rabbinic interpretation and jewish law is neither "worship" nor "shirk"

as salaam aleykum wr wb Abdullah

Please try to see what you are doing. Our Beloved Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) taught us to live among the people of the book with patience and tolerence. Allah (swt) Himself teaches us that He is the only judge of all of mankind.

Do not be arrogant, it does not become a Muslim to behave in this way. I admire your desire to follow our faith and may Allah (swt) bless you for your intention but please, please see that we must follow all of the Quran, not just the pieces that make us feel superior.

May Allah (swt) guide your heart from hatred.

Salaam

May Allah (swt) guide your heart from hatred.

Salaam

I am merely answering questions sis with the correct Islamic views, whcih are the views of maintstream Islam, and I have provided evidence from the Quran and Sunnah to back up my claims; so how can that be hatred? :confused:

Some of my posts may have been a bit straight to the point, but that was in response to misunderstandings, or responses to posts that needed a more clear and elaborate explanation.

Peace. :)

ps: Dawah, whcih is the underlying core intention of my posts, is the utmost respect and love one can show towards a person, for it is only out of these feelings and attitude, will one want the best [salvation] for another, so in reality sis, my posts are full of love and respect towards who'm ever I reply to, and to whatever group of people I adress.

I am merely answering questions sis with the correct Islamic views, whcih are the views of maintstream Islam, and I have provided evidence from the Quran and Sunnah to back up my claims; so how can that be hatred? :confused:

And yet you make such a fundamental error as the one I mentioned earlier, regarding Prophets (pbut) and sin, which I notice you ignored.

Some of my posts may have been a bit straight to the point, but that was in response to misunderstandings, or responses to posts that needed a more clear and elaborate explanation.

Some of your posts are not straight to the point Abdullah, they are simply insulting. To tell a sister she is mentally ill or has the iq of a 5 year old, because she does not agree with your interpretation, is not straight to the point it is simply insulting and childish. To tell a Jew or Christian what their religion says or what they believe, is not straight to the point it is simply arrogance.

so in reality sis, my posts are full of love and respect towards who'm ever I reply to, and to whatever group of people I adress.

In reality Abdullah your posts can only be full of love and respect if they are perceived that way by the person you are talking to. If people are insulted by your posts, which clearly they are at times, then perhaps it is time you reconsider your method for making dawah. There is no point earning a good deed if you immediately cancel it out with a bad deeds (and I would respectfully suggest that calling Allah a liar is a SIN).

I seriously urge to look at the way you speak to people. You do not have to like me or agree with anything I say but just step back and look at the reactions you are getting and ask yourself if you are being a good advertisment for our faith or if you are simply being arrogant.

Don't try to be a wiseass Abdullah you have never referred to Isa (pbuh) as Esau and I have read so many of your posts.

I posted up excerpts of Shaykh Abu Ameenah Bilah Philips' article sis, they were not my own words :)

Now you go way too far, why are you calling Allah (swt) a liar?????? :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Now Now Now sis, you really should 'verify' before you get that angry! :D

Now you will try to make the Prophet Mohammad (pbuh), divine? Only Allah is without sin, our Beloved Prophet was a human and all humans sin. The degree varies but that is all. The Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) was only sinless when it came to the issue of the revelation of the Quran, he gave us the Quran exactly as it was given to him, without altering a single letter, because this is protected by Allah (swt).

040.055PICKTHAL: Then have patience (O Muhammad). Lo! the promise of Allah is true. And ask forgiveness of thy sin, and hymn the praise of thy Lord at fall of night and in the early hours.

047.019PICKTHAL: So know (O Muhammad) that there is no Allah save Allah, and ask forgiveness for thy sin and for believing men and believing women. Allah knoweth (both) your place of turmoil and your place of rest.

PICKTHAL: That Allah may forgive thee of thy sin that which is past and that which is to come, and may perfect His favour unto thee, and may guide thee on a right path,

If you do not believe Allah (swt) perhaps you will be persuaded by the Companions of the Prophet?:

Narrated Abu Musa Al—Ash'ari:
The Prophet used to invoke Allah, saying, "O Allah! Forgive my mistakes and my ignorance and my exceeding the limits (i.e., my sins)"
(Bukhari, vol. 8, no. 6398)

What about Al-Ghazzali will you belive him?

Al-Ghazzali, who died in the early part of the twelfth century, stated in Part IV of Ihya' `Ulum al-Din, "The proof of the invariable necessity of repentance in all cases is that no one of mankind is free from bodily sin. The prophets also were not free from it, for the Koran and the Traditions mention the sins of the prophets, together with their repentance and weeping for them"

There may be two valid views regardnig this matter sis, and I did say that some Scholars may opine that the Prophets did commit minor sins didn't I? :)

All valid views are derived from the Quran and Sunnah sis, so therefore my view [whcih is a valid mainstream one] is based on it too, so I wouldn't be wrong by saying that we know from the Quran and Sunnah that the Prophets were absolutely sinless.

The way the Scholars interpret them verses in which says that the Prophets "asked forgiveness for their sins", is that the prophets used to "ask forgiveness for their sins", although they were sinless, out of fear of Allah, humility and gratitude.

Here is a fatwa from the ahle Sunnah Imaam, Mufti Ibraheem Desai, that explains this view further:

All the scholars, of Ilmul Kalaam (experts in the field of Aqaaid and
beliefs) are unanimous that every prophet was free from Shirk (ascribing
partnership with Allah), Kufr (disbelief) and sins. (Shahul Aqaaid)

Allah Ta'ala has mentioned incidents of some prophets who were rebuked by
Allah for making decisions that were not contextually appropriate (judgment
by error). That is not a sin. However, due to their lofty status in the
sight of Allah Ta'ala, they were rebuked. An example of that is Rasulullah
(Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) granting freedom to the captives of the battle
of Badr. Allah Ta'ala rebuked Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) for
that. Granting freedom to captives was not a sin but an error in judgment.

and Allah Ta'ala Knows Best

Mufti Ebrahim Desai
FATWA DEPT.

Ask-Imam.com: Search for sinless

And here are links of Sunnipath.com that explains this view further:

The Prophets are Protected from Sin

How Are The Prophets Protected From Error And Sin?

Peace.

There may be two valid views regardnig this matter sis, and I did say that some Scholars may opine that the Prophets did commit minor sins didn't I? :)

Yes you did in your usual 'but of course we dismiss their views' tone.

