Belief and Mental Health

ardenz,

I did start a thread once quite a while ago, I think on the relationship between the prophets and mental health or something like that.

I think it's very true we need to face it as a real problem, and own it. When I was getting psychiatric treatment I would tend to view bipolar disorder as something foreign. When I was very little and I had difficulties I'd often say "It's not me." because I felt so powerless and as part of my search for effective treatment was exorcised by a shaman. (Didn't really help.)

My practice tends to focus more on mindfulness exercises also. I'm a big fan of Thich Nhat Hanh. But one of the things I find very interesting is that during a time when I was doing mostly visualizations on the Tetragrammaton and not much mindfulness at all but dedicating an hour a day to meditation and an hour to prayer, when I got more manic I was able to recover much faster and on a couple occasions dissipate irrational thinking and the building feelings that stimulated it by saying once to myself inside my head, "No." It felt almost like in The Matrix where Neo is able to break through the programming. Everything slowed and a feather's touch stopped the freight train in motion and sent it away.

R. David Cooper whose path has taken him into Ultra-Orthodoxy, Buddhism and Sufism before settling down is a bit of an unconventional vipasana meditator in that he suggests the most important thing is that one is doing the practice. He told a story during a silent retreat of how, sleeping on stone slabs at a Buddhist retreat, while everyone else was struggling to accclimate and adjust, he was able to visualize himself embraced in G!d's arms and get to sleep more easily. My sense of things is really that any dedicated and focused practice is good practice. This review of meditation's effects does suggest that some types work better for developing certain skills than others:

IONS: The Physical and Psychological Effects of Meditation - A Review of Contemporary Research

I think the primary difference was between meditations that focus on ground and meditations that focus on figure but it's been quite a while since I read it.

I think what you say about being wary of highs is important not just for those of us who are bipolar but for spiritual seekers in general who might become strongly wedded to an experience. I've also read some things, relating to bipolar disorder, that the highs can for some people become like an addiction. A recovering alcoholic once related to me at a time I was doing very poorly in the language of alcohol recovery and 12-stepping.

mw,

As for the omega3, I am a great believer in 'body heal thyself' - otherwise known as the placebo effect, I believe. If I believe it is working does it then work? If I believe a medication doesn't work, does it therefore cease to function?

I think it's very true. Course I had complete faith in the psychiatrists and the meds they were giving me and it still didn't do much good so I think that it can only be taken so far. A friend of my mother's passed away about a year ago to cancer despite her strong belief she could heal in part because, as part of her religion, she refused medical treatment.

There was an episode of a show we have in the states on pbs with Alan Alda about scientific frontiers. He was answering a grab bag of questions this time around. One of the things that it touched upon was a double-blind study being done at a university on the effects of cold remedies and beliefs about their efficacy. What he found is that the herbal stuff, even things like vitamin C, weren't really effective at all in stopping a cold. Those who got the treatment and those who got placebo caught colds with no noticeable difference in occurance. The only thing that strongly effected occurance and severity of symptoms was whether or not an individual believed s/he was getting the real treatment.

Dauer

yes, dairy products contain a substance called tryptophan, (sp?) which is a naturally occuring substance a bit like prozac- makes u feel all warm n contented after eating...

Aside from the issue of the medical profession annexing mental health, am I being too sensitive on the issue of calling a person e.g. a schizophrenic? If I have a broken leg I would like to think that people don't talk about me as a broken leg. So if schizophrenia does exist should not it be "a person with schizophrenia" in the same way as you'd say "a person with a broken leg"?
Calling someone "a depressive" reduces them to their "illness" it seems to me.

s.

Now, if I really am a schizophrenic and have such a poor prognosis, why hasn't it all gone wrong yet? How come I havent ended up in the hospital, dosed up to the eyeballs..? How come I'm not in jail? could it be because I'm not actually a schizophrenic at all?
surely they didn't get it wrong..?

