The Quran - through my eyes.

Surah 10 is called Yunus (meaning Jonah). Despite the name of the chapter it does not tell the story of the Prophet Yunus (pbuh).

There are 109 verses, which were revealed at Mecca. This is one of the chapters that was not revealed at different times and in different places. The revelations of this chapter came before the Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) and the Muslims fled Mecca to Medina. So at this time they were few in number and being terribly persecuted by the pagan Meccans. Some Muslims were being tortured and murdered. Scholars state that we can be sure this was before the Medina migration because there is no mention at all of the escape to Medina.

There is very little in this Surah which is relevant to our discussion in this thread. The chapter deals with the afterlife, the assurance that we will all have to answer for our every deed, good and bad. The chapter warns us not to reject Allah or his message, sent through the Prophet Mohammad (pbuh).

And if misfortune touch a man he crieth unto Us, (while reclining) on his side, or sitting or standing, but when We have relieved him of the misfortune he goeth his way as though he had not cried unto Us because of a misfortune that afflicted him. Thus is what they do made (seeming) fair unto the prodigal. (10:12)

I have included this verse because it always leaves a lump in my throat. As Muslims this is one of our greatest lessons to learn, to remember to look to and worship Allah in all times, good and bad. It is not right only to turn to Allah to seek his favour.

And when Our clear revelations are recited unto them, they who look not for the meeting with Us say: Bring a Lecture other than this, or change it. Say (O Muhammad): It is not for me to change it of my accord. I only follow that which is inspired in me. Lo! if I disobey my Lord I fear the retribution of an awful Day. (10:15)

When looking at the life of the Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) it is imperative to remember that he knew absolutely that anything he did in this life he would answer for in the next. Unfotunately that is a lesson that Muslims who followed the Prophet quickly forgot, when they looked to this world only but that is not something we can blame our Beloved Prophet for. So when you read that he was a war lord or monster, etc please keep this verse in mind and look for the truth.

There are many verses that deal with people that ascribe partners to Allah, of course the chapter was revealed at Mecca, where the pagan tribes lived and traded. Each tribe had it's own god.

And if they deny thee, say: Unto me my work, and unto you your work. Ye are innocent of what I do, and I am innocent of what ye do. (10:41)

Here Allah speaks of the Prophet Mohammad (pbuh), that when people call him a fake he is to answer in this way (not cut their heads off). ;)

Forgive me if I digress for a moment but this next piece has great interest for me.

They say: Allah hath taken (unto Him) a son - Glorified be He! He hath no needs! His is all that is in the heavens and all that is in the earth. Ye have no warrant for this. Tell ye concerning Allah that which ye know not? (10:68)

Say: Verily those who invent a lie concerning Allah will not succeed. (10:69)

I have included these verses because they impress me with their historical context. We know that this chapter was revealed in the early days of Islam, before the Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) had any difficulty with Christians. When the Prophet received the first revelation he was very scared and was comforted by his wife Khadijah (pbuh) and her cousin Waraqah ibn Nawfal a commited Christian monk. It was Waraqah that told Mohammad he had seen the angel Gabriel and the Meccans would reject him and drive him from the town. Waraqah believed in the Prophethood of Mohammad but he died a few days later, a Christian. The Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) said that Waraqah was not to be slandered, as he would receive his place in Paradise. For me these verses are very significant because they confirm that Jesus (pbuh) was a Messenger of G-d but not his son. I say this because I try to be practical and honest, I ask myself why Mohammad would say this if it was not revealed by G-d, as this claim was guaranteed to cause difficulties for him and his followers. For those that believe that Mohammad was a false Prophet, just after power and wealth, I think they should ask themselves why he would say such a thing, when he could have claimed to be a Prophet sent to confirm the message of Jesus (pbuh) as the son of G-d and been more widely accepted as such.

Sorry just wanted to share my thoughts on those verses.

And if thy Lord willed, all who are in the earth would have believed together. Wouldst thou (Muhammad) compel men until they are believers? (10:99)

What an interesting rehtorical question. I get very troubled by Muslims that claim the whole world must be Muslim, if Allah tells us that He does not will this then who are we to argue? Of course this also shows that the Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) was told by Allah, from the very early days, that you cannot force anyone to believe.

Which is confirmed here:

Say: "O ye men! Now Truth hath reached you from your Lord! those who receive guidance, do so for the good of their own souls; those who stray, do so to their own loss: and I am not (set) over you to arrange your affairs." (10:108)

There we have Surah 10, as I said it deals with the afterlife so there is very little for this life other than the need to believe in G-d, not ascribe partners to Him and remember that we will all be judged, there is no way to avoid it.

Salaam

Surah 11 is called Hud (meaning Hud :D). It has 123 verses and is believed to have been revealed immeditaley after Surah 10 (but we are not sure about that). However, it follows the same theme as chapter 10 and is an invitation to believe in Allah, a warning of what will happen if you do not and that we can hide nothing from Allah. It is a sterner warning than chapter 10.

As Surah 11 does not deal with how we should bahave in this life we shall go straight to Surah 12.

Surah 12 is called Yusuf (meaning Joseph). It has 111 verses and was revealed at the very end of the Prophet Mohammads stay in Mecca before leaving for Medina. The Meccans were discussing whether to exile or imprison or kill the Prophet.

This Surah was a direct gift from Allah to the Prophet Mohammad (pbuh). In order to expose the Prophet as a fraud the people of the book (either Christians or Jews or both) in Mecca asked the Prophet 'why did the Israelites go to Egypt?'. This was a very clever question, as it was not an oral tradition known to the Arab pagans so the assumption was that either Mohammad would have to admit he did not know or would have to ask a Christian or Jew, thus proving himself to be a fraud. Instead Allah revealed the entire chapter right there and then, the whole story of Joseph. Allah did this obviously to prove that Mohammad was a true Prophet.