All valid views are derived from the Quran and Sunnah sis, so therefore my view [whcih is a valid mainstream one] is based on it too, so I wouldn't be wrong by saying that we know from the Quran and Sunnah that the Prophets were absolutely sinless.

Please provide the Quranic verses to support this view.

Oh here we go again, so the Prophets were sinful and sinless and both views are valid. You don't really actually believe that the Prophets can be both sinful and sinless do you? The suggestion here is that Allah (swt) doesn't have a clue what He is talking about, because He clearly states that the Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) has sinned and will sin in the future.

If you read up on this issue in Islamic history you will find that the idea of all Prophets being sinless was originally a Shia idea and Sunni scholars did not agree. Then over time the view was adopted by the Sunni scholars. Now refer back to Al-Ghazzali to see how late in the Islamic history that Sunni scholars changed their view on this issue and ask yourself if that could possibly be the true interpretation of the Quran. I specifically used a quote by Al-Ghazzali as you have relied so heavily on his views in the past.

I am mildly entertained by this discusion, I'm so sorry ... but I can't help myself!

Asalaamu 'alaikum all! Abdullah ....

peace and blessings. But mostly Light.

I see the need for your other thread, Muslimwoman ....

a coke and a smile ..... and yes, coke is halaal ... (there was a whole hoohaa about this a few years back!)

Salaam

I'm just going to re-explain [by editing] a part of an eariler post as I feel the earlier one is a bit jumbled up, and thus maybe somewhat incomprehensible to some.

4:162: "...But those of them who are firm in knowledge and the believers believe in that which is revealed unto thee, and that which was revealed before thee, ..."

The context of the above verse is where Allah talks about the Jews who are astray, then Allah mentions the above verse, saying "But those of them [those of the Jews] who are firm in knowledge, and the believers...".

Now it is obvious that the first part that I have quoted above refers to the Jews, for Allah then says, "And the believers", meaning the Muslims.

And the next part of that verse shows that Allah reffered to the jews that converted to Islam [and the Muslims], by saying: " believe in that which is revealed unto thee, and that which was revealed before thee".

So both these groups [the Jews that are firm in knowledge, and the believers] that Allah refers to, are Muslims, for obviously the Jews that believe in "that which has been revealed unto thee" [the Quran], alongside their Torah, are the Jews who accepted Muhammad [saw's] message, thus they became Muslims...

And this is what the tafsirs say as well:

Tafsir Al-Jalalyan:

But those of them who are firmly rooted, established, in knowledge, like 'Abd Allāh b. Salām, and the believers, the Emigrants and the Helpers, believing in what has revealed to you, and what was revealed before you, of scriptures,...

Altafsir.com – The Tafsirs - ÇáÊÝÇÓíÑ

Abdullah B. Salam was a Jewish convert to Islam; here is his story of how he converted:

[Taken from Sahih Bukhari from its 5th Volume and Hadith No. is 275]

When the news of the arrival of the Prophet (Sal-allahu-allehi-wasallam) at Medina reached 'Abdullah bin Salam (Radi Allah Ta'lah Anhu), he went to him to ask him about certain things,He said:

"I am going to ask you about three things which only a Prophet can answer: What is the first sign of The Hour? What is the first food which the people of Paradise will eat? Why does a child attract the similarity to his father or to his mother?"

The Prophet (Sal-allahu-allehi-wasallam) replied, "Gabriel has just now informed me of that." Ibn Salam said, "He (i.e. Gabriel) is the enemy of the Jews amongst the angels." The Prophet (Sal-allahu-allehi-wasallam) said, "As for the first sign of The Hour, it will be a fire that will collect the people from the East to the West. As for the first meal which the people of Paradise will eat, it will be the caudate (extra) lobe of the fish-liver. As for the child, if the man's discharge proceeds the woman's discharge, the child attracts the similarity to the man, and if the woman's discharge proceeds the man's, then the child attracts the similarity to the woman." On this, 'Abdullah bin Salam (Radi Allah Ta'lah Anhu) said, "I testify that none has the right to be worshipped except Allah, and that you are the Apostle of Allah."And added, "O Allah's Apostle (Sal-allahu-allehi-wasallam)! Jews invent such lies as make one astonished, so please ask them about me before they know about my conversion to Islam."

The Jews came, and the Prophet (Sal-allahu-allehi-wasallam) said, "What kind of man is 'Abdullah bin Salam among you?" They replied, "The best of us and the son of the best of us and the most superior among us, and the son of the most superior among us." The Prophet said, "What would you think if 'Abdullah bin Salam should embrace Islam?" They said, "May Allah protect him from that." The Prophet (Sal-allahu-allehi-wasallam) repeated his question and they gave the same answer. Then 'Abdullah came out to them and said, "I testify that none has the right to be worshipped except Allah and that Muhammad is the Apostle of Allah!" On this, the Jews said, "He is the most wicked among us and the son of the most wicked among us." So they degraded him. On this, he (i.e. 'Abdullah bin Salam) said, "It is this that I was afraid of, O Allah's Apostle (Sal-allahu-allehi-wasallam)."

Tafsir Ibn Kathir:

(believe in what has been sent down to you and what was sent down before you] Ibn `Abbas said, "This Ayah was revealed concerning `Abdullah bin Salam, Tha`labah bin Sa`yah, Zayd bin Sa`yah and Asad bin `Ubayd who embraced Islam and believed what Allah sent Muhammad with.

Tafsir.com Tafsir Ibn Kathir

bananabrain said:
I know you may not be happy to hear of the Islamic view regarding your religion, but the way forward is to discuss/debate and share views respectfully.
OK - well, "respectfully", you don't have the slightest clue about judaism. i don't care what you've been told or taught; it isn't what we believe and it doesn't match up with the verifiable facts about how jews do things. moreover, i don't believe it is "the" islamic view, but "an" islamic view based on a bunch of ignorant saudi mediaevalists who seem to think that they have a right to patronise everyone else.

We may have different views regarding one and anothers religion, but that does not mean we can't remain friendly towards one another.
really, would you be "friendly" to someone who with a straight face and a smug little smiley, tells you your entire culture, religion and history is a big lie? i mean, seriously, how would you expect someone to react?

Jews [Yahudi] is a reference to the children of Israel [the Prophet Israel [as], aka, the Prophet Yaqub [as], who was the son of Ibraheem's [as] son, Ishaaq.

