Did Jesus (pubh) die for his followers' sins?!

Hi Dondi,
Perhaps more significant that Christ's death was His Resurrection. Whatever you make of the crucifixion, it is this that validated the whole thing. Without the Resurrection, the movement would have died.
What does the Resurrection mean for worship and how does it factor into a Christian understanding of an individual soul's salvation?

Hi SG,
But were those instances of forgiveness aspects of Atonement?

So Jesus has been alive in heaven in His original state (as He walked on this earth as a human) for over 2000 years? He hasn't run out of oxygen yet? Can't compete in that contest, hoy!

lol i know!!! thats so totally badass !!

(... not that I wanna defend the belief itself, because its not directly supported by the Quran, imo), but the people who do believe it say that he will return to fight the dajjal (our version of the "anti-christ", also not mentioned in the Quran). And then he will live a normal life and complete it as a normal human being. Its all based on a couple of ahadith in Bukhari, Muslim, and Trimidhi.

Hi Dondi,

What does the Resurrection mean for worship and how does it factor into a Christian understanding of an individual soul's salvation?

Precisely that Blessed Hope of our own pending resurrection. Thanking God now for what He will do in the future.

Hi Dondi,

Hi SG,

But were those instances of forgiveness aspects of Atonement?
Nope.

If you want to look at atonement, look at Leviticus 16. One might speculate that Jesus played the role of both the sacrificial goat, (in his death,) as well as that of the returning scapegoat in his resurrection. Also notice how the Gospels mention that the veil to the Most Holy was torn when Jesus was crucified.

Actually, what pushes me to write down this thread is our Christian brethren's belief that Jesus pbuh died for their sins...​

In reality, Jesus pbuh didnt come with this teaching. His teachings are clear in the Scriptures. So, how come that he forgot to tell that he was going to die for his followers's sin?​

I can't believe the amount of Christians who have replied to this post, who have apparently not recognized that Dialogue's premise is incorrect. D, the fact is that Jesus did tell his disciples that he was going to die, and why his death was necessary for their salvation. Consider John 3:16...

16 "God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son. Anyone who believes in him will not die but will have eternal life.

Now, we know that all people die; that was the curse that God gave to Adam as a result of his disobedience. Yet the one who believes in Jesus will have eternal life. Thus, the one who believes in Jesus is forgiven, as it says in the very next verse...

17 "God did not send his Son into the world to judge the world. He sent his Son to save the world through him. 18 Anyone who believes in him is not judged. But anyone who does not believe is judged already. He has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son.

Thus, Jesus' teaching is quite clear: the one who believes that Jesus is the son that God sent into the world will not be judged, while those who do not accept this belief are judged already. This entire concept is repeated many times in the gospel of John. For example...

John 5 said:
21 "The Father raises the dead and gives them life. In the same way, the Son gives life to anyone he wants to.

22 "Also, the Father does not judge anyone. He has given the Son the task of judging. 23 Then all people will honor the Son just as they honor the Father. Those who do not honor the Son do not honor the Father, who sent him.

24 "What I'm about to tell you is true. Anyone who hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life. He will not be found guilty. He has crossed over from death to life.

The only thing that remains is whether or not Jesus had to die in order for peoples' sins to be forgiven. This too is quite clear. Consider John 12...

23 Jesus replied, "The hour has come for the Son of Man to receive glory. 24 What I'm about to tell you is true. Unless a grain of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only one seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds.

25 "Anyone who loves his life will lose it. But anyone who hates his life in this world will keep it and have eternal life. 26 Anyone who serves me must follow me. And where I am, my servant will also be. My Father will honor the one who serves me.

Both explicitly and implicitly, Jesus explains in this passage that his death is necessary for the salvation of others. Technically, if Jesus would have decided not to sacrifice his own life, the gates of salvation would not have been opened. What he said applies to himself as well: In comparison to the good he could bring and the suffering he could end, Jesus hated his life in this world, and gave it up out of his love for us, just as he says a bit later in chapters 14 and 15...

23 Jesus replied, "Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love him. We will come to him and make our home with him. 24 Anyone who does not love me will not obey my teaching....