Hi Francis,

Thanks for laying all this out in public. Regarding the above, perhaps you are already familiar with the "famous" Rosenhan experiment? If not, you can find a brief resume of it here:

Rosenhan experiment - Psychology Wiki - a Wikia wiki

s.

... the next thing I know my GP is telling me I have schizophrenia

OK let's forget about psychiatrists for a minute...are GPs competent to make this kind of diagnosis?:eek:
She's used the DSM then has she?:eek:

s.

I think it will be interesting to see if people now communicate differently now we loonies have outed ourselves.

Show me an adult with no “irrational” fears, no anxieties, no neuroses, no phobias, no “delusions”, no unaccountable mood swings and no “irrational” beliefs and I’ll show you a liar (or at least someone with an appalling lack of self-awareness!:p).

s.

Snoopy, from your link about the Rosenhan experiment:

During their stay, hospital notes indicated that staff interpreted much of the pseudopatient's behaviour in terms of mental illness. For example, the note-taking of one individual was listed as "writing behaviour" and considered pathological.

lolol.

I don't think it's wrong to refer to someone as schyzophrenic. It's like saying that another person is diabetic. But it might be more productive to say that the individual has a current diagnosis of schyzophrenia. I've known quite a few people whose diagnosis has changed over the years. Mine hasn't remained quite constant either. When a person is labeled as being schyzophrenic that makes it more concrete.

Dauer

Many addicts ( and in some ways we are all addicts) seem to harbor the idea of an exterior locus of control. In moving away from an unhealthy cognitive framework toward a healthy one, we transplant the idea of being controlled by forces outside ourselves to that of being guided by a higher power. While under the protection and guidance of this power we begin to heal, supposedly now to assume responsibility for our life conditions, realizing it is our own state of consciousness that attracts and repels experiences, or at least, perhaps, gives us our one freedom, that which is able to choose how we shall respond to external circumstances within which we find ourselves.

Bingo bingo bingo.

I’d relate this, if I may be so bold, to our beliefs more generally. I’m personally not sure about this higher power but the movement from believing oneself to be at the mercy of an external agency to the assumption of responsibility for our lives is surely the key to liberation from the cravings we all have.

s.

After reading through this thread I wanted to tell my moms story. She was diagnosed as bi-polar but I can remember the symptoms of it since my father passed away when I was 12 and she started drinking and popping sleeping pills every night. My Mom has always been very spiritual.. my whole life. She has had visions and I believe has the gift of prophecy. Strange huh. Some of the stuff she says blows my mind. Well when she was diagnosed it was because she up and quit her very good job and no way to pay her house or car payments. She used her retirement money to experiment with drugs with her 12 year younger boyfriend who introduced them to her. She was having paranoia and delusions that she saw demons at her work place. She was doing "Crank" at the time.

The meds the Drs put her on were evil.. they made her like this little kid who couldnt do anything.. she couldnt remember anything.. her short term memory was completely gone let alone her long term memory. It was terrifying for me to see her like that. She would just sit there and cry for days on end when she wasnt sleeping.

I finally one day just sat there and talked to her without judgement because I had been oh so judgemental.. let me tell you. All 3 of us kids had washed our hands of her.. We thought it would have been a relief if she would just die.. Please understand that we were all young and had no idea what was going on with her or what to do.. It shames me very deeply.

That day I spoke with her I credit to God .. I had recently renewed my faith with Jesus after having been fallen away since the death of my father.. I just sat and listened and I asked her to tell me a story, any story from her childhood. I used to LOVE her amazing stories, she couldnt remember any of them... I had the idea that she was trapped inside her own thoughts.. like she couldnt control her thoughts and her emotions she couldnt get a grip on them.. I asked her if we could pray and she said yes please.. and we prayed. Within minutes after that prayer she proceeded to tell me a story.. one that I hadnt heard since I was very young. Her voice was clear and strong and not thin and small.. I believe she was set free that day.