Therafter, the Jews may consider themselves to be different tribes, i.e, "the twelve tribe of Israel", denotes twelve different tribes, but waht I meant is that, they are one tribe in the sense that they share a common forefather; Israel [as].
ok, here at least we can agree, except we wouldn't call it a "tribe", but a "people", an 'am (like "ummah") or goy. we would indeed use the phrase "bene yisra'el", but that is entirely beside the point - we're still the same people, what we call ourselves doesn't change that.

And here is the evidence from the Quran that the religion revealed to all Prophets was Islam, and that all Prophets and their followers were Muslims
obviously your evidence is from the Qur'an, but you have to understand that that doesn't actually make it authoritative for someone who isn't a muslim any more than if i told you that there was "evidence" from baha'i writings that muslims should actually revere baha'ullah as a prophet. you'd simply not find that to be "evidence" and so it is with me. what it is is *ASSERTION* based on *OPINION*. if you can't understand the difference between that and evidence, then i am afraid you need to do some basic study of how arguments are constructed.

Nowhere in the Bible will you find Allah saying to Prophet Moses' people or their descendants that their religion is Judaism,
what on earth does that have to do with anything? the concept of "religion" didn't even exist then - we were the bene yisra'el and this is our Torah. the fact that other people now call us "jews" doesn't alter the fact that the message is still addressed to us and we are the only ones still following its teaching.

The name "Jesus" on the other hand, is a latinized version of the Hebrew name Esau.
actually, it's not, but don't worry about letting facts get in the way of your dogma. "esau" is spelt ayeen-shin-waw, whereas "yeshu'a" is spelt yod-shin-waw-ayeen - they're entirely different.

Islam is not simply the name of a religion, the followers of which are called Muslims. The word 'Islam' is an arabic word which in relation to religion means submission. In simple words Islam means submission to God and to follow the instructions conveyed by the Prophet of one's time e.g.Islam at the time of Abrahim (peace be upon him) was to obey the orders of God and to follow the instructions of the Prophet Abrahim (p.b.u.h). Islam at the time of Moses (peace be upon him) was to obey the orders of God and to follow the instructions of the Prophet Moses (p.b.u.h).
right, this is what i refer to as "muslim with a lowercase m". however, you are not saying that. what you actually said previously was that there's not really any such thing since the arrival of "proper" islam with muhammad and that you're either a muslim with a capital M (shahada and all) or you're a kuffar, which is in contradiction to what is maintained by many other moderate (i.e. non-takfiri) authorities. so, if i can say, as i do, "there is no G!D but G!D", i can be a "muslim with a lowercase m" without continuing to say "and muhammad is the messenger of G!D" which would make me a "muslim with a capital M". but, as i say, you don't really believe in the former, although you try to imply that you do. you are actually being completely disingenuous, although i thought taqqiyah was a shi'a thing.

The above views are basically what the mainstream Scholars of islam teach, and if you find one ahle Sunnah Scholar [or even shia Scholar] that differs from the above views, then please let me know
how about the late great dr zaki badawi, may his memory be for a blessing, of the muslim college in london?

does it say in the Torah that past Prophets commited some major sins?; if so, then this is a clear proof of distortions in the Torah, as from the Quran and Sunnah we know that the Prophets were absolutely sinless; there may be some Islamic Scholars that opine that Prophets did commit minor sins [but they were forgiven], but no Islamic Scholar, would say that a prophet commited a major sin in his life.
well, that's the difference between you and us - you actually expect people not to behave like people and the prophets, despite their immediate experience of G!D, remained people. moses became angry and struck the rock. aaron participated in the building of the golden calf. naturally, we have perfectionist interpretations that try and whitewash these events but if we were really "distorting" the Torah, G!D Forbid, don't you think we'd have removed anything that made us look bad, like so much of it does? why would we leave stuff like the golden calf in there at all? sounds like pretty rubbish "distortion" to me.

There is no contradiction in that the ahle Kithab could also be kuffar; could the people, to who'm former revelations were revealed, adopt beliefs that constitutes rejection of Gods religion?; if that is possible, then they could be 'ahle kithab' and 'kuffar' at the same time.
this implies that "ahle kithab" is an ethnic definition, not a belief-based definition, which would certainly fit in with your characterisation of judaism as a "tribe". how sad for islam that some have reduced it to a mere racist ideology.

Dawah, whcih is the underlying core intention of my posts, is the utmost respect and love one can show towards a person, for it is only out of these feelings and attitude, will one want the best [salvation] for another,
oh, so it's out of respect and love that you're telling me my religion is lies and that i'm going to hell? well, thank you soooooo much, mate, i'm so happy now. why don't you try that approach on people in real life? in belfast, perhaps, or in little rock, arkansas?

in reality sis, my posts are full of love and respect towards who'm ever I reply to, and to whatever group of people I adress.
ah, that must explain why you suggested she was ignorant and mentally deficient. very loving and respectful i must say. you are a real poster child for islam, aren't you? sheesh. it's people like you that make me want to give up interfaith dialogue entirely and just forget about it entirely. it is people like you that make my life incredibly difficult when i'm trying to make the case to people in my own community that muslims aren't just a bunch of arrogant, dismissive, smug ignorant thickies with bigger beards than brains and a penchant for resorting to violence when others aren't convinced they'd be better off as dhimmi. clearly our lives will be one long party under the khilafa.

b'shalom

bananabrain

" What did anybody think was haraam about coke?"
It now uses vegetable sources for the "glycerine" ingredient, but formerly derived glycerine from animal lard, indifferently beef or pork.

" What did anybody think was haraam about coke?"
It now uses vegetable sources for the "glycerine" ingredient, but formerly derived glycerine from animal lard, indifferently beef or pork.

:eek: Oh ick. Thanks for the info Bob. Nice to know I am drinking vegetables now.

Yes you did in your usual 'but of course we dismiss their views' tone.

Please provide the Quranic verses to support this view.

Oh here we go again, so the Prophets were sinful and sinless and both views are valid. You don't really actually believe that the Prophets can be both sinful and sinless do you? The suggestion here is that Allah (swt) doesn't have a clue what He is talking about, because He clearly states that the Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) has sinned and will sin in the future.

