I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul

You know as well as me that there is no such animal as "uni-directional" COC. The other name for it is "chaos" or "anarchy"
Uni-directional: Orders, promotions, authority, responsibility, pay... all in one direction. Where is God in the chain-of-command?

Chaos? Chaos is often good. I look at transportation, communication, and businesses in the world and I see a fair bit of chaos.
Anarchy? With or without God?

Oh, and as an aside...why is it that the place where the privates eat is called the General mess, and where the Generals eat is called the "private mess"?
Where would Jesus eat?

Uni-directional: Orders, promotions, authority, responsibility, pay... all in one direction. Where is God in the chain-of-command?

Chaos? Chaos is often good. I look at transportation, communication, and businesses in the world and I see a fair bit of chaos.
Anarchy? With or without God?

Where would Jesus eat?

Strange concept to apply to orders, promotions, authority, responsibility, pay, doesn't work that way. What does God have to do with any of this, but overseeing the whole of man's business? In this light he is overseer.

Jesus eats where he is welcome...enters where the door is opened to him...

Just as reminders, Chris, just as reminders.

If you want to compose something that comes from the heart and speaks to everybody about the nature of interfaith dialogue, its value and meaning; go for it. Maybe it too will get stickied. ;)

As a reminder that moderating speech by censorship and suspension is a false dichotomy that entrenches intolerance, making it more and more difficult to live peaceably with our neighbors.

As a reminder that moderating speech by censorship and suspension is a false dichotomy that entrenches intolerance, making it more and more difficult to live peaceably with our neighbors.

I see some truth in this, Cyberpi, but I also think a truly wise person would self-moderate and self-censor. Unfortunately these are not skills commonly taught anymore, and are woefully lacking in many discussions on many subjects.

I see some truth in this, Cyberpi, but I also think a truly wise person would self-moderate and self-censor. Unfortunately these are not skills commonly taught anymore, and are woefully lacking in many discussions on many subjects.
I too am like anyone else thinking that people should, or should not do, some things. The issue is the manner in which we or they or you or I or him or her are convinced to do, or not to do, those things.

A choker chain and shock collar works great on a dog. Surely we could each dutifully wire one into our computers and hand our neighbors a remote so that we, or them, could be more effectively moderated.

I too am like anyone else thinking that people should, or should not do, some things. The issue is the manner in which we or they or you or I or him or her are convinced to do, or not to do, those things.

A choker chain and shock collar works great on a dog. Surely we could each dutifully wire one into our computers and hand our neighbors a remote so that we, or them, could be more effectively moderated.

Tact is one of the finer nuanced portions of wisdom. About the only teacher I can recommend is experience, and that *only* if the student is ready and willing to receive the instruction.

Tact is one of the finer nuanced portions of wisdom. About the only teacher I can recommend is experience, and that *only* if the student is ready and willing to receive the instruction.
Yes... moderating speech by censorship and suspension is a false dichotomy that entrenches intolerance because the student is neither ready, nor willing, nor the witness of any tact whatsoever.

Yes... moderating speech by censorship and suspension is a false dichotomy that entrenches intolerance because the student is neither ready, nor willing, nor the witness of any tact whatsoever.

Not to mention; good teachers are also good students still capable of learning. ;)

Not to mention; good teachers are also good students still capable of learning. ;)
Back to the point: the alleged bad teachers and bad students are also still capable of teaching and learning... as long as they have not been censored or suspended from whatever or whomever it is that they would have taught or learned from. ;)

Back to the point: the alleged bad teachers and bad students are also still capable of teaching and learning... as long as they have not been censored or suspended from whatever or whomever it is that they would have taught or learned from. ;)

In a perfect world, yes.

Who among us is perfect? I'm not.

That is not to say I cannot learn from a bad student or a bad teacher, but typically I learn what *not* to do, say or think.

In a real world, or some cyber-semblence of it, sometimes other considerations must take precedence. Respect is the biggest consideration, in my opinion. Without respect, such "teaching and learning" disintegrates into chaos and serves no purpose other than background noise.

Yes, those who moderate speech by censorship and suspension are exceedingly disrespectful. In the act they are horrid teachers. Self-righteous. That "teaching and learning" disintegrates into chaos, but does still serve a purpose. An example. Moderating speech by censorship and suspension is a false dichotomy that entrenches intolerance, making it more and more difficult to live peaceably with our neighbors.

Yes, those who moderate speech by censorship and suspension are exceedingly disrespectful. In the act they are horrid teachers. Self-righteous. That "teaching and learning" disintegrates into chaos, but does still serve a purpose. An example. Moderating speech by censorship and suspension is a false dichotomy that entrenches intolerance, making it more and more difficult to live peaceably with our neighbors.
If my children are subject to a neighbor's children that is ahborrant, and disrespectful, I will "censure" that situation for the sake of my children.

If one of my peers is disrespectful of another peer or another peer's way of life, I will address that quite quickly.

If authority is given to some to keep the peace and maintain a semblance of respect for the whole, it would be a delinquency of the duties of the one's placed in authority for that purpose, to not regulate that which the majority finds disrespectful.

Anarchy hold no respect for anyone, including the anarchist. There is no semblance of law, infact there is no law. Which by all rights, Mob rule could take affect and go after the "anarchist" with what ever form of "justice" they wish to impose.

Your philosophy taken to a greater degree, is walking a high and narrow fence, with no net on either side...

If my children are subject to a neighbor's children that is ahborrant, and disrespectful, I will "censure" that situation for the sake of my children.
I submit another approach: Rather than keeping the children in the dark offer them advice of how to handle and contend with the language of other children on their own.

If one of my peers is disrespectful of another peer or another peer's way of life, I will address that quite quickly.
I think a 3rd party response is good... with the emphasis of responding with words and rebuke rather than censure and suspension. Yet I also recognize the value of the one peer learning to equally speak up for their way of life with the other peer, without 3rd party interference.

If authority is given to some to keep the peace and maintain a semblance of respect for the whole, it would be a delinquency of the duties of the one's placed in authority for that purpose, to not regulate that which the majority finds disrespectful.
A speech thug does not bring peace, nor respect, to the world... no more than a massacre grows peace or respect.

Anarchy hold no respect for anyone, including the anarchist. There is no semblance of law, infact there is no law.
I think you have confused the role of speech in law. Without speech the law is vacant and mute. You think I am promoting anarchy, whereas I am promoting law. Albeit perhaps not the law that you favor.

Which by all rights, Mob rule could take affect and go after the "anarchist" with what ever form of "justice" they wish to impose.
Does a mob NOT utilize censure and suspension? I like to refer it as "Just-US".

Your philosophy taken to a greater degree, is walking a high and narrow fence, with no net on either side...
So then best to not fall down to the level of those teaching speech by censure and suspension. It is a false dichotomy that entrenches intolerance, making it more and more difficult to live peaceably with our neighbors.

Lol, God help the people you ever lead...they'll be dead, and I suspect so will you, with this philosophy.

Dysfunctional at best...

Back