How do you choose your religion?

A

Alan Davie

Now my question is should we let our beliefs evolve naturally over the course of a lifetime or should we be looking to define our beliefs by way of organised religion? And if the latter, how does one go about choosing a religion? There are so many and how can they ALL be "the way"?

Alan Davie said:
Now my question is should we let our beliefs evolve naturally over the course of a lifetime or should we be looking to define our beliefs by way of organised religion? And if the latter, how does one go about choosing a religion? There are so many and how can they ALL be "the way"?

That is exactly why I think the world religions need to unite into one open-minded religion. I remember when I was a kid in a Christian family my parents used to tell me all other ways including Buddhism, Islam, Hinduism, ect. are all mythologies and are fake. Jesus is the only way:rolleyes:. But no matter how much they tell me these things it is in my nature to question something that is so obvious. At one point when I got older I almost gave up religion and God completly until I started to question how can there not be a God? So I sort of went back into religion only to study it and still to this day I continue to do so. I want to figure out a way I can merge all the religions into one religion, that would end a lot of confussion, suffering, and sorrow IMHO.

Of course one might say that religion is already created, some say this is Baha'i. But the problem with Baha'i it still does not conbine many of the aspects of the religions. For example Baha'is reject reincarnation and emphasize less on meditation, but these two are much too important to dismiss. Baha'is is in the right track, but still haven't unified the religions completly.

For example imagine a religion based on the the metaphysical concepts of hinduism, and the idea that Jesus did save all of mankind by dieing on the cross.

I hope that one day a man will rise to unify the religions and end the squabbles of people on whose religion is right, although some religions are more open-minded than other such as Hinduism. This quote;

"Ekam Sat, Vipra Bahudha Vadanti!"

translates to There is but "One Truth, But Many Paths To Follow"!

So of all religions Hinduism does the best job in promoting the whole idea that there is no one way to the truth, but even it doesn't care much about some of the truth in western religions.

So I don't really think it is a bad idea if someone makes a new religion as long as it at least makes an effort to unify the religions, but at the same time remain conservative to many of the ideals the religions teach.

If you go to the salad bar do you fill your plate with only one food or even worse, wish they all tasted the same?
True enough is the old saying that "Truth is one, sages call it by many names" The arguing over religion stems from a sense of separation from our source, and is indicitive of a particular state of consciousness. Unity can be seen at the higher levels, levels you have no doubt visited yourself because you obviously see the inner truths the religions point to.

Notice that the mystics of one age do not discount nor contradict those of another, whether they are Christian, Hindu, Buddhist, or more recently the Trancendentalists.
If there is to be a common ground it is found within us as we peruse the teachings of the most wonderful teachers this planet has given rise to.
Remember, Ghandi said that "It is better to put on slippers than to carpet the entire world"

Peace

Mark

Silver,

Good to read your remarks and I would say you're still trying to resolve some issues in your mind and heart and this is as it should be..

I had a few comments though about what you wrote:

"Of course one might say that religion is already created, some say this is Baha'i. But the problem with Baha'i it still does not conbine many of the aspects of the religions. For example Baha'is reject reincarnation and emphasize less on meditation, but these two are much too important to dismiss. Baha'is is in the right track, but still haven't unified the religions completly."

It sounds like you've decided on a few things you feel are very important and that's OK for you and I'm not "knocking" them...

Our view is we don't need to "merge all the religions into one" say as a synthesis... that really isn't what we're about. We've been accused on syncretism.

Actually what we believe is that the origin of all the religions is the same...the same Divine Origin.

They may be very different on the "outside" though because of the various cultural trappings and they have developed over time differently. We believe in their spiritual essence though they are already united...

So it's NOT really like we're TRYING to combine various religions and we're not about suggesting that we have to adopt this from that or select something else...

The Baha'i Faith is already a revealed religion with it's own Scriptures and ordinances that we believe are suited for today.

There is also a strong mystical element in the Baha'i Faith and this is evidence in the Writings such as "The Seven Valleys and the Four Valleys" that were revealed by Baha'u'llah for a Sufi teacher. See:

http://reference.bahai.org/en/t/b/SVFV/

Baha'is don't use a specific style of meditation though as it is up to the believer... Some like to practise the kind of meditation they learned from other traditions... It's alright for them to do this.. But there's not one meditation practise for all Baha'is.