9 "Just as the Father has loved me, I have loved you. Now remain in my love. 10 If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love. In the same way, I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in his love. 11 I have told you this so that my joy will be in you. I also want your joy to be complete.

12 "Here is my command. Love each other, just as I have loved you. 13 No one has greater love than the one who gives his life for his friends. 14 You are my friends if you do what I command.

Thus, the sacrifice that Jesus made was a symbol of God's love for us (remember 3:16), and it is through that love that we have reason to believe, and through our belief forgiveness for our sins. Had Jesus not sacrificed himself, we would know that God loved us to an extent, but not unconditionally. God was and is willing to give up everything for us. And his son, who has been given the power to judge, forgives.

I am not sure who misinformed you, Dialogue, but I think it's clear that you have indeed been misinformed.

Marsh​

But Marsh, John was already written (as far as I've found in academic study of the Bible) after the other gospels. It was written the latest and already has some doctrine overlayed on the more journalistic accounts of the other three.

Jesus said other things about salvation in the other gospels that, while not contrary to John, indicate a different reason for salvation.

I agree that Jesus' death illustrates God's the depth of His love for us. But if that is the case, why is belief in Jesus necessary? And what happens to all those who have not the opportunity to believe? How do we square this with the other Gospels' more direct teachings from Jesus that our actions, not our labels, are what count? (i.e., all that about those who say "Lord, Lord!" and Jesus does not know them, the stuff about keeping the commandments, that none of the law is abolished, etc.)?

Sin is a fairly general term, and whether it separates us from God is a matter of choice. But grace is not choice, it is undeserved merit.

The conditions by which we can read and write, think and communicate contain grace. It is in God's will that we are here. We could be soldiers on a battlefield, or patients stuck in hospital beds - there too includes the unconditional presence of God, if one sees God, and Jesus as suffering servant in any form.

Our whole purpose in life can be to release suffering, and if we use the name of Jesus as mediator, or any other practice where we adopt an attitude of humility grace is sure to follow. Because the all seeing eye of God, the third eye is always watching, always ready to relate, once opened through a willingness to see the truth. And again, we need a mediator between our egos and the dissolution of matter to unform one relationship, to die to the self so as to awaken to God.

But Marsh, John was already written (as far as I've found in academic study of the Bible) after the other gospels. It was written the latest and already has some doctrine overlayed on the more journalistic accounts of the other three.

Jesus said other things about salvation in the other gospels that, while not contrary to John, indicate a different reason for salvation.

I agree that Jesus' death illustrates God's the depth of His love for us. But if that is the case, why is belief in Jesus necessary? And what happens to all those who have not the opportunity to believe? How do we square this with the other Gospels' more direct teachings from Jesus that our actions, not our labels, are what count? (i.e., all that about those who say "Lord, Lord!" and Jesus does not know them, the stuff about keeping the commandments, that none of the law is abolished, etc.)?

Well, if you want to dispute the authenticity of the gospel of John, then there really isn't anything to talk about, yeah? Because for every point I make from any other book, you could then simply cast doubt on the authenticity of said book, rather than to discuss the ideas within it. What you call doctrine, I call insight.

The truth is that I used John because it is my favourite, but I could just as easily use any of the other three gospels. No gospel says that it is our label that counts, P; rather, it is our faith. It is not the gospels that are out of line, friend; this is something that can only be understood by considering the entire message, rather than parts which seem to conflict, because there is harmony in the larger picture.

Matthew 16 said:
21From that time on Jesus began to explain to his disciples that he must go to Jerusalem and suffer many things at the hands of the elders, chief priests and teachers of the law, and that he must be killed and on the third day be raised to life....

24Then Jesus said to his disciples, "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. 25For whoever wants to save his life[h] will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will find it. 26What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul? 27For the Son of Man is going to come in his Father's glory with his angels, and then he will reward each person according to what he has done.

