The Function Of Belief

Wall images are perfectly compatible with the perceptions people could have during their visions, whether one considers their themes, their techniques and their details. The animals, individualised by means of precise details, seem to float on the walls ; they are disconnected from reality, without any ground line, often without respect of the laws of gravity, in the absence of any framework or surroundings. Elementary geometric signs are always present and recall those seen in the various stages of trance. As to composite creatures and monsters (i.e. animals with corporal attributes pertaining to various species), we know that they belong to the world of shamanic visions. This does not mean that they would have made their paintings and engravings under a state of trance. The visions could be drawn (much) later.

Trying to get into touch with the spirits believed to live inside the caves, on the other side of the veil that the walls constituted between their reality and ours, is a Paleolithic attitude of mind which has left numerous testimonies, particularly the very frequent use of natural reliefs. When one’s mind is full of animal images, a hollow in the rock underlined by a shadow cast by one’s torch or grease lamp will evoke a horse’s back line or the hump of a bison. How then couldn’t one believe that the spirit-animals found in the visions of trance - and that one had expected to find in the other-world which the underground undoubtedly is - are not there on the wall, half emerging through the rock thanks to the magic of the moving light and ready to vanish into it again. In a few lines, they would be made wholly real and their power would then become accessible.

It's hard to imagine the paleolithic mindset. Julian Jaynes proposed that in humans of this period and up to as late as the 8th century BCE, the region of the right brain which corresponds to the speech center in the left brain had it's own independent speech function, but with the cultural evolution of symbolically encoded language the right brain speech function, which would have expressed itself as direct auditory stimulation, or "voices in one's head", along with other early bicameral right brain functions was lost through disuse. For sure the cave artists were pursuing a connection between the waking state and the interior, dream state. Getting as far into the earth's interior as possible to unite with the collective unconscious makes sense.

Chris

Great post Chris, my wife recently read a book on the bicameral mind. When seen side by side with Clare Grave's work on human development it presents an interesting picture. Spiral Dynamics color codes the different levels of human development. If I understand it, the time frame you are outlining would have been a predominately "purple" stage in which magical thinking was the norm.

Kindest Regards, Tao!

I agree there is a difference between intentional and accidental "poisoning." .....
Unless, and this argument demands acknowledgment of a specific point of view that embraces spiritual communion like the Native American Shaman,.....

In other words, it is possible at least from a shamanic point of view that knowledge of what various natural substances could do and how to properly use them were conveyed via that connection with the underlying spiritual commonality.

First time I ever partook of the psilosybin mushroom known here as the "liberty cap" I was a naive 11 year old boy who had never so much as smoked a cigarette. I had no idea what i was playing with nor did I have any knowledge that what I was taking was considered a recreational drug. We picked and consumed them because we came across a younger boy of about 8 who's mother had taught him to go and pick them for her and he told us they were called "magic mushrooms". As I was used to picking field mushrooms, chanterelles, boletus and puffballs on collecting trips with my dad I knew some were poisonous and some were good. An adult would not send her 8yr old out to pick a bad one, so it was perfectly natural for curiosity to grip me/us and to find out "why" they were called "magic mushrooms".

Our normal little clan had 5 members and in my garden shed on a little primus stove we boiled up our first brew. And became supermen. That first night we ran. And we ran. And we ran. At least 10 miles we ran across the hilltops of the Pentlands, the hills that skirt the southern side of Edinburgh. It was the October holiday and the scout camp at Balerno was full of English Scouts. We raided their tuck shop, stealing everything we could carry, and after we had removed it to a safe distance returned to cut the guy ropes of all their tents howling like wolves as we did so. We were invincible. Our energy was boundless. And we were alive in a new and wonderful world of strange hues and shapes that brought the trees and rocks alive in a way we had never seen.

It was so good we tried again the following night but it was not the same experience. Taking mushrooms, we learned fast, is not something you can do every day. For 2 reasons, Exhaustion and tolerance of the active ingredient. But a week later it was just as good as the first night and by that time we had spread the word and there were not 5 of us but over 30. So in that year we had the first of many of what became to be called the "Mushroom Olympics". When I left home, and the neighbourhood, 6 years later it was a well established and much anticipated annual event.

Where we grew up was between two barracks, holding a garrison between them of several 1000 troops. Aside from "borrowing" the assault courses for our Olympics the relationship with the military was extremely bad. A short time before we first discovered mushrooms the Para's, (exactly the same outfit responsible for the atrocity of "Bloody Sunday" in Belfast), had got away with the murder of 2 of our brothers in the community and were, by our community, held to blame for the brutal rape and murder of two local girls in a case that was recently again in the headlines. This was known as "The Worlds End" murder after the last pub the girls were seen alive in, with soldiers, was the Worlds End.
So a group of some 50 of us all off our heads on mushrooms waited for a local Disco full of troops to wind up at a local pub one Saturday night. The half bricks, pick axe handles and other assorted weaponry was assembled and ready, and we waited round the corner for the inappropriately named pub the "Good Companions" to call time and the soldiers to exit on mass. When they did we attacked. They never knew what hit them. It was a bloodbath. Over a dozen cars were written off and torched. Soldiers lay unconscious and bloody all over the car park. We scored a payback.
As an aside it took the Police over an hour to appear, the nearest Police station was 400 yards down the hill. And that regiment was moved within a few weeks from that barrack.

