Christianity without Jesus?

To some, I'd say the Names matter, for it is hard to talk about God's Love without words. And some Names are just too dear to our hearts to forget. Maybe that's it. Maybe what really matters is what we do in honor of the Names we know and love. I'm just thinking, wil--not preaching. I hope both you and Zagreus know that.:)

InPeace,
InLove
Hey InLove-what we do with our "heart," surrendering it to the Divine and fellow humanity I agree is always what matters, largely irrespecive of in who's name we do it. But, Wil and Andrew, my earlier point was simply why do you two, (well one as we know you, Andrew, pratice "theosophy" not "Christianity" per se), bother with labeling yourself as "Christian" if you excluded Jesus and Christ from your Christianity? I mean quite literally instead of (Christ)ianity that would make it just "ianity.":D earl

Hey InLove-what we do with our "heart," surrendering it to the Divine and fellow humanity I agree is always what matters, largely irrespecive of in who's name we do it. But, Wil and Andrew, my earlier point was simply why do you two, (well one as we know you, Andrew, pratice "theosophy" not "Christianity" per se), bother with labeling yourself as "Christian" if you excluded Jesus and Christ from your Christianity? I mean quite literally instead of (Christ)ianity that would make it just "ianity.":D earl
As I'm headed out the door, my one-line response would be ... it's not the (Christ) which doesn't belong in Christianity (heaven literally forbid!), but rather, what I revolt against is churchianity.

A second line (I know, I know) would be: If, by taking the unapproachable, unreachable, totally and altogether "beyond us" ideal of `JESUS' OUT of Christianity (Churchianity) ... we can somehow manage to LOVE one another, co-operate and co-exist a little better ... then all the better, that's what I believe Jesus would have wanted (and wants) anyway. :)

But (okay, last line), instead, we have the church, and now we don't have to Love one another, and act like anything and anyone actually matters, because hey, all we have to do is worship Jesus (as a God) ... and in the popular imagination, God will take care of the rest.

~andrew

Hi All:

Mythos does not mean that principal characters carry the life themes of the parts of humanity that they represent only within their names. Traditions worldwide tell us that naming does have a powerful affect upon human cultures.

What Mythos means is that they are the spiritual force beings that carry spiritual meaning into the sacred stories of their peoples. In this way they are the people who have bound together the human family when things get tough. They just have special names at different times and places, but they all tend to exhibit that special blend of all loving kindness and power that is so special to behold. It's how the stories always start.

So the names of the heros may be Jesus Christ, Lord Krishna, Prince Gautauma, Lao Tzu, Confucius, Moses, Mohammed, Osiris, Atra Hasis, Ahura Mazda, etc. ( perhaps I'm a theosophist in failed Christian's clothing ). This is just what seems to happen when civilizations and their infrastructures and interactions are about to go through some large changes. It's how the generations survive the big changes when they come. It's how George Lucas, with Joseph Campbell's help prepared us all to understand the never-ending fight between the light and darkness when we see it all around us each day.

You're all so very smart and such loving people. I am so happy to, once in a while, be a part of what you all have here.

Cheers !

flow....:)

If, by taking the unapproachable, unreachable, totally and altogether "beyond us" ideal of `JESUS' OUT of Christianity (Churchianity) ... we can somehow manage to LOVE one another, co-operate and co-exist a little better ... then all the better, that's what I believe Jesus would have wanted (and wants) anyway. :)
uhhhhhhhh...I think that part is the exact thing we need to love, cooperate and coexist better.
hey, all we have to do is worship Jesus (as a God) ... and in the popular imagination, God will take care of the rest.

~andrew

Don't know if you're jesting here but no, we don't worship Jesus, we worship G-d. IMO Jesus is the human part's name. But we can call Him that for reference's sake.

Thoughts?

Regards,
Mark

P.S. Okay, reading the two parts of Zag's post I choose to copy. If you specifically meant the "beyond us" ideal of Jesus, not G-d but Jesus. I could identify and probably agree with that.

Last edited:
Mark,

I think you've pretty well picked up on my intent. I guess I'd say this ... Seems like so long as we continue to call a thing "Divine," it's just that much easier to remove it from the realm of human possibility altogether. And the trial by fire, for me, is not "Can WE accept God's, or Christ's Love FOR US" ... but rather, "Can WE express some measure of God's Love for One Another?"

