Mystery Thread

For a different dessert that doesn't require an oven:

Black Forest Ice Cream Pie

1 chocolate cookie crumb crust
1 qt. vanilla ice cream
1 c. cherry pie filling
2 chocolate graham crackers, broken into bite-size pieces
1 c. hot fudge ice cream topping, warmed

Fill the crust with scoops of ice cream. Top with dollops of filling. Insert graham cracker pieces between the scoops of ice cream. Invert plastic cover and place over pie.

Freeze two hours or until firm. Remove 15-20 minutes before serving, then drizzle with hot fudge. Serves 8 people
It's not exactly diabetic-friendly. :eek:

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

I used to make this with cheesecake instead of icecream. Don't forget the slivered almonds :)

What if one were to substitute Moosetracks for the Vanilla ice cream and peaches for the cherries? I wonder if that would taste ok.

What if one were to substitute Moosetracks for the Vanilla ice cream and peaches for the cherries? I wonder if that would taste ok.
If you want peaches, I would suggest maple-nut ice cream and a gingersnap crumb crust, with hot caramel sauce instead of the hot fudge. :)

Or--you can try french vanilla ice cream, a crushed sugar icecream cone crust, and a warm raspberry sauce with the peaches. Nice sunny color combination. :)

Oriiginally posted by seattlegal
Or--you can try french vanilla ice cream, a crushed sugar icecream cone crust, and a warm raspberry sauce with the peaches. Nice sunny color combination. :)

Peach Melba Ice Cream Pie! :D

I guess one can substitute peach ice cream for the French vanilla, too. :eek:

Oh, and don't forget the broken up ice cream cones instead of the chocolate graham crackers. :)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Another WiP for those who like chocolate and coffee

Mud Pie

1 chocolate cookie crust
1 pt. chocolate ice cream, softened
1 pt. coffee ice cream, softened
1 c. hot fudge sauce, warmed
Whipped cream, optional

Carefully mix the ice creams together. Pour into the crust and freeze until firm.

15 minutes before serving, drizzle the pie with the hot fudge sauce.

Serves 8 "normal" people

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

I made miniature chocolate cheesecakes using premade phyllo cups, and I gilded the lily by sticking a bit of fresh raspberries or tinned mandarin oranges into the chocolate filling.

Will post the mini chocolate cheesecake recipe later if anybody wants it. :kitty:s are standing by with their modified telephone operator headphones on. :eek:

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

I have three recipes for cheesecake (two are chocolate,) and two of them are tried-and-true (one of the chocolate cheesecakes and a harvest apple cheesecake.)

I'm willing to share them if anybody's interested. :eek:

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

I have three recipes for cheesecake (two are chocolate,) and two of them are tried-and-true (one of the chocolate cheesecakes and a harvest apple cheesecake.)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

I'm very interested, please keep posting recipes, Rating: 10/out of 5 possible chocolate kisses :D.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Lux and I would like the harvest apple cheesecake recipe, please. :)

He loves to try new recipes, and likes to help cook. He's not too big on helping out with the cleanup, unfortunately. {Except when it comes to cleaning his plate! :eek: }

Harvest Apple Cheesecake

2 c. graham cracker crumbs
1/3 c. brown sugar, packed
1 stick butter, melted and divided
1 T. cinnamon
3 apples, peeled, cored and sliced into 12 rings
4 eggs
3/4 c. sugar
8 oz. ricotta cheese
8-oz. package cream cheese, softened
2 t. vanilla extract
8 oz. whipping cream
Garnish: cinnamon

Combine cracker crumbs, brown sugar, 4 T. butter and cinnamon. Press on bottom and part way up sides of a 9" springform pan. In a skillet, saute the apple slices in the remaining 4 T. butter. Arrange 6 slices of apple on prepared crust. In a bowl, beat eggs, sugar, ricotta, cream cheese and vanilla until smooth. Add whipping cream and blend. Pour cheese mixture into springform pan over apple slices. Arrange the remaining 6 apple slices on top and press apples slightly under the mixture. Sprinkle top generously with cinnamon. Bake at 450 degrees F. for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 300 degrees and bake for 50 to 55 minutes. Cool and refrigerate overnight.
I got this recipe out of a cookbook I received in a cookbook exchange several years ago, and it saved a Thanksgiving dinner I was invited to (one of the hostesses made a vegan pumpkin pie recipe she got off of a website and nobody ate more that a couple of bites [they ended up throwing that pie away after a couple of weeks] whereas the cheesecake was gone before midnight.) I joked that nothing takes the taste of defeat away like a piece of harvest apple cheesecake. :eek:

Funny thing was that there were only four or five people at that party and a couple of :kitty:s.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Not a cheesecake, but it's something that might be appreciated by someone you know who is on either a temporary or a permanent gluten-free diet (it was another one of my experiments that, unlike several of my other "experiments", actually worked!)

