Daily Wisdom Saying

Hold not that the immature, the credulous, the foolish, the slow, the layman and the fallen to have nothing good in them. They all teach something. Learn from them. Surely we do not give up a game although we have mastered it? Think not lightly of thy Guru should he lack letters and learning. Take the Truth he teaches and ignore the rest. Know well that a boat, painted and adorned, will carry you across the river; so also will one that is plain and simple.

Sage Dattātreya (Avadhūta Gītā II.1-2)

"We but half express ourselves, and are ashamed of that divine idea which each of us represents."

and

"Life is eating us up. We all shall be fables presently. Keep cool: it will be all one a hundred years hence."

and

"It was high counsel that I once heard given to a young person, 'Always do what you are afraid to do.'"

--Ralph Waldo Emerson

"To dispel the illusion of the ego is to free oneself from a fundamental vulnerability. The fact is, the sense of security derived from that illusion is eminently fragile. Genuine confidence comes from an awareness of a basic quality of our mind and of our potential for transformation and flourishing, what Buddhism calls buddha nature, which is present in all of us."

- Matthieu Ricard

s.

"When I speak of love I am not speaking of some sentimental and weak response. I am speaking of that force which all of the great religions have seen as the supreme unifying principle of life. Love is somehow the key that unlocks the door which leads to ultimate reality. This Hindu-Moslem-Christian-Jewish-Buddhist belief about ultimate reality is beautifully summed up in the first epsitle of Saint John:

Let us love one another; for love is God and everyone that loveth is born of God and knoweth God. He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love. If we love one another God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us.
"Let us hope that this spirit will become the order of the day. We can no longer afford to worship the god of hate or bow before the altar of retaliation. The oceans of history are made turbulent by the ever-rising tides of hate. History is cluttered with the wreckage of nations and individuals that pursued this self-defeating path of hate."

--Martin Luther King, Jr.

"The outward freedom that we shall attain will only be in exact proportion to the inward freedom to which we may have grown at a given moment. And if this is a correct view of freedom, our chief energy must be concentrated on achieving reform from within."

- Gandhi.

I am lifting this Biblical quote from the discussion of fundamentalsim in the liberal Christianity thread. I just really like it and wanted to post it here as well.

"And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell."

Matthew 10:28

I was pointed to this quote attributed to "Buddha" on brainyquote.com. Anyone ever heard this one before?

"Your work is to discover your world and then with all your heart give yourself to it."

I like it, it just seems a bit too... contemporary for the traditional Buddha. Any thoughts?

"I have learned that there is no religious revelation more satisfying than the hard won fruits of simple understanding. And there is no liberation to compare with freeing oneself from the illusions and delusions of the age in which one lives."

--Terence McKenna

We are here on earth to do good for others. What the others are here for, I don't know.

- WH Auden

Love is here like the blood in my veins and skin
He has annihilated me and filled me only with Him
His fire has penetrated all the atoms of my body
Of “me” only my name remains; the rest is Him.

- Rumi.

The dark thought, the shame, the malice,
meet them at the door laughing,
and invite them in.

Be grateful for whoever comes,
because each has been sent
as a guide from beyond.

++--::D)>> Rumi, from "The Phrasing Must Change," translated by Coleman Barks

Back