Face of god...

So does man come from aged mud or from nothing?

Life, can -only- come from life.... Man and everything else cannot and didn't just pop out of thin freaking air like some cheap and wonderful paul daniels magic trick... So it had to come from another life form... No idea what though... But, it wasn't an explosion and then some amazing magical evolution chain... That theory smells like ass.

Most theists that I know, they feel uneasy with the idea that our distant relatives, from whom we evolved from, were the ancestors of the chimps that we see today(despite the mountain of evidence, it makes them uneasy).

Is that a mountain of a molehill? People seem to forget it evolution is a theory(In laymen terms that basically means a guess..)....

Alex, you are falling for the same mistake that I once did. In the context of this conversation, evolution is not just a 'guess'.

What makes you say that?

Oh, just tens of hours of reading, including peer reviewed science articles. Not to mention the study of such things, by people far better qualified than you or I.

I could throw any theory out there. Let's say for example that I beleived that all life on earth was created by pixies. That theory would be worth nothing, not unless I could bring something more to the table.

See..?

So does man come from aged mud or from nothing?

That was a pretty lame attempt. Obviously there is chronological order.
Man came from mud (carbon) but carbon came from something else...
If you keep following that chain backwards, you will eventually arrive
at the answer given in the second verse i.e. "nothing"

Duh! Nick

Oh, just tens of hours of reading, including peer reviewed science articles. Not to mention the study of such things, by people far better qualified than you or I.

I could throw any theory out there. Let's say for example that I beleived that all life on earth was created by pixies. That theory would be worth nothing, not unless I could bring something more to the table.

See..?

No I don't see :(

A guess is still a guess.. They could be qualified in supa doopa things, and have a ed-yew-kation.... That doesn't make them better than me... lol certainly doesn't prove them right either lol they still can only offer theories... any muppet can do that....

Yes but I could also say the world was made by pixies and I would string some bollocks together but at the end of the day it would still be just like say I suggested something else crazy, like.... hmmm Oh here is a really good one lol... Man came from ape..... lol...

But curious you said a mountain of evidence? so.... Where is it?

Hi Enlightenment
I have already wondered at how so many often intelligent people would have such a great desire to reach some heaven, nirava, or some such,
esp when they often are not able to actually tell you what it is like there.
A man can have everything, anything and everybody, but still can be lonely and feel spiritually lost.
Remember, it might be worth knowing, esp once you are there, you are going to spend a lot longer there than you did on earth, therfore, if it
pans out as an awful place, well, maybe best to know a little more before signing up, that is what I am thinking.
There would, I imagine, be no concept of time like there is here on earth so it's not applicable. If it's awful then it's tough sh*t I guess, we'll be powerless to do anything about it.
I also genuinely marvel at the reverence that is given to a creator who appears so shy.
God isn't some old man playing peek-a-boo from behind a tree
Why doesn't your creator show himself more? I think that is a fair question.
He does and has been since the beginning of time. The evidence is already there for us to see, all around!
And it is a question that I would be asking myself, even if I did believe in a god, I would be asking why he had not visited earth more, engaged
with his creation more often?
Perhaps he interacts more than you think and you ain't seeing or feeling it.
He could still afford us 'free will', and remain in touch..
We have free will, if not we would just be robots under God. God remains in touch, it's that feeling I get in my being when I read some parts of the Gospels.
Of course, some religous books have cited examples of those who have apparently met god, yet I have yet to read a definitive description of
god.
"Light" is good for me as a prelude. "Light" is mentioned so much in the Bible and of course Christ was the light Nobody will ever get God's vital statistics!
Meeting one man alone, most often.
Well, each person must have their own "personal revelation"

Same with how some will miss out a vowel, when typing 'god'. No offence, but why? What does this actually do for your well being, and if the
answer is vague, then why do it?
It's out of respect for God's name. I think we've had a thread on the forum about this before. Each to their own, if they feel it brings them closer to God then that's good for them.
Do you think god would really care that David from Luton wrote the word god, and included a vowel?
If God knew that a person felt closer to him in doing that then yes. It's not a relevant example, God know's what's in each of us anyway.

It is human instinct to wonder,
too right!!
and entirely natural that a theist esp would imagine what their god to look like, rather than just shrug, and
imagine the answer to be so beyond them, or that they are not meant to know.
With me it's totally what I feel inside, than what God looks like. I don't try to imagine what God looks like, never have done. All will be revealed!

