Weird things are happening to me, what does it mean?

Excellent post, francis, especially with the detailed info on SP and TLE. I concur that the best thing for the SP is to get to a doctor and have it checked out.

As for craziness, I ask people if they are functional. Like in my case, no doubt some psychologists would say I am crazy for experiencing the world the way I do and having the beliefs I have. But I don't care, because I function fine. I get to work, pay my bills and taxes, take care of my house and animals, have good relationships, etc. I struggle with bouts of depression, but I've learned to recognize them and treat them with extra exercise, writing and art, and getting outside more often.

I always tell people, if you feel uncomfortable about your own thoughts and feelings, go to therapy and work it out. And if you aren't functional, get to a psychologist.

Yeah, it took me a minute to get it too. LOL Must be a British vs. American terminology thing. I can't stand bachelorette parties. I find them boring and embarrassing. And besides, I've never found a guy hotter than my husband. That kind of takes the fun out of going out to see hot guys. :D
Umm, Grey is from Australia...:D

Hi, I'm new and need theories or suggestions or advice or something, or just comments but I can't keep it all locked in my own mind any longer. Any ideas anyone has about what's going on here, from any perspective would be very welcome. First the background; I'm sorry it's long.

I became a Protestant Christian when I was about 12, probably for stupid reasons. Soon though I did proper research into the arguments for it. I was interested in miracles, and used to seek out modern stories of them. Because Jesus said anything asked for in his name would be granted, once when I desperately wanted to escape a situation in school, in a class I did a silent prayer that something would cause that class to be interrupted so that what I feared wouldn't happen. For the first time I managed to force myself to believe it would happen, and felt peaceful afterwards. Some minutes later a fire alarm went of unexpectedly and we had to leave and follow the protocol until the lesson was scheduled to be over. My belief was firmer after that.

A couple of years later I heard of the belief that Old Testament laws should still be kept, such as not eating pork. I had vegetarian ideals by then, but was still eating meat when I was given it for dinner. I asked God to somehow show me if that was true or not. Soon afterwards that same day, I developed a strange hiccup that sounded just like a pig's noise. I know that sounds ridiculous, but I didn't actually make the connection until my mum or sister pointed out that it sounded like one.

These incidents, along with the evidence of Biblical accuracy presented on websites, are what have kept me broadly 'Christian' until now. Then earlier this year, I found some doubts were niggling too much too ignore, and found some Eastern/Oriental Orthodox Christian views of those issues. I found them more plausible than either Protestant or RC views, and from what I could tell online, the people were much more sensible and secure about their beliefs than any Christians I'd seen before, without being any less serious about them or appearing irrationally selective.

The night I decided to think of myself as more Orthodox than Protestant felt strange, because I knew the Protestant view was that non-protestants would go to Hell. I had been having episodes of sleep paralysis every month for a while, and had decided that in my case, the 'associated experiences' were hallucinatory, not spiritual or demonic, unlike the stories some people tell that can't be explained by hallucinations or scientists' current theories about it. At that point I though mine were just things my part-awake part-asleep brain conjured up. Then that night I had one involving a tall figure I couldn't see from my position, I sensed standing in a 'T' position at my feet, which moved down on top of me, so that a tingling sensation overtook my body as if it was inside me. I heard what I assumed was the being whispering something about something 'in the water'. I had learned to keep quite calm, and it was later when I realised that I'd had no episodes since that I wondered if it had been an angel, ending the attacks as a gesture that my decision was a good one and refering to my concerns about water baptism. This was in June, and I had no more sleep paralysis until November. I couldn't decide whether something was the right thing to do and started to fall asleep with it bothering me. I was woken by the sensations of something suggesting what I had been thinking about in an unpleasant context while paralysed, and supposed I was being warned.

Then no more, until last night. Yesterday I had the biggest crisis of faith ever, as the things that I had been able to explain away in long-winded speculative ways suddenly seemed insurmountable. Earlier that day I researched Hare Krishna beliefs and practices and thought I preferred their attitude to those things, although I couldn't immediately see any empirical reasons for their concrete beliefs, unlike with Christianity. From early this morning I was reminded of the feeling of waking to paralysis and laboured breathing, falling asleep, waking to it again ad nauseum. At least I wasn't aware of other activity around me this time.

What concerns me is that it's as if I'm being encouraged towards Orthodox Christianity; when I adopt it, the SP stops, when I come close to abandoning it, it starts again. Is this God pointing me in the right direction? I really have trouble understanding some of the attitudes of the Christian God, especially in the Old Testament. I can't reconcile them with other things claimed about Him. Or, could there be other supernatural powers at work, messing with me. That one in particular might explain how it seems that all three major Christian denominations along with Islam seem to demonstrate apparent miracles and exorcisms that I can't easily dismiss, despite their significant differences. Am I slightly mad? I actually find this the kindest possibility. Much of the time I'm not enthusiastic about my spirituality and don't think about it, then I'll have bouts lasting no more than a week of being fiercely curious and relishing it. I've been that way the whole time. Perhaps something is happening in my brain chemistry that's affecting both my sense of spiritualism and my tendency to SP, or if the unique combination of emotion surrounding conversion affects SP. I don't know if that would explain though how one time, a conversion experience is followed by a ceasing of it, and another time is followed by its return. I don't know enough about the brain to say, and I don't think anyone does. :confused:

I'd really like a sceptical/atheist perspective as well as every spriritual one possible. Don't be afraid of offending me in any way, please just be honest; I'm scared of what may happen in the night and when I die, and a bit fed up with the whole thing. I'm tired of thinking of alternative explanations only after becoming invested in one or another.

