Evils which thwart Man

Anyone can put together an argument to sound reasonable but the fact is that if the god in the bible did not commit the horrible acts that it says he did, and did not appear so evil at times, I probably wouldnt question it either. But when it tells of him commiting violence and encouraging violence, and behaving like a tyrant, I cant help but question it.

Questions are healthy, but what if you have a problem with the answers? If you sanctified a people for yourself and they snubbed their nose at you (that is what these "tyrannical" acts you speak of were about and btw they really were not "tyrannical", once you look at the big picture), but you really loved and took care of them, just not in the way they were looking for, would you be a tyrant? More like tough love.

to me that answer seems like someone just trying to justify these acts so they do not lose their idea of a perfect god. From what Ive read I dont see any reason to believe this god is ultimate, supreme, perfect. I see an imperfect, arrogant, jealous being trying to make gullible people believe that he is more than what he really is.

Kindest Regards, Mindfreak!

Thank you for your response.
Actually it was never said that they were meant to live forever. Just the opposite actually because afterwards god said "now, lest he put forth his hand and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live forever."
Clearly stating that they would not otherwise live forever.
I think you will find that takes place after the fact. The Tree of Life was freely eaten of prior to that.

As for god being evil and malevolent, there are many examples of god killing and ordering others to kill. And endorsing slavery and rape. Anyone who is familiar with the bible knows this,
I'm not sure which "anyones" you are getting your information from...but their interpretations are questionable at best. G-d did not "endorse" rape, He ordered judgment passed on rapists. I am not sure quite how to address the issue of slavery, certainly there are those in recent history (a couple of hundred years ago) that did interpret slavery as G-dly and ordained, but it was as much a secular sign of the times as well. Further, G-d's chosen people were bound in slavery for around 400 years as I recall. I already addressed the "G-d killing" stuff, I see no need to repeat.

Im not that familiar I will admit but even I have read passages that support this. And yes there are many passages with moral lessons, which is great, and while I totally agree with anything encouraging morality, its not that that I question it's this blind faith in "god", being this great being when he clearly exhibits some pretty bad qualities.
OK, ignorance is not a bad thing, it can be corrected. I noticed another thread of yours, if I may be allowed to quote:
I agree that alot of people nowadays distort buddhism and disregard things the Buddha taught, according to their own personal beliefs. I've met buddhists who don't believe in psychic powers, but the Buddha displayed them and talked about them very often. He did say that they are not the point of the spiritual life but very real none the less. And there are many examples of this, people distorting buddhism according to their own beliefs, seperate from buddhism.
I admit to a great deal of ignorance towards the Buddhist faith, so in that sense we are equal. However, this comment struck me. If one were to replace the word Buddha with Christ and Buddhist with Christian, it would still ring true. ;)

BTW I am Buddhist.
Cool! So is my wife.

Do you believe that there was an actual tree that they ate from?
A great deal of Genesis is metaphor and allegory, but the trouble is we don't quite know how much. My own personal guess is that there was a sanctuary, a Garden of Eden, wherein the perfect man Ha-Adam and his helpmate Eve were created. The trees I suspect to be allegory, as I personally feel the eating of the Tree of Knowledge opened their minds into what we call rational thought. It is by our reasoning that we tend to aspire to become "as the gods."

Because symbolicly, eating from the tree of knowledge and becoming as a god to me is very much like the purpose of meditation which is to develop and train the mind to obtain knowledge of reality that cannot be comprehended by the normally limited human mind. The mind is a very powerful thing when it is properly developed and a man with a highly developed mind is capable of amazing abilities and great knowledge and wisdom. You might say "godlike". And I see no problem with that which is why I question the motives of this "god" who said it was forbidden.
Therein we will simply have to disagree. I do not equate myself in any manner with G-d. There are those who aspire in some form or other to godhood. But notice the subtle but deliberate difference in my wording. G-d is the Almighty creator of everything, including Buddha in my understanding. With the lower case "god," is more the realm of which you speak. Perhaps a semantic difference until now unnoticed, and one I hope causes no offense. But while I can understand (though not necessarily agree with) aspiring to a superhuman greatness that can be equated with godhood, it is simply not possible to be anything at all like He who IS all.

It cannot be done...sorry.

I think there is a great deal of confusion among many, Christians included, that Genesis was an actual historical event. We know by hard evidence that can be held in our hands that humanity goes back a very long way, long before the best philosophical guesses as to when Ha-Adam was created. A great deal of any religious tradition must be accepted with certain caveats. Religious mythos are primarily about extending a morality system to a people. All else is merely icing on the cake. I believe G-d exists because of personal experiences. I am Christian primarily because it is how I was raised, as well as because I find significant truth in the lessons taught.

Historical veracity, on the other hand, is at times questionable, and ultimately irrelevant. I might add, what little I have seen of Buddhist mythos seems much the same in this regard. The fundamental teachings of both are what matters...the balance merely drives the points home.