Alex, you are falling for the same mistake that I once did. In the context of this conversation, evolution is not just a 'guess'.

Most theists that I know, they feel uneasy with the idea that our distant relatives, from whom we evolved from, were the ancestors of the chimps that we see today(despite the mountain of evidence, it makes them uneasy).
But Darwin was a believer, how do you account for that? The theist that wrote the book, made the theory and substantiated it. By your definition, he couldn't be intelligent, he's a theist.

enlightenment said:
There are masses of contradictions out there. Most of them cannot be explained or addressed without really bending things, and moving the goal posts.
well, perhaps if we could all agree where the goal posts were, or that "bending things" was a bad thing. you are clearly not aware of the assumptions that religious people bring to the bible - and, here i can only really speak for myself and in terms of the "old testament" - the Torah (pentateuch) in particular. these four assumptions were most recently and concisely stated by the fabulous professor james kugel of harvard (who i met under a duvet at a conference recently - don't even ask) in his book "how to read the bible":

1) the texts are cryptic and symbolic.
2) the texts are prophetic and homiletic.
3) the texts are consistent.
4) the texts are Divinely Inspired/Given.

so, obviously, given these assumptions, you can see how interpretations would be needed to provide explanations when the plain meaning of the texts doesn't appear to reconcile with these assumptions. one should not expect explanations that conflict with one or more of these assumptions (e.g. "it was written by humans and they didn't notice") to be provided. you are of course at liberty to provide such explanations yourself but i can certainly assure you that they are superfluous as all such apparent contradictions can be reconciled according to the traditional methods.

so, how can G!D be seen? well, for a start, it doesn't bother me what the "new testament" says, as that isn't a sacred text for me, so let's restrict ourselves to the Tanakh (or "old" testament). actually the first point is that G!D doesn't actually have a "face", at least not so we would understand, but the Torah "speaks in human language", so we are really talking about different levels of intimacy with G!D. so the "hind parts" can be "seen", but the "face" cannot - you will note:

"And the Lord spake to Moses face to face, as a man speaketh to his friend." (EXO 33:11)
G!D Speaks to moses' face, but moses is not "seeing" G!D's "Face", that isn't what the text says.

"For I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved." (GEN 32:30)
this quote is wrongly attributed. it's in genesis. however, the word here need not mean G!D, but more like "angelic being" - remember that jacob here wrestles with an angel, not with G!D. therefore there is no conflict with

"And he said, Thou canst not see my face; for there shall no man see me and live." (EXO 33:20)
does that make sense?

as for your "list of biblical contradictions", pull another one out and let's have a look at it.

Funny you should mention Dawkins though. Great writer. V intelligent. Pity his forum admin did not permit me to stick up for theists.
i agree, but when it comes to religion, he's not terribly interested in nuance, which strikes me as inconsistent; the critic terry eagleton once observed that hearing dawkins on religion is somewhat like hearing someone hold forth on evolutionary biology armed only with his knowledge of the "standard book of british birds".

Z said:
how do we know he is a ‘creator’, there is no evidence that anything in existence is created.
well, it depends what you mean by "created". philosophically, we're talking "first cause" here, ie whatever kicked off the big bang or whatever it was. religion doesn't really talk about the "how"; there is no reason science can't help us to understand that, or that evolution can't be the answer to the bits involving "life". neither science nor evolution can disprove the ultimate "creation".

how can an infinite being visit us? ‘he’ could be with us perpetually, that is he cannot ~ not be with us!
well, that's precisely what religious people believe we are able to experience - the Divine Presence.

if god spoke once now it would change everything, even if he just said hi! this would make us believe in him hence no free choice.
now this is an excellent point - in other words doubt is a necessary part of being human. we've all come across human beings with no doubt; they are scary, scary dangerous people.

gods face if seen would be a mask, hence any such face would not be truly him, yet he is all masks and none. even in terms of meaning this is true, words are simply different kinds of masks.
this is close to the literal meaning of "you shall have no other gods but Me".

