one of those lofty philosophical concepts and constructs that sound good but don't really make good sense.
that's actually the point i was making. sorry if it wasn't clear. the point about socratic wisdom is that it is a method of self-criticism, not an absolute statement - except, of course, that once you look into the implications, it reveals how hard it is to prove anything and how misleading the concept of a "fact" is - as this anecdote reveals:

This Way Up - A Socrates Joke

nonetheless, you wouldn't use it to, say, cross the road. unless you were a chicken, that is. in fact, socrates had much to say on the subject:

Why the chicken crossed the road - Uncyclopedia, the content-free encyclopedia

b'shalom

bananabrain

It also explains why he never found out that Plato was banging his wife.

Some comments:

Truth: He didn't know if it was true.
Good: No, it was bad news
Usefulness: Hey, wouldn't Socrates have wanted to know that Plato was banging this wife?

nonetheless, you wouldn't use it to, say, cross the road. unless you were a chicken, that is. in fact, socrates had much to say on the subject:

Why the chicken crossed the road - Uncyclopedia, the content-free encyclopedia

Some comments:

Truth: Yes, it was better on the other side.
Good: It was better on the other side.
Usefulness: This part I'm not so sure. Was the point to say that the chicken misled his/her children?

Maybe it was Truth. Now that the chicken was on the other side, what the cows said was no longer true.

Don't quite get the joke.

You have admitted what you do not believe to be your failings. This is what most do. So you are right, I don't know what they are but do have my suspicions.

Politics is an expression of the Great Beast. Remembering that helps put politics into the perspective of Plato's cave within which politics is argued. IMO it is as Simone remarked:

[SIZE=-1]
[SIZE=-1]The Great Beast is introduced in Book VI of The Republic. It represents the prejudices and passions of the masses. To please the Great Beast you call what it delights in Good, and what it dislikes Evil. In America this is called politics. [/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
Transcendent Interfaith isn't about mysticism but rather acquiring the ability with the help of the transcendent perspective to see the world and the beast within it for what it is.

what that translates into is, in layman's terms, "nobody likes the awkward squad" or "iconoclasts tend to be unpopular". however, you're committing a major logical fallacy here, in assuming that because you seek to present yourself as someone who is outside the cave, that a) you *are* actually outside the cave, b) that the enlightenment you seek to bring is new and c) that because your point of view is unpopular, it must be iconoclastic or in some way dangerous. if i had a quid for every time i heard someone like you banging on about this i'd be able to go out for dinner more often. i'm afraid i've heard nothing from you that was even vaguely original or insightful.

The major logical fallacy you are making is to assume that anyone willing to admit they are in prison within the cave is actually asserting they are outside the cave. I'm just open to admitting the human condition, myself included, rather then defending its hypocrisy. Secular religion at the exoteric level is an expression of cave life or the Great Beast. To defend itself it must fight higher conscious influences coming from outside the cave.

on the contrary, people like simone are ten a penny in the intellectual and spiritual world. it's pabulum for diet mystics. generally one can tell by the sheer amount of verbiage and technical terminology that is generated in an attempt to obscure the essential poverty of the argument.

You find me ten more that have the respect of a communist like Leon Trotsky and influence on a Pope like Pope Paul V1. You simply have no knowledge of people like Simone. With her there is no excess verbiage. She gets down to it.

i have yet to understand how this can be achieved by referring to my religion as "the great beast". you talk about respect, nick, but i'm not seeing anything but ignorance and arrogance. where's the intellectual enquiry? where's your vaunted socratic wisdom when it comes to the vast storehouse of jewish spiritual civilisation?

You don't know what the Great Beast is. It is not limited to secular Judaism but rather the condition of the world. When Jesus says that the world must hate the teaching it is the Beast's dominance in the world. These are not easy concepts to understand

