100 things to do before I go...

I have not yet traveled in the circles that anything more than spanish is important in the US. I know some folks who work in the auto and manufacturing industry where Japanese is important. And as China is taking off in further in the export and import business it could be true in those circles.

As for 100 things...I've started on a list of 1000 got upto about 300...and things start getting completed off the list as your list grows.

Many say 1000 things is nuts...but it is interesting how things get erased. And their are well over 100 places in the world I would like to visit....in about 10 years don't be surprised if I'm knocking on your door!

cavalier said:
We see things in the newspaper over here that Mandarin is becomming much more important in America, is that true?

wil said:
I have not yet traveled in the circles that anything more than spanish is important in the US. I know some folks who work in the auto and manufacturing industry where Japanese is important. And as China is taking off in further in the export and import business it could be true in those circles.

Spanish is almost a necessity where I live. I know enough that I can get around pretty well. Except for the little I learned in high school, I have just picked it up where I could. The secret is not being afraid to use it, so I have tried to use it where it would do no harm if I got it wrong. One thing I do is incorporate a phrase here and there when I speak to my grandchildren, because I don't think they realize how much they may need to know it in order to effectively communicate. And it is a beautiful language, to boot. I have a couple of grandbabies with Hispanic surnames, and (back on topic here:)) I'd like to see that they learn the language that others may expect them to understand. I just think it would open up so many opportunities for them.

I know that from my experience near the Canadian border that French is a very handy language to have in your pocket, especially if you live or travel in the area much. Mandarin is definitely becoming more prominent here in the U.S., as are many other languages. I'd love to know as many as possible, but probably English and Spanish are the ones I will hopefully utililize and enjoy with success "before I go". One area where I have seen how helpful it is to communicate is in the medical arena. There are interpreters provided in more than thirty languages at my local hospital!

InPeace,
InLove

Juan- you simply must get to Yosemite. It is one of the most beautiful places on earth. And go for a while- explore Tuolumne too and hike around a lot. Also the Bristlecone Pines are amazing. That area is where I did my doctoral research and it was truly a blessing that NSF supported me living in such an amazing environment for six months. :) Thank you, ranchers and NSF!

As for me, my list could go on indefinitely. I sometimes wish I could come back to do more after I go- seems like too much to fit into one lifetime, given that I spend an inordinate amount of my time sleeping and working. :(

I'd love to be on all seven continents (two down, five to go). My mentor and his wife finally got to Antarctica a couple years ago, their last continent. That same year they hit 100 countries.

Trek the Himalayas.

See Patagonia.

Go to Stonehenge for the Summer Solstice.

Climb Kilimanjaro and see large game herds in the wild.

Ride horses in Mongolia.

Pet a big cat- lion, tiger, whatever- just something.

Stay a while in a convent or monastery in silence.

Not sure if I'll get to (he's already pretty old), but I'd love to meet the Dalai Llama, or at least hear him speak. Though, I guess according to that tradition, it wouldn't matter which Dalai Llama I meet. :)

Ride Andalusians in one of the Portugese classical riding schools.

Though I don't know if it will ever settle down enough to be reasonably safe, I'd really love to go to Jerusalem and walk where Christ walked.

Japan- especially the Shinto and Buddhist sites.

Visit Mayan ruins.

Hike in a rainforest.

Learn to do the Latin dances, like Salsa and Tango.

Learn Akido.

Try out longbow archery.

Learn to play the cello. I actually have a cello now, I just haven't had the time to learn how to play it.

Finally finish this dissertation and start publishing books. :eek:

Make an impact- I'd love to help with conservation and development in the Third World. I hope that I can leave this earth just a little better than I found it.

Become a tenure-track professor so that I can impact students and teach compassion.

Adopt a child.

Not necessarily in that order...

Ultimately, I want to die knowing I have lived. Really, truly lived. I love the way Luna put it- to love wastefully.

Path--(Hi!) When you go to the solstice celebration, take me with you, huh?:) And ditto on Jerusalem and the area, as well as the Mayan ruins, especially the (what's it called?) the temple of scriptures?

And I forgot to mention sign language.

And sailing my own little boat. And dancing again (well enough to be dipped--yes, the tango!)

And wil, what do you like for supper? Give us a call when you get to the highway!

InPeace,
InLove

Path--(Hi!) When you go to the solstice celebration, take me with you, huh?:)

I might actually get this one done this coming year. The Druid group I've been associated with does an annual celebration at Glastonbury that moves over to Stonehenge for the Summer Solstic sunrise. Wanna come? :D

I still don't know if I'll be able to afford it, but I'm going to try. I tend to fly last minute standby anyway (I have an aunt who is a flight attendant so I normally fly on a pass), and I like traveling without reservations- just go and see what you find and decide to do. I'd just try flying out several days in advance so I could get a flight if the others are booked.