Resigned said:
Remember, I agree with you 100%! The bible, as all the alleged holy texts has been misinterpreted and mistranslated. Now which parts are corrupt and which parts are not is the game of theologians and apologists such as yourself. But since G!D doesn't come on down and ref the match, the validity of one verse being questioned questions the validity of all verses.
well, quite, but nobody has ever been able to say with any degree of certainty that this word is of Divine origin but this other word is not. certainly, from my PoV there is no need to consider any of the Torah to be "corrupt", whatever that means. to quote myself from here (http://www.interfaith.org/forum/observations-on-the-creation-stories-9195.html#post153722):

bananabrain said:
...certain assumptions which i believe to be mistaken. one of the basic things about biblical criticism is that it rules out, a priori, traditional answers such as "Divine Revelation". personally, i think this is a mistake. one of these assumptions is that because two passages use different styles, they must be by different people writing at different times - to which i would answer thusly: if I hade wroten unto thee in this Waye, and stille maintained that I were that scurvy cox-combe Banana-Braine, the same poor forkéd creature I would stille remaine. I might even say, d'ye see, that this passage be a lubberly screed, look'ee, an' sack Tortuga wi'a curse, by the powers! Arrrrrr. Be I still that scourge of the Spanish Main, Captain Bananabrain, damme for a handspike else? Or might I propose that we synergise our paradigms and leverage our key competencies to maintain a delivery focus?

do you see what i mean? lord macaulay wrote not only the famous "lays", but also the penal code of india under tha raj. are we to conclude from the fact that these two documents are written in different way for different audiences, that there were two lord macaulays?

Resigned said:
Here's my problem. One of the 4 year old children of the heathens around me actually has converted to Judaism. Now, technically he is still heathen, at least by blood. Can I buy this child anyway, or does the conversion override the bloodline issue? I suspect that a 4 year old isn't old enough to make such a decision regarding their status, so I can buy and enslave him anyway, right? Can you enlighten me on how the bible resolves such a conflict?

there's a pretty comprehensive answer to this question here:

BBC - Religion & Ethics - History: Slavery and the Torah

let me know if there are any questions that page doesn't answer.

enlightenment said:
well, not me. the Torah is pretty clear that it doesn't run on a timeline that we'd comprehend, nor does it rule out evolution in any way.

And, yet, at the same time, they appear to have no issue in thinking that we were 'made' out of a handful of mud.
well, if you look at some of the more interesting darwinian theory, the initial chemical reactions which formed amino-acids (although i'm a bit hazy on the science bit) would indeed have taken place in, of all places, clay. interesting, that.

wil said:
But Darwin was a believer, how do you account for that? The theist that wrote the book, made the theory and substantiated it. By your definition, he couldn't be intelligent, he's a theist.
hmmm. personally, i wouldn't pay too much attention to that. we only have to find a previously undiscovered letter (he used to write 12 a day) where he says "i don't want to upset my [christian] wife too much, so i can't say i'm not a theist, it would cause too much hassle" and that particular objection will fall flat on its face. reading between the lines, he was pretty lukewarm on christianity by the end of his life. i would stick to the science if i were you!

b'shalom

bananabrain

bananabrain, hi

"And the Lord spake to Moses face to face, as a man speaketh to his friend."

sure, god used the phone ~ so to say, i.e. you can talk straight to someone without seeing them.

i would ask if god would do this, my reasoning is that; god speaking to one man is like god speaking to all men. yet god may speak to all men if he can talk to one yes? so why not speak to all. are we to take it that he spoke to one, because we all make different interpretations, hence there would not be a single truth?

"And he said, Thou canst not see my face; for there shall no man see me and live."

*gasp*, this i am sure is a power mad human trying to say he is speaking for god when he clearly is not. i have seen god btw, but i think visions of god are like masks, gods face lies behind [perhaps all gods]. what i mean is that one may not see gods face because he has no face, one may see his masks and they may have many forms from visions to the tarot. if we take them as god it is idolatry, if we take them as ‘connectives’ or vague communications they are helpful.

i have been having a long series of talk with a christian friend who has problems with his personal life [nothing bad just girlfriends n stuff]. both he and i use the tarot and find it a very useful tool, it has been so accurate he is in awe at them, yet o said they only represent what is going on anyway. they have no power they are masks giving image to the invisible path set before us.