Simone Weil On Society and Solitude - Articles - House of Solitude - Hermitary

In an aphorism of "The Great Beast," Weil begins the transition from analyzing society to discovering a solution or antidote. Here her thoughts hearken to anthropological thinking circulating in the early twentieth century, which maintained that society is a project of individual relationships, a projection given life and meaning separate from those relationships, a projection to which power and thought and authority is renounced. This is not a renunciation to the fictional cooperative called "society" but to individuals as authorities, who then contrive the symbols, ploys, and coercive social structures. Anthropology called these "totems"--Weil does not use the term--which define God, religion, and the norms of society via the power of institutions to interpret and sanction.
According to Weil, the person's accession to society, the individual's renunciation of values to the collective as defined by a small group, is based on ignorance and fear, fear that without society (which is to say the state), people will collapse into crime and evil. The social and collective is seen as transcending individuals, as a supernatural entity from which nationalism and war is as normal as science, progress, and consumption. All of these evils are taking place simultaneously in a social context. The individual has probably never reflected on these issues at all, never acknowledged his or her degree of complicity in this system. But, say the apologist for the Great Beast, the individual need have no direct responsibility,
The collective is the object of all idolatry, this it is which chains us to the earth. In the case of avarice, gold is the social order. In the case of ambition, power is the social order.
Thus society itself is the Great Beast, not some particular product of society, not even the state, the mode of production, the capitalist class, or any other social product. The weight of humanity is a heavy and ponderous gravity, a force but a contrived force to which the individual remains oblivious.
As long as one accepts the "totem," and subordinates all values to the collective, the contrived dichotomy of good and evil will trap individuals in fear. But the solution to the dilemma Weil depicts is not Nietzsche's transcendence of morality but a simple perception of the nature of society, of the nature of the "Great Beast."
It is the social which throws the color of the absolute over the relative. The remedy is in the idea of relationship. Relationship breaks its way out of the social. It is the monopoly of the individual. Society is the cave. The way out is solitude.
Alluding to the allegory of the cave in Plato's Republic, where reality is seen second-hand as shadows on the wall rather than directly in the light of reality, Weil points to the compelling truth that everything people do or believe is based on a second-hand source: society. As long as individuals substitute society's view of reality for their own discoveries of reality -- so that the relationship to self, others, nature, and the universe is direct, immediate, intuitive, and accountable -- the individual will remain oppressed.
Conscience is deceived by the social. Our supplementary energy (imagination) is to a great extent taken up with the social. It has to be detached from it. That is the most difficult of detachments.
The most difficult of detachments , yet it can begin, not with action but with reflection.
Meditation on the social mechanism is in this respect a purification of the first importance. To contemplate the social is as good a way of detachment as to retire from the world. That is why I have not been wrong to rub shoulders with politics or society.
that's right. gesture politics are one thing and inspirational leadership is another.
Years after Simone died, her brother Andre asked people not to begin to make an idol out of his sister since all her life she fought against idolatry. Just contemplate her ideas.

er.... this statement is self-contradictory. the very essence of judaism is to make precisely this set of distinctions (life and good, not death and evil) as part of just such an integrated, timeless, comprehensive system. i just don't think you have any idea of how that is done, even now, or how it works

This is fine from the secular perspective but Dr. finch is referring to the distinction between the secular and the sacred. The sacred is a transcendent perspective until it devolves into the secular.
er, no. i think that judaism is an excellent belief system, but i also believe that there are "many roads up the mountain", as the sufis say. judaism does not seek converts for this very reason. there is no hypocrisy in saying "this is who i am, this is where i come from and it is a good place to be from". it does not mean that other places are less good - only the conversionist, "pure" universalists are under the compunction that everyone has to see things the same way as they do, or they are not "saved", they are in some way less pleasing to the Divine.
There are many roads up the mountain but their exoteric expressions turn in circles. It is the way of the Beast. Everything repeats as expressed in Ecclesiastes 3.
how about yours? you come across like someone who's in a cult all right.

If you call those that try to experience the great depth of Jesus' reference to the World hating the message, Plato referring to the antagonism of the cave to the light, and the Burning house of Buddhism as an expression of this same psychological captivation, I am indeed in this cult. It is a lot better IMO than the cult that worships the great god Oc which has become the occult.:D

Nick A said:
So you are right, I don't know what [your failings] are but do have my suspicions.
oh, right, so you're making personal criticisms of me based on assumptions that you haven't actually checked? that's really impressive. so what are these "suspicions", then?

Transcendent Interfaith isn't about mysticism but rather acquiring the ability with the help of the transcendent perspective to see the world and the beast within it for what it is.
we would argue that both our esoteric and exoteric traditions do just this perfectly adequately, in fact rather better than some, i dare say. what we would disagree on is in this rejectionist attitude to the world as it is rather than seeking to change it both exoterically and esoterically, which is very much part of the judaism you seem to think you and your idol know so much about.

The major logical fallacy you are making is to assume that anyone willing to admit they are in prison within the cave is actually asserting they are outside the cave.
that's not a logical fallacy, it's an assumption. there's a difference. perhaps i was misled by your assertion of "awareness of the light that reveals secularism for what it is", which appears to claim some sort of higher awareness.

Secular religion at the exoteric level is an expression of cave life or the Great Beast. To defend itself it must fight higher conscious influences coming from outside the cave.
hang on, you just said you were in the cave. now your influences are outside it again? or you're in the cave with the beast? does the beast have to leave the cave occasionally - perhaps to go on a training course or something?

you've also made *another* hugely sweeping generalisation - what, *all* "secular religion"? *everything* exoteric? how do you know? do you know everything about exoteric judaism, for example? if not, how do you know it's an expression of "cave life"? sorry for asking these awkward questions, of course, it must be quite inconvenient having the waffle machine opened up mid-sizzle. forgive me for asking for evidence - someone (i think it was carl sagan) said "extraordinary assertions demand extraordinary proof"....