If you read up on this issue in Islamic history you will find that the idea of all Prophets being sinless was originally a Shia idea and Sunni scholars did not agree. Then over time the view was adopted by the Sunni scholars. Now refer back to Al-Ghazzali to see how late in the Islamic history that Sunni scholars changed their view on this issue and ask yourself if that could possibly be the true interpretation of the Quran. I specifically used a quote by Al-Ghazzali as you have relied so heavily on his views in the past.

Salaam sis :)

If you are still bitter about me being concerned about your mental well being, although I apologised for it, and gave my reasons for it, then I apologise agAIN :eek:.

Shaykh Jibreel explains the reason for both views in the following article:

Q_Image.jpg
I come from a Christian background and so I was raised to think of the prophets (except for Jesus) as capable of sin. And I actually don't think that it would be so terrible if occasionally some of the prophets said "Do as I say, not as I do". But I think my real difficulty with the issue is that it seems like I've often heard the claim that there is agreement (ijma) that all the prophets are protected from sin to some degree but 1) I'm not sure of what the limits are of that protection. And I'm not sure where this principle is found in the Quran and sunnah. Can you please clarify?

A_Image.jpg

bism01.jpg

Wa `alaykum as-Salam,

Ibn al-Juwayni (Imam al-Haramayn) said in al-Irshad (p. 298-299):

"As for sins that are considered small, according to specificity as we shall explain, the minds do not deny them [as possible for Prophets]. I did not come upon a categorically explicit transmitted proof either negating them or asserting them [as possible]. For explicitly categorical proofs come either from explicit texts (nusus) or from consensus (ijma') and there is no consensus [either], since the ulema differ over the possibility of small sins for Prophets.

The explicit, unambiguous or un-interpretable texts that would categorically establish the principles pertaining to this issue are simply not found. So if it is said that since the matter is conjectural, what is the strongest conjecture in the matter in your opinion? We say: Our strongest conjecture is that they are possible. The stories of the Prophets in many a verse of the Book of Allah Most High bear witness to that [conjecture]. But Allah knows best what is right."

Imam al-Ghazzali said the same in substance in al-Mankhul (p. 223), a youthful work consisting of his class-notes from Imam al-Haramayn.

But Imam Taj al-Din al-Subki said in his Qasida Nuniyya:

"They said Allah precludes small sins from Prophets
and in our [Ash'ari] School are two positions.

Preclusion is narrated from the Master(*) and al-Qadi
`Iyad, and it is the strongest position.

It is the position I take and was that of my father
[cf. Taqi al-Din al-Subki, al-Ibhaj 2:263],
exempting their rank from any defect.

Al-Ash'ari is our Imam but in this we differ with him
one and all.

And we say that we are on his path but his companions
are split in two parties over the matter.

Some Ash'aris even said Prophets are completely free
of forgetfulness.

Yet all are considered al-Ash'ari's followers. This
dissent does not expel them from that status."

(*) The Master = Abu Mansur `Abd al-Qahir al-Baghdadi, author of Usul al-Din, al-Farq Bayn al-Firaq, and other important works of doctrine.

Source: Tabaqat al-Shafi`iyya al-Kubra (3:387-388).

So the conjecture of Imam al-Haramayn (d. 478) and his student Hujjat al-Islam (d. 505) was NOT retained by later Ash'aris nor earlier ones other than al-Ash'ari himself. Instead, the majority of the ulema including the Imams of the Four Schools of Law followed what they considered to be the stronger position, namely that Prophets are protected even from small sins.

Thus al-Amidi said in al-Ihkam (1:171) that all but the Khawarij concur Prophets are protected from the minor sins if the latter bear on their character. If, however, it comes to a rare word spoken out of anger, then the majority of the Ash'aris and Mu'tazilis allow it.

Qadi `Iyad in al-Shifa' said that the Jumhur of the Jurists from the schools of Malik, al-Shafi`i, and Abu Hanifa, agree that the Prophets are protected from all minor sins because one is required to follow them in the minutest matters. It is even reported from Malik that this is obligatory to believe.

Abu Ishaq al-Isfarayini's (d. 418) position was that no sin great or small issues from Prophets whether deliberately or by mistake and this is also our position." (Taj al-Din al-Subki Tabaqat al-Shafi`iyya al-Wusta as cited in the Kubra (4:260)).

Imam al-Zarqani said in his monumental commentary on al-Qastallani’s al-Mawahib al-Laduniyya (5:361) [Al-Qastallani’s original text is in parentheses):

<<(And among his Mu'jizaat [stunning miracles] is that he is immune from sins) before Prophethood and after it (both great and small, both by deliberate commission and by mistake) according to the soundest view, outwardly and inwardly, in secret and in public, in earnest and in jest, in contentment and in anger. And how not, when the Companions were unanimous in following him and faithfully imitating him in all his acts? (As were the Prophets) Al-Subki said:

"The Umma concurs on the true immunity ('isma) of Prophets, in what pertains to conveyance and other, from grave and small, contemptible sins as well as persistence in small sins but there is disagreement over small sins that do not detract from their rank. The Mu'tazila and many others allow them.

The preferred view is that they are precluded because we have been ordered to follow them in what issues from them; how then could something inappropriate occur on their part? As for those that deemed it possible, they did not do so on the basis of any textual stipulation or proof." That is, they only clang to externalities which, if they followed their logical conclusions, would lead them to violate consensus and take positions no Muslim takes, as expounded by `Iyad [in al-Shifa'].>>

They concurred that a necessary attribute of Prophets is absolute trustworthiness (amana):

"And essential for them [Prophets] is absolute trustworthiness"
(Jawharat al-Tawhid, verse 59)

which necessitates true immunity ('isma) or from haram, makruh, and inappropriate acts, speech, or thoughts (khilaf al-awla) (and even some of the mubah or indifferently permitted) except for a necessity of legislating a law, because Allah Most High made them our qidwa - obligatory paradigmatic model to follow without exception - and He does not want us to follow any haram, makruh, and inappropriate acts, speech, or thoughts.

{Verily in the messenger of Allah ye have a good example for him who looketh unto Allah and the last Day, and remembereth Allah much} (33:21).

Further, Allah Most High praised and literally exalted the Prophet’s character in no uncertain terms:

{And lo! thou art of a tremendous nature} (68:4).