Here it is worth remembering my earlier post that discussed the Jewish scholars in Medina that helped to teach the Prophet about the earlier Scriptures and the chronology of the Prophets. Jews and Christians traded in Mecca so it is not fair to suggest that Mohammad would know nothing of their faith but this chapter was revealed before he went to Medina, therefore before he had a deep understanding of the Prophets before him. So how could he recite the entire story of Joseph? :rolleyes:

When the Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) finished reciting the story of Joseph, Allah said:

This is of the tidings of the Unseen which We inspire in thee (Muhammad). Thou wast not present with them when they fixed their plan and they were scheming. (12:102)

In their history verily there is a lesson for men of understanding. It is no invented story but a confirmation of the existing (Scripture) and a detailed explanation of everything, and a guidance and a mercy for folk who believe. (12:111)

All praise be to Allah.

Salaam

Surah 13 is called Al-Rad (meaning the thunder). There are 43 verses and again this chapter was revealed at the very end of the days in Mecca. Again, this chapter, like the 3 before, deals with the Prophethood of Mohammad and the message he brings. It is a warning for mankind but does not deal with matters of society.

Surah 14 is called Ibrahim (meaning Abraham), it does not tell the story of Abraham but deals with the giving of revelations from Allah to Prophets and the people that reject the messages. This Surah is once again a warning to unbelievers, it was revealed at around the same time as the previous chapter. There is a theme that runs through all of these chapters in this part of the Quran, telling how each Messenger was rejected by some and accepted by some but that we shall all return to Allah and answer to Him.

Surah 15 is called Al-Hijr (meaning stoneland, rock city). There are 99 verses and it follows the warnings of the previous few chapters. By now the Prophet Mohammad had been preaching his message for years and yet the people of Mecca still refused the message, they were by now becoming very hostile to the message. These chapters all speak of the folly of caring more for this life than the next.

Surah 16 is called An-Nahl (meaning the bee). It has 128 verses and is another Meccan verse. The verses deal with the blessings of Allah for mankind (animals, food, rain, shelter, etc) and the ingratitude of mankind for these gifts.

Of course there are lessons for us in these chapters but they are spiritual rather than to do with everyday society.

Surah 17 is called Al-Isra (night journey, the children of Israel). There are 111 verses. By now the message of Islam had been preached for 12 years in Mecca, many tribes had now been influenced by Islam inlcuding 2 tribes in Medina. The time had come for the move to Medina and to establish an Islamic state there.

Give the kinsman his due, and the needy, and the wayfarer, and squander not (thy wealth) in wantonness. (17:26)

The Quran repeatedly speaks of charity.

Slay not your children, fearing a fall to poverty, We shall provide for them and for you. Lo! the slaying of them is great sin. (17:31)

Families, who feared starvation, would in those days kill their children. This was forbidden by Islam.

And come not near unto adultery. Lo! it is an abomination and an evil way. (17:32)

Adultery is a major sin in Islam, for both men and women.

And slay not the life which Allah hath forbidden save with right. Whoso is slain wrongfully, We have given power unto his heir, but let him not commit excess in slaying. Lo! he will be helped. (17:33)

We are only to kill with justice (attackers, murderers, rapists, oppressors, etc). If you murder my father then my brother is allowed to be the one to carry out your capital punishment or he can appoint someone else to do it but he is not allowed to raid your home and kill any that are not responsible for the murder. The Quran speaks many times that forgiveness in this situation is better for your soul and it seen even now in Saudi, where a family moments before an execution will stay the execution and pardon the murderer.

Come not near the wealth of the orphan save with that which is better till he come to strength; and keep the covenant. Lo! of the covenant it will be asked. (17:34)

In the time of Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) people would take in orphans, not from charity but from greed so they could spend the orphans inheritence. This was stopped by Islam, anyone that took in an orphan was not allowed to spend any of their inheritence other than for necessities if they could not afford to provide these themselves.

Remember this was during the creation of the first Islamic state in Medina, so everyone was involved in this societal structure. If someone took in an orphan and suddenly purchased 10 camels and a few goats then society at large would have something to say about it. They didn't have police or court systems, the people policed themselves and each other. It was an amazing system given that it was 1400 years ago.

Fill the measure when ye measure, and weigh with a right balance; that is meet, and better in the end. (17:35)

Fairness in business is also dealt with.

Surah 18 is called Al-Kahf (meaning the Cave). There are 110 verses and again deal with challenges to the Prophet to recite stories about the prior Scriptures. Therefore this chapter has no relevence to our topic.

Surah 19 is called Maryam (meaning Mary the mother of Jesus (pbut)). Maryam is the only woman to be named in the Quran and she has a very special place in Muslim hearts. Maryam is actually mentioned more times in the Quran than in the NT. Unlike the Bible the Quran speaks of the birth and early life of Maryam. This chapter does actually tell the story according to it's title, from the birth of Maryam to the birth of Jesus (pbuh) and Maryam's return to her people.

All Muslims, male and female should strive to be like Maryam, she is honoured for her spirituality and truthfulness. The Quran even refers to her by a masculine plural form (qanitin - one who is truely Obedient to G-d). Muslims love and respect of both Maryam and Jesus (pbut) would be a whole other thread.

Surah 20 is called Ta-Ha for which there is no translation. There are 135 verses. This chapter begins by explaining to the Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) that his Prophethood is not a burden for him, the Quran is not a new message but is a reminder of the previous Scriptures and it was not the responsibility of the Prophet to make people believe, only to give them the message. The chapter likens the mission of Prophet Mohammad to Prophet Moses (pbut) and goes on to tell the story of Moses.