You simply have no knowledge of people like Simone. With her there is no excess verbiage. She gets down to it.
gosh, i must have been misled by the amount of excess verbiage you've generated cut-and-pasting all those dreadfully tedious quotes.

You don't know what the Great Beast is. It is not limited to secular Judaism but rather the condition of the world. When Jesus says that the world must hate the teaching it is the Beast's dominance in the world. These are not easy concepts to understand
i do understand it. i just don't accept your stunningly clunky terminology, or your interpretation of what is actually going on. exoteric judaism is not what jesus was criticising when he said that, he was as usual criticising hypocrisy and the observance of outer form without moral content - and exoteric judaism has both, as he very well knew, as did the sages, who made the same criticism. however, the sages also said "the righteous amongst the nations have a portion in the world to come", so it is massively unhelpful to talk about "the world", it is hugely dismissive of the vast majority of people and implies a small group of the "enlightened" - and that is certainly not what judaism is about.

anthropological thinking circulating in the early twentieth century, which maintained that society is a project of individual relationships, a projection given life and meaning separate from those relationships, a projection to which power and thought and authority is renounced.
this is what the sages understood as the "idolatrous impulse", whereby human constructions are attributed Divine power. the muslims call this "shirk". it's not exactly a breakthrough.

This is not a renunciation to the fictional cooperative called "society" but to individuals as authorities, who then contrive the symbols, ploys, and coercive social structures.
oh, 18th century enlightenment yaaaaaaawn.

Anthropology called these "totems"--Weil does not use the term--which define God, religion, and the norms of society via the power of institutions to interpret and sanction.
yeah, the only problem with that is that anthropology has now widely discredited this sort of analytics, as it observes from the outside without understanding what is going on and ignores what the people involved actually believe and do.

According to Weil, the person's accession to society, the individual's renunciation of values to the collective as defined by a small group, is based on ignorance and fear, fear that without society (which is to say the state), people will collapse into crime and evil.
the sages, writing in the context of roman military occupation, actually made this similar comment: "pray for the good of the government, for without it people would swallow each other alive." yet the judaism they shaped insists on precisely the opposite result, namely that an individual's commitment to moral values can sustain even a small group in an idolatrous, violent society.

The individual has probably never reflected on these issues at all, never acknowledged his or her degree of complicity in this system. But, say the apologist for the Great Beast, the individual need have no direct responsibility
it's an integral part of our moral commitment:

Seek the peace of the society to which I have Exiled you, and pray for it to G!D, for in its peace you shall have peace. (jeremiah 29:7)
clear enough?

The weight of humanity is a heavy and ponderous gravity, a force but a contrived force to which the individual remains oblivious.
the more i see things like this, the more i am astounded at how simone weil could have been ignorant of how jewish a statement it is.

It is the social which throws the color of the absolute over the relative. The remedy is in the idea of relationship. Relationship breaks its way out of the social. It is the monopoly of the individual. Society is the cave. The way out is solitude.
this is the point at which, unfortunately, it all goes tits-up. monasticism? isolation? *that's* her solution? what a complete moral failure - and, more to the point, precisely the opposite of jesus's response. judaism is nothing if not social. i struggle to see how a human society can exist at all, at least based on solitude. how utterly bleak. how utterly cold. how utterly inhuman.

Weil points to the compelling truth that everything people do or believe is based on a second-hand source: society.
i find this neither true nor compelling - again, you're letting your hyperbole get in the way of making a convincing argument.

i am forced to wonder, if you admire solitude and reflection so much, why are you wasting your time here with us beastly troglodytes? why don't you go off and spend some time in sole reflection and come back when you've changed society? i'll do you a packed lunch. reflection is no good if it doesn't result in change.

Just contemplate her ideas.
i am contemplating them. they make very little sense. or maybe that's you.

This is fine from the secular perspective but Dr. finch is referring to the distinction between the secular and the sacred. The sacred is a transcendent perspective until it devolves into the secular.
again with the clunky terminology. there is no such thing as "secular" in judaism. there is a term "hol", meaning "profane", which is the opposite of "kodesh", meaning "holy", but lacking the connotation of separation, which is implicit in the etymology of "kodesh". in short, this makes no sense in terms of the philosophical categories of judaism.

There are many roads up the mountain but their exoteric expressions turn in circles.
one might even say they go right up their own fundaments, or perhaps that's just you.

is a lot better IMO than the cult that worships the great god Oc which has become the occult.
oh, for feck's sake, you sound like a JW or one of those evangelist idiots. get over yourself. this is an interfaith dialogue board, not the simone weil appreciation society. why don't you go and start your own forum? then you could bore both your visitors rigid to your heart's content.

b'shalom

bananabrain

BB

oh, right, so you're making personal criticisms of me based on assumptions that you haven't actually checked? that's really impressive. so what are these "suspicions", then?

