ego

Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere may be happy.

H. L. Mencken

A good example of how the ego distorts the spiritual intent of the striving for inner balance which leads to joy. Can someone be happy when practicing the piano? Yes, as long as they remember why they are practicing and attracted to the goal.

A shameless advocation of the sin of gluttony. Even though carefully concealed in the PC message of racial equality between dark and white in matters of death through digestion doesn't suficiently compensate for this orgy. what will the ego lead us to next I wonder?
In this case, Snoopy and I were referring to the id, not the ego. :)
I did provide the disclaimer of "You do know how sick you will get if you eat it all at once? :p"

A good example of how the ego distorts the spiritual intent of the striving for inner balance which leads to joy. Can someone be happy when practicing the piano? Yes, as long as they remember why they are practicing and attracted to the goal.
Well, let's see, in this case, the ego would be encouraging the id to learn the joys of moderation, either the easy way, by listening to the warning about eating so much chocolate making one ill, or by the hard way, of allowing the id to experience getting ill from eating too much chocolate firsthand, thereby gaining an appreciation for moderation. :)

Can someone be happy when practicing the piano? Yes, as long as they remember why they are practicing and attracted to the goal.
What's the goal? In my case, having begun only when being adult, (so no artist playing), goal has been sensing the beauty of the universe which is expressed in music. Sensing in a different manner than when just listening to music. At the same time, some people would name what I "felt" (?) as "worshipping". Still, what connection to the ego?

What's the goal? In my case, having begun only when being adult, (so no artist playing), goal has been sensing the beauty of the universe which is expressed in music. Sensing in a different manner than when just listening to music. At the same time, some people would name what I "felt" (?) as "worshipping". Still, what connection to the ego?

Practicing piano is a fine exercise for uniting mind, body and spirit. How to connect the mind with the hands to reveal what the heart needs to express through the united wholeness of ourselves? Seems like a fine goal to me to become better able to sense the beauty of the universe through practice.

Initially I believe it is our personality that is attracted to the idea. After a while a certain quality of music can be felt with greater quality in a part of us that is deeper than our personality which has been acquired and touches our essential emotional qualities we were born with. Such experiences can allow us to experience that there is something beyond the limitations of our corrupt ego that the depth of our being is attracted to. It is a feeling of "home" for want of a better term and can serve to cleanse the ego of its reliance on fear and negativity.

A shameless advocation of the sin of gluttony. Even though carefully concealed in the PC message of racial equality between dark and white in matters of death through digestion doesn't suficiently compensate for this orgy. what will the ego lead us to next I wonder?

Well, unless I miss my guess, it would be smug self-righteousness

In this case, Snoopy and I were referring to the id, not the ego. :)
I did provide the disclaimer of "You do know how sick you will get if you eat it all at once? :p"

Well, let's see, in this case, the ego would be encouraging the id to learn the joys of moderation, either the easy way, by listening to the warning about eating so much chocolate making one ill, or by the hard way, of allowing the id to experience getting ill from eating too much chocolate firsthand, thereby gaining an appreciation for moderation. :)

True, but the Id and Ego are united in our personality. I do not believe we are born with a corrupt id so gluttony would be unnatural for a baby no matter how much we try and force unhealthy food down its throat.

How to deal with this acquired Id that results from our imbalance or as Christianity explains as "original sin," is a topic in itself.

True, but the Id and Ego are united in our personality. I do not believe we are born with a corrupt id so gluttony would be unnatural for a baby no matter how much we try and force unhealthy food down its throat.
You mean you've never been covered with baby puke? (Example of experience vs theory.)

Yeah, this seems a rampant idea with the neo advaita crowd. They do make a compelling case for no free will though. I have heard at least one person make the claim here on the forum that only he really understands how conditioned we all are:rolleyes:
Not sure I completely agree with the idea of no free will, but certainly much of what we do and say is a result of things we were given at birth, i.e. nature and nurture. Notice very few people when in a discussion ever say things like:
"Hmmm never thought of it that way, gee you might be right and I might have to rethink my position"

Maybe I need to hang out with the neo advaita crowd more (insert emoticon of choice). I would agree that nature and nurture pre-condition, but that in itself I would not take to mean the exclusion of the possibility of free will. I'm sure it's a very pleasant endless debate though. :)

As to rethinking, I suppose we all gradually mould our notions and nuance them here and there as we go along. We don't often want to publicly throw out an entire view or we'd be bashed around like a small boat on a stormy sea. Too many paradigm shifts would make us constantly sea sick.
:p

(There, I said paradigm shift AGAIN! Only with free will can one do this!!!)

s.

