Mystery Thread

nice stuff angel...

I'm sure it is an awesome cake In Love!

lol that was one hell of a long way to say "ketchup" lol..... I doubt many Americans are familiar with Heinz.... Which I guess doesn't help to describe something when using something alien as a comparisson ;)
lol We got our real introduction to Heinz when Kerry ran for President, if he'd have one, and she'd have been our first lady, the tabloids, press, comedians, talkshows would have had a field day for 4 years...she made more interesting comments on the campaign trail than anyone in recent memory (he married the heir of the Heinz fortune...) ketchup, catsup, Heinz...our president Reagon claimed it as a vegetable when put on hotdogs, hamburger, or macroni at school lunches!! So nutritious sugared tomatoes...

I deeeplyyy and hummmmmbbblllyyy bowwwww before the sauce king and the domestic goddess.

I used to fantasize about "wild" goddesses...any similarities here ? Just my pagan side showing.

Bread information coming up in the next day or two I think if the spirit can move me.

My family red sauce receipt: This is pretty much the way G'pa made his, but I never did learn how to do his meatballs. I think I've got that written down somewhere. Absolutely divine though

Cover the bottom of a large and heavy sauce pot with olive oil and heat to low-med.
Chop 1 large onion
Smash and chop 7-9 cloves of fresh garlic
Sautee slowly in the olive oil until the onion begins to look transparent. Do not sautee until garlic gets brown !
Use a large wooden spoon for stirring.
Add 1 large can each: peeled whole roma tomatoes cut up, whole; crushed tomatoes : tomato puree (pomodoro)
Fill each of the three cans halfway with water and add to pot.
Add one cup of red wine.
Add 1 small (8oz) can of tomato paste, one can water
Add 1 tsp of sugar, three rounded tbsp of basil leaves, one rounded tbsp of oregano (leaf), 2 pinches of thyme, a few shakes of pepper, do not salt.

Stir all together on low-med heat. Keep stirring it every five minutes or so until it begins to bubble slowly in the middle.
Reduce heat to low and cover. Let simmer 2-3 hours covered, stirring well every 20-30 minutes. Do not let the sauce stick to the bottom of the pot. If the sauce thickens too much too soon, thin it from time to time with water.

After cooking about 3 hours or until the sauce is dark red and thick, add another small can of tomato paste and stir well. Let simmer uncovered for another one half hour and you're done.

If you want to make meat sauce, just cut a pound or so of round or sirloin steak into pieces and sautee with the onion and garlic in the olive oil, then follow the rest of the directions as written.

flow....:p

Hi,

Thanks! I know that sometimes the UK and the USA are divided by what seems to be a common language but isn't always. I also know that sometimes I am Olympic standard dense but I need to ask:

By "tomato sauce" do you mean what we brits call "chopped tomatoes" ? cos tomato sauce usually means, you know, Heinz type stuff (thick and with sugar in it) out of a bottle that you squeeze on chips (french fries, see there we go again!).

s. (salivating already..):)

If what you mean by "chopped tomatoes" is something like tomato puree but with a couple of other minor ingredients, yes. Here's what I mean (via Hunt's/ConAgra Foods): Hunt's - Products

I hope this helps a bit to clear up the "British"/American English problem. :eek: (I use the quotation marks because Australians and other English-speaking countries use British terms for certain items, American terms for some and their own terms for still others.) *hands Snoopy a cute tuxedo, who promptly adopts her*

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Hi Everyone--

I can't believe so much time has passed without a post here. Must be the changing of the seasons or something like that.

Thanks for the exchange on terminology, Snoopy and Phyllis. I don't understand it all yet, but now it is here on this thread for future reference. Good deal. :)

So, tonight, in between posting and venting in other places, I was busy making a beautiful plate of stuffed jalapenos (sorry, don't feel like cutting and pasting the tilde or whatever it is there in Spanish).

I sliced two small cans of mild pickled ones down the middle, chopped off the stems (I didn't want to, but it made more that way), removed the seeds out of compassion for those who cannot digest them, and stuffed them with a mixture of cream cheese, black olives and a few stray pieces of pepper that I put through the food processor.

I placed them around on a clear plastic platter and threw some whole black olives in a ceramic bowl in the middle. I garnished the whole thing with pepper strips and the carrots and onions that come marinated in the cans with the jalapenos. Then I wrapped it all up real pretty with clear plastic wrap (I got frilly and creative with it).

I wish I had a picture of it. I would post it.

We are going to a reunion tomorrow (guess it is later today, by now--I'm up late or early or however you want to look at it). It is a junior high class reunion. JUNIOR HIGH. Wow. (For J.H.) I have never met any of these people. And it is casual and right here in town. Everyone is supposed to bring a side dish, so that is why I fixed up the jalapenos. I hope they are liked--what I usually find is that it doesn't matter, really, because they are always conversation starters whether people like them or not. But there are always a few who do. :)

Well, speaking of peppers, and you know I love them, I have recently been introduced to fried jalapenos. Very good. I am going to have to try making them here at home. Just do them like okra in hot oil. Mmmmm....

