What Is Your Greatest Fear?

I'm okay with an easy going pace, just not stagnation.

On a serious note I have tried to think about what I fear but draw a blank for myself. There are people I should, reasonably, fear but I do not. I have no phobias about choking, drowning, burning, suffocating or anything else. But I do have fears for other people and for humanity as a whole. I fear we are on the edge of the precipice as far as sustainability of resources and population explosion collide. I cannot predict how that will pan out and that scares me. I do not fear climate change for the survival of mankind, but I do fear its impact on the poorest and most vulnerable people. And I fear the spread of Islam, such ideology is in direct conflict with the values of freedom I believe in. And I fear a real crunch point between the west and Islamic world will go nuclear or biological. Bio warfare is probably my greatest fear.

tao

Tao, while I do not fear these things for myself, I share your worries about humanity as a whole. I know I'm probably an odd one in your mind, what with the visions and dreams and whatever... but I have a very, very strong feeling that I don't have long before a big change occurs here. I just hope what happens is gentler than what I've seen in dreams since I was a kid. I feel like I've lived through the "end of the world as we know it" enough. I don't want to see that kind of suffering in real life, too.

I used to never, ever feel any anxiety about heights or flying. I've flown a ton ever since I was a kid shuttling back and forth between mom and dad. I grew up rock climbing in Yosemite on huge granite walls.

I notice occasional anxiety now. I just shove it aside. My job depends on flying and I like heights even if they do make me feel a bit anxious. The views are incredible. So the fear just gets shoved aside.

Yep, I agree with you on that one Path, and that is exactly how I handle it too! Your job sounds cool!

I did have a severe anxiety attack on an old wooden roller coaster a couple of years back......I stay away from those permanently. I like the newer ones, smoother ride! lol

God Bless and thank you
Ian

Tao, while I do not fear these things for myself, I share your worries about humanity as a whole. I know I'm probably an odd one in your mind, what with the visions and dreams and whatever... but I have a very, very strong feeling that I don't have long before a big change occurs here. I just hope what happens is gentler than what I've seen in dreams since I was a kid. I feel like I've lived through the "end of the world as we know it" enough. I don't want to see that kind of suffering in real life, too.

You odd!! I suppose being well balanced, fair minded and totally non partisan is a bit odd these days. We need a lot more odd people!!

I tend to keep it somewhere in my mind that mankind has a long long history of sensing "the end of the world is nigh". So I do try to balance my foreboding. That said it does seem inevitable that resources are going to run out and conflict with Islam is equally inevitable. I am glad I have been spared any visions of this and I also hope that it is not going to reach the catastrophic proportions that are clearly possible, even probable. Perhaps one of the reasons I can appear intolerant of JW's and fundys and, of course, Islam is that they are all preaching that Armageddon is something to look forward to. To me that is plainly sick, twisted and dangerous. That there are so many people out there potentially scheming to these ends gives me hives, makes my skin crawl. I think what really has turned me away from religion is the divisiveness that seems inherent in it. More than ever mankind has the means to pull together to face these challenges but self interest, in large part sanctioned by religions, still holds the reigns. And as things get tougher the desperate will be easier and easier game for the liars promising miracles. So in some way I feel these past few decades have been the greatest missed opportunity in history. And i think religion is patently failing to serve mankind's best interests.

tao

well Ian, to be perfectly honest, i dont have any fears.

I used to have a few, real honest to god scared stiff fears.

Those I have faced, some I have not and for one reason or another I am not scared any more. I share worries of my planet, my family and my friends but nothing like the fears I use to have.

I lived a long time in fear of my life on a daily basis, and now maybe, because I dont live like that anymore, im not actually afraid of anything i can put my finger on. (LOL)

Oh sure, i get jumpy and frightened if a spider jumps out at me etc, but these are only momentary.

So, no nothing is an actual fear anymore, an exciting challenge, a new possibility, perhaps.

I try to turn the sh-t in life upside down. (but thats just me..)

Every day I wake up is a beautiful day........

