Mystery Thread

Ladies and Gentlemen, I draw your attention to a certain "syncronicity" at work, or perhaps play.;)

InPeace,
InLove

"Stone soup" is a reality I'll have y'all know. I daresay I tested the theory and what a soup that came about! And all the neighbors had to contribute to make it work, to the point that there was five gallons of the stuff come end of the day to feed 20 people...

You know, Q, I have heard of it. LOL--wasn't sure about actually mentioning it, because I couldn't remember what I had heard! LOLOLOL--I gotta get off here. It sure is fun sometimes....

InPeace,
InLove

You know, Q, I have heard of it. LOL--wasn't sure about actually mentioning it, because I couldn't remember what I had heard! LOLOLOL--I gotta get off here. It sure is fun sometimes....

InPeace,
InLove

You'd be amazed at how many people haven't heard the fable, and fell right into the spell of contributing to making "Stone soup". It became a day of all the neighbors chatting and kids playing and everyone just catching up on things, while I would say, "hmmm, could use a little salt, or butter might work here..." and then they got into the game and would scamper off to get a bit here and a bit there from their cupboards...it was fun. :D

For those who have not heard of the legend of stone soup, here is one version. (I chose the one out of Fairbanks in honor of your recent assignment, Q.) :)

(Oh, yeah--and my sister-in-law and her sorority sisters used to make "nail soup".)

InPeace,
InLove

Pearl Jam--the band got it's name because a band member's mom or granny or aunt or someone used to make it and they liked it. I saw an interview somewhere....they were laughing because people had so many ideas about the "hidden meaning" of the name, lol. :eek:

Phyllis--I forgot to tell J.H. to buy some "nibs". Guess I will do that recipe next week. I'm forgiven?

And I still haven't found that book....

InPeace,
InLove

InLove, you are forgiven for not baking the cookies yet (perhaps for Good Friday or Easter? *shrug*)

Anyway, baking morsels aren't "nibs" (cacao nibs are what get ground into cocoa [or they can be kept whole for a little crunch in your favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe without adding nuts. :)])

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Pearl Jam--the band got it's name because a band member's mom or granny or aunt or someone used to make it and they liked it. I saw an interview somewhere....they were laughing because people had so many ideas about the "hidden meaning" of the name, lol. :eek:
InPeace,
InLove

Shocking. And we're certainly not going to go over the rumoured "hidden meaning" behind the name the Pet Shop Boys.:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
(Just don't).

s.

Hi Everyone--

Phyllis--I just made the Cookies WiP. :)

Turned out really tasty. Kind of a "cookie-cake". Very moist.
I did add just a little more sugar to satisfy the sweet tooth I seem to have developed in recent months, probably due to all the meds I had to take for a while. And instead of plain chocolate morsels, I used some fancy chocolate-cherry flavored ones that Mom bought me before she passed (I had them in the freezer). I thought she might like to take part in the "experiment". ;) :)

I really enjoyed doing this. Thanks!

I found the book I told you about. I'll type up a post and run it by you sometime today. I need to get your opinion, since I am sure you will know more about this than I do. :)

InPeace,
InLove

Hi Everyone :)

The following recipes come from an old book that a friend found on the floor of an abandoned building near me. After trying to find the owner, whose name is inscripted by hand in the front pages (apparently, it was a gift), he gave it to me because he knew I would cherish it and take care of it. The binding is loose, but the pages have the patina of the years.

I hope it is okay for me to share some of the recipes this treasure of a book contains. The ones I have included here are from a holiday section which is applicable to this season. If there are any objections, then I am sure my post can be removed. The credits are at the end, and I can provide the names of individual contributors, if necessary. I decided not to include them in the post out of respect for their privacy. I have typed the recipes as they appear in the book, and so some of the techniques and wording may seem a little out-of-date, but that is what draws me to it. It is living history.

Phyll—I didn’t know when you might log back in, and since we did already discuss this, I decided to go ahead and post. Hope I didn’t cross any lines that I shouldn’t. Just thought today would be a good time.

Bagels

2/3 cup peanut oil
1 1/3 cups water
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons sugar
2 cups matzo meal
5 eggs

Directions

Boil together oil, water, salt and sugar. Add immediately 2 cups matzo meal. Mix well and cool. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Roll into balls the size of a golf ball. Place on greased cookie sheet 2 inches apart. Indent center with finger to make hole in bagel. Bake in 400 degree oven for about 30 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm with butter.

Note: Using 6 eggs instead of 5, increasing water to 2 cups and leaving out sugar, this recipe also makes excellent matzo balls.

Chocolate Spice And Apple Pesach Cake

(This recipe comes from Mannheim, Germany, and was at least four generations old at the time of publishing.)

Ingredients:

8 eggs, separated
10 tablespoons sugar
6 ounces almonds, grated (use electric blender if possible)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons cocoa
1 grated apple (remove skin first)
½ fresh lemon (juice) plus 1 teaspoon grated rind
2 to 3 tablespoons matzo meal

Orange-Lemon Wine Sauce:

Juice of 2 oranges
Juice of 1 lemon
½ teaspoon vanilla
2 egg yolks
¾ cup dry white wine
1 cup water
2 tablespoons potato starch

Directions:

Cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat egg yolks and sugar until bubbles form. Add cinnamon, cocoa, almonds, lemon juice and rinds, apple and matzo meal slowly. Beat egg whites and fold into other mixed ingredients. Pour into ungreased spring form (9 inch pan). Bake for 50 minutes. Leave in the oven with door open for 10 minutes longer after the cake is thouroughly baked (when no batter sticks to cake tester). Serve with orange-lemon sauce. This cake may be baked several days in advance since it ages well. Serves 8 to 10.