People who say that Muslims believe in a different G-d to Jews and Christians need to check out this verse:

Your Allah is only Allah, than Whom there is no other Allah. He embraceth all things in His knowledge. (20:98)

The word Allah simply means G-d, as can be seen more clearly in the Yusufali translation of the same verse:

But the god of you all is the One Allah: there is no god but He: all things He comprehends in His knowledge. (20:98)

Then they twain ate thereof, so that their shame became apparent unto them, and they began to hide by heaping on themselves some of the leaves of the Garden. And Adam disobeyed his Lord, so went astray. (20:121)

This verse deals with Adam & Eve (pbut) and the eating from the forbidden tree. Please note that they are equally guilty. This is from a religion that is said to be so dismissive of women, if that were true would it not have been easier to blame Eve alone?

Surah 21 is called Al-Anbiya (meaning the Prophets). It has 112 verses. The chapter begins by talking about the chiefs of Mecca that claimed the Prophet Mohammad was a sourcerer or a poet or he just dreamt that and angel visited him. It goes on to talk about there being only One G-d. This is the main theme of the Quran, that there is only One G-d and He has no partners or sons. The Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) was surrounded by people that believed in gods or in sons or daughters of G-d and his main message was there is no such thing, we must worship only the One True G-d and that this had been G-d's message since the beginning of time. The Surah speaks of many Prophets that have preached the same message, to stop worshipping idols and worship only Allah.

Surah 22 is called Al-Hajj (meaning the pilgrimage) and has 78 verses. Scholars disagree as to whether this chapter was revealed in Mecca or Medina or in both (as some chapters were revealed over time). There is a distinct change in style during this chapter which would certainly suggest a period of time between revelation of verses.

This chapter deals with believers, non-believers and also those that believed but only if it meant they didn't have to endure any hardship. That sounds flippant but I do not mean it to, it was a very difficult time for people having to leave everything they know and be outcasts from their society. In Arabia at the time your tribe was everything, people did not think individually but as a tribe, without the tribe you died. So it must have been very difficult for people to turn their backs on their tribe, family and lifestyle.

The chapter begins by speaking to the waverers, explaining the right path and the punishment for choosing the wrong path.

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid (22:39)

Again we are instructed only to fight to defend ourselves.

This Surah deals with the afterlife, that whether we believe or not will be judged by Allah.

Surah 23 is called Al-Mumenoon (meaning the believers). It has 118 verses but deals with our faith in Allah, not social teachings.

Surah 24 is called An-Noor (meaning the light). It has 64 verses. This chapter needs historical background, as time has moved on somewhat. Following the final battle (the battle of the trench at Medina), where the 10,000 strong army of the Quraysh failed to beat the Muslims, the Quraysh realised they would not be able to beat them on a battlefield.

Islam was growing daily and the society was very strong. So the enemies of Islam decided to change strategy and attack the moral fibre of Islam, as it was clear that the Muslims drew their strength from this and this causing more and more people to convert. Therefore some non-believers claimed to convert and them began rumours (we all know how they spread).

The first rumour was about the Prophets marriage to Hadrat Zainab, the divorced wife of his adopted son. The Prophet himself had convinced Zainab against her desire to marry Zaid, his adopted son. Zaid had been a slave of the Prophet, whom the Prophet had freed and then adopted as a son. The Prophet wanted her to marry Zaid to prove to the people that there is no difference in status between a freed slave and a free Muslim. Zainab & Zaid divorced (it is believed that Zainab had been unhappy with the marriage from the start). The rumour was spread that the Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) had one day seen Zainab, fallen in love with her, forced her to get divorced and then marry him. We can easily show what utter rubbish this is. Zainab was the first cousin of the Prophet Mohammad so he had known her from childhood, she was then married to his adopted son, so why would he suddenly 'see her one day'? It makes no sense. The strange thing about rumour though is that it sticks and even today this rumour is repeated. There was a reason for each of the Prophets marriages and he married Zainab to show that the ex wife of an adopted son is not the same as the ex wife of a true physical son (who he could not have married).

The next problem was with Abdullah bin Ubayy, he had been a high chief in Medina before the arrival of the Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) and although he converted to Islam he never forgot that his status had been usurped by the arrival of the Prophet. While they were away on a campaign he had started driving wedges between the Muslims and the pagans that lived in Medina, saying that if the pagans ran the Muslims out of town when they got back they would gain control again. The Prophet heard of this scheme and made a forced march back to Medina, not stopping for long enough for people to gossip or plot. Adbullah bin Ubayy however did not give up, his next scheme was to slander Ayisha, the wife of the Prophet. He stated that she had been unfaithful with a respected Muslim, this attacked the very moral core of Islam. This rumour almost caused a civil war and certainly caused serious cracks to form between different tribes in Medina.

Ayisha was proven to be totally innocent but Islamic society had to be protected from this so these difficulties led to this chapter being revealed. Fornication had been up to this point a social crime but now became a legal crime and was given a physical punishment of 100 lashes. Also people that accused peope of fornication but could not produce 4 witnesses were given a punishment. The wives of the Prophet could easily be used to cause such trouble, so they were to be treated differently from other women after this, as they held such important positions in society. Allah did not reveal the verses to protect the reputation of the Prophet or his wives but to show Muslim society how to protect itself from such mischief.

Basically this chapter teaches us that we should behave in a way that cannot lead to such slander and that people must be considered innocent until proven guilty (hey it took the rest of us centuries to catch onto that one). :p

This period was a huge change for Muslim society, people now had to 'knock' before entering houses, women were instructed to cover their breasts and head, marriage was encouraged even for slaves (as unmarried people could lead to adultery), prostitution among slave girls went from forbidden to illegal, etc. Morals became stricter and more legalised and Muslims were encouraged to all eat together in each others houses so that cliques did not form.