We also chant the Greatest Name daily so this probably resembles the chanting in other traditions.

So I just thought I'd mention this...

On another note:

I sincerely believe people have to work out for themselves through personal search what is best for them...

The problem though to me with one who decides to totally fashion their own religion is that over time they can dismiss or adopt whatever they want... which may seem to be the solution and it might even feel good in the beginning.

But the probem with this is there is no outside criteria applied and to me spiritual growth requires some challenge, some kind of interaction with someone who has travelled through the valleys of search and can provide assistance or a model when it is needed.

- Art

Well I'm not necessarily saying that Baha'i is a collection of all beliefs, but it does do a good job in uniting the wise ones of religion.

Although in the end what religion you follow doesn't matter and matters more on your actions in life, people are really missing out on the experiances of other religions (ie Christians miss out on meditation and yoga). On top of that our youth are getting confused on which way is the right way, and as a result many turn atheist or agnostic. I know at a time I was somewhat like this. There are many benefits of one universal religion containing the teachings of all the wise ones, or at least the most important ones such as Krishna, Buddha, or Jesus.

If all paths are correct to God, it would be better for mankind to practice the aspects of the divine for better spiritual development;).

Why do Baha'is want a one world government :)? It is for the same reason why I want a one world religion. There will be less conflict and more understanding to the religions;).

One is also an ideal - and open to abuses. One religion would oppress those who disagreed, one world government would oppress the voices of dissent. Simply my personal feelings.

"You cannot have all the world agree, unless you cut some tongues out". I think that's a saying from somewhere. :)

Alan, hello.

I agree there are many paths, so why not have a universal approach! I believe in accepting philosophies from all sources, and acknowledging that all religions are right and wrong. In the end they are all ways to help you find your way – they should learn from each other! ;) :)

Z

I said:
One is also an ideal - and open to abuses. One religion would oppress those who disagreed, one world government would oppress the voices of dissent. Simply my personal feelings.

"You cannot have all the world agree, unless you cut some tongues out". I think that's a saying from somewhere. :)

I agree, Brian. The idea is terrifying to an American.. We strongly believe in freedom of religion and freedom of choice. My thought is that it will end up happening and it will be at the end. It always causes me to wonder if people that wish for one world religion really think about it...

even our President a couple of months ago said, "EVERYONE SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO WORSHIP THE WAY THEY WANT TO WORSHIP".

i was at the counter ordering a slice when it came on TV, & the the pizza man behind the counter started laughing & said, "YES, but not everyone feels the same way."

_Z_ said:
Alan, hello.

I agree there are many paths, so why not have a universal approach! I believe in accepting philosophies from all sources, and acknowledging that all religions are right and wrong. In the end they are all ways to help you find your way – they should learn from each other! ;) :)

Z

so Z, who is going to be in charge for the dogma of the UNIVERSAL APPROACH RELIGION?:)

I said:

I wasn't suggesting that people ban religions in any way, I just think there should be a universal religion that combines all the good of the major world religion into one perfect religion;). It would end a lot of confusion and there would be less to no wars on religion.

And this new global religion will be a very open-minded tolerent faith, open to changes based on the stage of mankind.

I am strongly against a one world government, but for a 15 world government:).

Bandit.

:D . yes any philosophy will have its pitfalls, and all if taken too literally end up with dogma. But the idea is that a universal approach doesn’t allow for dogmatism, because one always must respect another’s views – indeed should except philosophies from other sources. Being of a religion [Druidry] that believes ‘once it is written it is lost’ & ‘the truth is naked’, then how can I have a literal interpretation?

But I get your point, especially as I am sure that the ancient druids - as lawmakers, would have been reasonably strict & dogmatic about their laws!

However although I am a druid type person [and been through the twenty year apprentiship], I don’t believe in being of any given religion even druidry, I simply learn from all!

I like to have both a ‘god exists’ philosophy, and an understanding with no gods whatsoever!

Z

We are already moving toward a "universal religion." However, it is not probably what most people think nor what they would consciously choose: global capitalist consumerism.

