Online Gaming

I like to go back to older MMORPGs (online worlds) when they have died down abit. Especially when the servers have been replaced by hundreds of player-run free servers. Ultima Online is a good example. I really enjoy the player run servers. New maps, new quests, much less crowded. you can find everything from total chaos, PvP, easy gain; to total order, PvE, slow gains.

I found one I particularly liked. Adult run (husband and wife team), the only PvP is arenas, strictly policed, enough people on at a time to get up a party to do larger monsters but few enough that building a house in the wilderness is actually in the wilderness (no other houses around).

For those into WoW have you ever searched YouTube for it? There are some very entertaining videos using WoW. Bands playing music, comedy, parodies, WoW vs other online games in mock combat, etc.

Gandalf Parker
--
more More MORE MMORPG!
(now available on tshirts and mugs at my shop)
Odd Thotz : CafePress.com

I recently read in New Scientist that the big players in online gaming such as WOW, RS and the like are in talks together to make characters inter-usable. So I would be able to take my RS character and use it in WOW. In other news, RS is soon going to launch a graphical update that they say breaks new ground for Java based games. They are also introducing with it things like daylight effects so shadows will gradually get longer as the RS 'day' progresses. I think these updates will make it as graphically appealing as any of the CD rom supported games.

I recently read in New Scientist that the big players in online gaming such as WOW, RS and the like are in talks together to make characters inter-usable. So I would be able to take my RS character and use it in WOW. In other news, RS is soon going to launch a graphical update that they say breaks new ground for Java based games. They are also introducing with it things like daylight effects so shadows will gradually get longer as the RS 'day' progresses. I think these updates will make it as graphically appealing as any of the CD rom supported games.

If that genre appeals to such a large range, I dunno if it will.

The other thing is, if you haven't got an amazing connection.. The more and more graphics and details they put into them. The more lag you gonna get. :O

But stuff like that isn't going to drop any jaws... Specially when you have example... GTA IV on multiplayer... Weather effects is breaking ground? lol. Well.... All the best.

If that genre appeals to such a large range, I dunno if it will.

The other thing is, if you haven't got an amazing connection.. The more and more graphics and details they put into them. The more lag you gonna get. :O

But stuff like that isn't going to drop any jaws... Specially when you have example... GTA IV on multiplayer... Weather effects is breaking ground? lol. Well.... All the best.

It is for a java based game of that genre. And the graphical update is optional so if you are on dial up with and ancient computer then you can still play. And with over 2 million players it may not be the biggest or bestest but its still thriving.

Anyone seriously into multi-player uses an x-box anyhow, which I am currently contemplating buying. Though I'm not sure I have the time to get into new games, they sink hours like teardrops in the ocean. Thing I like about RS is it is complete "switch off" time Most of other online games are pretty demanding to play in terms of concentration. RS I can be writing posts here and playing, working and playing, cleaning or cooking - and playing. That suits me ;-)

It is insane isn't it? Games devour time... I being biased to Xbox lol would say it is an excellent choice to get one lol :D

The system used for multi-player and downloading and so on is called LIVE, and it can vary on price but the average is around £34.00 a year.... That is sweet deal, to begin with it may not get used as much but you know how it is... Game collections tower high above everything else and you'll soon be living on it, I think the cool part is once you have completed all the missions/secrets/stages/levels of a game, it maybe one of those games that isn't really re-playable.... But multi-player makes it fresh and new....

Oh and tips.... If you are gonna get an xbox... I would suggest getting the 360 ELITE (the black console) Not because it is full HD... But yeah that is one of the bright sides, but the larger hard drive and also reliability.... Oh and station it Vertical... NOT horizontal...

Ok thats all from xbox tip corner lol...

-EDIT-
OH! Also wireless controllers man! Recent hot weather we been having? Get to sit out in my back yard have a smoke, get some rays... Enjoy the air and smell of the garden flowers, while poppin mofo's on GTA IV :)

The best weather effects I've seen in any game are in Second Life now that they've incorporated Windlight ( YouTube - Windlight - Portucalis - Second Life ), unfortunately the in-world 3d modeling tools are awful and the imported sculpt maps are too low rez/ sculpted prims are not given priority over other prims making the rest of SL frequently pale in comparison. I hope they incorporate Nimble ( YouTube - Nimble 3D Cloud System preview ) eventually.

Lately I've been playing more civ iv and I'm about to revive the spore thread because the creature editor comes out on the 15th. Yay. I've got the pay version pre-ordered.

Oh yeah and I played through all of the HL2 games and Portal. Portal was incredible. I didn't like HL2: ep 1 that much but I liked HL2 and HL2: ep 2.

I've started designing maps for combat:si. One of the devs is setting up my maps in a rezzer in the official combat:si combat sim. I'm going to be working with someone else to host team tournaments that take place on the maps.

-- Dauer

edit: Tao, there's a pretty active pc gaming community too. If you look at for example CoD 4, CS:S, TF2, WoW there's a lot of activity. Heck, there are some free HL2 mods that only require Source to run which have large communities of their own.

Yeah one thing they did with Spore, graphics-wise, is they made the characters more "cute" to appeal to a larger audience but I don't think that will effect gameplay too much. Based on the scope of the game I think it's unlikely they dumbed it down, just tried to make the interface more intuitive.

I would have liked to see more true evolution rather than earning parts but just the same I think it will be pretty good. I think the amount of content creation they're allowing will appeal to a lot of people without becoming a necessity for those who're more interested in just getting into the game.

Yeah one thing they did with Spore, graphics-wise, is they made the characters more "cute" to appeal to a larger audience but I don't think that will effect gameplay too much.

