what is the holy spirit for you ?

Well, yah know what they say about a lil leaven :)
MEE only takes on board the pure words of truth from the bible , it makes us nice and spiritually clean.

Leaven" is used in the Bible to denote sin or corruption.

Jesus Christ told his disciples: "Watch out for the leaven of the Pharisees and Sadducees," and, "Watch out for the leaven of the Pharisees, which is hypocrisy."

The disciples at first did not understand that Jesus was using a symbolism, but they finally discerned that he was warning them to be on guard against false doctrine and hypocritical practices, "the teaching of the Pharisees and Sadducees," which teaching had a corrupting effect. (Mt 16:6, 11, 12; Lu 12:1)

its good to stick to what the bible REALLY teaches instead:)

Leaven isn't false doctrine. Its just hypocrasy. His disagreement with the leaders wasn't that they were false, but that they held themselves in too much esteem. No one is perfect, you know; but they thought they could be perfected by following the laws. He once said some of them 'strained out the gnat but swallowed a camel', accusing them of worse idolatry than the idolatry they strove to avoid. That is the root problem that lead to their teachings.

Leaven isn't false doctrine. Its just hypocrasy. His disagreement with the leaders wasn't that they were false, but that they held themselves in too much esteem. No one is perfect, you know; but they thought they could be perfected by following the laws. He once said some of them 'strained out the gnat but swallowed a camel', accusing them of worse idolatry than the idolatry they strove to avoid. That is the root problem that lead to their teachings.

Leaven, in Bible times, was a piece of sour dough that had been preserved and that was added to a new batch of dough to make it ferment and form gas bubbles that would leaven or lighten the whole mass.

The fermentation is really a breaking-down process, a corrupting, so that it often causes spoilage.

For this reason it is generally used in the Holy Scriptures in a bad way figuratively.

For instance, the unbelieving Pharisees and Sadducees were purveyors of spiritual leaven, regarding which Jesus told his disciples: "Watch out for the leaven of the Pharisees and Sadducees."

The disciples grasped this to mean the "teaching of the Pharisees and Sadducees." (Matthew 16:6-12)

According to Luke 12:1, Jesus told his disciples: "Watch out for the leaven of the Pharisees, which is hypocrisy."

This doctrinal and ritualistic leaven could also have a political tinge, as represented by the Jewish party followers of King Herod; so that Jesus said: "Keep your eyes open, look out for the leaven of the Pharisees and the leaven of Herod."—Mark 8:15.

I was probably wrong about the meaning of hypocrisy, but I may have been partly right. I did some checking on the word hypocricy and it probably means being two-faced. Perhaps the implication is that the hypocrit's love is insincere, or that they really aren't what they seem. That goes along with the idea of false teachings, so... I am not convinced, though, that it was just 'teachings of the Pharisees' that was meant in Mat 16:12, as if it was merely false teachings that were the problem. The entire system was being overthrown, wasn't it? The word 'didache' or doctrine usually has something to do with the authority to teach in the majority of verses where I've seen it. Pick a few at random and usually most have to do with authority or power of the teacher.

Verses about hypocrisy

Matt. 23:28
Mk. 12:15
Lk. 12:1
Gal. 2:13
1 Tim. 4:2
Jas. 5:12
1 Pet. 2:1

Verses with sincere love and sincere faith, using 'anupokritos'
which is the opposite of hypocrasy.

Rom. 12:9
2 Co. 6:6
1 Tim. 1:5
2 Tim. 1:5
Jas. 3:17
1 Pet. 1:22

Verses with 'didache'
Matt. 7:28 Matt. 16:12 Matt. 22:33 Mk. 1:22 Mk. 1:27 Mk. 4:2 Mk. 11:18 Mk. 12:38 Lk. 4:32 Jn. 7:16 Jn. 7:17 Jn. 18:19 Acts 2:42 Acts 5:28 Acts 13:12 Acts 17:19 Rom. 6:17 Rom. 16:17 1 Co. 14:6 1 Co. 14:26 2 Tim. 4:2 Tit. 1:9
Heb. 6:2 Heb. 13:9 2 Jn. 1:9 2 Jn. 1:10 Rev. 2:14 Rev. 2:15 Rev. 2:24

Hi,
This passage from Isaiah is pretty good. ( some like to say "it's all good")
Isaiah 63: 7-14 from the NASB