And I feel certain that the answer is YES (of course!) ... so the challenge is just Will we?

~~~

Christianity seems to me a useful instrument for God to work with & through on Earth, only insofar as Christians put Christ's teachings into practice. I think we can say the same thing exactly about Hinduism, Buddhism, Zoroastrianism, or Islam. And we could have this same discussion about imagining a Buddhism without Buddha if we wanted to. ;) :)

So I can only echo the thoughts which I remember many (Christian) members at CR expressing ... even many months ago ... and say that whatever draws us closer to God, to Spirit, and to the very heart of Love - and especially that which helps us GIVE expression to these things (for the benefit of others) ... THAT is what is good, and most important. Wasn't it that guy, mmm, Howard Sturm, who said that? Err, Howard Stern? No, defintely not him. :p

Hmmm. Help! (InLove knows, but so do others; I just forget his name.)

Anyway, if a person feels that 95% of Christianity is the path for them, but say, the notion of Christ's miracles is just a bit too over the top, then SO WHAT. This person can be genuinely altruistic, with a pure heart, creativity of mind, a noble and empowering spirit, and the utmost dedication to the improvement of the lives of others. And s/he can do it all to the glory of God, and for the ennobling of the Spirit of God in each of us, and even despite the spirit of discord, or divisiveness, which is also in each of us.

And suppose another person must reject Christ's Resurrection, yet feels that no greater example of the Love of one person for another has ever existed on earth. Because of personal experiences, and even perhaps the gift of being able to see and feel the living energy that binds us and enfolds us, such a person may be a DEVOUT believer in a Supreme Being, or `God.' Here, again, the Way that makes the most sense for them can be Christianity!

Eventually, if we consider all the possible variations on the theme of Christ, what we might find we're left with is more the Mythos, along the lines of what flowperson is saying, than the historical, flesh'n'blood Jesus of Nazareth. And if a person also happens to feel strongly that all of Humanity shares a Mystical connection, s/he may come to regard the `Body of Christ' as essentially (Fundamentally) our shared Spiritual heritage, connectedness, and common Destiny.

Christ said, I am the Alpha, and the Omega. My (actual) belief is that the Christ Presence indwells us all, and to this, Christ referred when He said, `Alpha,' or First. One cannot force a flower to open, yet Nature, if we allow her, knows precisely how to accomplish this wonder of beauty. Perhaps a self-conscious (a spirituallly self-conscious) flower might be able to hasten its own unfoldment, yet this is still between God, and the Flower.

The Omega, or condition of Christ unfolded within us each and all, even to that same point - or beyond - which was the case with Christ Jesus ... is one of the many Holy Purposes for which I believe the Logos "deemed it wise to submit Himself to incarnation," to borrow an Eastern expression. And so long as a person is able to accept the broadest definition that Christ equals Love, just as God equals Love, then do the rest of the details really matter?

~~~~~

earl, in better answer to your question (I can only speak for me, not for wil), does this make sense? You might think otherwise, but my goal is not to be perceived by others (anyone, really) as "a Christian" ... for my own belief is that acta virum probant - by our actions we define ourselves, and with our thoughts we create the world!

Millions of people call themselves Christians, yet I would not dare. Presently, I would be so embarassed because I do not begin to embody Christ's moral teachings ... and there is no way I could point to my own life as an example. Besides, all people seem to see is my finger anyway, so if I even raise my hand, I'm leading them away from the bright sunshine, and obstructing their path back to God unwittingly!

Yet suppose I DO more greatly embody Christ's teachings. What then? Will I likely be saying, "Hey look, look at me! See this here? See my altruism? See my generosity? See my brotherly love? See my good works?" Do we usually even pay as much attention to such false prophets, who carry on in this way, as we do to Anna Nicole Smith, Osama Bin Laden, and Adolph Hitler (who is, after all, getting all sorts of airtime again here at CR)?

What then, can we do, if our real message is Brotherly Love, and if we feel that the embodiment of the Christian ideal is more critical at this time than at any other than in human history!

Is it irony, that on a Liberal Christian discussion forum, we find ourselves contemplating a Christianity without Christ (!) ... or in some kind of double, triple-blind, reverse-reverse transpersonal psychological sort of way - might we not simply be opening our hearts and minds to make room for the Christ that IS, by testing the waters of a new acceptance of the christ that isn't?

hmmm ...

Love and Light,

Andrew/zagreus

Here is a brief article, dating back to 1959, written on Jesus - The Man, from a Theosophical perspective. I believe it would interest many of us engaged in this discussion. One need not be familiar with Theosophical teachings at all ... to see a dozen or more points worth discussing.

If anything in particular is relevant, please bring it up ... or we can look at it on another thread. I don't want to further derail wil's gedankenexperiment with a long string of quotes. ;)

cheers,

andrew

Hi Everybody!