Oh Id of Snoopy, do you need more chocolate yet? You're looking a little green. Are you seasick?
seattlegal-albums-emoticons-picture104-icon-puke.gif

No more choccy for Snoops, SG, you want to bring down the wrath of the morality police again? ;)

Freud defines the ego as a function of our acquired personality. Suppose that wasn't the case and the cleansed ego became a part of our essential selves? No, it could never be considered. Too much chocolate dulls the mind as it gets other parts of the anatomy going. :)

yeah.

ChocoLATE!!! GIVE IT to me NoW!! Now give it to me! I want it mine mine mine GIVE ME MORE!!!!!! Dark and milk and white and milk and dark and white. GiVe it to me now all of it every little piece! ChocoLATE!!! GIVE IT to me NoW!! Now give it to me! I want it mine mine mine GIVE ME MORE!!!!!! Dark and milk and white and milk and dark and white. GiVe it to me now all of it every little piece! Dark and milk and white and milk and dark and white. GiVe it to me now all of it every little piece! Dark and milk and white and milk and dark and white. GiVe it to me now all of it every little piece! ChocoLATE!!! I want it mine mine mine I want it mine mine mine I want it mine mine mine Now give it to me! I want it mine mine mine GIVE ME MORE!!!!!! Dark and milk and white and milk and dark and white. GiVe it to me now all of it every little piece! ChocoLATE!!! GIVE IT to me NoW!! Now give it to me! I want it mine mine mine GIVE ME MORE!!!!!! Dark and milk and white and milk and dark and white. GiVe it to me now all of it every little piece! Dark and milk and white and milk and dark and white. GiVe it to me now all of it every little piece! Dark and milk and white and milk and dark and white. GIVE IT to me NoW!! ChocoLATE!!! GIVE IT to me NoW!! Now give it to me! I want it mine mine mine GIVE ME MORE!!!!!! Dark and milk and white and milk and dark and white. GiVe it to me now all of it every little piece! ChocoLATE!!! GIVE IT to me NoW!! Now give it to me! I want it mine mine mine GIVE ME MORE!!!!!! Dark and milk and white and milk and dark and white. GiVe it to me now all of it every little piece! Dark and milk and white and milk and dark and white. GiVe it to me now all of it every little piece! Dark and milk and white and milk and dark and white. GiVe it to me now all of it every little piece! ChocoLATE!!! I want it mine mine mine I want it mine mine mine I want it mine mine mine Now give it to me! I want it mine mine mine GIVE ME MORE!!!!!! Dark and milk and white and milk and dark and white. GiVe it to me now all of it every little piece! ChocoLATE!!! GIVE IT to me NoW!! Now give it to me! I want it mine mine mine GIVE ME MORE!!!!!! Dark and milk and white and milk and dark and white. GiVe it to me now all of it every little piece! Dark and milk and white and milk and dark and white. GiVe it to me now all of it every little piece! Dark and milk and white and milk and dark and white. GIVE IT to me NoW!!

This is what you need to do my man, Get yourself:

> Belgian Dark Chocolate (with the big hard squares)
> Milk
> Chocolate Ice cream

1. Take a glass and put a tablespoon of Ice Cream in it
  2. On top of the Ice cream, Put One Square of Chocolate
  3. Microwave for 10-15 seconds
  4. Then add around a 1/4 cup Milk
  5. Stir... and then shoot that baby straight at your taste buds....

Ready & Repeat

This is what you need to do my man, Get yourself:

> Belgian Dark Chocolate (with the big hard squares)
> Milk
> Chocolate Ice cream

1. Take a glass and put a tablespoon of Ice Cream in it
  2. On top of the Ice cream, Put One Square of Chocolate
  3. Microwave for 10-15 seconds
  4. Then add around a 1/4 cup Milk
  5. Stir... and then shoot that baby straight at your taste buds....

Ready & Repeat

I think sg may be taking note too :)

s.

Since I know that chocolate not only inspires love making but is also a laxative, lord knows what the result of all this will be.

Back