Rather than using all of those passages from the gospel of John, I could have used this one passage from Matthew, because the same message is apparent: Jesus' death was necessary so that he could open the passage from death to life, and Jesus showed us that he loved us more than his own life when he made the sacrifice, and his reward is the power to judge; salvation thus lies in Jesus' hands. Had Jesus not sacrificed himself, this power would not have been given to him, because he would not have entered his Father's glory, because the way would not have been opened. Had God not allowed it to happen, it again would have showed us that God loves us to an extent, but not unconditionally. Consider the parable of the tenants:

Matthew 21 said:
33"Listen to another parable: There was a landowner who planted a vineyard. He put a wall around it, dug a winepress in it and built a watchtower. Then he rented the vineyard to some farmers and went away on a journey. 34When the harvest time approached, he sent his servants to the tenants to collect his fruit.

35"The tenants seized his servants; they beat one, killed another, and stoned a third. 36Then he sent other servants to them, more than the first time, and the tenants treated them the same way. 37Last of all, he sent his son to them. 'They will respect my son,' he said.

38"But when the tenants saw the son, they said to each other, 'This is the heir. Come, let's kill him and take his inheritance.' 39So they took him and threw him out of the vineyard and killed him.

40"Therefore, when the owner of the vineyard comes, what will he do to those tenants?"

41"He will bring those wretches to a wretched end," they replied, "and he will rent the vineyard to other tenants, who will give him his share of the crop at harvest time."

42Jesus said to them, "Have you never read in the Scriptures:
" 'The stone the builders rejected
has become the capstone[h];
the Lord has done this,
and it is marvelous in our eyes'?

43"Therefore I tell you that the kingdom of God will be taken away from you and given to a people who will produce its fruit.

God withheld nothing-- not even his son.

Well, if you want to dispute the authenticity of the gospel of John, then there really isn't anything to talk about, yeah? Because for every point I make from any other book, you could then simply cast doubt on the authenticity of said book, rather than to discuss the ideas within it.

This is my biggest issue here. When Im discussing the bible and my faith I am speaking on the authority of the Living Word and its inerrancy. to ME its is infalliable and without error. So if the other person in the discussion believes that the bible is not the written word of God and was simply written by man then the discussion goes nowhere.

yetthe bible is historically accurate noone has ever been able to prove otherwise.

Not one single prophecy given in the old and new testament has been wrong to date.. noone can prove otherwise.

So as far as Im concerned the burden of proof is on the unbeliever to prove any of it false and until that is proven ... my faith will stand upon that authority that is the Bible.

The simple fact is this... If Jesus died and was not resurrected where is his body???

I heard this recently and thought it was very thought provoking.

Jesus was either a Liar a Lunatic or He is Lord.

yetthe bible is historically accurate noone has ever been able to prove otherwise.

Not one single prophecy given in the old and new testament has been wrong to date.. noone can prove otherwise.

So as far as Im concerned the burden of proof is on the unbeliever to prove any of it false and until that is proven ... my faith will stand upon that authority that is the Bible.

The simple fact is this... If Jesus died and was not resurrected where is his body???

I heard this recently and thought it was very thought provoking.

Namaste FS,

And what if it is proven? What will that do to your faith? Risking your belief in Christ over the text is a concern. The bible has so much value, the knowledge that it isn't 100% historically accurate, that it isn't the unadulterated word of G!d, that it isn't without errors, is not an issue. What we need to realize it was written by man, but men with intentions of providing insight to thought that can change our lives and is incredibly worthwhile.

Just because folks don't believe Jesus is Lord, makes him neither a liar nor a lunatic, because as we all know and can't deny...he didn't write a word of what is written.

God withheld nothing-- not even his son.
Someone needs to explain this to me. Just as the other oft quoted. "G!d so loved the world he gave us his only son"

As if this was a big deal. Let's see if we believe the trinity...it was all one, all different, and in reality G!d spent a little time in human form and then returned...no biggy.

Or let's say Jesus was his son, as we depict a son...did he go off to war and die? No. Did he leave and never come back? No. In the realm of eternity his son left for 30 years a blink of an eye, G!d turned around and he was back before he looked back...

Is this anything compared to a parent who loses their offspring at war, or they go missing and never come back...or even of the teen when they are out on their first time alone driving at night or driving to the beach for a weekend? Any parent is in more of a state for that hour, day or weekend, out of 70 years of life...vs G!d and Jesus for a moment...or all us, His Children on infinitum...

But the big guy knows all in time will return....I don't understand the calamity...tis all part of the glorious process. No take this cup from me, but thy will be done.