I thought I would share a Theosophical teaching, because it is pertinent to this discussion. Theosophy teaches the concept of the Trinity just as Chrisitianity does. (Theosophy does not teach that Jesus was God incarnate.) There is a universal principle called The Son, and Jesus is (incorrectly, according to Theosophy) an anthropomorphization of this principle.

Here are the main principles in the story:

1. The Absolute, also called Darkness

Darkness is another name for the Absolute. "...and darkness was over the face of the deep...." (Genesis 1:1)

2. Father, also called Spirit

"And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters." (Genesis 1:1)

3. Mother, also called Water and Matter

"And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters." (Genesis 1:1)

4. The Son, also called The Universe, and The Light.

From Spirit and Matter comes the Son, the full manifestation of the Absolute (Darkness).

---

Before our Universe even appears, Spirit moves across matter, thrilling it into activity. This "thrilled matter" is the Son, which gells into the object we call the Universe.

The Son (the Universe, The Light) only appears and disappears periodically. This agrees with the scientific theory of the Big Bang, the appearing of our universe (one of many), which will eventually disappear (The Big Crunch), which is when the Light will again go out. The purpose of the periodic-only appearing of the Universe-Light-Son is to allow for a period of rest. (The Bible leaves out the part about the Light eventatually going out, and reappearing next universe, because Genesis is only concerned with this universe.)

Now, let's tie this into the discussion of "Christianity without Jesus". Theosophy definitely teaches of a Trinity without Jesus. Jesus is only an anthropomorphization of a universal principle. (Mary is only an anthropomorphization of the universal principle called Water or Matter.)

---

The Trinity is a concept known to all the world's major religions.

Mark,

I think you've pretty well picked up on my intent. I guess I'd say this ... Seems like so long as we continue to call a thing "Divine," it's just that much easier to remove it from the realm of human possibility altogether. And the trial by fire, for me, is not "Can WE accept God's, or Christ's Love FOR US" ... but rather, "Can WE express some measure of God's Love for One Another?"

And I feel certain that the answer is YES (of course!) ... so the challenge is just Will we?

uhhhhh...I agree with the thought, but the G-d in Jesus is divine IMO. The way I see it...Jesus Christ was a walk-in of G-d into Jesus.