Hospitals, Operations etc.
Loved one's passing away.
Big, fat, hairy spiders.
Heights.
My temper!
Drowning (I almost drowned in the sea as a kid)
Fear for mankind and it's future.

lol... In certain situations where say one of your childrens lives was at risk... Say an armed robber? You wouldn't be inflicted by fear?

that is hardly the same thing.
Actually fear and anger were my emotions when my boys lives were in danger, more anger than fear tho.

but an actual phobia, no. sorry, nothing comes to mind

Well, this is a bad time for tragedies happening anytime soon for my parents or siblings. My fear is that anything else tragic will happen anytime soon. Now is definitely not the time.

Hospitals, Operations etc.
Loved one's passing away.
Big, fat, hairy spiders.
Heights.
My temper!
Drowning (I almost drowned in the sea as a kid)
Fear for mankind and it's future.

Nice to meet you Penguin! *Extending hand to shake*

Yes, operations can be a scary thing, not hospitals as I consider them places that can find out what is wrong with you physically even though that is where the operation has taken place....they do go hand in hand.

Loved one's passing away, I am happy for them!! As they will now be healed, whole and happy. They will always have a place in my heart, it is just that I will physically miss them. But, I know spiritually they are with me watching me, laughing at me and helping me to do the right things in life.

WOW!!! I know what you mean about those big, fat hairy spiders!!! They look like they could be a player two when playing a video game.....there was one so big that when I went to suck it up in the vacuum cleaner that is was holding on to the nozzle!! After, finally succeeding in sucking it up, I didn't go into the basement for 3 whole days to empty the vacuum cleaner (as it is bagless)!!! Dang that was scary!

Heights a little, but I try to overlook it and admire the scenery.....if I fall...I pray that I will die before I hit, but then again the pain would be so enormous that it probably wouldn't even phase me.

Ah, yes temper! I have a nasty one also......so bad that I will cut my nose of to spite my face, just to get my point across! Nasty temper must be from the German Italian mixture! lol

I am glad that you did not drown and that you are here with us today! Have you taken swimming lessons since then?

Fear of mankind and it's future, I believe that one has been a worry since the beginning and we are still here.........a little bit more crowded, polluted and the enormous consumption of resources.

Thank you penquin for replying to my post, and I do apoloigize for not responding to you sooner.

God Bless
Ian

Well, this is a bad time for tragedies happening anytime soon for my parents or siblings. My fear is that anything else tragic will happen anytime soon. Now is definitely not the time.

It is nice to meet you Dream, *extending hand to shake*

I do understand where you are coming from. But, there is never a good time for tragedy to point it's ugly finger at anyone.

Thank you for replying to my post,
God Bless
Ian

Fears are like a "price" Everyone has one...
Interesting...

Now one of the backronyms (creating an acronmym backwards from an existing word) is False Expectations Appearing Real.

Fear I agree we all experience fear, or trepidation, or anxiety in certain situations. Mostly because we haven't expereinced it before and don't know the outcome. ie my fear center is activated on a roller coaster ride...the first time...the second time..I just get the thrill...the more times I do it that reduces as well.

But to have a Fear that everyone has, is to me worrying about the future, we don't all have to worry, there are plenty out there that worry so much so often that a few of us don't have to.

...I have fears.... But no greatest fear... Example I have a fear of bodies of water... What am I doing to get over it? Anything but get in it.. :) I will forever avoid water.
How ironic. I would live underwater, if I could. Since I can't, I do the next best thing, which is to log thousands of hours a year underwater, yet, I fear drowning.

Part of my job is that of a firefighter. I've been in some doozies, but I fear burning.

My greatest fear is not meeting God, but what he will say when I do meet him on that final day. Will I have made the grade, or did I waste what he gave me?

My greatest fear is not meeting God, but what he will say when I do meet him on that final day. Will I have made the grade, or did I waste what he gave me?

Ah, similar to my greatest fear (or, to paraphrase your post: you fear disappointing G!d!) Am I correct? :eek:

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

My greatest fear is that my wife will realize what a sh** I am and divorce me. Of course I won't see it coming. Then my kids will be living with her and some prick that I'll have to pretend to get along with while I live in a hovel and go broke paying child support.

Chris

Back