I cannot recommend highly enough the following two books:

"Jihad v. McWorld" by Benjamin Barber and

Peter Stearns' "Consumerism in World History"

(I got a bit long-winded, but that's nothing new ... :p)

It seems to me that a (Unified) World Religion, just as one's own individual freedom of religious practice, would not be about dogma. As discussed in the facism thread, this is just wrong on principle. Forcing beliefs or some particular religious practice on others isn't simply un-American, it is spiritually offensive. From this angle, our freedom to choose is of vital importance, and must never be encroached or denied.

But I don't think the idea of One World Religion, even in concert with a United League of Nations (such as the U.N.), is in conflict with our inherent right to choose. We may either choose to acknowledge the `World Religion' (and aspirations of the UN), or we may practice our own style of worship, and maintain our own specific beliefs. The idea of uniting, imho and in my mind, is not about dogma, beliefs, or even about specific methods of practice, per se. Each of these might enter in, somewhat, but the overall emphasis should and would be ... the matter of princples, values and ideals.

In this we might turn to authors like Joseph Campbell, specifically his work called The Hero with a Thousand Faces, which addresses the Universal pull toward betterment found within us all ... in its comfortable & familiar guise - the ideal of the Hero. We might also look to the writings of Robert Muller, whose excellent work with the United Nations over the years should be recognized and celebrated by all. The beautiful example of hands-on service provided by Mother Teresa is something that (potentially) reaches into everyone's heart, regardless of race, religion, creed or social standing. And the Dalai Lama's invitation to practice loving-kindness
(another way of stating the Golden Rule) as our religion... is surely the safest & fastest way to guarantee peace & prosperity for the entire planet.

It is sad to see that the capitalism and individualism (often manifesting as materialism, and outright selfishness & greed) of the West have not been able to meet with & yield to the Ideal of Spiritual Community that stands so clearly before us. This is the only religion that can deliver Humanity at this time in history, because of the trends toward globalization and toward group activity active in the world today. From the mass media (radio, TV, advertising, printed media, email, Internet, Web) to a globalized economy to travel and volunteerism, we are all inherently involved in the progress and the well-being of each other. The illusion of separateness cannot last much longer if we wish to reach a sustainable society ... and the `American Dream' as it has unfortunately been termed is anything but ideal or sustainable!

All this being said, here's a different (but compatible) take. The type of ceremonial found in Freemasonry (speaking in terms of co-masonry, of course, and not the genderized holdouts) ... plus the scientific recognition of the moon's effects upon our subtle anatomy (emotions, mind, and ease of approach to Divinity), have been suggested as forming part of the practical aspects of a New World Religion. To know that we may set our personal interests (diverse as we may otherwise be) aside, and embrace a certain order & ritual on a large scale in our recognition of and approach to G-d (specifically during Full Moon Festivals)... would allow for a much more constructive result than the piecemeal efforts found today - by many differing religious groups, denominations, sects and flavors - even as these may variously claim to honor the same ultimate Deity (or Highest, Belevolent) Power.

What does it matter our differing terminologies if we can at least agree that a different & united approach is needed - this being one that has room in it for all practitioners the world over, no matter what the choice of practice! And would this approach not also need to make room for those who prefer no practice at all, without penalty of any sort or the kind of shunning that happens in the smallest of communities as well as the largest? Or would we rather argue with Teachers like the Christ who advised us that we must love not only those who are close to us (anyone can do this!), but even our very enemies - those whom we most despise. Have you hugged a terrorist today? :rolleyes: Ok, maybe we don't get touchy-feely with the man with the AK (gun), but ummm, please tell me where I've distorted the Man's words, eh? ;) I mean, ya know - WWJB (who would Jesus bomb)? And uhhh, like DUH - newsflash: An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind! That is like, so not in vogue any more, ya know? :p

Buddha said it, Krishna certainly said it, and I think Mohammad said it, but we don't even have to look to the past for great religious leaders who have emphasized the message to Love our Neighbor & our Enemy ... because HH the Dalai Lama has said it, Dr. MLK, Jr has said it, and Gandhi has said it. Some (me among them) even believe that just 75 years or so ago, the very same Christ Who appeared 2 millennia ago as Christ Jesus, made a similar, experimental effort to return (outwardly) to Humanity ... though this proved a learning experience for all involved, and was not fully successful. This was but an early effort, and many forerunners have now helped to prepare the way for the Coming One, such that the Aquarian `John the Baptizer' has already been on the scene.