Potato Crust "Pizza"

30 oz. peeled and shredded potatoes
12 oz. shredded Italian cheese blend
15 oz. tomatoes, diced finely
Favorite pizza toppings

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Coat the bottom of a 13 by 9 pan with either olive oil or olive oil spray. Line the pan with the shredded potatoes, top with cheese then the tomatoes. Add toppings.

Bake until the potatoes are cooked and the cheese is melted, roughly 30 minutes (you will be able to smell it's done.) Serve. :D

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Lemonade Experiment

1/2 c. sugar
1 c. lemon juice
2 c. still water
3 1/3 c. seltzer water

Mix the sugar, lemon juice and still water together in either a nonreactive pitcher or a shaker until the sugar is mostly dissolved. Add the seltzer and mix or shake gently until everything's mixed. Put in the refrigerator and chill thoroughly.

Serve either neat or on the rocks, possibly mixing with chilled ginger ale.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Layered Chocolate Pudding Pie

1 shortbread or graham cracker pie crust
1 pkg. white chocolate pudding mix
1 pkg. devil's food pudding mix
2 3/4 c. milk, divided

Optional: thin layer of peanut butter, fruit preserves, marmalade or sliced fresh strawberries or cherries

In two separate medium mixing bowls, empty the packages of pudding mix. Add 1 3/8 c. milk to each and mix thoroughly (approximately 5 minutes.) Pour the devil's food pudding into crust, then top with the white chocolate (pie crust will be rather full.) Cover and refrigerate at least 15 minutes. Makes 8 servings

For an interesting twist, add one of the optional items to the bottom of the pie shell as a contrasting flavor to the chocolate

Another WiP from yours truly,

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Mayan-style Chocolate Pudding

1 (4-serving size) pkg. chocolate pudding mix
2 t. cinnamon
Dash cayenne pepper
2 c. milk

Thoroughly combine the dry ingredients, then add the milk. Mix for about 5 minutes or until it starts to thicken.

Easily doubled or you can use a 6-serving size pudding mix (just add an extra teaspoon of cinnamon for the larger mix.)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Vegetarian Cincinnati-style Chili

12 oz. vegetarian "ground beef"
1/2 c. each of chopped red, green and yellow bell pepper and onion
1 (14.5 oz.) tin of spicy diced tomatoes
1 (8 oz.) tin tomato sauce/"puree" (I use no salt added, but the choice is yours)
8 oz. whole wheat pasta (I guess one can use other types, but I use whole wheat almost exclusively)
1 c. (8 oz.) shredded reduced fat/low fat Monterey Jack cheese (or reduced fat/lowfat Monterey Jack combined with another cheese)

Brown the "beef" and soften the chopped vegetables in a nonstick skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray. Add the tomato products and cook through.

Boil the pasta until al dente: drain. Combine with the "meat" mixture and finish cooking the pasta (should be tender but not mushy.) Top with cheese/s. Chow down. ;)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

A quick(ish) and relatively easy treat for Valentine's Day:

Stuffed Strawberries (originally by Marcia Orlando)
24 large fresh strawberries
1/2 c. strawberry spreadable cream cheese (or strawberry spreadable Neufchatel [reduced-fat] cheese)
3 T. sour cream (or plain Greek yogurt)

Remove stems from the strawberries. Place point side up on a cutting board. Cut a deep "x" in the top of each berry. Carefully spread berries apart.

In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and sour cream until smooth. Pipe or spoon filling into each berry. Refrigerate until serving.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Last edited:
Quinoa Pilaf (a great side dish for grilled fish)

Ingredients
• 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
• 2 cups chicken broth
• 1/4 cup pine nuts
• 1 tablespoon olive oil

• 1/2 large onion, finely chopped
• 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
• 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves (or cilantro, oregano, fresh thyme, etc.)
• Salt and pepper to taste

1. Mix broth and quinoa in a medium sized saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 15-20 minutes, until liquid is absorbed and grain is tender.
2. Meanwhile, toast the nuts in a large dry skillet over medium-high heat until golden brown and fragrant, about 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove nuts from pan and set aside.
3. Heat the oil in the same skillet over a medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook stirring occasionally, until the onions soften and begin to brown, about 8 minutes.
4. When the quinoa is done, fluff with a fork and stir in the pine nuts, onions, and parsley. Season with salt and pepper and serve.

Back