Is Islam actually peaceful?

Islam indeed is a message of Peace. It calls on adherents to peaceful. The very name of the religion embodies Peace. Peace in Arabic is "Salam". Islam means achieving peace through submission to God's will. Peace between the individual and his/herself, peace with other humans, peace with the environment as a whole, and ultimately peace with God by a willing, loving and conscious submission of one's will to the will of God. The Quran and life account of the prophet PBUH is filled with examples of that.
Salaam Allahikum msadek. Welcome to the forum.

Islam indeed is a message of Peace. It calls on adherents to peaceful. The very name of the religion embodies Peace. Peace in Arabic is "Salam". Islam means achieving peace through submission to God's will. Peace between the individual and his/herself, peace with other humans, peace with the environment as a whole, and ultimately peace with God by a willing, loving and conscious submission of one's will to the will of God. The Quran and life account of the prophet PBUH is filled with examples of that.

Needs to be shouted from the rooftops.... PSAs on television and worked into rap lyrics to keep youngsters from being willing to kill and be killed...

Needs to be shouted from the rooftops.... PSAs on television and worked into rap lyrics to keep youngsters from being willing to kill and be killed...

Agree totally. But we must recognize that there will always be those who are so misguided that they will violate a message/cause/purpose sadly in its very own name. That is not just limited to Islam or Muslims, it applies just about everywhere else. I always say that Islam and its teachings is the criteria by which those who claim to be Muslims are to be judged, but often people do this in reverse.. They Judge Islam by the actions of some (no matter how small) of its followers.

The posts I read are naive. Islam unlike most Christian faiths is not based on any covenant with God but on the promises of Mohammed their prophet. Islam is not in any way a religion of peace. The only peace it asks for is restricted to peace between faithful Moslems.

The killing of an infidel is a guaranteed ticket into heaven for a Moslem. An infidel is anyone who is not a faithful Moslem. The use of force to promote their submission to Allah is the rule.

There is no such thing as a fanatical Moslem there is only those Moslem people who have been given permission by their religious leaders to show the true face of Islam publicly. The remaining people hide their head in the sand because they know that Christianity promotes a kindness and compassion that can be used as a weapon against us.

The earliest reports of Islam even during the life of Mohammed was that they spread their rule by giving people the choice of life as a Moslem or death. The vast armies that invaded Europe in the seventh century were composed mostly of the children of Christians that had been kidnapped by Islamic raiders throughout the Mediterranean. They had taken tens of thousands of children during the fifty years preceding the invasion. These children were forced to become Moslem and then trained as an army to go back and kill their own people.

Our greatest weakness today is democracy. They do not need to fight us they only need to out populate us. Which they are doing at an alarming rate. While almost all western countries have a 1.3 -1.6 birth rate Islam has an 8.3 they need only remain in hiding until they can vote democratically for an Islamic government then Sharia law will take care of the rest.
---------------

Dear Mystic.. You do not read much do you? Just about every piece of information you stated is wrong and unsubstantiated.. quite the opposite is true. I will give you an example.. how can you "compel" a person to believe that "Let there be no compulsion in religion"..!!?? Thanks about that.

The use of the word Moslem is usually a dead giveaway of the feelings of the person toward Islam.
I don't worry about people using it at this point, as I've found people are now using it out of idea that it is a more correct pronunciation. This is a newer phenomena though. I'd say you are correct about 70% of the time though.

May I suggest the following video. I shared the floor with Pastor Eugene Schnierer in Chicago. Let me know what you think. I appreciate your feedback.
Thanks.
Well I just realized I need to have 10 posts or more to be able to send a link. This is my 5th.

Ok.. I guess I need 5 more posts.. So, suggest an issue or if possible, if someone has a question, then I will be happy to try and answer.
Thanks

Ok.. I guess I need 5 more posts.. So, suggest an issue or if possible, if someone has a question, then I will be happy to try and answer.
Thanks

This forum and this thread seems less dynamic than I thought it to be.Not sure why.
How can we re-energize it?

We are not a Colosseum, we are your small neighborhood tavern... we come in for the conversation and to get away for a moment....

Not an EDM rave....

different vibe...

Islam is a peaceful religion....some folks that have been radicalized by hateful warped interpretations of the Quran are incited to violence by men who use religion as a tool of war. (same way some Christians do)

Islam is not peaceful, but some Muslims are.
In other words, wil is saying that if you want to make this claim, please give an example of how the religion is not peaceful... or go to my other post in Islam section and post a statement or question with some kind of direction

Islam is not peaceful, but some Muslims are.

A few Muslims are not peaceful.. but that is in spite of Islam and its teachings.. I contend that Islam is the criteria by which Muslims' actions and deeds are to be judged (not the other way around). The Quran, the Hadith documenting sayings and actions of the Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) and even Muslim traditions until this day are the strongest evidence of that. People do deviate from the clear teachings but that says more about them than about the teachings themselves.

We are not a Colosseum, we are your small neighborhood tavern... we come in for the conversation and to get away for a moment....

Not an EDM rave....

different vibe...

Cool.. I respect that. I am the new member here. thx

Msadek, welcome. Forgive me if my first comment to you is to disagree with you completely!!!

I have always disagreed with this notion that the religion is pure, it is how people act thru the religion that is messed up. That the judgement of a religion should be its ideal, not how it is practiced.

That is backwards. Because people can make any statement they choose and it is just words. Actions trump words in this reality. In my opinion. When a significant portion of people in a religion either do wrong, or okay with others doing wrong, there is a problem with the religion.

I don't restrict this to religion though. The same belief holds true for governments, etc., any organization that holds sway over a large group of humanity. To support my point let's look at the U.S. today. The words - we believe in the Constitution as the right way to live. The actions of those in power throws the Constitution down the drain. The U.S. is a shallow shell of what it once was. Because people still speak the right words but they take the wrong actions.

Actions always takes precedence over words.

Msadek, welcome. Forgive me if my first comment to you is to disagree with you completely!!!

I have always disagreed with this notion that the religion is pure, it is how people act thru the religion that is messed up. That the judgement of a religion should be its ideal, not how it is practiced.

That is backwards. Because people can make any statement they choose and it is just words. Actions trump words in this reality. In my opinion. When a significant portion of people in a religion either do wrong, or okay with others doing wrong, there is a problem with the religion.

I don't restrict this to religion though. The same belief holds true for governments, etc., any organization that holds sway over a large group of humanity. To support my point let's look at the U.S. today. The words - we believe in the Constitution as the right way to live. The actions of those in power throws the Constitution down the drain. The U.S. is a shallow shell of what it once was. Because people still speak the right words but they take the wrong actions.

Actions always takes precedence over words.
But if there is a significant number who follow the text, how can one not examine the religion from the textual standpoint? If one is not doing what they are supposed to according to the text, how can it be the fault of the text? If the Majority are following the text how can one justify judging the religion on the minority?

Back