The apparent counter-examples found in the Qur’an all without exception have interpretations that confirm the over-riding principles derived from the above verses and the conclusions of the majority of scholars (jumhur) I have just documented. For example, our liege-lord Adam’s “disobedience” (upon him peace) meant forgetfulness, or he was given Prophethood after he was forgiven. The consensus is that Prophets were sinless but were not necessarily created so nor made so from the very beginning of their Prophetic mission.

Yet such verses are a mercy from Allah Most High and His confirmation of other verses to the effect that the Holy Prophet is one of mankind, not an angel, and so were previous Prophets, so that mankind will have no excuse such as the claim that he and they were impossible to imitate or understand etc. - and Allah Most High knows best.

As for the question whether protection ('isma) from sin is the absence of volition, i.e. that the Prophet, upon him blessings and peace, "could not" rather than "would not" sin and that he was devoid of free will in this regard, this is incorrect. We may describe isma in terms of Wilaya, Nubuwwa, Wahi, Tawfiq, Hifz, and others but not as absence of free will. And Allah knows best.

The closest text to this issue is probably the following explanation of the hadith of the removal of the black clot from the heart of the Prophet, upon him peace. I came across this beautiful passage in Ibn al-Subki's Tabaqat al-Shafi`iyya al- Kubra (10:266-267):

"I heard my father - Allah have mercy on him - say, when he was asked about the black clot that was removed / from the heart of the Prophet - Allah bless and greet him – in his childhood, at the time of the splitting of his breast, and the statement of the angel to him, 'This is Satan's lot from you (hâdhâ hazhzh al-shaytâni minka)':

<<This clot Allah created in the hearts of human beings as naturally fit (qâbilatan) for whatever Satan casts into it and it was removed from his heart - Allah bless and greet him - so that no place remained in it fit for anything Satan could cast. This is the meaning of the hadith. There was no lot for Satan in the Prophet whatsoever. What the angel threw out was only a matter present in all human constitutions. That capacity was removed but its presence did not [in the first place] necessitate that anything had been cast into the heart. If you asked, "Why was that capacity created in that noble person when it was possible to create it without it?" I say, Because it is part of the human constituents. So its creation is part of the completion of human creation and is indispensable, while its removal is a Divine command that took place later on.>>

"I saw in the hand-writing of my brother, our Shaykh the Imam Abu Hâmid Ahmad, Allah save him, that he saw my father in dream on top of a high mountain lush with magnificent gardens. In my brother's hand was a lantern by the light of which he was reading to my father the text of the above discussion. He then thought that the lantern had gone out and began to repeat to my father, 'The lantern is out', several times. My father raised his head and told him, 'No'. My brother looked and saw that it was as my father said; 'But,' he said, 'there were lights on my father many times stronger than the light of the lantern and this is why I had thought it went out. In my sleep it came to my heart that those lights were because of the blessings of this research.'" End of the text from Ibn al-Subki.

The writer of these lines heard another moving explanation of the “black clot removal” related from the great Imam Ahmad Rida Khan, namely, that the clot consisted in the portion of the disbelievers at whose eternal doom, had it not been removed, the Prophet (upon him blessings and peace) would have felt unbearable mercy on the Day of Judgment because he was created and sent as a mercy for the universes. Even so, the Prophet shall include them in his intercession at the time all creatures stand in wait under the sun for the Judgment to begin! So Blessings and peace on the Prophet, his Family, and his Companions until the end of time and for all eternity.

The purification of the heart of the Prophet, upon him blessings and peace, as a young boy is also a proof that he received `Isma even before his Nubuwwa, and Allah knows best.

See on this topic, in addition to the above sources:

- Al-Razi, `Ismat al-Anbiya' (`Ilmiyya p. 28, top)
- Al-Laqani, Jawharat al-Tawhid verse 59.
- Al-Laqani, Ithaf al-Murid (p. 179-180).
- Al-Bajuri, Sharh al-Jawhara.
- Al-Sawi, Sharh al-Jawhara (p. 280).
- Al-Rifa`i, al-Ma`rifa (p. 77-78).
- Al-Hashimi, Miftah al-Janna (p. 204)
- Nuh `Ali Salman, Sharh al-Jawhara (p. 124-125).
- Al-Maliki, Muhammad (sallAllahu `alayhi wa-Sallam) al-Insanu al-Kamil
- Siraj al-Din, Sayyiduna Muhammad (sallAllahu `alayhi wa-Sallam), etc.

See also al-Shatibi's Muwafaqat (3:265).

And Allah knows best.

As a general note unrelated to this particular question, it is advisable not to approach the status of Prophethood with enquiries except with the highest good manners. Prophets are the elect of the Creator and like or above the angels in rank. We should take care, also, to focus on what is vital to our salvation and relinquish pursuits that are not only irrelevant but actually damaging to faith and works.

Hajj Gibril

How Are The Prophets Protected From Error And Sin?

Peace :)

OK - well, "respectfully", you don't have the slightest clue about judaism. i don't care what you've been told or taught; it isn't what we believe and it doesn't match up with the verifiable facts about how jews do things. moreover, i don't believe it is "the" islamic view, but "an" islamic view based on a bunch of ignorant saudi mediaevalists who seem to think that they have a right to patronise everyone else.

I think you will find that this is possibly the view of the consensus, for I have heard it from hanafi Scholars [who are not 'Wahhabi's'], and Abu Ameenah Bilal Philips is a Canadain convert to Islam, and not 'saudi' at all...

really, would you be "friendly" to someone who with a straight face and a smug little smiley, tells you your entire culture, religion and history is a big lie? i mean, seriously, how would you expect someone to react?

Well you wanted to 'have it out properly', and find out the Islamic views regarding Judaism didn't you?, so I gave you them, now how can you blame me for only answering your questions and responding to your posts? :rolleyes:

regarding the smileys, just trying to put a bit of humour in the posts; smileys are there to be used aren't they? :rolleyes:; and isn't a moderator supposed to promote their usage rather than be negative about them :D:rolleyes:.

ok, here at least we can agree, except we wouldn't call it a "tribe", but a "people", an 'am (like "ummah") or goy. we would indeed use the phrase "bene yisra'el", but that is entirely beside the point - we're still the same people, what we call ourselves doesn't change that.