So for Muslims this chapter is a very big deal for how we live in society and how our behaviour protects us from false accusation and stops outsiders from causing trouble among us.

The adulterer and the adulteress, scourge ye each one of them (with) a hundred stripes. And let not pity for the twain withhold you from obedience to Allah, if ye believe in Allah and the Last Day. And let a party of believers witness their punishment. (24:2)

Adultery is totally unacceptable in Islamic society. People keep saying to me how disgusting and barbaric it is to punish people for adultery but I totally disagree. Firstly what would you have to do to have 4 witnesses actually seeing the sex act and therefore receiving the punishment? Secondly why should we accept that adultery is ok? It is not, it leads to divorce, to one parent families, to unwanted pregancies, sexually transmitted diseases, etc - if accepted as normal it becomes a moral disease in society and we reject that disease.

The adulterer shall not marry save an adulteress or an idolatress, and the adulteress none shall marry save an adulterer or an idolater. All that is forbidden unto believers. (24:03)

Anyone that has committed adultery cannot marry a decent person, as the chances are they will do it again and spread the moral decay. They must therefore only marry someone else that has commited the crime of adultery, thus limiting the decay.

And those who accuse honourable women but bring not four witnesses, scourge them (with) eighty stripes and never (afterward) accept their testimony - They indeed are evil-doers - (24:4)

The 4 witnesses must actually have seen the penis inside the vagina or their testimony is not accepted. I suppose never having your testimony accepted again would be like having 'liar' tattooed on your forehead, it would be humiliating and is therefore a great way to make people very sure before they go around accusing people. (24:6)

And yet a fifth, invoking the curse of Allah on him if he is of those who lie. (24:7)

Think about this from a Muslim perspective, we know we shall be called to Allah one day and have to answer for our every deed. If we have sworn by Allah 4 times that we tell the truth and then invoke the curse of Allah if we have lied - guess what will happen on the Day of Judgement? :eek:;)

However ....

And it shall avert the punishment from her if she bear witness before Allah four times that the thing he saith is indeed false, (24:8)

And a fifth (time) that the wrath of Allah be upon her if he speaketh truth. (24:9)

So both sides are given the opportunity to tell the truth or lie but they must swear by Allah and invoke his anger if they lie. There will be no help for the liar when the time comes. We have records of Muslims that have admitted crimes and demanded their punishment because the fear the anger of Allah more than the punishment of man. This is an important Islamic principle, we as humans are given the choice of doing right or wrong and it is to Allah that we will anwer and He knows the truth of everything.

Lo! they who spread the slander are a gang among you. Deem it not a bad thing for you; nay, it is good for you. Unto every man of them (will be paid) that which he hath earned of the sin; and as for him among them who had the greater share therein, his will be an awful doom. (24:11)

It was a good thing for the Muslims because it was a lesson in how to protect ourselves and our society from such mischief.

Why did not the believers, men and women, when ye heard it, think good of their own own folk, and say: It is a manifest untruth? (24:12)

Why did they not produce four witnesses? Since they produce not witnesses, they verily are liars in the sight of Allah. (24:13)

Here we have the principle of innocent until proven guilty.

When ye welcomed it with your tongues, and uttered with your mouths that whereof ye had no knowledge, ye counted it a trifle. In the sight of Allah it is very great. (24:15)

Allah admonisheth you that ye repeat not the like thereof ever, if ye are (in truth) believers. (24:17)

Gossip is a sin in Islam, particularly for women as let's face it we do tend to be the biggest gossips. This is one of the main reasons that a man's testimony is stronger than a woman's, because we do tend to gossip and play chinese whispers. A man is generally more likely to just state the facts, women tend to go into detail (even if they were 100 miles away at the time but their second cousins neighbours auntie told them :p). Remember it is traditional in Islamic society that women do not work so gossip is rife, as we have little else to do.

O ye who believe! Enter not houses other than your own without first announcing your presence and invoking peace upon the folk thereof. That is better for you, that ye may be heedful. (24:28)

And if ye find no-one therein, still enter not until permission hath been given. And if it be said unto you: Go away again, then go away, for it is purer for you. Allah knoweth what ye do. (24:29)

If a man, that I could legally marry, came to visit my home I would not allow him to enter if my husband was not at home, as my husband would do if a female came to visit and I was not at home. This protects us from gossip (you know the nosey neighbour upstairs who says I saw such and such go in there and he was in there for an hour and her husband was not home, nudge, nudge, wink, wink). We do not see it as rude or a silly way to live, it simply protects our reputation. Think about this for a moment, my husband trusts me without question but what if he heard that I had had a man in our home. The first couple of people that said it he would think nothing of it but when more people gossiped about it there is a chance it would cause him to be jealous and may damage our marriage in the long run. So we avoid this completely and our reputations and trust remains spotless. I find it a very refreshing way to live, there are simply no trust issues.

Tell the believing men to lower their gaze and be modest. That is purer for them. Lo! Allah is aware of what they do. (24:30)

And tell the believing women to lower their gaze and be modest, and to display of their adornment only that which is apparent, and to draw their veils over their bosoms, and not to reveal their adornment save to their own husbands or fathers or husbands' fathers, or their sons or their husbands' sons, or their brothers or their brothers' sons or sisters' sons, or their women, or their slaves, or male attendants who lack vigour, or children who know naught of women's nakedness. And let them not stamp their feet so as to reveal what they hide of their adornment. And turn unto Allah together, O believers, in order that ye may succeed. (24:31)

There are rules of dress for both men and women. Of course women have a stricter dress code because we have more private bits to cover. Men cannot show between the navel and knee (even on a beach). Basically if we are with people that it would be legal for us to marry then we should dress appropriately and cover ourselves to stop any temptation. We accept responsibility on both parties, of course men should not letch at me but I should dress and behave appropriately so they have no reason to letch.