Bahais believe that Christ has come, and certainly there is enough evidence to prove that the same Spirit which was in Christ Jesus, is also in the world today ... although there may be those who aren't satisfied that a physical manifestation (through a single individual) has again taken place. If not, we have every reason to look forward to that event, but esotericists believe (and with good reason - evidence to boot) that Christ has already spoken to the world - and shown that He is with us - through the work of many, many of His disciples. Ironically, it is most religious thinkers outside of Christianity who find this idea acceptable and even obvious, while those claiming Christ as their inspiration & authority are often the most reluctant to consider that His mission embraces all of Humanity, and not a select, chosen few. Old ideas die hard, and those who cling - suffer. :(

One World Religion does not insist that we must pray 5 times daily, or in English, or to a masculine deity, or even that we must pray at all. And as the Spirit of Ecumenism presses forward, only by recognizing the volunteers from all existing world religious traditions will a group of spiritual leaders be taken seriously as they draw up a charter for this effort. The point is not to sit down and start talking armchair philosophy, splitting hairs about angels dancing on pinheads and whitey up in the sky making rocks so heavy only he can lift them .... that sort of thing is good for the coffee-shop. In 1893, and again in 1993, the Parliament of World Religions (wiki'd here) set excellent precedents & laid foundation-stones for just the sort of thing we need.

Let's construct the Temple as G-d surely intends it (and I do mean intends - active, alive & well ... in the world today - having never left it, and not up there in the sky somewhere). Each of us has, or rather is, an unhewn ashlar. Like the artist said, all I have to do is carve away the bits of stone that don't look like the image in my mind (or words to that effect). What remains, is this thing you're gawking at. :cool: Just so we don't get stuck gawking at the one from Galilee, or the one from Nepal, or the one from Persia ... I think we'll be alright. Very simple: The more skilled artists have come to teach the less-skilled, and if we couldn't learn, they wouldn't bother. Rocket science? Hmmm. Rudimentary to the Great Ones ... their chariots have visited the Far-Off worlds untold aeons ago. One day they'll show us that, too. But first, let's get past the "my gun is bigger, I will kill you first & deader" stage. Eh? :rolleyes:

Also, (since I ramble so much) ... full moon festivals have nothing to do with the moon, except that it's on the opposite side of the Earth from the Sun at that time. Hmmmm.

Cheers,
andrew

I don’t like the idea of one world religion and a one-nation world; they both equal too much power [etc.]. Perhaps universal law/constitution would be good with one united army & an international police force.

My ideal would be no religion at all just philosophy! But that could not happen.

Oh and its impossible to unite all faiths because of the differences! – especially if one includes Druidry – so different! :p

Z

_Z_ said:
Bandit.

:D . yes any philosophy will have its pitfalls, and all if taken too literally end up with dogma. But the idea is that a universal approach doesn’t allow for dogmatism, because one always must respect another’s views – indeed should except philosophies from other sources. Being of a religion [Druidry] that believes ‘once it is written it is lost’ & ‘the truth is naked’, then how can I have a literal interpretation?

But I get your point, especially as I am sure that the ancient druids - as lawmakers, would have been reasonably strict & dogmatic about their laws!

However although I am a druid type person [and been through the twenty year apprentiship], I don’t believe in being of any given religion even druidry, I simply learn from all!

I like to have both a ‘god exists’ philosophy, and an understanding with no gods whatsoever!

Z

Hi Z!

i have a bit of druidry in me & i relate to what you are saying.
while some things in other religions seem to be the same, after i start looking at them closer, i see they are not the same.
what i have noticed in the organizations is, it says one thing on the outside, the written doctrines say something different, then on the inside something different is happening.

but any way, a one world religion is not the answer. IMO. it may work for about 3 seconds, then BOOM. as for the respect of others beliefs we are in agreement.

i have to agree with what you say, once something becomes written/dogmatic, the real meanings can get lost. but i still have not had that happen for me with the bible. so as long as we can keep the bible & Jesus in the one world religion, then i guess that would be fine. :)

someone else around here said it well awhile back. get rid of all the 'ism' & such.

taijasi said:
(I got a bit long-winded, but that's nothing new ... :p)

It seems to me that a (Unified) World Religion, just as one's own individual freedom of religious practice, would not be about dogma. As discussed in the facism thread, this is just wrong on principle. Forcing beliefs or some particular religious practice on others isn't simply un-American, it is spiritually offensive. From this angle, our freedom to choose is of vital importance, and must never be encroached or denied.