Stonehenge is only open to the public on certain days and times; otherwise you're behind a rope barrier thingie. I really want to experience being inside the stones, and I'd love to see it "in action." :)

Oh, and I have my husband dip me all the time when I dance. We don't know what we're really doing, but it's too fun not to do! LOL

Kindest Regards, Path! Good to see you back around!
Juan- you simply must get to Yosemite. It is one of the most beautiful places on earth.
I've seen lots and lots of pictures (it's hard to grow up an hour and a half away and not be surrounded by pictures), but I hear the traffic is horrible. John Muir rocks!

And go for a while- explore Tuolumne too and hike around a lot.
All of those mountains up around there are awesome! Weren't the Tuolumne an Indian tribe. Weren't the Yaqui some of their (not necessarily nice) neighbors?

Also the Bristlecone Pines are amazing. That area is where I did my doctoral research and it was truly a blessing that NSF supported me living in such an amazing environment for six months. :) Thank you, ranchers and NSF!
Oh, wow! A friend long lost in my distant past told me she spent a little time up around Bishop on assignment writing travel brochures. Amazing was only one adjective she used, but she used it a lot along with a few others. I am somewhat envious, and extremely happy you had such a wonderful experience!

I did want to say I think everybody has some great ideas. I would have not thought of the more sublime things, which is more a testament to where I have been and where I am at in my life I suppose.

I do think I must have a touch of tree-hugger in me though, because a lot of the things on my list are ancient trees to see. There is an ancient Cypress tree I have seen pictures of in North Carolina, there are Bristlecones pines outside of Bishop rumored to be even older than Methuselah, there is a tree in Africa (I have long thought Kenya) that I learned was called "the Mother Tree," but I cannot find it on the web by that name.

I want to see the places on the earth below sea-level: Death Valley, Salton Sea (check), Dead Sea, and Turfan Depression on the Silk Road in North West China.

I want to see with my own eyes some of the mysterious carvings on mountains and desert plains, Nazca only being the type example, but there are those in Australia, England and elsewhere.

I would like to travel the Trans-Alaska highway.

I would like to scuba dive. Once I do that, I imagine I would find many places to explore, but just getting to dive would be a thrill in itself. Although I would love to lay eyes on the sea floor off Bimini (the fabled Bimini road).

I would love to stand on the point farthest south on the South American continent and look across to Antarctica.

:D And if I ever make it to Tahiti, I keep telling myself I'm not coming back. ;)

Well sorry, first I need to pay my mortgage before I go.

Why would you care about your mortgage? You'll be dead.... The one place these *censored* can't tax you. Well, after your inheirtance/death tax... Then they can tax you no longer :D

Also when your paying monthly for mortgages... Do you not have a policy once one of the peoples names on the deed die the mortgage is paid off.

OH and another thing I need to add to my list of things to do before I kick the bucket... Draft a will.

Also when your paying monthly for mortgages... Do you not have a policy once one of the peoples names on the deed die the mortgage is paid off.

My dear wife reassured me we do have that policy.
Will need to hire a ninja assassin, then travel the world!:eek:

My dear wife reassured me we do have that policy.
Will need to hire a ninja assassin, then travel the world!:eek:

kekeke... Can hire me, my loyalty is unbreakable but can be bought :D We can be like that cartoon that was on when I was a kid! phileas fogg and his trusted assitant! :D Would be fun times...

That death policy on mortgages... For those who pay monthy, is truly peace of mind I would suspect. Cause... yoooou never know.

There are many things I could put but the one's that spring to my mind now are:-

To be happy more

To not think about death of myself and others so much

To be at peace with myself

To travel the world more and see things

To be liked by everybody

To try and tolerate people and their ways more

To loose my short and bad temper

To see life and it's meaning for what it really is

To cultivate my physic and healing ability to help people

To heal my sufferings from previous lives

To get my chest & forearms tattooed and maybe a nipple piercing too!

:D We can be like that cartoon that was on when I was a kid! phileas fogg and his trusted assitant! :D
That was a great cartoon.

Hey now the story must go on
'cause a lot of time has gone
we must be ready to goooo away.

Penguin said:
To not think about death of myself and others so much

Hey Penguin--your list touched my heart. I can relate. I noticed, as well, that there have been some comments along the lines of having "one's house in order". Hopefully I won't be sounding morbid or anything, but this can be such a good thing for those who have to go on without your daily physical presence here. May I share a recent experience?