And marry such of you as are solitary and the pious of your slaves and maid-servants. If they be poor, Allah will enrich them of His bounty. Allah is of ample means, Aware. (24:32)

Basically get everyone married, it is better for society.

And let those who cannot find a match keep chaste till Allah give them independence by His grace. And such of your slaves as seek a writing (of emancipation), write it for them if ye are aware of aught of good in them, and bestow upon them of the wealth of Allah which He hath bestowed upon you. Force not your slave-girls to whoredom that ye may seek enjoyment of the life of the world, if they would preserve their chastity. And if one force them, then (unto them), after their compulsion, lo! Allah will be Forgiving, Merciful. (24:33)

Okay here we have no sex before marriage. Also free your slaves if they ask for freedom and give them money. Slave girls in Arabia used to be sold as prostitutes, this was forbidden by Islam but Allah knows that if a man forces a slave girl to prostitution against her will then the sin is on the man not the girl, so he will be punished not her.

O ye who believe! Let your slaves, and those of you who have not come to puberty, ask leave of you at three times (before they come into your presence): Before the prayer of dawn, and when ye lay aside your raiment for the heat of noon, and after the prayer of night. Three times of privacy for you. It is no sin for them or for you at other times, when some of you go round attendant upon others (if they come into your presence without leave). Thus Allah maketh clear the revelations for you. Allah is Knower, Wise. (24:58)

This was about privacy, the three times of day that a man tended to lie with his wife. Houses tended to be very open and privacy was unheard of, this provided privacy for married couples at certain times of day, requiring people in the house to 'knock'.

As for women past child-bearing, who have no hope of marriage, it is no sin for them if they discard their (outer) clothing in such a way as not to show adornment. But to refrain is better for them. Allah is Hearer, Knower. (24:60)

This verse confirms that the dress code is not about oppressing women but about stopping lust.

No blame is there upon the blind nor any blame upon the lame nor any blame upon the sick nor on yourselves if ye eat from your houses, or the houses of your fathers, or the houses of your mothers, or the houses of your brothers, or the houses of your sisters, or the houses of your fathers' brothers, or the houses of your fathers' sisters, or the houses of your mothers' brothers, or the houses of your mothers' sisters, or (from that) whereof ye hold the keys, or (from the house) of a friend. No sin shall it be for you whether ye eat together or apart. But when ye enter houses, salute one another with a greeting from Allah, blessed and sweet. Thus Allah maketh clear His revelations for you, that haply ye may understand. (24:61)

This sounds complicated but is really very simple. The blind, lame and sick can take food from houses, as it was not seen as stealing but as charity. Theft was a punishable crime, so this verse protects those of society that cannot provide for themselves.

So there we have one of the most important chapters for Muslim society, a set of rules for the protection of ourselves, our reputations and our society as a whole. :D

Salaam

mw. you have opened my eyes . Seriously, I didnt realize that the texts contain information about jesus, mary even adam and eve. I was thoroughly ignorant to this andI thank you. I guess I thought it contained just stuff that basically said we are right and basically everyone else is wrong and kill them if they dont believe. I told you I was ignorant. Keep going. its good reading and I hope others could read it like this. ( in your words) you know, there really isnt a lot of difference (basically) .

Hi Grey

The Quran is a very surprising book and when you read what it says, rather than what you are told it says (that goes for Muslims too) there is such beauty and peace in it. No it is not all group hugs and handing out flowers but the world cannot be that way in my opinion. We must fight oppression, with violence if necessary and if that means we have to go to Burma to stop the killing of peaceful monks then hand me a gun. Yes killing is wrong, the Quran confirms this but it also states that 'oppression is worse than slaughter'.

One of the greatest misconceptions about Islam is that the Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) brought a totally new religion with new rules but that is so wrong, the Quran says in numerous places that he came to confirm the religion of the previous Prophets, the belief in One G-d. His revelations from Allah were to confirm what was true in the previous Scriptures and practices and what was manmade (of course Muslims are now guilty of that one too :().

Please don't think you are ignorant. Propaganda from outside and inside Islam has created those beliefs you hold (I used to believe them until I read the Quran for myself). I read stuff about Islam from non Muslims and Muslims alike and shout at my computer screen - where does it say that. There is so much propoganda and that is what I try to fight, on both sides.

Salaam

Surah is called Al-Furqan (meaning the criterion, the standard) and has 77 verses. Here we go back in time again, this chapter was revealed at Mecca during the time when people were scoffing at the Prophet Mohammad (pbuh), declaring him to be a fraud and this whole chapter deals with the authenticity of the Prophet.

However some of my absolute favourite verses are in this chapter so I just want to share a few with you:

The (faithful) slaves of the Beneficent are they who walk upon the earth modestly, and when the foolish ones address them answer: Peace (25:63)

Not chop their heads off or blow them up but say to them peace. :D
And those who cry not unto any other god along with Allah, nor take the life which Allah hath forbidden save in (course of) justice, nor commit adultery - and whoso doeth this shall pay the penalty; (25:68)

The doom will be doubled for him on the Day of Resurrection, and he will abide therein disdained for ever; (25:69)

Save him who repenteth and believeth and doth righteous work; as for such, Allah will change their evil deeds to good deeds. Allah is ever Forgiving, Merciful. (25:70)

And whosoever repenteth and doeth good, he verily repenteth toward Allah with true repentance - (25:71)

And those who will not witness vanity, but when they pass near senseless play, pass by with dignity. (25:72)

And those who, when they are reminded of the revelations of their Lord, fall not deaf and blind thereat. (25:73)

And who say: Our Lord! Vouchsafe us comfort of our wives and of our offspring, and make us patterns for (all) those who ward off (evil). (25:74)

I love these verses, they suggest we must be dignified, not aggresive.