Is'nt the word 'Jew' derived from/named after the word 'Judah', and does that not denote that 'Jews' originally reffered to the tribe of Judah?; The definition of the term 'Jew' later got expanded to mean anyone who was a decendent of Israel 'as' or anyone who converted to 'Judaism'...but the word itself was orginally adopted to mean the tribe of Judah; the name 'Judaism' was derived from and named after Judah too, as can be seen from the encyclopedia of Religion:

The Hebrew term Yehudi, translated as Judaeus in Latin and Jew in English, originally referred to a member of the tribe of Judah.

The word "Jew" (in Hebrew, "Yehudi") is derived from the name Judah, which was the name of one of Jacob's twelve sons. Judah was the ancestor of one of the tribes of Israel, which was named after him. Likewise, the word Judaism literally means "Judah-ism,"...

Originally, the term Yehudi referred specifically to members of the tribe of Judah, as distinguished from the other tribes of Israel... After that time, the word Yehudi could be used to describe anyone from the kingdom of Judah, which included the tribes of Judah, Benjamin and Levi, as well as scattered settlements from other tribes.

In common speech, the word "Jew" is used to refer to all of the physical and spiritual descendants of Jacob/Israel.

Jew - Encyclopedia of Religion

So it seems that even the western and Jewish? historians agree with the Muslims regarding the origins of the word 'Jew' and 'Judaism'. :)

obviously your evidence is from the Qur'an, but you have to understand that that doesn't actually make it authoritative for someone who isn't a muslim any more than if i told you that there was "evidence" from baha'i writings that muslims should actually revere baha'ullah as a prophet. you'd simply not find that to be "evidence" and so it is with me. what it is is *ASSERTION* based on *OPINION*. if you can't understand the difference between that and evidence, then i am afraid you need to do some basic study of how arguments are constructed.

I'm not saying that you have to accept the Quranic evidence bananabrain, I'm just merely giving you the islamic views :), which you wanted to know about. :rolleyes:

what on earth does that have to do with anything? the concept of "religion" didn't even exist then - we were the bene yisra'el and this is our Torah. the fact that other people now call us "jews" doesn't alter the fact that the message is still addressed to us and we are the only ones still following its teaching.

"the concept of religion didn't exist then???? :confused:, how can that be when 'religion' is what the Prophets, starting from the verry first one; Adam [as] taught to the people?; was it not a 'religion' [way of life that equalls submitting to the lord of the universe] that was preached by Prophets like Isaac [as], Yaqub [as], Moses [as]?

right, this is what i refer to as "muslim with a lowercase m". however, you are not saying that. what you actually said previously was that there's not really any such thing since the arrival of "proper" islam with muhammad and that you're either a muslim with a capital M (shahada and all) or you're a kuffar,

Let me be more clear on what I meant:

All the true followers of any Prophet, were Muslims with a capital M, just like the muslims of today, and the name of the religion brought by all Prophets was ISLAM, as was explained by Shaykh Bilal Philiphs and ther other aritcle. This happens to be the view of the mainstream Islamic Scholars and not just those of Saudi.

Through the ages, there were differences and changes in the rules, regualtions and pratices in Gods religion, so when we say that the religion was allways Islam, we dont mean that people were allways commanded to do the five daily prayers, fast in the month of Ramadan etc, for their were differences in the religion with the advent of new messengers [as].

which is in contradiction to what is maintained by many other moderate (i.e. non-takfiri) authorities. so, if i can say, as i do, "there is no G!D but G!D", i can be a "muslim with a lowercase m" without continuing to say "and muhammad is the messenger of G!D" which would make me a "muslim with a capital M". but, as i say, you don't really believe in the former, although you try to imply that you do. you are actually being completely disingenuous, although i thought taqqiyah was a shi'a thing.

taqiyyah????!!! :confused:; I thought I was being so candid and straightforward that Muslimwoman thought there was a hint of 'hate' to my posts, and now you claim I am hiding my real thoughts and beliefs :D; with me, you get what you see, which is, the 'real deal' :D; i'll try to be more 'sensetive' in my posts though, from now on ... :)

To say 'there is no God but God", and adhere to the teachings of the past Messengers was valid befroe the advent of the prophet Muhammad [saw], but after his advent, past divinely reveald religions have been abrogated, thus after the advent of the Prophet Muhammad [saw], to reject him is kufr by consensus; there is only a difference between the Scholars of to waht extent one has to hear about the Prophet [saw], and thereafter reject him, to be considered a rejector of the one and olny true faith.

To be a monothiest without accepting Muhammad [saw] and other certain neccesseties of faith, according to Islam, is only valid for those who have not heard about Islam.

Simmilarly, to reject the Prophet Jesus [pbuh] was kufr too, after the advent of jesus [pbuh], so the jews that rejected Jesus [pbuh] seized to be beleivers, although they may have considered themselves to be following Moses [as] [whcih they weren't, for Jesus [pbuh] was Prophecised in the Torah, and thus was part of Moses' religion to accept him and his teachings on his arrival]

well, that's the difference between you and us - you actually expect people not to behave like people and the prophets, despite their immediate experience of G!D, remained people. moses became angry and struck the rock. aaron participated in the building of the golden calf.

Astagfirullah!; does it say that in the Torah?; the Quran makes clear that Aaron [Harun] 'as' was a Prophet of Allah and no Prophet of Allah would help people in commiting shirk.

this implies that "ahle kithab" is an ethnic definition, not a belief-based definition, which would certainly fit in with your characterisation of judaism as a "tribe". how sad for islam that some have reduced it to a mere racist ideology.

whats racist about considering people to be people on who'm former revelations were revealed? :confused:; they are a 'beleif based definition' allright, and that will be, people who followed the previous Messengers, and people who distorted the message of the previous Messengers...and who thus follow their own man-made [hope that word isn't too insensetive :eek:] 'beliefs'; the latter group ofcourse may still retain some of the original teachings of the past Prophets.

oh, so it's out of respect and love that you're telling me my religion is lies and that i'm going to hell?

