Identity if the serpent in Genesis (2)

Nothing to forgive, so no worries.
Adam and Eve could be just generic, blanket names.
we are all just brainstorming here, and none of us have the absolute truth (except for Thomas, he's infallible I've heard).
So throw your notions into the mix, by all means.

A&E had just been created. They have precious little interaction, virtually no opportunity to learn about issues like trust, responsibility, faithfulness. Why do you assume that they were imbued with complete understanding of these life lessons?

A baby enters the world and requires years to learn this... some people never do. Why would you assume any different for A&E, especially in absence of any indication of their possessing this wisdom in Genesis?

In fact in Genesis 3:6 we read: When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom...

That passage right there indicates a lack of wisdom.
Actually it shows gullibility, and the need to keep up with the Jone's...two issues we still deal with today. But I think we call them ignorance, and jealousy...

Doesn't matter how wise one is, when we give in to base desires...

edit: let me clarify ('cause I know you'll come back). If we would have accepted that we already had it made, there would be no need for more (ignorance), but since we refused to accept that we didn't need anything more, we got greedy (jealous), and simply had to go for the fruit that looked like GOLD, so we could have everything everyone else had.

That is kind of like telling Bill Gates of Microsoft that because he has wealth and we don't, he doesn't deserve to have it and it should be given to us...so, we're going to take it...

There is always a price for "stealing" what belongs to another, especially when that other has alot more clout than we do...and we have NO idea what exactly it is that we have just stolen.

Last edited:
ok , what if...
the garden was like a ...lab. closeted and controlled, but we (human) did the wrong thing.. (tree etc), or maybe it was something we had to do all along... gain knowledge.....perhaps not so early,...(parent+apron strings etc).. and we set off in the real world...

ah, forget it... i dont know what Im doing... LOl (wouldnt be a first time)

ok , what if...
the garden was like a ...lab. closeted and controlled, but we (human) did the wrong thing.. (tree etc), or maybe it was something we had to do all along... gain knowledge.....perhaps not so early,...(parent+apron strings etc).. and we set off in the real world...

ah, forget it... i dont know what Im doing... LOl (wouldnt be a first time)
Seems like you are working at describing the process of maturation (maturing/growing up).
Works for me.
Thing is, there is more than one level of understanding to "The Book", each of which does not negate the others.
Small wonder it has been called a living book.
It certainly is profound....that is.. unless you read it literally and then it just becomes, hmm, empty and void - tohu va bohu (Tohu va bohu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

Thanks for the link.
and the tree/ knowledge.? Perhaps there are things we just dont need to know? Now, THAT works for me. LOL. I like simple things. I dont know how they work, just that they do. And with the Bible and all the diferent religions, I think we will never truley agree because we are able to understand it all. We just arent made that way.
Greymare out.

Certainly, God wanted to bless them. As I wrote in my post, they had to be fruitful first. In addition God gave them a specific commandment to follow until then. They screw it up along the way as we see later.

The degree of denial here is astounding.

Genesis 1:28 And God blessed them, and God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth and subdue it; and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the air and over every living thing that moves upon the earth."

There are no conditionals in this statement. There is no, "If you are fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth and subdue it; and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the air and over every living thing that moves upon the earth, then I will bless you."

God blessed A&E. It is written in the past tense. It was done. It was done without condition.

Soleil10, how do you rationalize your reinterpretation of the written word?

And to just remind you, in Genesis 1:31...

And God saw everything that he had made, and behold, it was very good. And there was evening and there was morning, a sixth day.

God didn't think, "It might be good... so long as they're fruitful and multiply." He saw it was good then, without any conditions being met. It was good. It was "very good."

The degree of denial here is astounding.
Genesis 1:28 And God blessed them, and God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth and subdue it; and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the air and over every living thing that moves upon the earth."
There are no conditionals in this statement. There is no, "If you are fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth and subdue it; and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the air and over every living thing that moves upon the earth, then I will bless you."

God blessed A&E. It is written in the past tense. It was done. It was done without condition.

Soleil10, how do you rationalize your reinterpretation of the written word?

And to just remind you, in Genesis 1:31...
And God saw everything that he had made, and behold, it was very good. And there was evening and there was morning, a sixth day.
God didn't think, "It might be good... so long as they're fruitful and multiply." He saw it was good then, without any conditions being met. It was good. It was "very good."

You're right, the degree of denial is astounding...all the way around.

If we were western gunmen, I'd love standing in front of you at 20 paces...you might draw first, but I wouldn't have to worry much about being hit...you got to aim CZ, before you pull the trigger...:eek:

If we were western gunmen, I'd love standing in front of you at 20 paces...

Likewise, Q, I'd love to be in a duel with you.

Because after somebody would yell, "Draw!" you'd stand there confused, wondering if they were talking in the past, present, or future tense, while I'd have my six shooters unholstered, ready to fill you full of lead. ;)

Because after somebody would yell, "Draw!" you'd stand there confused, wondering if they were talking in the past, present, or future tense, while I'd have my six shooters unholstered, ready to fill you full of lead. ;)
You really know nothing about me, do you CZ? lol

and the charge is "Draw!" if you believe the spghetti westerns...

Gee whiz, and I thought my argument with Nick was bad, at least we are not threatening to fill each other with lead !! :)

And here is CZ's whole family :D

Gee whiz, and I thought my argument with Nick was bad, at least we are not threatening to fill each other with lead !! :)

And here is the whole family :D

ah they both got me...I'm done...(wish I had one of those fancy monikers with the dying gun slinger spinning around):D

Yeah, geez, so violent guys! *ducks behind barrel too scared to post*

Don't shoot me! Getting shot sucks. And with lead? That's just... that's double bad!

What if they can't get the bullet out? Then it's lead poisoning for you pal! *ducks lower*

Yeah, geez, so violent guys! *ducks behind barrel too scared to post*

Don't shoot me! Getting shot sucks. And with lead? That's just... that's double bad!

What if they can't get the bullet out? Then it's lead poisoning for you pal! *ducks lower*

"but all I wanted to do was see my dying mother, Red, cough cough, now it ain't never gonna happen...cough cough"...:eek:

LOL, citizen i thought you were a pacifists. Unless the only lead you are talking about is in your pencil. LOL. ( as in, "draw").;)

LOL, citizen i thought you were a pacifists. Unless the only lead you are talking about is in your pencil. LOL. ( as in, "draw").;)

I will remind you that Q introduced the shoot out theme.

I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to respond in kind... he does present an easy *ahem* target.

Like I've said before... I ain't no Buddha yet.

A nice discussion gone to the dogs.
"Looks like one of those cheezy western movies around here."
*gets on horse and rides off*

I will remind you that Q introduced the shoot out theme.

I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to respond in kind... he does present an easy *ahem* target.

Like I've said before... I ain't no Buddha yet.
Actually my reference was to someone not being able to hit the broad side of a barn...:eek::D

Back