Alternative christian sects section?

China Cat Sunflower said:
Groan...

...Christian isn't just a religion, it's also a general ethnicity. There's a whole universe of Christian thought, practice, and culture, and it's evolving and changing all the time. There is a desperate need for a broad dialog between all the factions and those on the fringes, not to codify and standardize, but to learn to listen and share. People are crying out for this everywhere you turn. The solution is not to form a consensus on where to erect a fence, but to tear down the fences and walls.

Chris
I couldn't agree more.

2c

Matthew 10:34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. 35 For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. 36 And a man's foes shall be they of his own household. 37 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. 38 And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.

Jesus knew that the Gospel, in some cases, would cause some division.
Many react with hostility to the Gospel, not because Christ's teachings promote hostility but because they are controversial.
Jesus was not suggesting that he came to bring turmoil but it would be an effect of his teachings in some instances.
It will always be that way cause some people will always prefer spiritual darkness to the light of Christ.
John 3:19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.

China Cat Sunflower said:
Groan...

Maybe the main Christianity section should be for Catholics only, and not all of you apostate, alternative, new-agey Protestants.:D

As I said on another thread, Christian isn't just a religion, it's also a general ethnicity. There's a whole universe of Christian thought, practice, and culture, and it's evolving and changing all the time. There is a desperate need for a broad dialog between all the factions and those on the fringes, not to codify and standardize, but to learn to listen and share. People are crying out for this everywhere you turn. The solution is not to form a consensus on where to erect a fence, but to tear down the fences and walls.

Chris

Chris, I think you need another word besides enthnicity here, but that aside...

AMEN!

luna

Just one more thing and I'll let this go. A lot of people have hurt feelings and and a chip on their shoulder from feeling marginalized. If we're ever going to have that big tent dialog it should be understood that there are going to be those who need to vent and get things off their chest. It's just part of the healing process. I'm talking about myself here as much as anyone else. So, at some point we're going to just have to let that happen before we can all settle down and start communicating like adults. It's bound to be a little messy and uncomfortable, but we need to let it happen.

Chris

well, the forum in itself is the broad dialogue, but as you see there are respected divisions within it.

Terrence said:
Real brothers and sisters of the faith get torchered and murdered for Jesus. You get talked about and get doors slamed in your faces early mornings. Thats hardly persecution.

Are you aware that Jehovah's Witnesses were sent to concentration camps in Nazi Germany, simply for being what they were? What you just said only applies to the Western nations... in other countries across the world they suffer the same persecution that you would.

moseslmpg said:
So do we have a verdict? Alternative section is go?
I think that creating such a section would require overall revamping of much of the top part of the board. Also, while it is fine to discuss this it's not really up to the membership to 'decide' and change the structure of the forum. Brian has a forum for feedback and suggestions. I would say that you need to take this up with him.

2c,
luna

lunamoth said:
I think that creating such a section would require overall revamping of much of the top part of the board. Also, while it is fine to discuss this it's not really up to the membership to 'decide' and change the structure of the forum. Brian has a forum for feedback and suggestions. I would say that you need to take this up with him.

2c,
luna

Also, perhaps this thread would be more appropriate in the feedback forum?

luna

aburaees said:
Are you aware that Jehovah's Witnesses were sent to concentration camps in Nazi Germany, simply for being what they were? What you just said only applies to the Western nations... in other countries across the world they suffer the same persecution that you would.

were you aware that the Watchtower Organization were supporters of Hitlers regime???? There is documentation available on the internet... I have never seen nor heard that they were sent to camps...I would like to see some documentation on that fact. I think its very interesting that they have somehow linked themselved to Gods chosen people ...I mean Israel...and the horror committed to them... and even now they are trying to replace Gods chosen people, Israel...in the prophecies... I smell some dastardly business going on by an enemy...

Faithfulservant said:
were you aware that the Watchtower Organization were supporters of Hitlers regime???? There is documentation available on the internet... I have never seen nor heard that they were sent to camps...I would like to see some documentation on that fact. I think its very interesting that they have somehow linked themselved to Gods chosen people ...I mean Israel...and the horror committed to them... and even now they are trying to replace Gods chosen people, Israel...in the prophecies... I smell some dastardly business going on by an enemy...

You can find anything on the internet...

http://www.ushmm.org/wlc/article.php?lang=en&ModuleId=10005394
http://www.holocaust-trc.org/Jehovah.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persecution_of_Jehovah's_Witnesses
http://www.religioustolerance.org/witness10.htm

Jehovah's Witnesses would not get involved in the politics of Germany at the time, it was clearly against their beliefs. In the end they were persecuted for refusing to give military service.
Christians during the rule of the Roman empire did not seek to overthrow or resist their rulers, why you would equate this with supporting a regime is beyond me...

Faithful Servant, are you aware that it wasn't JUST the Jewish nation who were persecuted in Nazi Germany? Though they were the majority of those who suffered, Gypsies were also sent to camps amongst other groups of people for racial, ethnic, religious and ideological reasons.

Faithfulservant said:
were you aware that the Watchtower Organization were supporters of Hitlers regime???? There is documentation available on the internet... I have never seen nor heard that they were sent to camps...I would like to see some documentation on that fact.
quote] not meaning to be disrepectful , but i think we can read many things on the internet ,either the truth about Jehovahs witnesses,such as the links that aburaees put up , or things that are not so true . but at the end of the day i think we read what we want to hear .do we want to hear halftruths and twisted information or are we looking to find out the truth about something.i am surprised that you have never heard about the persucution of Jehovahs witnesses , which in some lands is still going on ,because there is plenty of information out there if we are looking for the facts,the same as there is plenty of info only meant to put over untruths, i can only speak for myself but i would not feel good about myself if i was directing people to untruths and twisted information .especially when it involved the name of God.

I was wrong.. I got the churches mixed up in my head because I cant find anywhere that said they supported Hitler.... Im sorry for bearing false witness against a group of innocent people that dealt with such horror and the family of the people that were persecuted.. I feel bad :(

Faithfulservant said:
I was wrong.. I got the churches mixed up in my head because I cant find anywhere that said they supported Hitler.... Im sorry for bearing false witness against a group of innocent people that dealt with such horror and the family of the people that were persecuted.. I feel bad :(

I believe you may be referring to the (gulp) german Seventh-day Adventists.

Faithfulservant said:

Indeed, 10,000 JWs ended up in concentration camps during WWII. Considering there were less than 2,000,000 world wide at the time that is a significant number. (not to belittle the suffering of those 10,000 humans). :eek:

Prober said:
I believe you may be referring to the (gulp) german Seventh-day Adventists.

Unfortunately that may indeed be the case. But then consider that the Catholic Church (Vatican) did not help matters much either, but individual churches were paramount in their support of potential victims of Nazi Germany. Possibly the same could be said for the 7th Day Adventists...

Damn, I just realized. We have a version of Liberal Christian thought sitting right here, and we aren't trying to spit on each other...

Maybe it isn't the concept of Christianity, but the mindset of individuals?

Oh, maybe I'll just go back into my hole.

Yes German JW's as individuals were persecuted by the Nazis...who wasnt.
I think it might be good for everyone to go look at the writings and actions of Joseph F Rutherford and Nathan H. Knorr. Especially the Decleration of Facts from 1933 convention in Berlin. and the letter to Hitler from 33.

Back