Salaam

Surah 26 is called Al-Shuara (meaning the poets) and has 227 verses. This chapter tells the story of the Prophet Moses (phbu), Pharaoh and the flight of the Israelites. Then speaks of the Prophets Abraham, Noah & Lot (pbut). The chapter is confirming the teachings of the prior Prophets that there is only one G-d, that they asked no reward and the punishments that Allah brought down on the people that rejected the prior Prophets. The former Prophets are confirmed in many chapters but for anyone interested in the Prophets this is a good chapter to read.

The title of this chapter is interesting. Poetry was a system of communication in Arabia at the time, you could compliment, insult and even topple a tribal chief with a cleverly devised poem. Poems were also used to insite, hatred, treachery and murder (as some writings are used these days). The non-believers accused the Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) of being nothing more than a clever poet, thus the Quran says many times that they can prove the truth of that accusation by creating a single Surah like the Quran. Sounds easy when you think in English but not so in Arabic. After 1400 years, despite constant attempts, no-one has yet created a Surah that is like the Quran. ;)

Wrong not mankind in their goods, and do not evil, making mischief, in the earth. (26:183)

The teaching of all of the Prophets including the Prophet Mohammad (pbuh).

Surah 27 is called Al-Naml (meaning the ant) and has 93 verses. This chapter is a Meccan surah so deals with belief and the afterlife.

Surah 28 is called Al-Qasas (meaning the story) it has 88 verses. Also a Meccan chapter, so dealing with the Oneness of Allah, rejecting the Prophets and the afterlife.

You will note quite a difference between the Meccan surah's that were revealed during the time of persecution for the Muslims, dealing with idol worship, belief in Allah, punishment and reward from Allah. The Meccan chapters give support to the Muslims, offering strength and assurance. Whereas, after the Islamic state in Medina was established the surah's deal more with social guidance.

Surah 29 is called Al-Ankaboot (meaning the spider) it has 69 verses and is a Meccan surah, so again deals with spiritual matters.

And argue not with the People of the Scripture unless it be in (a way) that is better, save with such of them as do wrong; and say: We believe in that which hath been revealed unto us and revealed unto you; our Allah and your Allah is One, and unto Him we surrender. (29:46)

As Muslims we are instructed to believe the Scriptures that have been revealed but where Sriptures have been changed, misinterpreted or traditional practices counter the teaching of the Quran we should discuss this with followers of those faiths in a pleasant and productive manner.

I am so tired of being told that my faith teaches hatred and violence and has no ethical core. Whenever Islam is discussed people always ask about verses that mention violence, which is fine and understandable but the discussions rarely touch on the majority of verses of peace and ethics, therefore only one side of the Quran is shown.

Ahlan Sadiqi,

Don't worry about it ;\ Those people as Michael Jackson would say "You people are ignorant!" Every religion has it's preaching of hatred and violence..... Everyone has their bad eggs... If those people wish to be blind and not go to the effort of getting the facts, screw um... :D

Salaam MW...I appreciated your citation in this last post concerning poetry being at the roots of the beliefs of the people in the middle east.

This is a significant world wide cultural feature that distinguishes native and indigenous peoples from those who came along later to "civilize and colonize" them all later . The roots of the conjunction of poetic recitation, rhythmic chanting, and ancestor worship was a particularly strong influence upon the ancient peoples of the British Isles and their heritage and traditions before people from the "continent" began to show up and intermingle.

Still lurking, reading, and learning my dear.
Thank you.
flow....:)

wa alfa salaam 17th. Thanks you always make me feel better. :D

Yes Flow the importance of poetry at the time is often forgotten, as is the historical aspects of living in the desert 1400 years ago. In these days of the internet, text messages, mass publishing of books and a majority of the worlds population able to read it is so easy to hold everything up to our standards but of course this is wrong to do.

Thank you for your patience in stiking it out with me thus far. :)

Salaam

Okay gang, where were we before I got snowed under with work? Ah yes.

Surah 30 is called Ar-Rum (meaning The Romans, The Byzantines). There are 60 verses to this Surah.

This chapter deals with the shorsightedness of man, that we think we know so much but in reality know so little. A day will come when Allah raises us up and all our deeds must be accounted for.

There are a few verses I would like to share with you even though they are not so relevant to our discussion (is it a discussion when it is just me talking?! :eek:):
And among His Signs is this, that He created for you mates from among yourselves, that ye may dwell in tranquillity with them, and He has put love and mercy between your (hearts): verily in that are Signs for those who reflect. (30.21)

Now what were we saying in the 'beat' your wife thread? ;)

So give to the kinsman his due, and to the needy, and to the wayfarer. That is best for those who seek Allah's Countenance. And such are they who are successful. (30:38)

That which ye give in usury in order that it may increase on (other) people's property hath no increase with Allah; but that which ye give in charity, seeking Allah's Countenance, hath increase manifold. (30:39)

It is sad that we are told to be so charitable yet have become so materialistic and selfish. :(

For verily thou (Muhammad) canst not make the dead to hear, nor canst thou make the deaf to hear the call when they have turned to flee. (30:52)

Nor canst thou guide the blind out of their error. Thou canst make none to hear save those who believe in Our revelations so that they surrender (unto Him). (30:53)

So what exactly would be the point in forced conversions if Allah Himself says that some people will never turn to belief?

In that day their excuses will not profit those who did injustice, nor will they be allowed to make amends. (30:57)

This is speaking of the Day of Resurrection, we should think about this every day as when the time comes it will be too late to say oops sorry.

Surah 31 is called Luqman (it is the name of the Sage Luqman) and had 34 verses.