So tell me your theology?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindFreak666
BTW I am Buddhist.

That answers that question. Missed it, sorry.

So how long have you been on this path. I have traveled it and there is much to learn. Many quite interesting and things that you feel are life altering. What brought you to it?

I've been a buddhist for probably 5 years and although I practiced strictly for much of that time I do go through long periods where I am far from an ideal buddhist, not that I no longer believe in the Buddhas teachings I just didnt follow them well, ie drinking, not practicing meditation etc. Basically letting my mind lead me around rather than keep it in check.
What brought me to it was experiences as a child, I used to get strange insightful moments where I felt like I was looking at my true self, which was different from who i pretend to be in my normal life, like we all do. Kind of like seeing my mind with my mind. Turning it back on itself rather than follow it. And our reality appeared to me to be an illusion, knowing nothing of buddhism at the time because I was only about 9 or 10. But when I just by chance read some stuff on Buddhism when I was about 18 or so, so much of it matched alot of the views I alrady had. I didnt have a religious upbringing at all, my family was far, far from religious.

I had similar experiences. I really didn't understand them, and I too found so much to absorb. My spiritual life has led me to explore much.

I had pretty much convinced myself that there was no truth. I am very glad I was wrong.:)

Quahom, you make sense but you are speculating. You dont know why he lied you are just guessing that it was for our own good.
You have blind faith which is why you don't question it. Anyone can put together an argument to sound reasonable but the fact is that if the god in the bible did not commit the horrible acts that it says he did, and did not appear so evil at times, I probably wouldnt question it either. But when it tells of him commiting violence and encouraging violence, and behaving like a tyrant, I cant help but question it.

Perhaps because this is a christian board, I am the only one without blind faith, who is willing to question it. But if you were to question it, than you would have to question your god, and forgive me if I sound rude, but Christians I find are the most defensive people when it comes to questioning their religion.

Well thank you.

I don't think God has ever lied. He can't, by His very nature. He gives us a command not to lie, how hypocritical He would be to lie Himself.

I make no appology for my faith. Indeed it is more an innate knowledge to me, rather than a "belief". There is nothing "blind" about it, since the proof of a supreme creator is everywhere.

That sounds like a polite way of calling some one a "spin doctor".

We're talking about God here, not some human elected king gone amuck. He makes the rules. Break them and He is liable to get upset.

I'm reminded of Peter being told by Jesus that he will be martyred for his faith, convictions and message. Peter turns around as asks Jesus "Well, what about John?" Jesus replied, "What's it to you Peter? If John lives to see the second coming that is no concern of yours."

In other words, it wasn't Peter's place to question the actions and thoughts of God, particularly about other people.

Paul, kept asking God to "take the thorn from his side". God's answer was "My grace is enough for you Paul." Not only did He tell Paul "no", but He gave Paul a specific reason as to why.

Questioning God is not a problem. Accusing Him is. Telling Him He has no right to do what He does, is ludicrous if one thinks about it.

Maybe Christians are defensive of their faith, because they know that have a good thing going, and they truly love and are protective of their creator and savior...

v/r

Q

I see no proof of a supreme creator
That's always the crux of the bisquit....until you see proof of the supreme creator you can't see proof of a supreme creator anywhere...and when you do see proof of a supreme creator you can't not see the proof everywhere.

And if you are looking for scientific proof...history is fun...go back thru time and see what was proven as fact that has now fell away...to the current proofs and facts which in 500 years will be looked back on as a joke.

what makes your heart beat? how is it that in winter plants die, but in spring they are resurrected? how is it we get cut, but we heal? ever thought about wind for instance? how we can feel it but can't see it? how it seems that they make the trees move? how it is possible that when you look to the heavens and you want to fly to go there because the heavens are just so beautiful? why does one get the feeling to do that? or have you ever asked yourself when you look at a woman, why is she so graceful but so beautiful and it just seems like she (my wife) was given just to me, for me? the proof is everywhere, no?

I agree that a lot of people nowadays distort Christianity and disregard things Jesus taught, according to their own personal beliefs. I've met people who don't believe in psychic (spiritual) powers, but Jesus displayed them and talked about them very often. Jesus did show by example that they are not the point of the spiritual life but very real none the less. And there are many examples of this, people distorting Christianity according to their own beliefs, separate from what Jesus taught. ;) :D

Elsewhere you mentioned Buddha communed with gods, yet you find it difficult to fathom a source, a wellspring, from which all of reality comes from, Buddha and gods included? You have as much evidence for "spiritual life" as you do for G-d, yet you hold to one and deny the other?

