The Rush To Be Right

Netti, as an aside, do you subscribe to the MBTI as a valid model? If not I'll shut up, but I was wondering if you might not be an ISTJ.
You were partly right. I took the test:

Introverted (I) 54.17% Extroverted (E) 45.83%
Intuitive (N) 62.5% Sensing (S) 37.5%
Feeling (F) 62.5% Thinking (T) 37.5%
Perceiving (P) 58.33% Judging (J) 41.67%

Conclusion: "Your type is: INFP."

I'm not surprised. :D

My type must be: STINGY

I ain't paying no five bucks to take that test.

I know the feeling so I took the free one. :D Thanks Paladin...

INFJ...I must be "touchy feely" today!! Usually..I am an INTJ...;)

You are:
  • slightly expressed introvert
  • distinctively expressed intuitive personality
  • moderately expressed feeling personality
  • slightly expressed judging personality

Thanks Paladin. That was exactly the right price.

Your Type is: INFJ

Introverted: 33% moderately expressed introvert
Intuitive: 50% moderately expressed intuitive personality
Feeling: 50% moderately expressed feeling personality
Judging: 11% slightly expressed judging personality

My current job (Design) was listed as one of the preferred career paths.

I don't really view this model to be all inclusive, as Netti pointed out persons are vastly more complex than any model can encompass.
But for helping people to understand each other and communicate more rationally it helps quite a bit.
As a kid growing up my extroverted Dad thought there was something wrong with me, and although there might be various reasons why that is, preferring solitude wasn't it.

But for helping people to understand each other and communicate more rationally it helps quite a bit.

I don't know about that.

I'm going to communicate based on the words you put in your post.

I really could not care less about how your test score came out.

I don't know about that.

I'm going to communicate based on the words you put in your post.

I really could not care less about how your test score came out.

That is sooo INFJ :D

Where I see it helping is when I know I'm dealing with an S over an N type I can adjust what I'm saying to help them understand. You see, an N will drive an S crazy. Now If your stance is that it isn't your problem whether the other person gets it, it really doesn't matter.

I have NO idea what that means.

But I think your telling me that Nick_A is an 'N' and I'm an 'S' because that man DRIVES ME CRAZY!

Yeah, but he's on your iggy list now isn't he? :)

One of the important traits of leadership I learned in the military was using your men in accordance with their capabilities. As an employer I find this especially helpful.
This should help a little: Sensing vs. Intuiting

Where I see it helping is when I know I'm dealing with an S over an N type I can adjust what I'm saying to help them understand. You see, an N will drive an S crazy.
Well, I did a quick study on compatibility between types. It seems that partners being similarity on Sensing-Intuiting helps some... at least in the sense that partners feel like they are communicating. This would help avoid overt conflict and such.

But as usual, it's not that simple. People are not unidimensional. They can be similar on N-S dimension and still not get along.

Also, partners being dissimilar on Sensing-Intuiting doesn't necessarily mean they're going to be incompatible. It depends on other characteristics.

You may have research data that's different from that...

Well, I did a quick study on compatibility between types. It seems that partners being similarity on Sensing-Intuiting helps some... at least in the sense that partners feel like they are communicating. This would help avoid overt conflict and such.

But as usual, it's not that simple. People are not unidimensional. They can be similar on N-S dimension and still not get along.

Also, partners being dissimilar on Sensing-Intuiting doesn't necessarily mean they're going to be incompatible. It depends on other characteristics.

You may have research data that's different from that...

Nope, that all sounds quite reasonable to me.

In terms of making sense of the Myers-Briggs scores, profiles for different types are helpful. Can you recommend an online source?

I did find some descriptions of my type that looked good to me. I suspect it's because they gloss over some of the disadvantages of being that type.

I'm almost always pegged as INTJ. Same thing, this time:

Your Type is
INTJ
Introverted Intuitive Thinking Judging
Strength of the preferences %
78 75 25 33

You are:

* very expressed introvert
* distinctively expressed intuitive personality
* moderately expressed thinking personality
* moderately expressed judging personality

In terms of making sense of the Myers-Briggs scores, profiles for different types are helpful. Can you recommend an online source?

I did find some descriptions of my type that looked good to me. I suspect it's because they gloss over some of the disadvantages of being that type.

Personality Test - Keirsey Temperament Website

The sixteen types are grouped into four groups, each group containing four types. Here's the overview/gateway for the four groups, with profiles for each type available within each group.
http://www.keirsey.com/handler.aspx?s=keirsey&f=fourtemps&tab=1&c=overview

Here's another profile site:
http://typelogic.com/

.... ascertain someone's type from even a short conversation.
Seems tricky since the way some people manifest a type-specific trait can be the opposite of what they're really like. Or at least that's what some of the profile descriptions say....

Other problems: how do we rule out Ideal Self response set? Or Socially Desirable responding? Some people may use the test items to present as the kind of person they'd like to be. Or they might try to fake you out and resemble what they think you'd want them to be in a given context.

Back