Fickle place is the game world... I got split feelings on it now, but without images I was like "ZOMGZ! I WANTS TEH SPORZEZ!" Now I'm like... "That will be a good filler while I'm waiting for Sims 3." How many other people will have that thought or simular? So I am not sure it will effect the gameplay, maybe slightly the sales rate, but I am sure it will effect it becoming a classic......(roll on Spores 2? ;))

I would have liked to see more true evolution rather than earning parts but just the same I think it will be pretty good. I think the amount of content creation they're allowing will appeal to a lot of people without becoming a necessity for those who're more interested in just getting into the game.

With you on that part. Earning should be devlope....

I think it's more likely they'll release a string of expansions than a spore 2 based on what they're releasing and how they've handled The Sims. There are some things that won't be in this that I think a lot of people will want like creatures with true flight, ocean-dwelling creatures. As far as I know all the textures draw from a library so they'll be able to add to that, add more creature parts, more space missions and so on.

I think the effect of the game design will be both positive and negative. On the one hand they'll drive away some gamers. On the other hand they'll bring in those who don't game as heavily. In the end I'm guessing some of those gamers who're turned off will end up purchasing it anyway based on the reports of friends, reviews. But based on conversations I've had with some people about TF2, there will be those gamers who won't touch it at all because of the game design.

-- Dauer

I recently ordered a copy of Age of Conan. I may wait a month or two to start playing so more of the bugs get smoothed out but I haven't decided. I think I will play as a conqueror first. They seem fun.

I've been playing forumwarz. I'm not providing a link because it is NSFW and will offend some folks. It's a free browser-based game that's based on internet culture.

I tried rappelz with some friends and quickly abandoned it. I picked up Civ IV a while back too and have been playing that some.

I'm currently "killing time" with Mabinogi (game - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) (I've included the Wikipedia article about it instead of the actual site because I've found it rather addicting.) My offline friends introduced it to me (Tyler is also playing with the Spore Creature Creator which he downloaded.)

Tyler plays a few different games while he has time on his hands (he has to do something while America's working on her PhDs) and he introduces me to the ones he feels I'd be interested in.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

i was in the beta for Age of Conan, fantastic effort in the MMORPG category.

i've not gotten the full copy yet... i'm more keen in beta testing games than playing them, it would seem. i'll probably pick it up here in the next few months but economics are slim currently.

i've found the World of Kung Fu which is a browser game as well, free to play and pretty fun.. the interface is a bit clunky and it's still pretty new.. think it's been out in English for only a few months.

i'm going to log off and play Civ 4 with the expansion to celebrate my birthday! cya when i've conquered the world ;)

metta,

~vajra

Vaj,

Happy birthday!

I was in CB2 for WoKF. It was fun but then it was still possible to gank in sulin garden and stone forest. The community was mostly children and the grind got pretty bad even when grouped. Since then they've upped the exp rates. I did like the classes in that game. The fist class was a lot of fun. WoKF helped me to realize that f2p are bad for me. I end up spending more than I would on a p2p. AoC is the first p2p mmorpg that I'm trying. The combat system along with the way the story line is developed and the variety on the spec trees looks fun. A friend of mine who used to work for funcom said it's likely the level cap will get pretty high and I'm hoping that will mean a lot more content.

-- Dauer

I'm bringing this thread back from the dead.

Lately I've been playing:

Toribash -- turn-based ragdoll physics fighting game. I play it on and off when I have a few spare minutes.

Battlefield Heroes -- f2p 2nd person shooter, it's pretty good, probably won't be playing much longer. I have a few friends who're playing it but from what I've heard, at some point in the lvling process the cost catches up and paying regularly is a must.

Age of Chivalry -- a full-conversion mod for the source engine set in medieval timez. You get to go around as a knight with a sword and stuff, very different from a lot of other games and good melee, FPSish. I just picked it up again since they've done an update.

Champions Online -- not playing it yet but I got into the semi-open beta which starts August 1st. I'm looking forward to testing it out. Already have it pre-ordered and expect to purchase it. If it shows promise at launch but isn't quite there I'll probably sweat it out. I like the idea of not being limited to a particular tree in developing my character and the way the abilities can combine, also the fast-paced combat and active blocking. Oh and the nemesis system. Players create their own nemesis. And there are interactive environments. With super strength built up a bit it's possible to pick up and hurl tanks/buses etc.

Just to keep some continuity with where the thread was, Age of Conan was terrible out of Tortage. The combat system wasn't an improvement. I've heard it's changed a lot but it's unlikely I'll re-sub.

Champions?! the Superhero RPG? awesome! link me to the beta!

been spending some time playing Magic the Gathering:Online as it's really difficult to find players that live near me, are older than 16 and have free time when i do.

on a semi related note... i'm eager to implement DirectX 10 on my PC once Windows 7 has it's SP release so i can finally play Shadowrun! only directx 10 and no patch for XP users... i mean.. seriously.

lost one machine in the recent move, though, so i've had to part together a workable PC as such i've only got factory speakers... my 5 piece Dobly 7.0 surround sound system was also ganked!

I just found a new browser game called EmpireCraft which is a combo game rather like Civ Online and Age of Empires.

metta,

~v

Vaj,

the game's entering OB tomorrow. Technically it's not quite an OB. I've played it a bit and so far like it more than CoX. There's a lot more customization available, both aesthetic and functional. You could potentially build a character with abilities from every single tree, plus you have a lot more control over your stats. It's not as polished as CoX at this point. I like that it's designed to work with the xbox controller. The combat system is very fast-paced. One of the things I like is that an ability could function in multiple ways depending on how it's applied, is tapping, clicking or holding the button for the attack. There's an active block that's actually useful. Targeting needs some work and the PvP is near impossible for melee builds.

Champions Online Official Site

OB info: Open Beta | Champions Online Official Site

If you decide to check it out, my account is Rothschild.

Back