Thanks in advance.
Lol I don't care what religion or faith you choose. But your heart is telling you to get with your creator (the laws are written in every man's heart). If your soul or heart is an empty room, it is in a vaccuum, and nature ahbores a vaccuum, so something is going to come into it. Your subconscious it warning you to find something to fill it before something you don't want, fills it.

Forget faiths, and religions. Get on your knees and ask God to guide you in the direction you are supposed to go. And ask Him to accompany you while you find your way...(very important). Since God is a personal type, He'll be happy to spend time with you.

Here is how personal He is: One night I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord. Many scenes from my life flashed across the sky. In each scene I noticed footprints in the sand. Sometimes there were two sets of footprints, other times there were one set of footprints. This bothered me because I noticed that during the low periods of my life, when I was suffering from anguish, sorrow or defeat, I could see only one set of footprints. So I said to the Lord, "You promised me Lord, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I have noticed that during the most trying periods of my life there have only been one set of footprints in the sand. Why, when I needed you most, you have not been there for me?" The Lord replied, "The times when you have seen only one set of footprints in the sand, is when I carried you." Mary Stevenson

Umm, Grey is from Australia...:D

I know- but I've noticed Australians seem to share a lot of their vocabulary with the British. Whereas we Americans are farther off that course. Australian English seems to be more like British English, whereas American English is kind of off in its own little world. :)

I know- but I've noticed Australians seem to share a lot of their vocabulary with the British. Whereas we Americans are farther off that course. Australian English seems to be more like British English, whereas American English is kind of off in its own little world. :)
Ooooooo you are going to get it. And Grey is on the serving side. (lol)

LOL- I know, I know. It's not like I'm saying the Australians are more like the British than we are. I'm saying the Australians SOUND more like British accents than we do. I happen to love both of their accents and I wish I had one, much more prefereable than the California slight-valley-speak thing I have going on.

I am digging myself a grave, aren't I? :eek:

LOL- I know, I know. It's not like I'm saying the Australians are more like the British than we are. I'm saying the Australians SOUND more like British accents than we do. I happen to love both of their accents and I wish I had one, much more prefereable than the California slight-valley-speak thing I have going on.

I am digging myself a grave, aren't I? :eek:
It's not a "grave" until the first hand full of dirt is thrown on top of you...:D

are you guys talking about me.???? And FYI we dont have an accent YOU LOT DO! lol. Yeah, Q, Im prim and proper. ha. Fair Dinkum (no pom says that). We have our own language. OZ. LOL. I never give it a thought that we would be closer (colloquially) to those poms, but I didnt think we are closer to you yanks either. LOL. Its all good. We all know that you guys wanna come here for holidays and to live, so I cant blame you being just a little bit jealous of our wonderful country. (Im reading too much into it, arent I ). LOL.
Oh, Path, Ive got enought dirt of my own, baby. LOL

LOL- we're talking about you, but only saying good things! :D

Trust me, after the last two months of near-constant rain and 30-40 degree weather, I would LOVE to come spend a little time down under with you in the Australian summer!

Oh, and we all have accents to other people. LOL I'll never forget taking a cruise when I was 17 and finding out I had a "California" accent. :eek: Most American accents, no matter what the region, seem to be more... harsh? sound to me. Gutteral, maybe? Can't quite figure out the descriptive term I want. All I know is most of the English and Aussie accents I hear sound nice to my ears. :)

are you guys talking about me.???? And FYI we dont have an accent YOU LOT DO! lol. Yeah, Q, Im prim and proper. ha. Fair Dinkum (no pom says that). We have our own language. OZ. LOL. I never give it a thought that we would be closer (colloquially) to those poms, but I didnt think we are closer to you yanks either. LOL. Its all good. We all know that you guys wanna come here for holidays and to live, so I cant blame you being just a little bit jealous of our wonderful country. (Im reading too much into it, arent I ). LOL.
Oh, Path, Ive got enought dirt of my own, baby. LOL
I'm from Michigan, wait until you hear my voice...lol

That was a good cover, path, Ill give you that. LOL. Yeah, its funny, that we have accents to other peoples ears. I can usually pikc a canadian from a american. but thats it. I like South African accents. (I practice saying "Im a taxi driver from south Africa" It actually sounds like "Ima tixi drrriva frum Sith Ifrica") well, thats what it sounds liketo me. Say it out loud. It works. lol. I love the accent that jimmy stewart had , whatever that was.

why, whats the difference between a michigan accent and californian.?

