how you can make Jews accept Trinity ?

Hado

Reaction score
hello all
I was wondering how can Jews Accept Trinity when no where in hebrew testament God says anything about Concept of Trinity !
imagine that we back to Jesus time and one day we hear a man says that He is God !we open our Scripture to check if God says that Messiah is God or says anything about Trinity but we never find anything about that !
that what Jews always told me when I ask them why to do not beleive in Jesus as Messiah and they are right about that !
what you think about that and how you can prove that Trinity exist in Hebrew testament
with best regards..

I don't think it's about making a person accept something. I think it's about learning to live together and respect the beauty of each other's traditions.

Jews don't believe in the trinity and never will.

However, I think that people of various faith groups can have mutual respect.

Shalom

Peace,

I agree with Cooper. I think for each person, whether he/she is a Jew, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, etc. believing in Jesus' 'divinity' is individual. We cannot expect a religious group to suddenly change their mind.

Coming from a Muslim, but who still must believe the OT and NT to be one Book, the Holy Bible (Revelation from One True Lord), I personally find the contradictions between the two parts of the book simply because the current NT terminology does not agree with monotheistic stance of the OT.

The way I rationalize it is that the Bible has been changed (verses deleted, corrupted,changed--as many Christian leaders have admitted themselves, including the Vatican). Also, the Holy Qur'an as the extension and the Warning to the humanity, states that the Bible has been changed. That is why I think the New Testament deviates in some ways fromt he Old Testament.
Also, I think that God spoke through Jesus pbuh, since he was the Messiah and one of the most important humans on this Earth. As so, perhaps some of the statements he made perhaps were meant to be understood as coming from God Himself, but through Jesus pbuh. Something similar to what Prophet Muhammad pbuh experienced: he would hear/have a vision, and would recite loud what was commmanded he says. Except that Muhammad pbuh made it very clear that the words are not his own (out of his own imagination). Maybe Jesus' followers at the time did not bother to emphasize the distinction and that is why the confusion between Christians and Jews. After all, didn't Jesus say that he did not come to make new laws, but to confirm what was already there and to call the lost back to God. I do not think he meant to create a new religion, and certainly as a person growing up in Jewish community to claim divinity would be an open blasphemy, no?

Something similar to what Prophet Muhammad pbuh experienced: he would hear/have a vision, and would recite loud what was commmanded he says. Except that Muhammad pbuh made it very clear that the words are not his own (out of his own imagination). Maybe Jesus' followers at the time did not bother to emphasize the distinction and that is why the confusion between Christians and Jews.
Peace to you also, Amica. These are from John 14:
The things that I say, I speak not from my own mind. But my Father lives in me and he does the work...The word which you hear is not my word. It is my Father's word. He is the one who sent me.

I do not think (Jesus) meant to create a new religion, and certainly as a person growing up in Jewish community to claim divinity would be an open blasphemy, no?
As I understand it, the Jewish views is that the soul is actually a part of G-d. That is to say, it is the part of G-d that has a presence in this realm. When Jesus says "my Father lives in me," this would appear to be compatible with the Jewish view.

Psalms 82:1-8 God standeth in the congregation of the mighty; he judgeth among the gods. How long will ye judge unjustly, and accept the persons of the wicked? Selah. Defend the poor and fatherless: do justice to the afflicted and needy. Deliver the poor and needy: rid them out of the hand of the wicked. They know not, neither will they understand; they walk on in darkness: all the foundations of the earth are out of course. I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High. But ye shall die like men, and fall like one of the princes. Arise, O God, judge the earth: for thou shalt inherit all nations.

You can't make Jews accept the Trinity but you can share with them evidences from the Old Testament which suggest plurality within the Godhead:
"Let us make man in Our image" (Gen 1:26)
"Behold the man has become like one of Us" (Gen 3:22)
"Come, let Us go down" (Gen 11:7)
"And now the Lord God and His Spirit have sent Me" (Isa 48:16)
"I have put My Spirit upon Him; He will bring forth justice to the Gentiles" (Isa 42:1)

Kindest regards, kf123, and welcome to CR!