I do not wish to convert your thinking, I merely find it paradoxical. ;)

The Buddha might not agree as this is the essence of his teachings based on the Pali Canon recognized by Buddhist scholars as the oldest record of what the Buddha actually taught:

Absolute changeless permanent reality, the unconditioned, itself alone is,

all else has always been, is, and always will be just a state of make-believe fiction,

a state of delusion worn like a costume with multiple fabricated viewpoints,

with each self-sustaining itself in a self-perpetuated state of self-ignorance,

until each decides to come to closure through self-enlightenment and self-awakening

Could be that the Buddha equated Reality, the Unconditioned with God but would not use that word because its definition among the masses was too limited. It seems to me that God is self-evident by your very 'being' and requires no proof. But perhaps that may not be obvious to you.​

Love and Peace,

JM​

I never denied belief in any source, or the absolute, or unconditioned. Buddha said how could there be freedom from all this if there wasn't something else.
But God in the sense of a being and a creator has nothing to do with that which is un-made, un-born, un-conditioned, The absolute.
The Buddha refuted the idea of a supreme creator many times, saying that it was a form of wrong view, born of ignorance. Not that I take this on faith but the sutta I am refering to has a very lengthy discussion on why it is a flawed view point.
The fact that there is much much more to our reality than just our physical existence and mundane lives does not necessarily prove that there is some original creator, some supreme being. We don't give ourselves enough credit and we put our power into the hands of some unknown being.
I don't think we need to explain away all the complexity and all the mystery with thoughts of creators and beginnings because these are concepts we created because of our linear existence, but outside of the physical world, time is meaningless.

I never denied belief in any source, or the absolute, or unconditioned. Buddha said how could there be freedom from all this if there wasn't something else.
But God in the sense of a being and a creator has nothing to do with that which is un-made, un-born, un-conditioned, The absolute.
The Buddha refuted the idea of a supreme creator many times, saying that it was a form of wrong view, born of ignorance. Not that I take this on faith but the sutta I am refering to has a very lengthy discussion on why it is a flawed view point.
The fact that there is much much more to our reality than just our physical existence and mundane lives does not necessarily prove that there is some original creator, some supreme being. We don't give ourselves enough credit and we put our power into the hands of some unknown being.
I don't think we need to explain away all the complexity and all the mystery with thoughts of creators and beginnings because these are concepts we created because of our linear existence, but outside of the physical world, time is meaningless.

I believe this to be true. Well said :)

what makes your heart beat? how is it that in winter plants die, but in spring they are resurrected? how is it we get cut, but we heal? ever thought about wind for instance? how we can feel it but can't see it? how it seems that they make the trees move? how it is possible that when you look to the heavens and you want to fly to go there because the heavens are just so beautiful? why does one get the feeling to do that? or have you ever asked yourself when you look at a woman, why is she so graceful but so beautiful and it just seems like she (my wife) was given just to me, for me? the proof is everywhere, no?

None of these things are proof of anything other than your own wonder and amazement and appreciation of the universe around you. Just because it seems too beautifully fine tuned to be all chance does not prove a creator. For that belief you need faith in the, as yet, unproveable. Faith is not proof.

TE

Thank you for your thoughtful response.

I agree with you in the sense of G-d as an anthropomorphic being, but to me the Absolute is equitable with the Creator, the Source, the Wellspring. There is always the possibility I am mistaken, perhaps you are correct. I doubt we will ever now with certainty in this existence. All either of us has is faith and hope.

Is not a Sutta a wisdom teaching? While it may well appeal to logic, it is there to teach a moral lesson, no? Even appeals to logic must be taken with some degree of faith. Because you believe it works, it works for you. Because I believe the wisdom teachings of a different teacher, and have faith and believe they work, they do work for me.

Ah! Would it ease your mind any to know that Christianity also teaches self-responsibility and self-reliance. Of course, for the Christian, there is also prayerful appeal to G-d through Jesus for guidance when the going gets a bit tough. But it is we who must do.

I don't think we need to explain anything. But a lot of us have an unexplained internal compulsion to do so. Overwhelmingly so, dating far back into prehistory. I can choose to deny my chosen religious paradigm, I can choose to deny all religious paradigms. In my own case, it would leave a gaping hole in my psyche.

I have come a great distance in my spiritual travels since I first began in earnest. Many of my greatest leaps have been taken with great fear and trepidation, yet the one I know as the Holy Spirit has comforted and supported me all along my journey. My views are not shared by many Christians, probably not by most. That too is OK, there is room enough in my heart and understanding for them as well. I realize the grains of truth within what you have to say, but they are grains, not mountains. I realize a great deal of my path is fraught with controversy and superstition, I question these matters continually. I also see the great value in my path, and that sometimes "truth" is not necessarily fact, that sometimes wisdom is not so much in reality as perceived but reality as desired. We often make our destinies, we become what we believe. In the end, Buddhist, Christian or otherwise, everything is taken on faith and holding onto hope. I have the greatest faith that in the end it will all sort itself out. Whether heaven or nibbana is unimportant, what is important is doing what we must to arrive.

Back