But I don't think the idea of One World Religion, even in concert with a United League of Nations (such as the U.N.), is in conflict with our inherent right to choose. We may either choose to acknowledge the `World Religion' (and aspirations of the UN), or we may practice our own style of worship, and maintain our own specific beliefs. The idea of uniting, imho and in my mind, is not about dogma, beliefs, or even about specific methods of practice, per se. Each of these might enter in, somewhat, but the overall emphasis should and would be ... the matter of princples, values and ideals.

In this we might turn to authors like Joseph Campbell, specifically his work called The Hero with a Thousand Faces, which addresses the Universal pull toward betterment found within us all ... in its comfortable & familiar guise - the ideal of the Hero. We might also look to the writings of Robert Muller, whose excellent work with the United Nations over the years should be recognized and celebrated by all. The beautiful example of hands-on service provided by Mother Teresa is something that (potentially) reaches into everyone's heart, regardless of race, religion, creed or social standing. And the Dalai Lama's invitation to practice loving-kindness
(another way of stating the Golden Rule) as our religion... is surely the safest & fastest way to guarantee peace & prosperity for the entire planet.

It is sad to see that the capitalism and individualism (often manifesting as materialism, and outright selfishness & greed) of the West have not been able to meet with & yield to the Ideal of Spiritual Community that stands so clearly before us. This is the only religion that can deliver Humanity at this time in history, because of the trends toward globalization and toward group activity active in the world today. From the mass media (radio, TV, advertising, printed media, email, Internet, Web) to a globalized economy to travel and volunteerism, we are all inherently involved in the progress and the well-being of each other. The illusion of separateness cannot last much longer if we wish to reach a sustainable society ... and the `American Dream' as it has unfortunately been termed is anything but ideal or sustainable!

All this being said, here's a different (but compatible) take. The type of ceremonial found in Freemasonry (speaking in terms of co-masonry, of course, and not the genderized holdouts) ... plus the scientific recognition of the moon's effects upon our subtle anatomy (emotions, mind, and ease of approach to Divinity), have been suggested as forming part of the practical aspects of a New World Religion. To know that we may set our personal interests (diverse as we may otherwise be) aside, and embrace a certain order & ritual on a large scale in our recognition of and approach to G-d (specifically during Full Moon Festivals)... would allow for a much more constructive result than the piecemeal efforts found today - by many differing religious groups, denominations, sects and flavors - even as these may variously claim to honor the same ultimate Deity (or Highest, Belevolent) Power.

What does it matter our differing terminologies if we can at least agree that a different & united approach is needed - this being one that has room in it for all practitioners the world over, no matter what the choice of practice! And would this approach not also need to make room for those who prefer no practice at all, without penalty of any sort or the kind of shunning that happens in the smallest of communities as well as the largest? Or would we rather argue with Teachers like the Christ who advised us that we must love not only those who are close to us (anyone can do this!), but even our very enemies - those whom we most despise. Have you hugged a terrorist today? :rolleyes: Ok, maybe we don't get touchy-feely with the man with the AK (gun), but ummm, please tell me where I've distorted the Man's words, eh? ;) I mean, ya know - WWJB (who would Jesus bomb)? And uhhh, like DUH - newsflash: An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind! That is like, so not in vogue any more, ya know? :p

Buddha said it, Krishna certainly said it, and I think Mohammad said it, but we don't even have to look to the past for great religious leaders who have emphasized the message to Love our Neighbor & our Enemy ... because HH the Dalai Lama has said it, Dr. MLK, Jr has said it, and Gandhi has said it. Some (me among them) even believe that just 75 years or so ago, the very same Christ Who appeared 2 millennia ago as Christ Jesus, made a similar, experimental effort to return (outwardly) to Humanity ... though this proved a learning experience for all involved, and was not fully successful. This was but an early effort, and many forerunners have now helped to prepare the way for the Coming One, such that the Aquarian `John the Baptizer' has already been on the scene.