G-d = Divine
Jesus Christ = Fully Divine / Fully human
Jesus = Human
~~~

Christianity seems to me a useful instrument for God to work with & through on Earth, only insofar as Christians put Christ's teachings into practice. I think we can say the same thing exactly about Hinduism, Buddhism, Zoroastrianism, or Islam. And we could have this same discussion about imagining a Buddhism without Buddha if we wanted to. ;) :)

So I can only echo the thoughts which I remember many (Christian) members at CR expressing ... even many months ago ... and say that whatever draws us closer to God, to Spirit, and to the very heart of Love - and especially that which helps us GIVE expression to these things (for the benefit of others) ... THAT is what is good, and most important. Wasn't it that guy, mmm, Howard Sturm, who said that? Err, Howard Stern? No, defintely not him. :p

Hmmm. Help! (InLove knows, but so do others; I just forget his name.)
As long as it glorifies G-d, Yes.
Anyway, if a person feels that 95% of Christianity is the path for them, but say, the notion of Christ's miracles is just a bit too over the top, then SO WHAT. This person can be genuinely altruistic, with a pure heart, creativity of mind, a noble and empowering spirit, and the utmost dedication to the improvement of the lives of others. And s/he can do it all to the glory of God, and for the ennobling of the Spirit of God in each of us, and even despite the spirit of discord, or divisiveness, which is also in each of us.
I dont' think you can discount any of it and still call it Christianity.
And suppose another person must reject Christ's Resurrection, yet feels that no greater example of the Love of one person for another has ever existed on earth. Because of personal experiences, and even perhaps the gift of being able to see and feel the living energy that binds us and enfolds us, such a person may be a DEVOUT believer in a Supreme Being, or `God.' Here, again, the Way that makes the most sense for them can be Christianity!
mmmm...I agree they they may be able to follow this path and perhaps even find salvation that way, only G-d knows for sure. But...I don't think you can call it Christianity. Take the yeast out of bread and it becomes crackers, etc.
Eventually, if we consider all the possible variations on the theme of Christ, what we might find we're left with is more the Mythos, along the lines of what flowperson is saying, than the historical, flesh'n'blood Jesus of Nazareth. And if a person also happens to feel strongly that all of Humanity shares a Mystical connection, s/he may come to regard the `Body of Christ' as essentially (Fundamentally) our shared Spiritual heritage, connectedness, and common Destiny.
I don't see anything with which to disagree here.
Christ said, I am the Alpha, and the Omega. My (actual) belief is that the Christ Presence indwells us all, and to this, Christ referred when He said, `Alpha,' or First. One cannot force a flower to open, yet Nature, if we allow her, knows precisely how to accomplish this wonder of beauty. Perhaps a self-conscious (a spirituallly self-conscious) flower might be able to hasten its own unfoldment, yet this is still between God, and the Flower.
I believe this too. A funny...when we were kids our mom told us that she pulled open a flower bud to see what was inside. A beautiful flower was inside but soon it turned black and died. She said a moral of the story was that you shouldn't have sex before your body was ready. This led to endless jokes between us, as you may well imagine.:D Perhaps it applies to other things as well...
The Omega, or condition of Christ unfolded within us each and all, even to that same point - or beyond - which was the case with Christ Jesus ... is one of the many Holy Purposes for which I believe the Logos "deemed it wise to submit Himself to incarnation," to borrow an Eastern expression. And so long as a person is able to accept the broadest definition that Christ equals Love, just as God equals Love, then do the rest of the details really matter?
I guess that's the question. I think they do, but then, my painting has many tiny brush strokes and shadings. A couple of quotes...

"broad is the way that leads to destruction" and then, of course,
"except ye be as little children, ye can in no wise enter the kingdom of heaven". (Sorry, don't have the verse locations memorized)

Balance, balance, balance...
[/quote]
What then, can we do, if our real message is Brotherly Love, and if we feel that the embodiment of the Christian ideal is more critical at this time than at any other than in human history!
We can practice what we preach! And love IS the message!
Is it irony, that on a Liberal Christian discussion forum, we find ourselves contemplating a Christianity without Christ (!) ... or in some kind of double, triple-blind, reverse-reverse transpersonal psychological sort of way - might we not simply be opening our hearts and minds to make room for the Christ that IS, by testing the waters of a new acceptance of the christ that isn't?

hmmm ...

Love and Light,

Andrew/zagreus
Plenty about which to think...

Many, many thanks, Andrew!

All the Good Stuff,
Mark

Hi Everyone--

I've been following the conversation as closely as I can, time allowance as I know it now being somewhat of a clunker in the cog. :) Anyway, caught your reference to a quote you are looking for, Zag. It is wil who quotes it often, and I am not sure to whom it is originally attributed. I can't remember it word for word, but it is something like: The best religion is the one that brings you closest to God. Maybe wil can stop by and be more helpful on this note.

Anyway, while looking for that one, I ran across this one, with which I have little doubt you are familiar. I just thought I would put it up here on screen for you: "After silence, that which comes closest to expressing the inexpressible is music." (Aldous Huxley). :) If this is already on the thread, my apologies. I just thought it would give you a smile, Andrew.

Flow, thanks for the post on Mythos. I reciprocate your sentiments and I am glad you are here. You contribute so much to the discussions around the forums from your unique way of seeing, and I thank you for it.

Well, as I said, I've only had time to skim through, but I'll be re-reading. Interesting stuff.

InPeace,
InLove

..But, Wil .. why do you .. bother with labeling yourself as "Christian" if you excluded Jesus and Christ from your Christianity? I mean quite literally instead of (Christ)ianity that would make it just "ianity.":D earl
Mostly because I don't. Take Jesus out of Christianity that is. This is a discussion, a "what if?", a contemplation. Jesus and the bible are very much in my Christianity.

Tis funny how that happens though, sort of like that 80's country song, "Take this job and shove it" Everyone always forgets that was a contemplation, he never said it, he said, "I wonder what the boss would say if I had the nerve to say..." I just have the nerve to voice and discuss and then it is implied that is actually my belief. Of course that is also what the doctor thinks if you tell him a friend wants to know what it means if it burns when he....

Beyond that....123, I believe our brothers ZagAndTai came clean in another post.

Hmmm...is Zagreus our beloved Taijasi? Out with it Zag...I have long thought you were Taijasi in disguise, the two styles are too similar to be mere coincidence.

The clouds part... a shaft of brilliant light shines upon the land and sea...and a deep and resonant voice cries out, "There are no coincidences !". Did Cecil B. DeMlle do that one ? He should've probably.

flow....:p

christianity with out the jesus..... Is like kool aid without the...

*leaves the forums....*

Comes smashing through this threads wall with a jar... "OOOOOOH YEAAA!!!"

This is my artist impression of jesus without christianity....
(professionals have said it is accurate... *nods*)

REDJESUS.png

Back