well, it depends what you mean by "created". philosophically, we’re talking "first cause" here, ie whatever kicked off the big bang or whatever it was. religion doesn’t really talk about the "how"; there is no reason science can’t help us to understand that, or that evolution can’t be the answer to the bits involving "life". neither science nor evolution can disprove the ultimate "creation".

apparently science sees no prime mover nor first cause. if there is one we could see it as like a nut with all the contents of the future held within, although that would affect uncertainty relativity and quantum dynamics etc. if you really wish to go into all the paradoxes involved then we can, at present i am more inclined towards a continuum with no beginning nor end, a cyclic universe with god/infinite being as everpresent.

creation is interesting though; how would you think god or a given ‘external’ factor could make existence come into being, what mechanism do you envisage? i would go with there not being any external factors, but that existence is the result of infinite expression, ergo from an infinite being. those expressions are still present in every particle of the universe and in all evolutions ~ evolution may seam random but at some point we would end up with humans, given continual improvement yes?

well, that’s precisely what religious people believe we are able to experience - the Divine Presence.

indeed, so it is more us visiting him, moses went to god in a manner, where god is always there waiting. this is simply because we are caught up in daily events so we have to go to a place in our minds to connect with god [to visit as it were].

now this is an excellent point - in other words doubt is a necessary part of being human. we’ve all come across human beings with no doubt; they are scary, scary dangerous people.

indeed and doubt is part of our freedom, i think science finds it just as hard to answer; ‘define material’ as religion and philosophy does to answer; define god. anyone who thinks they have the answers do not [not yet anyway].

this is close to the literal meaning of "you shall have no other gods but Me".

it is, yet i also see it as gods and deities or angels even, are expressions of divinity, but sure the most subtle truth is unexpressed. as to weather or not that is ‘god’, infinite being or universal spirit, buddha being etc, thats quite another question. :)

Resigned said:
Why so defensive? There are many contradictions in all of the alleged holy texts. These are contradictions I struggled with when attempting to resolve the “perfect” word of god. Rather than react with whiny apologetics, I try to understand error in the “perfect word”...
More bitter than defensive, Resigned. I'm sorry for calling ex-christian atheist web sites whiny, but I was tiff'd. These lists of claimed contradictions are on every atheism site, but I remember thinking on almost every item "Man, this person just never really bothered to understand what they were talking about on this question." If you understand the bare essentials of Scriptures, then it can appear both dishonest and pitiable if you claim to have big revelations concerning them. You might have decent anti trinity arguments or conundrums concerning that, however even those are overshadowed since you appear to be grasping at straws. Besides, trin is a mystery.

Resigned said:
...your all-powerful eternally supreme god(s) allowed his immutable and perfect word to be corrupted, whereas that pagan god Amon-Ra figured out-- by having his worshippers chisel into stone his "perfect word" -- how to keep his message pure over thousands and thousands of years. That was some clever pagan god, wasn't it?
You are way ahead of me in the Egyptology department, so pretty cool discussing this with you! The concept you give of Amun Ra seems different to me from the concept of God, but perhaps you've found Historical artifacts connecting the two. Assuming that you have, isn't that connection gone now?

You are saying Amun Ra was one of those legendary rulers, like Hammurabi, that codified the laws to bring stability to society. Terrific but whatever he was, he was relatively human like. God, completely opposite, is spiritual and inhuman. The incomprehensible nature of God allows human flexibility in interpretation of right and wrong while encouraging a continually improving standard. God is different than Amun Ra or Hammurabi with their codices (which are good innovations but not good enough by themselves).

More bitter than defensive, Resigned. I'm sorry for calling ex-christian atheist web sites whiny, but I was tiff'd. These lists of claimed contradictions are on every atheism site, but I remember thinking on almost every item "Man, this person just never really bothered to understand what they were talking about on this question." If you understand the bare essentials of Scriptures, then it can appear both dishonest and pitiable if you claim to have big revelations concerning them. You might have decent anti trinity arguments or conundrums concerning that, however even those are overshadowed since you appear to be grasping at straws. Besides, trin is a mystery.
You’re getting tiff'd for no reason. I don’t spend time looking for contradictions in holy texts and I attack no individuals or personal faiths. I question the concept of faith and also that of reason and everything else that is asserted. I try to focus on the things people believe or submit to me as truths. That’s not denigrating anyone’s faith and so I question the reasons why theists tend to lash out at any questioning of their beliefs.

