Occupations

So very true.. Its hard sometimes when you know that someone is having hard times and you cannot do anything for them other than collect money from them they do not have.

I plan to.. and thank you for the wonderful ideas. Ive been thinking of going back to school when my daughter goes to college.. in about a year and a half :) maybe start by taking some internet courses.

I ditto Q's advice, FS. I've had "non-traditional" students in my classes, and it's become quite common. There are need-based and merit-based scholarships and some universities have night programs for folks who are working. There are quite a few folks going through grad school, too- after retirement. College is not just for the young 'uns, and older students make a rich diversity in the classroom, too. They bring an experience and perspective that the 20-somethings just don't have and so far have been some of my best students... because they really want to be there. Their hearts are in their education- they're pursuing their dreams, not just hanging out on mom and dad's dime.

Go for it... the wolves are calling to you! :)

I'm a "professional student" and I am what a friend calls an "information matchmaker" (I match people who have a particular question that they can't find the answer online with people who have access to the information.)

Examples of what I mean: one young lady had questions about a closed society from Russia and I "matched" her with my Russian Studies/Ethnic Studies professor (who got her in contact with a colleague studying that exact society), another young lady who had questions about Islam and I contacted thipps (this was when the Danish newspaper incident first "erupted") and a young man had a few questions concerning spices and their philosophical significance and I got him in contact with the proprietors of a local bulk spice shop that I'm a habitual customer of (they still continue the contact even after four years.)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

That is awesome. I'm keeping you on hand in case I ever can't find my needed info... :D And no, I'm not kidding. LOL

hmmm consider becoming a "shrink" for soldiers...we could use all the help we can get...:eek:

I have had a lot of people tell me I should be a counselor/psychologist of some sort. I've done a lot of counseling, but not as a profession. I just seem to draw people who are hurting to me.

And yes, there is a lot of help needed for the soldiers. It seems the bulk of homeless I meet in Seattle are vets from the first or current Iraq war. A whole lot of PTSD and actual brain damage from head injuries going on there. I have to say that our nation does a pretty bad job of taking care of those who have sacrificed everything they had (and nearly their lives) for this country. It makes me sad. I try to chat with the homeless because most of them are suffering emotionally and mentally, and like all people, they need to feel wanted and like someone cares about them and their stories.

That said, I find two primary barriers to being a counselor:

First, I do not have a degree in psychology. To be licensed, I'd have to go back and get a second MA or PhD. Considering I've already invested 10 years and debt... I kinda need to work now. :eek:

Second, I'm an empath. This works great for counseling people. I honestly think that's why I am often successful with people who have found little relief with "normal" psychologists... even for years. I have some techniques at my disposal that they don't realize I have... and that aren't exactly "professional" but work. Basically, when I happen to counsel someone, it is because I believe God brought that person directly to me, and it is someone I should help with the gifts God gave me. I am not a sciency kind of counselor. I don't use much of my anthropological background, either. I approach them almost entirely from the space of serving Christ in them, and open channels of communication they don't necessarily realize I am opening, so I can heal them as best as I can... or rather, to act as a channel for what I believe is God healing them.

This works fine so long as I only have a few people every so many months I am helping. I cannot fathom doing it 8 hours a day. As an empath, I am subject to feeling their turmoil, their pain, their suffering when I open that door. Healing them can hurt me and takes a lot of time with God to give it over to Him and not keep it in myself.

I guess I could get a degree and do what other psychologists do- use professional methods and take people's money to listen and apply those methods. But to be honest, I don't think it would be as effective, and I'd feel bad for taking cash for something that I feel I'm called to do as a service to God. I also couldn't possibly withstand the amount of suffering to serve all those people as a professional in the ways I typically engage with them.

All together, I look into it every so often... then wake up and smell the coffee (or hot chocolate, in my case)... and stick to the ones God brings me, rather than get another degree and hang out a shingle.

I have nothing against psychology or professional counseling; I have great respect for people who can do it. I just don't think doing it the "normal" way is true to my own gifts and service, and I know I'm way too fragile to take on enough clients to make it financially. I'd be very depressed in short order. Healing anyone/anything- physically or mentally/emotionally- is for me, pretty tiring at best and profoundly painful at worst.

I figure by working on "the systems" that are the root causes of much of suffering on earth, I can uphold my vocation to heal and still protect myself a bit. :eek:

Last edited:
I work for a very quiet company at the moment and tend to be bored at least 5 - 6 hours of the 8 hour day... But, I guess I should be thankful that I have a job.
Start looking through "others' eyes", and you could make a bankroll with your talents...

I ditto Q's advice, FS. I've had "non-traditional" students in my classes, and it's become quite common. There are need-based and merit-based scholarships and some universities have night programs for folks who are working. There are quite a few folks going through grad school, too- after retirement. College is not just for the young 'uns, and older students make a rich diversity in the classroom, too. They bring an experience and perspective that the 20-somethings just don't have and so far have been some of my best students... because they really want to be there. Their hearts are in their education- they're pursuing their dreams, not just hanging out on mom and dad's dime.

Go for it... the wolves are calling to you! :)

That is awesome. I'm keeping you on hand in case I ever can't find my needed info... :D And no, I'm not kidding. LOL

I have had a lot of people tell me I should be a counselor/psychologist of some sort. I've done a lot of counseling, but not as a profession. I just seem to draw people who are hurting to me.

And yes, there is a lot of help needed for the soldiers. It seems the bulk of homeless I meet in Seattle are vets from the first or current Iraq war. A whole lot of PTSD and actual brain damage from head injuries going on there. I have to say that our nation does a pretty bad job of taking care of those who have sacrificed everything they had (and nearly their lives) for this country. It makes me sad. I try to chat with the homeless because most of them are suffering emotionally and mentally, and like all people, they need to feel wanted and like someone cares about them and their stories.

