I agree that humans are really screwed up

Kindest Regards, pattimax!
Sorry Juan, truth is not relative on the Christianity page.
[/i]
There is always the possibility I may be mistaken.

What truth? G-d? That to me seems the only definitive objective truth we have limited access to.

Christianity has no patent or copyright on truth, or G-d. The path laid by Jesus before those who choose Christianity is not unlike the path laid before others of different faiths. Through the teachings of Jesus, Christians walk the path in the direction of G-d. Through the teachings of Moses, Jews walk the path in the direction of G-d. Through the teachings of Mohamed, Muslims walk the path in the direction of G-d. In my opinion and while they may not quite understand, through the teachings of Buddha, Buddhist walk the path in the direction of G-d (upper case). Through the teachings of the Vedas, Hindus walk the path in the direction of G-d. Through various folk traditions, many Pagans walk the path in the direction of G-d.

If G-d is the objective truth, the subjective truth is in any of us trying to put a human face on G-d. He has none that we may view (we would go insane at best). G-d is not made in the image of man, male or female. We run the risk of making "a god" in our own image when we ascribe human attributes to Him. It is sufficient to know He exists, and that things are going as He intends. When they are not going as He intends it is not by His hand, but by those humans that dare to intervene. And we dare, far too often, because of this little glitch in our system called "rational mind." The Knowledge of Good and Evil formed a curtain that separates us from Him, clouds our better judgement, prevents us from continually remaining in His "will," and requires us to seek Him mentally, spiritually and ultimately physically.

Jesus is instrumental in guiding us back to G-d, for Christians. It is through his teachings that I strive to return to my Heavenly Father, because that is the path I know and understand. Had I been born Jewish, I would still strive to return to my Heavenly Father, but I would do so through the teachings of Moses. Had I been born Muslim, I would strive to return to my Heavenly Father through the teachings of Mohamed. Had I been born Buddhist, I would strive to return to my Heavenly Father through the teachings of the Buddha. Had I been born Hindu, I would strive to return to my Heavenly Father through the teachings of the Vedas. Had I been born Pagan, I would strive to return to my Heavenly Father through whatever traditions passed down to me through generations of family and sages. No matter where or when I was born, I would still strive to return to my Heavenly Father through whatever means available to me. This is the law written on my heart.

No path has all of the answers. Not even Christianity. One doesn't need all of the answers, just enough of the correct answers to pass the final test, the Great White Throne of Judgement. And all of these paths have those answers available buried within the mythos, speculation, metaphor and allegory, hints and allegations. Faith, hope and charity...and love one another as I have loved you.

It is human politics that has created the "triumphalism" (thanks Dauer!) that makes any one path politically deem itself supreme over all others. It is manipulation of the masses by the greedy and the power hungry that have turned paths against one another. It is humans who have twisted the gifts G-d has given each of us. G-d created all of us, and placed all of us where He intended for us to be. He created the Muslim and the Jew, just as He created the Buddhist, the Hindu and the Pagan. And it is all very good, as stated at the time of the sixth day creation, even before Adam and Eve and the Garden.

G-d desires that none perish, and if any one holds true to what path they have been placed upon, they will not perish. The compass written on each person's heart will lead them in the right direction. Just because any one does not belong to an exclusive club (exclusive because some man says so), does not mean they will be destroyed in the end. We are all given the same opportunity, a path laid before us. What we do on that path is what determines whether we will be found acceptable, or wanting.

Subjective truths, like heaven versus reincarnation, are irrelevant. Subjective truths like Yoga versus Meditation, are irrelevant. Subjective truths like prayer versus chanting, are irrelevant. Not irrelevant to those who practice any one of these, but irrelevant in the sense that there is no "one" way that is the "only" way. All of these, properly used in context, are tools to assist us on the path back to our Heavenly Father. All of these, properly used in context, put our minds on a higher realm, and help us aspire to spiritual things. We cannot see these spiritual things, but we know them and that they exist, we intuit them. We sense them. We pursue what we sense using those tools available to us through the various paths. But the tools are not the path, and the tools are not the destination, and in the end analysis the tools are irrelevant.

Perhaps this is better suited to another board, but the context of discussion brought it to light here. ;) :)

Actually that is not a bad idea, I copied this post to the B&S board. The thread named "I may be mistaken..."

Last edited:
fyi: Buddha was not a prophet, he was a man like all of us, the only difference is that he was "awake."

To reiterate my favorite quote:

"The best religion is the religion that brings you closest to God." - Howard Storm

For me, I happen to believe that it's through Christ.

fyi: Buddha was not a prophet, he was a man like all of us, the only difference is that he was "awake."
so was Christ for he was tempted just like us, for it is written:
Hebrews 2:18 For in that he himself hath suffered being tempted, he is able to succour them that are tempted.

so was Christ for he was tempted just like us, for it is written:
Hebrews 2:18 For in that he himself hath suffered being tempted, he is able to succour them that are tempted.

Siddartha Guatamo was disgusted with Hinduism. Religious authority had become hereditary and explosive. Gods grace had become confused in ways that had undercut human responsibility, promoted mysticism, and was obsessed with the perverse, miracles, and the fantastic. He "woke up" entire segments of the population. What is your definition of a prophet?

Last edited:
Kindest Regards, pattimax!

Relativism belongs elsewhere.
Tolerance belongs everywhere.

Just the same, your wish had been fulfilled before you even wrote...

Perhaps this is better suited to another board, but the context of discussion brought it to light here. ;) :)

Actually that is not a bad idea, I copied this post to the B&S board. The thread named "I may be mistaken..."

I thought prophets were supposed to have some sort of direct communication to god, im pretty ignorant on this one so if it's different please tell me. But if im correct, then Buddha, not asserting the idea of god, could not be a prophet.
Although the words we use aren't really the important part, it's their meaning. If a prophet can exist without god than yes you could say he was a prophet.

Kindest Regards, Mindfreak!

What leads you to believe a prophet is anything but a man? A man who merely happens to be "awake?"

I thought prophets were supposed to have some sort of direct communication to god, im pretty ignorant on this one so if it's different please tell me. But if im correct, then Buddha, not asserting the idea of god, could not be a prophet.
Ah! You didn't say this at first. I suppose one way to look at it is that Buddha was "awake" to a mildly different reality. Greater or lesser neither of us is suited to answer, at least not beyond ourselves.

Although the words we use aren't really the important part, it's their meaning. If a prophet can exist without god than yes you could say he was a prophet.
Words are tricky little things. A chance comment from one can spark a serious reaction in another. Communication is always difficult at best, yet those of us who are not capable of telepathic communication are left with little else to work with. I hadn't ever really considered the matter, but I would suppose one could equate the Buddha with a prophet, at least for Buddhism. Unless one wanted to nitpick the finer nuances...then nothing is as it seems. :D

Back