I have never claimed to have had any “big revelations”. I’m not even sure what that means. I had no “revelations” about inconsistencies (sometimes glaring) that I struggled with at one time. I questioned why inconsistencies in a belief system were dismissed with hardly a peep or a whimper. The question of gods is the only question humans allow to escape the strictures of what constitutes knowledge. Everything else within our knowledgebase is required to adhere to strict guidelines before being embraced as actual fact, as best as we humans can manage to discern the truth. That does not always mean that the truth is readily evident or even that the evidence is interpreted correctly. The point is, the evidence needs to be looked at, and tested, and corroborated, and thrown against other evidence that may be contrary. For instance, one can theorize about a black hole, and have no solid evidence, but continue to seek it. The assertion about the black hole remains speculative, but not confirmed. Then, as evidence mounts (as tools become more sophisticated) the speculation becomes more solid, more likely to be a fact. Then, when confirming evidence is achieved, one can satisfactorily embrace the speculation has become fact.

You are way ahead of me in the Egyptology department, so pretty cool discussing this with you! The concept you give of Amun Ra seems different to me from the concept of God, but perhaps you've found Historical artifacts connecting the two. Assuming that you have, isn't that connection gone now?

You are saying Amun Ra was one of those legendary rulers, like Hammurabi, that codified the laws to bring stability to society. Terrific but whatever he was, he was relatively human like. God, completely opposite, is spiritual and inhuman. The incomprehensible nature of God allows human flexibility in interpretation of right and wrong while encouraging a continually improving standard. God is different than Amun Ra or Hammurabi with their codices (which are good innovations but not good enough by themselves).
My comparison to Amun Ra was more sarcasm (and irony), than a historical comparison.

More to the point, and to reiterate my prior comment about testing claims for consistency, did you realize that you attributed the term “incomprehensible nature” to god and then proceed to add any number of human attributes to him?All of thisreally begs the question: “If you cannot understand him, then how do you understand what he expects of you”?

This is a good example of a self-contradictory assertion, although you may not see it that way. Of course, as you know, I would have no reply to you if you told me that this "understanding" is revealed to you. Revelation is a viable method, though the act of sharing a revelation is no different from it being hearsay.

You assert the various human attributes of god and not the anthropomorphic ones-- you assert he is perfection and then assign to him emotions like love, jealousy, anger, vengeance, and so on. Each of those attributes by definition assumes some lack or need that is required to be satisfied. This will not do in your argument, because it immediately defuses your claim that he is in some way eternally perfect. Now I don't force you into this paradox, you step into it wholeheartedly. I would suggest that you might better try to make the case that because god cannot experience sin and such “human experience”, he needed to do it by proxy through mankind [though why god requires to satisfy this need also fatally flaws that argument, in my opinion].

You’re the one assigning human attributes to this god. It's a limit on his nature. Think about it. He exists as a god of love and mercy and you shove him into a human timeline and a human paradigm.

You’re making him angry and emotive. Who's basing their conception of god on his/her own philosophical presuppositions? Me? Are you sure?

well, quite, but nobody has ever been able to say with any degree of certainty that this word is of Divine origin but this other word is not. certainly, from my PoV there is no need to consider any of the Torah to be "corrupt", whatever that means. to quote myself from here (http://www.interfaith.org/forum/observations-on-the-creation-stories-9195.html#post153722):
Taking that a step further, nobody has ever been able to say with any degree of certainty that any words in any of the variously asserted holy texts are of a Divine origin.

The theist creates for himself a genuinely unsolvable dilemma. He/she claims there is a source material that lays out the belief system. He/she claims this source material has a level of functionality that supports that belief system as well. He/she further asserts that unless the "author" of that support system (a god or god(s)) endows one with some special knowledge (knowledge that can’t be shared in a meaningful way), one cannot understand that support system as laid out and supported by the source material.

Then the theist proceeds even further. He/she states that the god has a vested interest in human salvation, and through this book makes that word of salvation known, and yet... according to you there are varying degrees by which this knowledge may or may not be interpreted or even discovered.

In other words, the message of the book is a cold, unalterable law: Ye must believeth this, or be damned.

Then the book itself ranges from fact to fiction, from literalism to metaphor helter-skelter, and humans are then asked to pick and choose which aspects are literal and which are not.