Well I didn't exactly put it as bluntly as that did I? :rolleyes:; and wasn't you who brought up this topic and wanted to find out the islamic views regarding judaism and Jews?; so how could you blame me now for merely giving you the islamic answers? :confused::rolleyes:; and regarding 'going to hell'; people who are 'on the path to hell', still have a chance to be redeemed, anytime before their death :).

well, thank you soooooo much, mate, i'm so happy now. why don't you try that approach on people in real life? in belfast, perhaps, or in little rock, arkansas?

well I used to go to hyde Park speakers corner almost every week, and I used to say basically the same things regarding this topic; once a non-Muslim told me "dont you find a problem with telling me that I'm going to hell"? [I didn't exactly put it that way to him; I was more sensitive and 'relevently contextual' [as I've been on this thread] in my words], and i explained to him...that I'm merely saying it, for he wanted to know what our view is regarding what happens to people who reject Islam and die in a state of rejection, and that I wasn't telling him it in spite, or malice, and that I was saying it in an 'invitation to Islam/warning', sense, just as the Prophets said it to people, and just as were commanded to 'spread the message' as well. :)

by the way, there's plenty of Christians there too that are shouting from the top of their heads that if you dont accept Jesus as lord, youre going to hell :D.

it is people like you that make my life incredibly difficult when i'm trying to make the case to people in my own community that muslims aren't just a bunch of arrogant, dismissive, smug ignorant thickies with bigger beards than brains and a penchant for resorting to violence when others aren't convinced they'd be better off as dhimmi. clearly our lives will be one long party under the khilafa.

well as i have shown, our view that 'Jew' originally reffered to a member of a tribe, and then it gradually got expanded to include any member of the 'Kingdom of Judah' and adherant of the 'Judaism' religion, accords to that of the western historians and Jews? as well.

As for the view that the orginal religion of moses [pbuh] was Islam, and that it was not 'Judaism', and that the Jews have distorted their religion and that it is no longer valid according to Islam; that is the view of the absolute consensus, and these views were expressed in response to relevent questions and posts; so if you think that is being 'arrogant', 'dismissive' and whatever else, then maybe you shouldn't ask for the Islamic views regarding Judaism anymore and should refrain from starting such a topic :D :rolleyes:

ps: the 'smug' smiley is just meant to be a 'smile' and a 'ha ha I've exposed a fault in your argument' kind of thing that's just meant in a jokey kind of way [and it is also used to take away the 'seriousness' which otherwise a particular comment may sound], and not meant to denote a feeling of being smug; we deplore any feeling that denotes pride and arrogance.

If you are still bitter about me being concerned about your mental well being, although I apologised for it, and gave my reasons for it, then I apologise agAIN :eek:.

Don't waste your keyboard Abdullah. You are still referring to 'concerned for my mental well being". When you accept that what you said was out of childish spite and very uncalled for, then I may believe you are sincere in apology. Until that time, any respect that I did have for you is gone.

Shaykh Jibreel explains the reason for both views in the following article:

Well that was a very long post. I shall ask again, can you provide Quranic evidence that states the Prophets did not sin? I provided Quranic evidence that shows they did, so should expect you to reply with clear Quranic verses opposing my belief and showing that the verses I provided have been abrogated (as only the Quran can abrogate the Quran).

As a general note unrelated to this particular question, it is advisable not to approach the status of Prophethood with enquiries except with the highest good manners. Prophets are the elect of the Creator and like or above the angels in rank. We should take care, also, to focus on what is vital to our salvation and relinquish pursuits that are not only irrelevant but actually damaging to faith and works.

So it is okay to call Allah a liar, as long as you don't insult the memory of the Prophets? I suggest you go back to your comments that Jews took rabbi's above G-d.

regarding the smileys, just trying to put a bit of humour in the posts; smileys are there to be used aren't they? :rolleyes:; and isn't a moderator supposed to promote their usage rather than be negative about them :D:rolleyes:.

Nice one, no doubt when you stone someone to death you tell them jokes, to inject a little humour?

So it seems that even the western and Jewish? historians agree with the Muslims regarding the origins of the word 'Jew' and 'Judaism'.

There is simply no end to your arrogance is there Abdullah. Now let me think, should we believe BananaBrain (who is a practicing Jew) on this matter or Abdullah (who can only quote Muslim scholars on every subject)???? Hmm, now there is a hard one.

Through the ages, there were differences and changes in the rules, regualtions and pratices in Gods religion, so when we say that the religion was allways Islam, we dont mean that people were allways commanded to do the five daily prayers, fast in the month of Ramadan etc, for their were differences in the religion with the advent of new messengers [as].

Very impressive contradiction. So everyone was Muslim with a capital M as muslims today but they didn't practice as muslims today, so were in fact not muslims as we are today. Yep that makes sense. :confused:

well I used to go to hyde Park speakers corner almost every week

Now why doesnt that sprise me?!

we deplore any feeling that denotes pride and arrogance.

I wonder why so many of your posts sounds so smug and arrogant then?

When Allah spoke of the Muslims, Jews and Christians, in Sura 2 of the Quran, He said:

002.148And each one hath a goal toward which he turneth; so vie with one another in good works. Wheresoever ye may be, Allah will bring you all together. Lo! Allah is Able to do all things.

Don't waste your keyboard Abdullah. You are still referring to 'concerned for my mental well being". When you accept that what you said was out of childish spite and very uncalled for, then I may believe you are sincere in apology. Until that time, any respect that I did have for you is gone.

Assalamualikum wr wb :)

It was a genuine concern sister and not meant in a 'spitefull way'; I'll give you an account of what lead up to the concern, so that anyone will be able to see that it was infact a genuine concern.

In the previous discussions about taqlid, differences of opinions, right sect, etc, we have had, I had to basically say the same things to you over and over again, cause what I said just seemed to miss you totally, although sometimes you did acknowledge the comprehension of them.

In the 'taqlid' discussion, you agreed to the concept of taqlid in some posts, and thereafter, you disagreed, as though you never agreed in the first place :confused:.

You were verry contradictory about what you told me about wheter you accepted hadiths or not; in some posts, you basically said "my teacher gives me authentic hadiths", and in others you basically said "I do not accept any hadiths", and in others you said that your teacher taught you that Muhammad [saw] wasn't even authorised by Allah to convey anything other than the Quran verses, i.e, that he didn't even convey any hadiths.

I found them posts contradictory to the extent where they become incoherant...

in the thread where I expressed concern for your iq, I was basically having to do the same thing, i.e, explain the same thing over and over again cause you just didn't seem to get it [not in the sense that you didn't agree with it, for it is your right to agree or disagree, but in the sense that you weren't even understanding the concept that was explained although the issue was no rocket science at all].