So, what's my point in this stroll down memory lane? Well it is because I have experiential knowledge of what it is to take hallucinogens in a tribal setting. What we did was no different to what tribes have done since the dawn of the human race. And it was not always a search for "spirit" but either Dutch courage or a military advantage depending on how you wish to define it.

Of course it has and continues to be used for more ethereal purposes too. And back to the point we were discussing all the hallucinogens used by man have the same basic effects. Just the same as all varieties of alcoholic beverage will get you drunk in much the same way with much the effects. So I state again that the spiritual dimension that one finds while high is the same no matter where you go. And I maintain that this is an effect of the drug and not proof of access to a world of spirits. But I can understand, intimately understand, why peoples have always thought that it does.

Not all my trips were Olympic events or berserker courage. Some, the solitary ones were very, what you might call, spiritual. And I particularly enjoyed closing my eyes and engaging in a "dream trip". One of the most noticeable effects of a "correct dosage" of mushrooms was the ability to see the living aura of all things. In a woodland in the dead of a winters night, dark as dark gets, this aura was strong enough to allow me to walk by the light of these auras alone. Later in life I discovered this is how cats see all the time. But again my point is you can reduce it all down to natural explanations that require no spiritual invocation. And when you can do that, no matter where, then it is a powerful case against the concept of a spiritual dimension. I have come to see that no matter which area of spiritual belief is espoused as valid there is always but always a more rational natural explanation. You just have to look for it and its usually obvious.

You raised another point, that of misuse or addictive use of substances. I think the massive incidence of this in modern societies is a direct reflection of social isolation. In smaller tight knit groups this behaviour is neither necessary nor tolerated by the wider group. Loneliness leads to the search for oblivion. Its that simple.

Aww the best

Tao

Wow Tao! Great stories!

I haven't the inclination right now to relate my acid and 'shroom adventures, but I sure enjoyed reading yours. We always got freeze dried, ground those nasty tasting buggers up in the coffee grinder, and mixed it with applesauce.

Chris

I have a little pet theory that the broad reason why humans like to get inebriated is precisely to facilitate an immersion with the Larger Thing kinda thing. Drunk driving is a zen experience. Even mundane activities take on a zen -like quality when alcohol is added. Getting sauced puts the adventure back into ordinarily safe, boring activities.

Chris

Tao and Chris...It all reminds me of a certain talented young man from Seattle who asked the cosmic question..."Are you Experienced ?"

flow....:p

Drunk driving is a zen experience.

I’m not sure all those people who have lost loved ones to drunk drivers will agree with this. Drunk driving is dangerous and irresponsible.

Even mundane activities take on a zen -like quality when alcohol is added.
Alcohol impairs the mind-body functioning. Therefore I’m not sure how it can render activities “zen-like”, whether considered mundane or otherwise.

s.

Snoop,

Have you ever been snow skiing? The really cool thing about skiing is that you can get into a state where you have no time to think, and when you get like that, right there on the edge of control just "being" in the moment with no time for forethought, it's very close to a zen experience. One can meditate to transcend, or one can place oneself in a position where the transcendence is automatically demanded by the activities undertaken. I'm suggesting that people get effed up to force themselves into a position of transcendence. To get themselves out of the way so they can experience that sensation of being swept along by forces beyond their control. Driving drunk is a frickin' blast, man! It's stupid and irresponsible, not to mention dangerous, but it's still one of those edge experiences.

Chris

I can agree partially Chris, like taking my bike through the twisties fast enough to grind the pegs. But substances always created a filter, insulating me from the experience. BTW TODAY I HAVE TEN YEARS CLEAN AND SOBER!!!
woo hoo! :)

Awsome Mark!

You're right. Substance abuse winds up choking the life right out of you. Pretty soon you're just going through the motions with no real joy left, all fogged out and hardly able to pay attention. Alcohol releases a person from inhibition. It's interesting how we feel that we need to get ourselves out of the way so that we can be ourselves.

Chris

Inspiration!! I'd say it demands a celebration!! ;)

Grats Paladin, I'm sure its not always been easy.

The only sport I ever truly enjoyed was downhill skiing. But its been a while now since I got piste. :rolleyes:

Thanks guys, it was a long time comin, but I learned a hell of alot along the way.:eek:

Back