This Surah is believed to have been revealed earlier on in the Meccan period, when young people were turning to Islam but this was causing major problems within their families. The Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) had been teaching about the respect and care we should show to our parents and of course the young were getting confused as their parents were pagans and encouraging/demanding that their children return to the faith of the pagans.

This Surah talks of Luqman the Sage, who lived before the time of the Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) and was greatly talked about by orators and poets. The Prophet used this story to show that his teachings were not a new idea but that the teachings of Allah had been taught by Prophets and Sages for a long time in the Arabian area. Luqman was used as an example because his name and teachings were well known to Arabs of the time.

And (remember) when Luqman said unto his son, when he was exhorting him: O my dear son! Ascribe no partners unto Allah. Lo! to ascribe partners (unto Him) is a tremendous wrong (31:13)

And We have enjoined upon man concerning his partners - His mother beareth him in weakness upon weakness, and his weaning is in two years - Give thanks unto Me and unto thy parents. Unto Me is the journeying. (31:14)

But if they strive with thee to make thee ascribe unto Me as partner that of which thou hast no knowledge, then obey them not. Consort with them in the world kindly, and follow the path of him who repenteth unto Me. Then unto Me will be your return, and I shall tell you what ye used to do (31:15)

So the young converts were instructed to be kind to their parents but to not follow their ways of faith.

O my dear son! Lo! though it be but the weight of a grain of mustard-seed, and though it be in a rock, or in the heavens, or in the earth, Allah will bring it forth. Lo! Allah is Subtile, Aware. (31:16)

O my dear son! Establish worship and enjoin kindness and forbid iniquity, and persevere whatever may befall thee. Lo! that is of the steadfast heart of things. (31:17)

Turn not thy cheek in scorn toward folk, nor walk with pertness in the land. Lo! Allah loveth not each braggart boaster. (31:18)

Be modest in thy bearing and subdue thy voice. Lo! the harshest of all voices is the voice of the ass. (31:19)

We cannot imagine how difficult it would have been, having been brought up to believe that the tribe was everything and all loyalty belonged to them, to then turn your back on the tribe and their chosen god. Yet even in these difficult times Muslims were told to be humble and kind to their people.

The Surah goes on to tell us to look around us for the proof of Allah. Nature is the only proof we need of the existence of Allah and if we look for long enough we surely cannot fail to see that proof.

And so she's back, from out of space ...la, la, la

Okay so I wasn't in space but having got my business started and got myself back home to Egypt, equipped with broadband (hurray Egypt has joined the 20th century at last (no not a typing error, I meant 20th)) I am ready to start furiously posting again.

Where were we before life so rudely interrupted me? Ah yes...

Surah 32 is alled as-sajda (meaning prostration or worship) it has 30 verses and was revealed in the Meccan period. This chapter deals with the Day of Judgement and Allah's signs to mankind. Remember that the Pagans of Mecca did not believe in an afterlife and here comes some chap declaring that after they are dead Allah will resurrect them and call them to account for their every deed - pretty dangerous and unusual talk. We are told here to use our judgement and common sense to look at the world and consider whether it could come from anywhere but Allah?

Surah 33 is called al-ahzab (meaning the clans), it has 73 verses and was revealed in Medinah. We know the timing of the revelation because the chapter deals with the Battle of the Trench and the marriage of the Prophet to the divorced wife of his adoped son.

Being a Medinah chapter it opens very quickly with social instructions:
Allah hath not assigned unto any man two hearts within his body, nor hath He made your wives whom ye declare (to be your mothers) your mothers, nor hath He made those whom ye claim (to be your sons) your sons. This is but a saying of your mouths. But Allah saith the truth and He showeth the way. (33:4)

The reference to the mother is talking about a pre Islamic practice of divorce called Zihar (literally translated to 'likening to the back'). It was a very cruel practice, as divorce was final with the simple declaration by the husband that a wife he was bored with was 'like his mothers back' (ie her body and therefore forbidden to him). It was cruel because the woman was not allowed to remarry and must remain in her former husbands household without any rights, basically as a slave. The above verse forbids this practice.

It also deals with the issue of adopted sons. As we in modern day society have decided that an adopted child has a right to know who their real parents are, so Islam declared this 1400 years ago. Adoption is encouraged in Islam but Allah tells us that an adopted child is not our real child, no matter how close you are to an adopted child they do not carry your DNA. As can be seen from the next verse:

Proclaim their real parentage. That will be more equitable in the sight of Allah. And if ye know not their fathers, then (they are) your brethren in the faith, and your clients. And there is no sin for you in the mistakes that ye make unintentionally, but what your hearts purpose (that will be a sin for you). Allah is ever Forgiving, Merciful. (33:5)

There are a few issues where our 'civilised west' is taking rather a long time to catch up. I believe it has only been in the last decade that our countries have decided that adopted children have the right to know who their parents are.

The chapter then discusses the hypocrites that betrayed the Muslims in Medinah.

O ye wives of the Prophet! Whosoever of you committeth manifest lewdness, the punishment for her will be doubled, and that is easy for Allah (33:30)

Gosh that sounds a bit harsh - why should they receive a different punishment to other women?

And whosoever of you is submissive unto Allah and His messenger and doeth right, We shall give her her reward twice over, and We have prepared for her a rich provision. (33:31)

So why the difference?

O ye wives of the Prophet! Ye are not like any other women. If ye keep your duty (to Allah), then be not soft of speech, lest he in whose heart is a disease aspire (to you), but utter customary speech. (33:32)

I have talked before about the fact that on two occasions rumours about the wives of the Prophet made a great deal of trouble within the Muslim community. It was also very stressful for the Prophet who had the enemy army camped at the city gates, so perhaps had other things to worry about!!