7: I shall make mention of the lovingkindnesses of the Lord, the praises of the Lord, According to all that the Lord has granted us, and the goodness toward the house of Israel, which He has granted them according to His compassion and according to the abundance of His lovingkindnesses.
8: For He said, "Surely, they are My people, sons who will not deal falsely." So He became their Savior.
9: In all their affliction He was afflicted, and the angel of His presence saved them; in His love and in His mercy He redeemed them, and He lifted them and carried them all the days of old.
10: But they rebelled and grieved His Holy Spirit; therefore He turned Himself to become their enemy, He fought against them.
11: Then His people remembered the days of old, of Moses. Where is He who brought them up out of the sea with the shepherds of His flock? Where is He who put His Holy Spirit in the midst of them,
12: Who caused His glorious arm to go at the right hand of Moses, Who divided the waters before them to make for Himself an everlasting name,
13: Who led them through the depths? like the horse in the wilderness, they did not stumble;
14: As the cattle which go down into the valley, the Spirit of the Lord gave them rest. So You led Your people, to make for Yourself a glorious name.

Joe

or that they really aren't what they seem.

yes i agree ,they claimed to represent God
but did they? dont think so , and just because they had aurthority did not make what they taught right

what is the holy spirit according to the bible ?

when Jesus Christ began to preach the good news, he applied to himself the words of the prophet Isaiah, saying: "Jehovah’s spirit is upon me, because he anointed me to declare good news to the poor, . . . to preach Jehovah’s acceptable year." (Luke 4:18, 19; Isaiah 61:1, 2)

Yes, Jesus was anointed by holy spirit to preach the good news.

, Jesus foretold that the preaching of the good news would continue after his death.

He prophesied: "This good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations; and then the end will come." (Matthew 24:14)

A short time before Jesus ascended to heaven, he gave his followers this commission: "Go . . . and make disciples of people of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit, teaching them to observe all the things I have commanded you." (Matthew 28:19, 20)

After Christ’s ascension to heaven, therefore, his disciples carried on the spirit-authorized work of preaching and teaching.

Jehovah’s Witnesses today imitate those early disciples in preaching the good news worldwide.

holy spirit is a force in motion

what is the holy spirit according to the bible?

Well, according to the Bible:

Luke 24:49
"And I send the promise of my Father upon you: but stay you in the city till you be endued with power from on high."

and Acts 1:7
"But he said to them: It is not for you to know the times or moments, which the Father hath put in his own power... " (so naughtly JW's for trying to out-guess the Father!) "... But you shall receive the power of the Holy Ghost coming upon you, and you shall be witnesses unto me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea, and Samaria, and even to the uttermost part of the earth."

The Holy Spirit is 'that other paraclete' on whom everything depends, and without whom we would not know Christ:

John 14:16
"And I will ask the Father, and he shall give you another Paraclete, that he may abide with you for ever."

John 14:26
"But the Paraclete, the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things, and bring all things to your mind, whatsoever I shall have said to you."

John 15:26
"But when the Paraclete cometh, whom I will send you from the Father, the Spirit of truth, who proceedeth from the Father, he shall give testimony of me."

John 16:7
"But I tell you the truth: it is expedient to you that I go: for if I go not, the Paraclete will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you."

So without the Holy Spirit, there would be no Church, no Tradition, no Gospel, no New Testament.

What staggers us traditional Christians is that modern denominations make so little of what Our Lord made so much.

Only in the Spirit can we know Christ, and it further staggers me that so many claim this knowledge, on the one hand, and deny the Holy Spirit, on the other.

Thomas

and Acts 1:7
"But he said to them: It is not for you to know the times or moments, which the Father hath put in his own power... " (so naughtly JW's for trying to out-guess the Father!) "... But you shall receive the power of the Holy Ghost coming upon you, and you shall be witnesses unto me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea, and Samaria, and even to the uttermost part of the earth."

Thomas

holy spirit certainly is a force in motion , and just as you mentioned in acts 1;7
When, now, they had assembled, they went asking him: "Lord, are you restoring the kingdom to Israel at this time?" 7 He said to them: "It does not belong to YOU to get knowledge of the times or seasons which the Father has placed in his own jurisdiction;

it was not the time at that time to restore the kingdom , but at Gods time table things are revealed . and i am glad to say that the

TRUE KNOWLEDGE IS NOW ABUNDANT DANIEL 12;4

And it is all knowledge about the kingdom. and it is spiritual food at the right time.

yes those early disciples were keen to know, but it was not the right time was it.

But NOW TRUE KNOWLEDGE IS ABUNDANT.daniel 12;4

HOLY SPIRIT IS A FORCE IN MOTION And those who are GIVEN insight are sharing that good spiritual food from Jesus out to others .

and MEE likes to take it in .
"As regards those having insight among the people, they will impart understanding to the many."—DANIEL 11:33.

advertize, share , advertize ,share . its all good:)

Back