Orange-lemon wine sauce: Place all ingredients in a saucepan and stir together. Place on stove over low heat and continue stirring until mixture comes to a boil and begins to thicken like a custard. For a foamier sauce, beat remaining 2 egg whites and fold into cooked sauce. Chill and serve over the chocolate spice and apple cake.

Carrot Souffle Cake:

(This recipe comes from someone in Houston)

Ingredients:

6 eggs, separated
1 cup sugar
1 cup blanched almonds, grated
1 cup carrots
juice and rind of 1 lemon
raspberry preserves
whipping cream

Directions:

Cream egg yolks with sugar. Add almonds, lemon juice and rind. Add carrots which have been boiled whole with peel, then scraped and mashed. Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry. Fold in egg whites. Bake in greased spring form pan in 350 degree oven about 45 minutes. Open oven door and cool a little before removing as it falls in center slightly. Before serving put thin layer of raspberry preserves on top, then whipped cream.

All recipes in this post from:
(5000 YEARS IN THE KITCHEN, SISTERHOOD TEMPLE EMANU-EL, DALLAS, TX. 1965)

InPeace,
InLove

Originally posted by InLove
Phyll—I didn’t know when you might log back in, and since we did already discuss this, I decided to go ahead and post. Hope I didn’t cross any lines that I shouldn’t. Just thought today would be a good time.

Let's just say that if there were any problems with your post, one of the mods would've deleted it by now. :)

Anyway, I'm going to make the Carrot Souffle cake tomorrow night, perhaps adding some raisins (my :kitty: nature has poked its head [again.:rolleyes:]) It might be good for Easter, too. *shrug*

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

I gotta remind myself NEVER to read this thread before going grocery shopping...:rolleyes: :D

Thanks Phyllis :)

It may be a bit late for the season, but I have got a really easy and inexpensive way for coloring eggs, too. Don't have to go out and buy all that cutesy stuff if you don't want to. Just fill some cups with really hot water, add some white vinegar and fairly heavy food colorings if you have them in the cupboard. Then add several drops (plenty, that is) of vegetable oil to the cups and swirl hard-boiled eggs around in them--they come out shiny and sort of "tie-dyed" looking. And they dry fast with none of the sticky feeling that comes from some of the pre-pack dye kits. And it's all natural. (I was out of vinegar last weekend, but I had some white wine vinegar for salads, which worked just fine. LOL--and I didn't get all my eggs completely cooked before I dyed them...first time that has ever happened to me...so I put the dyed eggs in a 350 degree oven for a few minutes, which did the trick and, surprisingly enough, didn't ruin the eggs or the "paint job". Who knew?)

And Q--I know what you mean. Had a bit of trouble with the "potato starch" thing...;) :D

InPeace,
InLove

Originally posted by InLove
And Q--I know what you mean. Had a bit of trouble with the "potato starch" thing...;) :D

InPeace,
InLove

If I'd've known you were having "trouble" with the "potato starch" thing, I would've sent down 5 boxes of it along with 3 boxes of matzos (halving my Passover stuff since I really didn't need all of everything I received this year.)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine (and the CR :kitty: delegation)

I made the bagel "receipt" and ate the entire batch in one sitting (kinda like potato chips/crisps, you can't eat just one. :rolleyes:) Gotta get the large canister of matzo meal (like the one I asked for for Passover.)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Pass the cream cheese, please! (I was up in the middle of last night reading your post, Phyllis, and it just sounded so yummy...)

OH, and I've been meaning to mention that I stored the cookies in the refrigerator and discovered that they are also really good when chilled! So try and reserve some for yourself next time!

Camping in style...

Made crepes using coconut milk in the batter and straining it after mixing....worked well...

Oh and an omelette in a dutch oven...no flip...cooks like a souffle...wonderful

Coconut crepes...never thought of that before. Now I will have to try it. Gotta figure out how to crack the coconuts first....

Here's some easy stuff just right for warmer weather:

Individual Salad Plates

#1 (Works well as a light meal or an antipasto)

Field greens or spinach
Fresh ripe tomato slices
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
Mozzarella cheese (the round kind), sliced
Seasoned red wine vinegar
Olive oil
Two or three black olives

Arrange greens on salad plate. Place tomato slices on top to one side and sprinkle all with garlic. Place cheese slices next to tomatoes. Lightly drizzle entire dish with the vinegar and oil. Garnish with olives.

#2 (Light meal, or makes a great companion for Mediterranean dishes)

Field greens or light lettuce and spinach mixture
Olive oil
Lemon juice
Goat cheese
Small pitted red Greek olives (don’t know the name of them, but they are found at most large health food or Mediterranean markets)
Mandarin orange slices, chilled
Almond slivers

Line plate with greens. Lightly drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice. Place cheese on top in middle. Add a generous sprinkle of olives. Garnish to the side with a couple of mandarin slices and a few almond slivers.

#3 (For a meal, with summer beverages, or as an appetizer for a Mexican dish. I personally like to serve it with black bean soup or quesadillas.)

Finely shredded iceberg lettuce
Olive oil
Guacamole (mash your own or use the stuff sold now in many produce sections, as it is pretty good and real easy—all organic and refreezable—the unseasoned is best, IMO.)
Simple Pico Dip: mixture of tomatoes and red onions (diced), fresh jalapenos, chopped, seeds removed, chopped fresh cilantro leaves (to taste)
Lemon juice (or lime, if preferred)
Toasted tortilla chips (place chips in hot oven for 3-4 minutes)

Line plate with shredded lettuce. Drizzle with a tiny bit of olive oil. Place a generous scoop of guacamole on top to one side, and another of pico mixture across from it. Drizzle all with lemon or lime juice. Fill in spaces on plate with chips.

Back