Actually, I think the Jews are well aware of the multiple "faces" if you will of G-d. In fact, I believe I have learned more about this aspect from our resident Jews here than I have from any Christian source.

I will not claim to speak for Jews, but in my understanding subject to correction, the multiple *faces* of G-d encompass far more than simply Father-Son, but also Mother-Daughter, Husband-Wife, Creator-Destroyer, and a whole lot of other interesting and encompassing concepts.

Welcome aboard, enjoy your stay here at CR! :)

You shouldn't make any one accept anything... Show them, but never attempt to make someone believe something... That's bad policy.

I have to agree with Alex P.

I'm strictly monotheist, as Jews are, but I'm not going to (and can't) force anyone to believe something.

they're not jews, they're christians.
That of course contradicts the jews that say they are also christian because of their belief that God has revealed himself in three persons, yet also know their genealogy and their traditions and hold to them as strongly as they hold on to their belief in that God has redeemed them through grace.

The current discussion thread about trinity is twenty three pages long. It is true that we Christians have tried in the past to make Jews believe in the trinity, but maybe we didn't really understand Judiasm very well at the time. Actually, Judaism is a continual subject of debate. Some major points of only one God is that there is one decision maker, one planner, promises that will be kept, and that both reality and morality are meaningful.

That of course contradicts the jews that say they are also christian because of their belief that God has revealed himself in three persons, yet also know their genealogy and their traditions and hold to them as strongly as they hold on to their belief in that God has redeemed them through grace.

BF - that is because if you're jewish, according to our way of looking at things, you will always be jewish, there's no way to remove that - it would be like stopping being black; impossible, even if you hated everything about it and didn't identify with it at all. so if they are halakhically jewish (ie have jewish mothers) they are jewish. however, technically, what they are are apostates and heretics - and can no longer be considered part of a prayer quorum, as they have transgressed several of the axiomatic beliefs of judaism. one should avoid contact with such people, even more so since they seek specifically to convince jews that jesus was the messiah, which as far as we're concerned, he wasn't. they do not observe the halakhah and they do not respect rabbinic authority and they seek to cause division in the community. worst of all, they're liars. they are funded by christian evangelist groups whose agenda is to convert us. it happened to me not a week ago on my way into work, i was confronted by a group of plushbottomed yahoos wearing "jesus made me kosher" t-shirts. disgusting. how dare these people try and convert us? how dare they suggest that proper jews are not kosher? how dare they claim to "hold onto" their genealogy and traditions if they DON'T KEEP THEM? who the hell do these people think they are? i have few words for how revolting i find their tactics.

b'shalom

bananabrain

BF - that is because if you're jewish, according to our way of looking at things, you will always be jewish, there's no way to remove that - it would be like stopping being black; impossible, even if you hated everything about it and didn't identify with it at all. so if they are halakhically jewish (ie have jewish mothers) they are jewish.

b'shalom

bananabrain
If this is he bottom line then no one can then ever "become" jewish.... correct?

tao,

of course people can convert to judaism, but in the case of a convert, if they subsequently become a member of "jews for jesus", for example, the validity of their conversion would be called into question and almost certainly revoked by the beth din that administered it. it is only people who are born into it that have no way to leave.

b'shalom

bananabrain

tao,

of course people can convert to judaism, but in the case of a convert, if they subsequently become a member of "jews for jesus", for example, the validity of their conversion would be called into question and almost certainly revoked by the beth din that administered it. it is only people who are born into it that have no way to leave.

b'shalom

bananabrain

So you are saying someone converting to Judaism is a true Jew and would be considered as such by all other Jews? Would their children be considered Jewish forever more?