Bahais believe that Christ has come, and certainly there is enough evidence to prove that the same Spirit which was in Christ Jesus, is also in the world today ... although there may be those who aren't satisfied that a physical manifestation (through a single individual) has again taken place. If not, we have every reason to look forward to that event, but esotericists believe (and with good reason - evidence to boot) that Christ has already spoken to the world - and shown that He is with us - through the work of many, many of His disciples. Ironically, it is most religious thinkers outside of Christianity who find this idea acceptable and even obvious, while those claiming Christ as their inspiration & authority are often the most reluctant to consider that His mission embraces all of Humanity, and not a select, chosen few. Old ideas die hard, and those who cling - suffer. :(

One World Religion does not insist that we must pray 5 times daily, or in English, or to a masculine deity, or even that we must pray at all. And as the Spirit of Ecumenism presses forward, only by recognizing the volunteers from all existing world religious traditions will a group of spiritual leaders be taken seriously as they draw up a charter for this effort. The point is not to sit down and start talking armchair philosophy, splitting hairs about angels dancing on pinheads and whitey up in the sky making rocks so heavy only he can lift them .... that sort of thing is good for the coffee-shop. In 1893, and again in 1993, the Parliament of World Religions (wiki'd here) set excellent precedents & laid foundation-stones for just the sort of thing we need.

Let's construct the Temple as G-d surely intends it (and I do mean intends - active, alive & well ... in the world today - having never left it, and not up there in the sky somewhere). Each of us has, or rather is, an unhewn ashlar. Like the artist said, all I have to do is carve away the bits of stone that don't look like the image in my mind (or words to that effect). What remains, is this thing you're gawking at. :cool: Just so we don't get stuck gawking at the one from Galilee, or the one from Nepal, or the one from Persia ... I think we'll be alright. Very simple: The more skilled artists have come to teach the less-skilled, and if we couldn't learn, they wouldn't bother. Rocket science? Hmmm. Rudimentary to the Great Ones ... their chariots have visited the Far-Off worlds untold aeons ago. One day they'll show us that, too. But first, let's get past the "my gun is bigger, I will kill you first & deader" stage. Eh? :rolleyes:

Also, (since I ramble so much) ... full moon festivals have nothing to do with the moon, except that it's on the opposite side of the Earth from the Sun at that time. Hmmmm.

Cheers,
andrew

taijasi, again I never suggest that this new global religion should be intolerrant to other religions, in fact most religions aren't. This in anything should be the most open-minded of all religions, and without force people would convert because they would want to:).

This new global religion (that is not forced on anyone) will conbine all aspects of the major world religions, from hindu meditation to Christ's moral teachings of loving thy enemy and what not. Imagine a religion where you get to experiance Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhaism, Judaism, Sikhism, and Zorasterism! That would expand the spiritual knowledge of all religious people as well as bring the people closer together.

How do you choose?

It sings to your soul or it does not.

I read the words of Christ, or Muhammed, or the Bab or Baha`u'llah, or Krshna, or Zoroaster, or Buddha and I hear the word of God.

If one constructs a "world faith" out of all the things that sound good in all the other religions, it will wind up like Esperanto because it has no roots and no soul.

Regards,
Scott

Popeyesays said:
How do you choose?

It sings to your soul or it does not.

I read the words of Christ, or Muhammed, or the Bab or Baha`u'llah, or Krshna, or Zoroaster, or Buddha and I hear the word of God.

If one constructs a "world faith" out of all the things that sound good in all the other religions, it will wind up like Esperanto because it has no roots and no soul.

Regards,
Scott

yah scott.
pluuuus, once a world religion goes into action, (which will inevitably rule), no new thoughts or beliefs on things will ever be allowed, unless the leader(s) of the world religion decide to change it. history! history! not a good idea.IMO
when i think it all the way through, i like freedom of religion/beliefs better.:)

Bandit said:
yah scott.
pluuuus, once a world religion goes into action, (which will inevitably rule), no new thoughts or beliefs on things will ever be allowed, unless the leader(s) of the world religion decide to change it. history! history! not a good idea.IMO
when i think it all the way through, i like freedom of religion/beliefs better.:)

Baha`i, for instance, does not believe that ALL will become Baha`i. Nor does it require anyone to give up their previous belief.

True unity comes from diversity. Uniformity is loathesome.

Regards,
Scott

Back