As some of you know, my mother recently passed on at the age of 66. Being the wonderful, thoughtful person she was (is:)), she made transferable funeral arrangements and provisions ahead of time. I am thankful she was able to do this--I see from all the receipts that it was not that easy. When it was time, I went straight to her files, found the "funeral folder", and made the necessary calls. It was hard enough as it was, but her thoughtfulness made it so much less devastating.

Not only that, but in that folder, she left a page of simple wishes, including the music, scriptures, and the pastor she would like, if possible, at her memorial "celebration" and a sweet and sincere statement of her love. I also found, in her closet, a pink suit without a note, but clean and preserved by a big white shirt--uncharacteristic of anything else in her closet.

It just helped so much. I just thought I'd post this, because her actions have inspired me to try and do the same for my loved ones. I admit that this past year, when I came close to leaving this world, I worried that my affairs were not in an easy order for my family. I maybe can't provide everything she managed, but I can start. It was just a great gift--and I was thinking that even though it requires thinking about death for a while, it may have given her the peace not to have to dwell on it so much.

Just my thoughts.

InPeace,
InLove

That was a great cartoon.

Hey now the story must go on
'cause a lot of time has gone
we must be ready to goooo away.

It suuuuuuuuuure was, I loved that theme song!

Hey Penguin--your list touched my heart. I can relate. I noticed, as well, that there have been some comments along the lines of having "one's house in order". Hopefully I won't be sounding morbid or anything, but this can be such a good thing for those who have to go on without your daily physical presence here. May I share a recent experience?

As some of you know, my mother recently passed on at the age of 66. Being the wonderful, thoughtful person she was (is:)), she made transferable funeral arrangements and provisions ahead of time. I am thankful she was able to do this--I see from all the receipts that it was not that easy. When it was time, I went straight to her files, found the "funeral folder", and made the necessary calls. It was hard enough as it was, but her thoughtfulness made it so much less devastating.

Not only that, but in that folder, she left a page of simple wishes, including the music, scriptures, and the pastor she would like, if possible, at her memorial "celebration" and a sweet and sincere statement of her love. I also found, in her closet, a pink suit without a note, but clean and preserved by a big white shirt--uncharacteristic of anything else in her closet.

It just helped so much. I just thought I'd post this, because her actions have inspired me to try and do the same for my loved ones. I admit that this past year, when I came close to leaving this world, I worried that my affairs were not in an easy order for my family. I maybe can't provide everything she managed, but I can start. It was just a great gift--and I was thinking that even though it requires thinking about death for a while, it may have given her the peace not to have to dwell on it so much.

Just my thoughts.

InPeace,
InLove

She sounds a very intelligent and "switched on" woman.. Many try to ignore death... Fair enough when you are a kid, but even when they grow they try to 'avoid' and not accept they have to sadly die. And for someone to have all their affairs in order makes alot less stress and pressure on the grief strucken relatives.. My father died earlier this year (4 - 5 months back) and he had no will, he had nothing sorted whatsoever... And it has left many people like a pack of wolves fighting over his possessions and amungst this comotion the funueral and so on had to be arranged and it would have been so much easier on everyone if he had crossed all the T's and dotted every i.

Hi Angel--

Please accept my virtual hug. It's real.

I "lost" a spouse in '95, Loved him very much. He had no clear-cut instructions or wishes for us, so we did have to guess. I knew him pretty well, so my hope is that I did a good job.

You know, I could get up from this computer, slip and fall, and be off to the next dimension with my next and last breath. I would leave my loved ones guessing, to a certain extent--and trying to figure out how to pay for it all. I pray (I know--no religion here, but I yam what I yam:)) that if things happen in such a way, then there will be enough love to go around. In the meantime (if there is any:rolleyes:) I'll get started as best I can on making it easier for them.

It will give me a bit more peace, too, I think. But while I am allowing myself to dwell a bit on death, I resolve to find time for life's beautiful moments along the way. I know of no other thing to do.

Love to you--

InPeace,
InLove

path_of_one said:
I might actually get this one done this coming year. The Druid group I've been associated with does an annual celebration at Glastonbury that moves over to Stonehenge for the Summer Solstic sunrise. Wanna come? :D

Stonehenge is only open to the public on certain days and times; otherwise you're behind a rope barrier thingie. I really want to experience being inside the stones, and I'd love to see it "in action." :)

I was hoping that maybe we could just get our popcorn and sneak past the ticket booth and beat the crowd.:D

Well, I guess I am one step closer (upcoming pun alert) to completing my list. It wasn't the tango, but I did manage to slow dance a little with my husband at a recent wedding. :)

Now on to Stonehenge! (Maybe I'll sail there.)

InPeace,
InLove

Back