These verses therefore instruct the wives of the Prophet that they must behave in such ways that do not permit such rumours.

And stay in your houses. Bedizen not yourselves with the bedizenment of the Time of Ignorance. Be regular in prayer, and pay the poor-due, and obey Allah and His messenger. Allah's wish is but to remove uncleanness far from you, O Folk of the Household, and cleanse you with a thorough cleansing (33:33)

The above verse is used by people like the Taliban to virtually imprison women in their houses but as you can see the preceeding verse is specifically speaking to the wives of the Prophet, not all Muslim women. Of course they say if it was the right thing for the wives of the Prophet to do then all women should follow their example - WHY? If Allah wanted all women to remain in their houses He could simply have said so!

Lo! men who surrender unto Allah, and women who surrender, and men who believe and women who believe, and men who obey and women who obey, and men who speak the truth and women who speak the truth, and men who persevere (in righteousness) and women who persevere, and men who are humble and women who are humble, and men who give alms and women who give alms, and men who fast and women who fast, and men who guard their modesty and women who guard (their modesty), and men who remember Allah much and women who remember - Allah hath prepared for them forgiveness and a vast reward. (33:5)

I often hear Islam discussed as though it is a religion for men and women are just tagged on - this is just how certain men want it to be. You can see from the above that Alh is speaking very clearly to both men and women equally.

And when thou saidst unto him on whom Allah hath conferred favour and thou hast conferred favour: Keep thy wife to thyself, and fear Allah. And thou didst hide in thy mind that which Allah was to bring to light, and thou didst fear mankind whereas Allah hath a better right that thou shouldst fear Him. So when Zeyd had performed that necessary formality (of divorce) from her, We gave her unto thee in marriage, so that (henceforth) there may be no sin for believers in respect of wives of their adopted sons, when the latter have performed the necessary formality (of release) from them. The commandment of Allah must be fulfilled. (33:37)

I have read the most awful suggestions about the marriage of the Prophet to Zainab (the divorced wife of his adopted son). Some people suggest that the Prophet coveted Zainab in the most letcherous ways and forced his son to divorce her in order to marry her himself.

Yusufali translates the portion in bold as follows:

"Retain thou (in wedlock) thy wife, and fear Allah."

His adopted son was actually told not to divorce her but retain her in marriage. When Zaid did divorce her, Allah instructed the Prophet to marry her in order to set a precedent.

There is no reproach for the Prophet in that which Allah maketh his due. That was Allah's way with those who passed away of old - and the commandment of Allah is certain destiny - (33:38)

Why does Allah then go on to explain Himself? Was it to make excuses for the Prophet? NO. The marriage went totally against the customs of the time and probably felt uncomfortable for the Prophet and would certainly have seemed odd to the followers.

Their salutation on the day when they shall meet Him will be: Peace. And He hath prepared for them a goodly recompense. (33:44)

This verse always screams out to me, I love it so much. On the Day of Judgement we SHALL meet our maker and our salutation to Him will be Peace (not war or power or money or I was right and they were wrong or we are Muslims) simply Peace.

O ye who believe! If ye wed believing women and divorce them before ye have touched them, then there is no period that ye should reckon. But content them and release them handsomely. (33:49)

Another demonstration that women were given rights and respect by Islam. So basically pay them compensation and release them kindly.

O Prophet! Tell thy wives and thy daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks close round them (when they go abroad). That will be better, so that they may be recognised and not annoyed. Allah is ever Forgiving, Merciful. (33:59)

Why do we dress the way we do? So we are recognised as Muslim women and not harrassed. You can see in this verse where Allah speaks to all Muslim women not just the wives of the Prophet, the difference is very clear.

اَلسَّلاَمُ عَلَيْكُمْ وَرَحْمَةُ اللهِ وَبَرَكَاتُهُ

I read your posting many time, here and on other topics. You have very good knowledge and wise. You have your own wisdom to convey the beauty of Islam.

Reading your comments is so tidy, fell the world are all in peace. I start thinking that you are an auliya ;)

I have a question that bothering me about the verse below (as you quoted), I am trying to find the answer to many forum already but haven't got the answer yet.

And argue not with the People of the Scripture unless it be in (a way) that is better, save with such of them as do wrong; and say: We believe in that which hath been revealed unto us and revealed unto you; our Allah and your Allah is One, and unto Him we surrender. (29:46)

As Muslims we are instructed to believe the Scriptures that have been revealed but where Scriptures have been changed, misinterpreted or traditional practices counter the teaching of the Quran we should discuss this with followers of those faiths in a pleasant and productive manner.

--------------------------
the People of the Scripture
--------------------------

I am trying to understand what the People of the Scripture that Quran refer to?

a simple definition from tafseer said they are Jews and Christian (Nazareth), some add majusi as the people of the scripture as well. I would like to focus on the Christians (Nazareth) since there are many sect of Christian today.

Could you please help me to identify which/what Christians Quran refer to?

thanks you
PS. English is not my 1st or 2nd language, please excuse me if I made many mistakes to express my thinking and question...

well.. as you know, I've started reading the Quran- spiritually it's not "singing" to me, if that makes sense, I'm not getting any "strange bodily sensations" while I read it like I do with some other religious books, so I don't maybe feel like I connect with the Quran in maybe the same way I would some other texts, but that might just be my programming...

Al Quran with English Translation - Qari Abdul Basit - All Free Download - Quranenglish.com

How about instead of trying to read it, you -listen- to it....? :)

thank you, brother

Actually, Abdul Basit is my favourite "reciter" of the Quran...what an amazing voice.....the sweetiness of the Quran and that of his voice mix together to produce a very relaxing atmosphere where one can feel that his/her inner is absolutely washed from any worries.......

thanks, again...:)

Back