Passings

Hi Juan...Dan was an Illinois boy and I saw him perform in local bars around the college town where I lived back in the day, way before he was "discovered". A great and original talent in his own way.

I heard this a.m. that Alan Parsons has also left this celestial reality. Death seems to pick on younger aged musicians quite prominently. Wonder why that is ? Too much of a good thing maybe ?

flow....;)

I very much enjoy the work of Alan Parsons, I think he was quite the artist in pulling together quite disparate musicians and creating some truly amazing pieces of music. He too will be missed.

They say death comes in threes in the entertainment industry...I wonder who's next?

Thanks for that Flow, you beat me to it. Goodness knows I played with (and destroyed) enough of the toys they made to keep them in business.

Oh, do I miss Frisbie!

I heard today that former chess champion Bobby Fisher has passed.

I knew he was relusive, but I wasn't aware of his anti-American and anti-Israel views. Too bad, such a wasted genius.

STILL love the frisbee and use it. although i get the kids or dogs to fetch it. LOL
I still have a couple limited editions from a few years back, including a glow-in-the-dark. But the legs don't work well for quite some time now, and the shoulder on the throwing arm isn't what it used to be either. Doesn't mean I love the fris any less, I just miss being able to do the things I used to with it.

Not many people know about or understand the Spanish Civil War of the late 1930's. Suffice it to say it's when fascist leader Franco came to power through the imposition of armed violence. Franco's weaponry and tactics were mostly supplied by Nazi Germany and this conflict was the testing ground for Hitler's later assault upon Europe.

The Lincoln Brigade of American volunteers fought on the side of the good guys (if there ever is such a thing in wars) and Ernest Hemmingway also served in the Brigade.

flow....;)

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-wolff23jan23,0,1715556.story?coll=la-home-obituaries

The first article details the life of a reknowned scientist who truly changed the world and our knowledge of it's life systems as a result of his work.

In the second, for those of you who remember The Fugitive as a pretty good film featuring Harrison Ford as Dr. Richard Kimball, and Tommy Lee Jones as Lt. Gerard pursuing him might not remember the TV series which preceeded it in the 1960's.

It was popular in those days because the theme was injustice, grim and implacable pursuit, and the inevitable defeat and punishment of the innocent. Many of us in that era felt those things in real life, and they were not manufactured illusions. They were a reality which led many of us into military service and Vietnam, as if that were some sort of escape from it all.

enjoy...flow....;)
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/05/us/05lederberg.html?ref=science

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-morse5feb05,0,7035479.story

Tao...Very enlightening. Your journalists seem to be, as a whole, much better writers than ours. There is so much of value packed into this article.
Thanks !

flow....;)

This past weekend? He and the other 299,999 people..... (aprox)

Duly noted Alex. It was Flowperson who began this thread as a memorium for those who have made a large impact on greater society. It was in honor of Flow that I thought marking the death of a world renowned heart surgeon was fitting and proper.

Back