tao

So you are saying someone converting to Judaism is a true Jew and would be considered as such by all other Jews? Would their children be considered Jewish forever more?
that's how it's *supposed* to work. i'm not going to pretend it is perfect or it always works - some jews can be, in my opinion, quite racist about it. ironically enough this tends, in my experience at least, to be the people who are least picky about converts. personally, i think if you have gone through a great deal to be jewish, it is hardly fair to then turn around and say, oh, but you're not good enough to marry my son/daughter. that's just not on. that is kind of why conversion ought to take a long enough time to allow you to have what is, in essence, an artificially accelerated jewish "upbringing". that will allow you to "pass", to show up on people's "jewdar" (i know, odd, isn't it) to not stand out as "hmm, something a bit weird about that chap". it is not so much a science as it is an art. have you seen that TV show where people have to pass themselves off as something they're not? it's the same principle, you have to know enough for the tacit knowledge to be managed as effectively as the explicit stuff. the problem happens if it isn't done properly.

did you see that bbc documentary "jews" the other night? it's probably on iplayer, but it was about the legacy of the holocaust to the 2nd generation (a subject with which i am quite familiar given my in-laws) but there was this couple where the husband had found out his father was a jewish holocaust survivor quite late in life and then converted, but when the documentary maker asked him what he knew about judaism, he said, well, i know how to make the blessing over bread, then he trotted out this stumbling, mispronounced blessing, it was just embarrassing - this is a basic thing that a child of 3 can do. he was not a stupid man, he was quite capable of learning whatever he needed to learn, but in a case like that, i would have to seriously question who the hell thought that was a proper conversion. i know quite a few converts and i think this sort of thing insults the hard work and heartache they have to go through.

furthermore, there are political situations - to my immense frustration, sadness and anger, some rabbinic authorities have chosen to play power politics with the validity of other authorities' conversions, with the result that some people with children have had their conversions and marriages called into question, in some cases many years after the fact. that sort of thing sends me into an incandescent fury and has caused immense offence, pain and heartbreak, but at least the victims have a great deal of support - and that particular struggle isn't over by a long chalk, not while i draw breath. there is a world of difference between that sort of thing and some person who has converted to judaism either for ulterior [christian] motives (which has apparently happened quite a few times) or a convert who then moves on to the "next thing" - their motivation was obviously not sincere and the authority who authorised it was obviously not stringent enough.

b'shalom

bananabrain

... personally, i think if you have gone through a great deal to be jewish ... jewish "upbringing"... "jewdar" ... a basic thing that a child of 3 can do
the title of this thread cracks me up. If a Jew accepted the Trinity he would be called a christian.

Anywho, Jewish conversion. Gotta take years. As friends of mine indicate when you meet another Jew you know they've gone thru X years of the same holidays, heard the same stories, learned the same information, performed the same tasks growing up. How you can replace all that as an adult is hard for me to fathom.

And then the funny part if a goy recognizes a jew or jewish traits some scream profiling or anti semitism, but as you describe, Jews do the same, knowing 'their kind' by the ways they act and the things they say. Guess it is the same as blacks using the N word but in both cases it seems to me it waters down the validity of a complaint against others.

I've got respect and admiration for the Jewish community, I enjoy Shabot services when I attend and invites to the holy day celebrations in homes. I also feel quite at home in these situations, currently I equate it to an ancestral comfort, like staying at grandma's it isn't my home, but I am accepted and enjoy it there.

the title of this thread cracks me up. If a Jew accepted the Trinity he would be called a christian.
precisely. except, halakhically, he'd still be a jew, albeit an apostate, unless he were a convert, in which case his conversion would probably be revoked. that's my point.

And then the funny part if a goy recognizes a jew or jewish traits some scream profiling or anti semitism, but as you describe, Jews do the same, knowing 'their kind' by the ways they act and the things they say.
i think the point is that it's a bit like humour, it's different when it's one of the group that makes the joke. the other case is when you have code words that obviously mean something else. in the case of jews, you will generally read in the paper something along the lines of "north london businessman" - that's code for jewish. like "lifelong bachelor" in an obituary = code for gay. as for "jewdar", it's a bit like "gaydar". i understand criminals have something similar, not that i'm drawing any comparisons, you understand. as for black people, apparently they also have something quite similar:

I Can Instantly Tell Whether Someone Is African-American With My Amazing 'Blackdar' | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

b'shalom

bananabrain

Back