She quit taking her meds and she does it now when she is scared that she is sick but for the most part shes awesome. She still gets depressed and might drink a little or call me and cry but I thank God every day for her mental health.

They say its genetic.. Ive had my bouts of depression but I think they are normal day to day stress related depressions. I dont believe they are clinical.. my mom thinks they are.

Thanks for sharing everyone. Thanks for letting me share.

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met the man who had no feet.

I had (have) two parents who loved me and were always there and I still didn't appreciate them sometimes.

Now they're getting old and I'm making sure they know that I love them while they can still feel and hear it.

Thanks FS for sharing.

It is so poignant to see so many personal stories of how suffering has been met in ways that provide meaning and a more positive direction. No shame in any of it, but rather a celebration of the strength of the human spirit (and perhaps then some). While a spiritual path can of course start from a more joyful point, it is so common for it to begin or at least deepen in the face of suffering. Gautama was right, of course, all beings are prone to suffering of various sorts-goes with the condition of being born. It also seems that the primary means of transforming suffering involves "relativizing" the conditioned self-either ala' Eastern means of seeing through the conditioned self (moksha, enlightenment) or Western monotheistic means of sacrificing that conditioned self to the Divine known by many names. In reality, as these personal stories show, it appears that realizing some decent degree of spiritual awareness will not permanently remove suffering, (though it might lessen). Rather, it will put it and ourselves into a perspective larger than ourselves which makes all the difference. For any of us, we literally are not just our suffering. Bless you all, earl

hi everyone,
sorry to interrupt but i came across this thread and found it interesting because of the fact that faith in God can exist despite of mental flaws. anyways, i got to thinking that perhaps i have bi-polar and don't even know it? is that possible? my wife tells me so but i don't notice. i have a very bad temper and always shout alot, especially when i get angry. i always feel the need to want to beat someone's face in for no apparent reason. i am seldom happy, mostly depressed. when i laugh, everyone looks at me funny. perhaps because i laugh too loud? well, question being, is it possible to have a mental problem and not know it? i ask because, here in south texas alot of the hispanics have tempers and are very honest and aren't inhibited at all about their opinions. making it seem like bi-polar is normal? anyways, hope to hear from someone soon. thanks and God bless.

Correct me if I am wrong please but I was under the impression that bi-polar is like extremes My mom could go from an extremely good mood to an extremely bad mood for no really good reason.

I do not think tempers and yelling are so much symptoms.

but i mean, how can you tell? i mean, must someone be arrested or actually physically hurt someone before he or she is considered to have a mental illness?

hi everyone,
sorry to interrupt but i came across this thread and found it interesting because of the fact that faith in God can exist despite of mental flaws. anyways, i got to thinking that perhaps i have bi-polar and don't even know it? is that possible?

Hi Leo,

I do not want to give you unqualified advice, but whatever you think or feel may be a problem, it is good that you have noticed it and I think it is important to listen to what loved ones have to say.

I am glad that my husband is able to notice when I am in a bad state. And no, it doesn't have to be about yelling and tempers.

Some others here may be able to tell you more.

sorry to interrupt but i came across this thread and found it interesting because of the fact that faith in God can exist despite of mental flaws.

I think one of the things that holds a lot of people back is seeing something that is different about them as a flaw instead of a gift and something that makes them special and unique.

I think one of the things that holds a lot of people back is seeing something that is different about them as a flaw instead of a gift and something that makes them special and unique.
that is where you and i differ, my friend, i am a very flawed individual. i am not special nor unique. i am glad you have a high self esteem for yourself, something i sorely lack.

yes, dairy products contain a substance called tryptophan, (sp?) which is a naturally occuring substance a bit like prozac- makes u feel all warm n contented after eating...

Hi Francis

I find cream cakes and chocolate have that effect for me - reminds me I must go on a diet soon. :D

Salaam

Back