Well, guess I'd better get some sleep. Gotta be beautiful later. :rolleyes: :) ;)

InPeace,
InLove

P.S. Happy St. Paddy's Day to those of you who celebrate. Wear the green. Be the green. Eat green. Dance with a shamrock. LOL--Be the shamrock!

Coincidence! Bingo. I've been thinking a lot lately that a recipe thread would be most welcome, and then InLove bumps this one back into awareness.

Anyone got any good vegetarian crock pot recipes to share?

I'll post some of my own later, but I thought I'd start out with something different. Seeing as this is the "Mystery Thread," I suppose a poem wouldn't be too off base. And hey, it has to do with food, marginally at least, on the surface. This is something I wrote about ten minutes ago.

Breakfast

Waking. Blinded by neon and bright halogens.
We saw only what the prescription gave us, but
That was yesterday, dreamsleep, slumber, coma.
Now we know the taste of wakefulness:
Its minute flavors still cooking in our mouths.

Dinner at six. This is erased by body rhythms.
Now we are dancing, tasting darkened soul coffee
Steeped in love. Early morning waking and
We make love. Pastels are smeared all over
Dawn. Clouds are our canvas, light our spectrum.

Red-orange cinammon simmers in the pot.
Thick porridge will pour into our bowls.
Not the stuff of mendicants, no. No, our renunciation
Tastes sweet and full, indulges with spice
Into the aftershocks of being available to life.

I don't have a vegetarian slow cooker recipes, but I do have a cookie recipe (anybody trying it might want to tinker with it a bit since it is a work-in-progress, and post the improvements.)

Cookie WiP

1/2 c butter or margarine
1/2 c sugar
2 eggs
1/2-3/4 t salt
1 T baking powder
1 t vanilla
2 c flour
1 T milk
1 pkg (10-12 oz) baking morsels, divided

Preheat oven to 400 F. Grease the bottom of a 13x9 pan, set aside.

Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, salt, baking powder and vanilla. Gradually add flour, then milk. Mix in 3/4 c of the morsels. Press into prepared pan and cover with remaining morsels.

Bake at 400 F. for about 20 minutes (morsels should be melted.) Carefully spread the melted morsels, then let cool slightly. Score and let cool completely. Cut completely and serve.

I have mixed morsels in some of the experiments (as I said, it's a work-in-progress. :eek:)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Last edited:
Phyllis, that sounds really good--so do the cookies come out with a chocolate layer on the top? LOL--I think this may be a stupid question, but I don't know that for sure, so maybe it is only ignorant. :D :D :D

I'm getting a vision--I think these cookies look beautiful and taste good! :)

InPeace,
InLove

Hi,

Did I mention I made a veggie curry last night that (modesty prevents me from commenting myself) was described as "the best curry I've ever eaten"

???:p :p :p

s.

Phyllis, that sounds really good--so do the cookies come out with a chocolate layer on the top? LOL--I think this may be a stupid question, but I don't know that for sure, so maybe it is only ignorant. :D :D :D

If you use chocolate, yes. If not, well, isn't it obvious?

InLove said:
I'm getting a vision--I think these cookies look beautiful and taste good! :)

InPeace,
InLove

They are, I guess. :eek: I often don't get to taste my experiments. :eek:

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

See - there's another one!:D

s.

Um, chips that aren't related to crisps (I guess that is a resonable explanation.) :eek:

You know, the "good stuff" in chocolate chip cookies (although they come in other flavors besides chocolate.)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Last edited:
Hi Phyllis--

I am going to make those cookies this week sometime. Looking forward to it!

I also have some other ideas we might carefully explore on this thread. I'll do this as soon as I can find that old, timeworn collection of recipes that came my way one day quite unexpectedly! I have taken such care to preserve it that now I have to figure out where I stashed it so it wouldn't suffer any further damage....and not to worry--I will keep things within the vegetarian spectrum for all our sakes and sensibilities. I might offend a carrot or two, but I must draw the line somewhere in order to have a recipe thread! Unless we want to stick to stone soup. :D ;) :) :cool:

InPeace,
InLove

I will keep things within the vegetarian spectrum for all our sakes and sensibilities. I might offend a carrot or two, but I must draw the line somewhere in order to have a recipe thread! Unless we want to stick to stone soup. :D ;) :) :cool:

InPeace,
InLove
Stone soup? That would offend my tummy! :D

We put our composting in the crock pot!!!BBLLLLEEEUUURRRURUGGHGHGH!!!!

s.

So do we, and we call it "manure tea." Tastes horrible, but the plants sure do love it. :D

PS, this recipe is not for beginners, the faint of heart, or those of weak constitutions. ;)

heh-heh--

Cocoa nibs, stone soup, and manure tea. See? This really is a mysterious thread....:D

InPeace,
InLove

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

stone soup and manure tea.....

...I can see a recipe book coming out of this thread....:p

s.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I draw your attention to a certain "syncronicity" at work, or perhaps play.;)

InPeace,
InLove

Back