You do appear very defensive.

we would argue that both our esoteric and exoteric traditions do just this perfectly adequately, in fact rather better than some, i dare say. what we would disagree on is in this rejectionist attitude to the world as it is rather than seeking to change it both exoterically and esoterically, which is very much part of the Judaism you seem to think you and your idol know so much about.

The idea here isn't being a scholar of Judaism but why Christianity and Judaism are not the same. The exoteric level cannot see the Beast for what it is because it is the Beast so cannot have impartiality but rather seeks to justify itself. Nothing can change because the Beast lacks the collective consciousness that makes change possible.

hang on, you just said you were in the cave. now your influences are outside it again? or you're in the cave with the beast? does the beast have to leave the cave occasionally - perhaps to go on a training course or something?

The Beast cannot leave the cave. However as individuals within the Beast sometimes we feel awakening influences from outside the cave which disturb our cave life. We are still in the cave as we experience these awakening psychological influences. A few begin to pursue them in pursuit of their awakened individuality.

you've also made *another* hugely sweeping generalisation - what, *all* "secular religion"? *everything* exoteric? how do you know? do you know everything about exoteric judaism, for example? if not, how do you know it's an expression of "cave life"? sorry for asking these awkward questions, of course, it must be quite inconvenient having the waffle machine opened up mid-sizzle. forgive me for asking for evidence - someone (i think it was carl sagan) said "extraordinary assertions demand extraordinary proof"....

It isn't a matter of details but of consciousness. The exoteric level lacks any sustained consciousness so everything just happens in reaction to external influences and follows nature's cycles. The transcendent level is conscious and the esoteric level contains those making the efforts to "know thyself" in pursuit of conscious awareness.. Society in the World whether considered Judaism, Christian or anything else is the Beast. The Beast is the unconscious World within which we continually react. The esoteric part of the religion though within it is hidden and the exoteric level is unconcerned with it. Proof of consciousness can only come from attempts at consciousness and then we become aware of how we lack sustained consciousness.

i do understand it. i just don't accept your stunningly clunky terminology, or your interpretation of what is actually going on. exoteric judaism is not what jesus was criticising when he said that, he was as usual criticising hypocrisy and the observance of outer form without moral content - and exoteric judaism has both, as he very well knew, as did the sages, who made the same criticism. however, the sages also said "the righteous amongst the nations have a portion in the world to come", so it is massively unhelpful to talk about "the world", it is hugely dismissive of the vast majority of people and implies a small group of the "enlightened" - and that is certainly not what judaism is about.

It is what Christianity is about and one way in which it distinct from Christendom which is man made Christianity. If the World rejects it, it can only be for a minority. You know on a holiday the traffic dept. announces the amount of deaths on the road they predict. These deaths will happen. Our choice is if we want to be part of them. though Christianity is for a minority, a person can decide if they wish to be a part of this minority. Christianity doesn't reject the world, the world rejects Christianity.

it's an integral part of our moral commitment:

Words are one thing but what we do is another. It is the nature of human hypocrisy.

this is the point at which, unfortunately, it all goes tits-up. monasticism? isolation? *that's* her solution? what a complete moral failure - and, more to the point, precisely the opposite of jesus's response. judaism is nothing if not social. i struggle to see how a human society can exist at all, at least based on solitude. how utterly bleak. how utterly cold. how utterly inhuman.

Solitude doesn't require living in the desert. It means acquiring attention, a quality of self awareness, that frees a person from being part of the "collective." Read further into the article. Granted most people appreciate being a cog in the collective, but there is a minority that seek their individuality. The beginning requires the study of attention. Rather than being cold, it offers a warmth most never experience from being caught up in dreams
"A test of what is real is that it is hard and rough. Joys are found in it, not pleasure. What is pleasant belongs to dreams."
-- Gravity and Grace

excerpts as noted from GRAVITY AND GRACE by Simone Weil, New York, G. P. Putnam & Sons, 1952. edited and arranged by Gustave Thibon, translated by Emma Craufurd
i am forced to wonder, if you admire solitude and reflection so much, why are you wasting your time here with us beastly troglodytes? why don't you go off and spend some time in sole reflection and come back when you've changed society? i'll do you a packed lunch. reflection is no good if it doesn't result in change.

Again, the idea isn't to hide away but learning to become consciously open to reality. It begins with admitting that we are incapable of this.

You are making the mistake of equating Judaism and Christianity. They are different as explained by Dr. Finch.. both serve their purposes and both can be and are abused. This is why it is meaningless IMO to be concerned with why Christians don't worship as Jews do. There is no reason for doing so

Back