Is Joshua's sun-standing still (i.e., Earth stopping its rotation) a true rendering of an historical event, or not? Is the flood true? Is Adam and Eve and original sin true (this one is primary, for without it, all the rest is unnecessary), is Mohammad’s ascension on a golden staircase true?

I dunno. Could be. Mayhaps. Depends. Kinda. Sorta. Maybe a flesh and blood body. Maybe not. That's what you embrace. Meanwhile, the underlying message remains:

Believe this, or be eternally, forever, always and from now until never – marshmallow in Hell.

You don’t quite get that same message from the Illiad, do you? It's intended as a fictional retelling, and few people debate its relative accuracy. But plenty of people think Bibles and korans and Mafioso Books of the Dead do relate an accurate worldview, and that opinion crosses into social constructs, and those social constructs impact individuals freedoms. It leverages political decisions. It lends weight to laws that are developed and implemented.

Yet one cannot, according to you, apply the same strictures humans gain for knowledge against this incredibly important book. The bible, you will argue, "gets a pass".

No, it doesn't.

Here's a thought (from a neutral perspective).

If god made man, and man created technology, then god should use that medium to speak to ALL people, of ALL faiths, and even those of none.

Imagine if on every tv, radio, and internet page, there was god, giving us a bit of an old update, adding a new message here and there.

Wow, that would really make people sit up and take notice.

If it happened as I described, to everyone in the world that had even a basic form of communication, would you believe that this was indeed god, and this was indeed his chosen mode of communication?

Here's a thought (from a neutral perspective).

If god made man, and man created technology, then god should use that medium to speak to ALL people, of ALL faiths, and even those of none.

Imagine if on every tv, radio, and internet page, there was god, giving us a bit of an old update, adding a new message here and there.

Wow, that would really make people sit up and take notice.

If it happened as I described, to everyone in the world that had even a basic form of communication, would you believe that this was indeed god, and this was indeed his chosen mode of communication?
hee hee neutral perspective...

So you think G!d'll just show up on every channel at once and speak in every language?

Conjecture, what if's, your who would you follow your spouse or G!d are useless hypotheticals imo.

So you think G!d'll just show up on every channel at once and speak in every language?

Conjecture, what if's, your who would you follow your spouse or G!d are useless hypotheticals imo.
Why is that hypothetical useless as opposed to Christ returning to earth to initiate the apocalypse, or the Shiite version where the Mahdi returns and we all experience a climactic battle… and die?

Here’s the thing; god could end the seething passions that cause people to murder each other over differing interpretations of his alleged “word”. He just doesn’t want to.

There are many conceptions of gods, ranging from incorporeal entities to long haired hippies walking around in sandals. So, I do have to ask why you believe your perception of “god” is more supported than various other suppositions and assertions of god. I’ll task you with a challenge. You need to explain first why a book stands as acceptable communication of a god to humanity. That's your first task.

I propose:

Why a book of god? Why not the message emblazoned across the sky, always before us, unaltered by the “corruptive” hand of man - in no single language but understandable by all, even children, even before they can read? Imagine - unaltered, no dispute - clear knowledge that something beyond the natural world communicates with us mere mortals!

Why not the words encoded in our minds-- a common hardwired realization not needing external verification and no two people could ever utter a conflicting phrase, just like none of us use our ears to see light (we all use our eyes to see light-- this is hardwired into us). Just a couple of suggestions by a "mere mortal" that escapes the ability of all the collective powers of all the gods ever claimed to have existed...

Hee hee back, Wil. See, I could barely be more neutral, could I? After all, as a non believer in god(s), I look at them all with the same eyes.

As to the rest, if you really have nothing to add to the point one way or another, why say anything? Would you do that in a pub, butt in to someone's point, and tell them they are talking sh***?

*Shakes head*

:rolleyes:

Here’s the thing; god could end the seething passions that cause people to murder each other over differing interpretations of his alleged “word”. He just doesn’t want to.

Your assuming that if the world was united under one religion, everything
would be a-ok. This is what those one-world-government advocates
think too. Unite the world under a single government, and everything will
fix itself.

When in fact: the cause of the murders are just those "seething passions"
alone. Nothing to do with the "differing interpretations". Those murderers
would have turned out to be murderers with or without any interpretations.

And you know what cures seething passions? Religion.

Back