And to add to all of that, I specifically refffered you to the explanation shaykh hamza gave for his "you can't say anyone's going to hell' comment, and you came back and wanted to know the reason why from me, indicating that his explanations completey went over your head; later i realised that this was a mistake on my part as his explanations...comprised of the video part before the one I gave you the link of, but I did apologise for that.

Your 'iq' failures in the latter thread was of a more concerning nature than those in the former discussions, and given what you told me of what you were going through[ for confidentiality reasons I wont publicly mention waht you otld me...], I was concerned that that might have affected you for the worse

Now given all of the above sis, I have only two choices of what to make of you; one is that iether your deliberately 'pussy footing around', and just ignoring the evidences and explanations provided by me in a desperate attempt to just somehow keep on arguing to get your views accepted as being the right one, or as if they had some genuine validation to them [and in this case I'd be 'suspecting' you of 'foul play', and Islam teaches that I should give the benifit of the doubt upto 70 times], or I could assume that you have a genuine understanding problem and that it takes a lot longer for you to understand a point, or keep a point that has been explained by my in context in your next query or argument, than it does with other people, so naturally, and according to the principle of Islam, I gave you then benifit of the doubt :)

I hope now you can see that my concern was genuine.

Salaam :)

ps: i later apologised to you, not because my concern was not genuine, but because I saw that you were offended by my expression of concern and I just apologised to make you happy again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muslimwoman
Well that was a very long post. I shall ask again, can you provide Quranic evidence that states the Prophets did not sin? I provided Quranic evidence that shows they did, so should expect you to reply with clear Quranic verses opposing my belief and showing that the verses I provided have been abrogated (as only the Quran can abrogate the Quran).

The Quranic evidence that you showed sis shows that the Prophet [saw] was commanded to "ask forgiveness for his sins", but does that mean that the Prophets actually did sin?; could Allah not have commanded them to do that out of gratitude, taqwa [fear of Allah] and humlity, and so as to set an example for the people?

Here are the tafsir of the verses you mentioned:

040.055: So be patient, O Muhammad (s). Surely God's promise, to grant victory to His friends, is true - for you and whoever follows you are among such [friends]. And ask forgiveness for your sin, so that you will be emulated in this [by your community], and glorify, perform prayer, continuously, with praise of your Lord at night - which means after sunset - and in the early hours: the five prayers.

Well tafsir Al-Jalalayn indicates that it was so that the Prophet [saw] would be emulated by his community, that he should set the example of "asking forgiveness for his sin".

047.019: Know, then, that there is no god except God, that is to say, adhere, O Muhammad (s), to knowledge of this [fact] that will benefit you at the Resurrection, and ask forgiveness for your sin - this was said to him, despite his infallibility ('isma), so that his community might emulate him [in this respect]. Indeed he did do this. The Prophet (s) said, 'Verily I do ask God for forgiveness a hundred times every day' - and for the believing men and believing women - herein is an honouring for them, by having their Prophet enjoined to ask forgiveness for them. And God knows your going to and fro, your bustle during the day in pursuit of your business, and your place of rest, when you retire to where you sleep at night. In other words, He has knowledge of all your states, nothing of which can be hidden from Him, so be mindful of Him - the address [in this verse] is meant for believers as well as others.

once again we can see that the "asking forgiveness for sins" for the prophets is so that their communtiy will emualte them - aslo it's a blessing for the communtiy, for no doubt, in the supplications for 'forgiveness of sins' the Prophets will beg for the forgiveness of the sins of their community.

48.1-2:

Verily We have given you, We have ordained [for you] the conquest (fath) of Mecca, and other places in the future by force, as a result of your struggle, a clear victory, [one that is] plain and manifest;

that God may forgive you, by virtue of your struggle, what is past of your sin and what is to come, of it, so that your community might then desire to struggle [like you] - this [verse] also constitutes a justification of the [concept of the] infallibility ('isma) of prophets, peace be upon them, against sin, by way of a definitive rational proof (the lām [in li-yaghfira, 'that He may forgive'] is for [indicating] the ultimate reason [for the conquest], so that the content [of this latter statement] constitutes an effect and not the cause),1 and that He may perfect, by way of the mentioned victory, His favour to you and guide you, thereby, to a straight path, upon which He will confirm you - and this [straight path] is the religion of Islam;

As can be seen, Al-Jalalayn argues that this verse is infact a definitive rational proof that the Prophets are infallibe, i.e, protected from all sins, for Allah gives the effect of mujahida [struggle in Allah's path...] of the Prophets, which is that Allah keeps them free of all sins.

Salaam :)

It was a genuine concern sister and not meant in a 'spitefull way'; I'll give you an account of what lead up to the concern, so that anyone will be able to see that it was infact a genuine concern.

I get it now. You cut and paste a scholars opinion and if I do not accept that then of course I am a total moron with learning difficulties. Great, then I shall remain a moron, as I shall never turn my mind or heart to your way of thinking, alhamdilillah. :D

I was basically having to do the same thing, i.e, explain the same thing over and over again cause you just didn't seem to get it

It wasn't just because I don't accept it then!!!!!

Your 'iq' failures in the latter thread was of a more concerning nature than those in the former discussions, and given what you told me of what you were going through[ for confidentiality reasons I wont publicly mention waht you otld me...], I was concerned that that might have affected you for the worse

Don't even try going there Abdullah and 'suggesting' you know a big secret that affects my mental health. I CAN'T HAVE CHILDREN and some hadiths say that as a baren women I am worth less than a carpet in a home. Yes that problem has issues for my marriage but does that effect my thinking process - no, it is just something I have to deal with. There we go, now everyone knows the big secret that you feel may give me learning difficulties.

and just ignoring the evidences and explanations provided by me

Now you hit the nail on the head, I MUST accept your view as the truth or I am nutcase. Well, nutcase it is then because I am never going to accept blind following.

You truly are a nasty piece of extremist work Abdullah and I am embarrassed to belong to the same faith as you.

The Quranic evidence that you showed sis shows that the Prophet [saw] was commanded to "ask forgiveness for his sins", but does that mean that the Prophets actually did sin?; could Allah not have commanded them to do that out of gratitude, taqwa [fear of Allah] and humlity, and so as to set an example for the people?

So that would be a plain good old fashioned 'NO, I cannot produce Quranic evidence to support my view'. What a surprise.

So where is all your evidence to show that Ghazzali clearly had no idea what he was talking about, when he said that the Prophets could and did sin?

Back