LOL, oh boy, where do we start Q?

One of the most obvious is that California has certain grammatically incorrect structures. We say "like" and "all" a lot. They are universal stand ins for a verb such as "said," as in...

I'm like, "CR is such a great place to talk about religion."

or

I'm all, "Greymare's Australian."

They are also fillers in sentences...

I was like standing in line at the grocery store, and this guy in front of me was like totally wearing too much cologne. And I'm all, "Dude, some of us are allergic to that stuff!"

Stereotypical, but the use of "like" and "all" in this way seem to permeate anyone's speech who grows up there. Even if they are like totally college-educated. LOL ;)

Mmm... the hard thing to explain via typing is the inflection of Californians, which is somewhat unique. It's like we tend to speed up certain parts of sentences and slow down others, and emphasize certain parts of speech.

I'll leave Q to explain Michigan... I'll just say that, like southern accents, it's pretty distinctive and sounds quite different from West coast pronunciation.

One of the most obvious is that California has certain grammatically incorrect structures. We say "like" and "all" a lot. They are universal stand ins for a verb such as "said," as in...

I'm like, "CR is such a great place to talk about religion."
I'm all, "Greymare's Australian."

They are also fillers in sentences...

I was like standing in line at the grocery store, and this guy in front of me was like totally wearing too much cologne. And I'm all, "Dude, some of us are allergic to that stuff!"

Mmm... the hard thing to explain via typing is the inflection of Californians, which is somewhat unique. It's like we tend to speed up certain parts of sentences and slow down others, and emphasize certain parts of speech.

Oh are you serious PathOfOne? Do they write like this as well? We get that here as well. So it came all the way here from California. Someone must be watching too many American comedies or somehow we're being infiltrated by invisible Californians.:mad:

It's a disease. Sorry grey.:eek:

But I'm all serious. It's like, they're all, this is our country. Now it's like I'm all scared and Californian. It's like it's a kind of cultural Californication. I'm all in bed sleeping with the Americanisms.

LOL I'll never forget taking a cruise when I was 17 and finding out I had a "California" accent. :eek: Most American accents, no matter what the region, seem to be more... harsh? sound to me. Gutteral, maybe? Can't quite figure out the descriptive term I want. All I know is most of the English and Aussie accents I hear sound nice to my ears. :)

Hey Path, with regards to your description, is it like, really an accent? Isn't it more like all mannerisms? .....and it's like I'd think that all over time that the Californian speak would be like all spread over the country?.....so that Americans all over the country would be all like, not able to like, recognise the mannerisms, because they are like all doing it? Am I all like getting this, like wrong? Does it like, sound all funny because like, I don't come from California or even the U.S.?

I can imagine like, myself going there because like, I'm all good at talking and can like talk like they do. I'm all thinking this is like, all very funny.:D

Hey you Californians. We can like, all copy your so-called "accent."

I'm totally, like, rolling on the floor laughing.

In all seriousness, I don't write that way, but unfortunately I have had freshmen in my college classes that did. They had some catching up to do with proper grammar. Netspeak is also infiltrating people's writing habits, which is a disturbing trend. We don't want our scientific journals to end up with horrible grammar.

As for the accent, I must sound as if I have an accent to other people, since they could place it as West coast, and specifically Californian. However, it's generally difficult to explain what one's own accent is. My speech sounds like standard English to me, and I had to unlearn pronouncing many things "correctly," for some competitive speech monologues I did in high school in order to have a British accent.

The really distinctive U.S. accents (to me) are New York, the Wisconsin-Michigan area (which seems to have some influence from Dutch? maybe or Norwegian?), and the South. Maine sounds a bit distinctive too, now that I think about it. I have a lot of relatives in the Midwest and they seem to sound pretty much like all the people I know in the Southwest and West coast, except that Californians have these speech patterns that are odd. But even those seem to be more localized, really, because some of the really rural inland areas of California sound just like the rest of the Southwest.

Maybe it is a surfer culture thing, and that is why you get it in Australia? (Or maybe its just CA's big world export of Baywatch? LOL) :D

I can now say, though, I am not a Californian any longer. LOL I am a Washingtonian. :p Well, half the people I meet here are from California, and more than half the people I met in California were from elsewhere... so I don't know that any of it really amounts to much. Big country, lots of regional differences, and everyone seems to move around a lot.

Yeah, it took me a minute to get it too. LOL Must be a British vs. American terminology thing.

Well, seeing it is our language.... I guess we win. :D

California accent? Is that happy yanky accent that makes you want to grab the person by the throat and crush your finger tips right through until they are tightly clenched in your palm as fists? So no longer are you strangling the person to death, you simply have to handfuls of flesh?

Oh wow super!! YAY it's like.... soooooo awesome to seeeeeeeeee you!! eeee hehe ehehehehehe yay!!! I am just like so super psyched toooo dayy..... *Arrrgh arrgh I can't like, breath,, like arrghghh I'm not so super.... ararghghghethghe NOOO PLEASSS ARGGGH NOOOOOOOO*

Oh that is therapy lol.....

Back