That said, I find two primary barriers to being a counselor:

First, I do not have a degree in psychology. To be licensed, I'd have to go back and get a second MA or PhD. Considering I've already invested 10 years and debt... I kinda need to work now. :eek:

Second, I'm an empath. This works great for counseling people. I honestly think that's why I am often successful with people who have found little relief with "normal" psychologists... even for years. I have some techniques at my disposal that they don't realize I have... and that aren't exactly "professional" but work. Basically, when I happen to counsel someone, it is because I believe God brought that person directly to me, and it is someone I should help with the gifts God gave me. I am not a sciency kind of counselor. I don't use much of my anthropological background, either. I approach them almost entirely from the space of serving Christ in them, and open channels of communication they don't necessarily realize I am opening, so I can heal them as best as I can... or rather, to act as a channel for what I believe is God healing them.

This works fine so long as I only have a few people every so many months I am helping. I cannot fathom doing it 8 hours a day. As an empath, I am subject to feeling their turmoil, their pain, their suffering when I open that door. Healing them can hurt me and takes a lot of time with God to give it over to Him and not keep it in myself.

I guess I could get a degree and do what other psychologists do- use professional methods and take people's money to listen and apply those methods. But to be honest, I don't think it would be as effective, and I'd feel bad for taking cash for something that I feel I'm called to do as a service to God. I also couldn't possibly withstand the amount of suffering to serve all those people as a professional in the ways I typically engage with them.

All together, I look into it every so often... then wake up and smell the coffee (or hot chocolate, in my case)... and stick to the ones God brings me, rather than get another degree and hang out a shingle.

I have nothing against psychology or professional counseling; I have great respect for people who can do it. I just don't think doing it the "normal" way is true to my own gifts and service, and I know I'm way too fragile to take on enough clients to make it financially. I'd be very depressed in short order. Healing anyone/anything- physically or mentally/emotionally- is for me, pretty tiring at best and profoundly painful at worst.

I figure by working on "the systems" that are the root causes of much of suffering on earth, I can uphold my vocation to heal and still protect myself a bit. :eek:
Path, I only know how to do it in the "normal" or average sort of way, because I truly am an average sort of guy. But doing it 40 hours per week even in an average way is very taxing as you're right that our profession seems to have only a very limited ability to alleviate significant suffering. In fact, it's that fact literally that after plying my trade for 30 years tends to wear me down from time to time. The human mind is not like plumbing but to use that analogy, can you imagine a plumber going on a job and most of the time not being able to plug the leaks very well? Of course, the pipe has to want to be fixed.:) That's the state of our profession. The interesting thing about occupations is that for most of us, (me included), how we spend 1/2 of our waking life so seldom allows us to express a lot of "who we are." earl

There are times.. Most recently I woman lost her husband and she was going through chemo.... she needed her car but couldnt afford the payment. That just flat out sucks.

Maybe you could be like Mr. Incredible (who worked in insurance) and try to help the clients find all the loopholes so they could keep their vehicles...

I do to a point but I have to work within the statutes of the law and my companies policies. For example... We can only do deferments after so many car payments have been made.. we can only change due dates 1 per 12 months and if the customer lets the loan roll past 30 days our hands are tied anyways and at that point they dont answer our phone calls and doing sothey hurt themselves. I try to be compassionate even with the ones cussing me out and giving death threats. lol

I do to a point but I have to work within the statutes of the law and my companies policies. For example... We can only do deferments after so many car payments have been made.. we can only change due dates 1 per 12 months and if the customer lets the loan roll past 30 days our hands are tied anyways and at that point they dont answer our phone calls and doing sothey hurt themselves. I try to be compassionate even with the ones cussing me out and giving death threats. lol

Oh, it was a joke and I did not mean to imply that you do anything less than help people as much as you possibly can. That's a really tough job you have. I know how your hands are tied. :eek:

I just love The Incredibles and how Mr. I tries to be a hero in the context of a lousy job with a lousy boss.

Depending on the day/month: researcher/adult ed. lecturer/mental hospital voluntary worker.

s.

Day job, construction manager, commercial construction, some ground up stuff (high rise, malls, suburban office buildings) but mostly demolish interior floors of existing buildings and build the new office space for the next tenant. I used to be the carpenter, then the foreman, then the super, and now sit at a computer...duh.

extra curriculars (income producing).... buy, rehab, rent, real estate (small time)....network marketing (not really, I've discovered I ain't no salesman, but found a method that provides income)... occasional juggler, emcee, stand up or clown, haven't actively pursueed since the kids were born 15 years ago but still do a few gigs a year...

avocations (discretionary reduction of time and/or money)... scouting, camping, IO, poker, board games, child raising, reading, classes...

I have done many things workwise in my life but currently run my dating website and am trying to write a childrens fiction book about religious tolerance.

Running my own internet marketing and web publishing company, and now studying qualifications as an independent financial advisor.

Just ensuring my income potential is diversified. :)

Well If you all watch the news you probably saw that Wamu crashed and was bought by JP Morgan.. WAMU has been my bank for 20 years..

The other one mentioned in the news that is on the verge is my employer and I will probably lose my job because the bank that they are in discussions with is notorious for sending all their work to India *growl*

Well If you all watch the news you probably saw that Wamu crashed and was bought by JP Morgan.. WAMU has been my bank for 20 years..

The other one mentioned in the news that is on the verge is my employer and I will probably lose my job because the bank that they are in discussions with is notorious for sending all their work to India *growl*

Any accident that JP Morgan and the Bush dynasty go back at least 70 years? Who is profiting from all this? If you do a bit of digging you can find out.

tao

Back