Is this anything compared to a parent who loses their offspring at war, or they go missing and never come back...or even of the teen when they are out on their first time alone driving at night or driving to the beach for a weekend? Any parent is in more of a state for that hour, day or weekend, out of 70 years of life...vs G!d and Jesus for a moment...or all us, His Children on infinitum...

Perhaps it is more complicated than you think, Wil. You're looking at it from God's point of view; have you ever considered Jesus' crucifiction from Mary's point of view? Does the tearing of flesh as her son was beaten again and again and again seem like a small thing to you, my friend? The nailing of her own flesh and blood to a cross? Watching him as he was mocked by an entire city of people, less a few who kept silent? Does this seem small to you, Wil?

Can you imagine something worse?

Imagine Mary's suffering on that day for a moment, and consider it's depth and breadth. Now consider all of the people throughout history, before and after, who have suffered similar fates-- or who have suffered at all (i.e. all of us). If Mary, who was human and whose suffering was confined to human years, would have felt agony over the suffering of one of her children, how do you suppose God feels about the suffering of all of his?

God wasn't trying to make amends with Jesus' death, Wil.

Perhaps it is more complicated than you think, Wil. You're looking at it from God's point of view; have you ever considered Jesus' crucifiction from Mary's point of view? Does the tearing of flesh as her son was beaten again and again and again seem like a small thing to you, my friend? The nailing of her own flesh and blood to a cross? Watching him as he was mocked by an entire city of people, less a few who kept silent? Does this seem small to you, Wil?

Can you imagine something worse?

Imagine Mary's suffering on that day for a moment, and consider it's depth and breadth. Now consider all of the people throughout history, before and after, who have suffered similar fates-- or who have suffered at all (i.e. all of us). If Mary, who was human and whose suffering was confined to human years, would have felt agony over the suffering of one of her children, how do you suppose God feels about the suffering of all of his?

God wasn't trying to make amends with Jesus' death, Wil.
Namaste Marsh,

Exactly the point I was trying to make. Hence my issues with "God withheld nothing-- not even his son. " and "G!d so loved the world he gave us his only son"

As I indicated from G!ds perspective I don't know why these things are quoted, from a parent's (Mary's) perspective it is quite different.
wil said:
Any parent is in more of a state for that hour, day or weekend, out of 70 years of life...vs G!d and Jesus for a moment...or all us, His Children on infinitum...
Appears we agree.

Namaste FS,

And what if it is proven? What will that do to your faith? Risking your belief in Christ over the text is a concern. The bible has so much value, the knowledge that it isn't 100% historically accurate, that it isn't the unadulterated word of G!d, that it isn't without errors, is not an issue. What we need to realize it was written by man, but men with intentions of providing insight to thought that can change our lives and is incredibly worthwhile.

Just because folks don't believe Jesus is Lord, makes him neither a liar nor a lunatic, because as we all know and can't deny...he didn't write a word of what is written.

It hasnt been proven and it wont be proven. Im so sure of that fact that I base my whole faith on it. I note that you didnt list a single historical inaccuracy.The bible is 100% accurate till proven otherwise. He may not have put pen to paper but He spoke the words and was witnessed by the authors doing and saying what He did.

You know wil, I think you are being convicted of the truth of it and its bothering the heck out of you :)

Ive come to the personal realization that all those that argue incessently against or show anger at the truth are being convicted of the truth. So I stay Stop fighting it and Stop rejecting Him. :D

Well, if you want to dispute the authenticity of the gospel of John, then there really isn't anything to talk about, yeah? Because for every point I make from any other book, you could then simply cast doubt on the authenticity of said book, rather than to discuss the ideas within it.

There is a difference between authenticity and agreement. The gospels may all be authentic (in fact, I think they are and the evidence points to this) but that doesn't mean they were written how most people think they are. Authenticity of historical text does not answer the questions about who wrote it, how they wrote, and for what purpose. The general Christian ideas about this is based not on history, but assumption. Study of the history of the Bible is interesting and assists in understanding.

So, I think you misunderstood me. I'm not anti-Gospel-of-John. I actually love it and think it's a beautiful gospel. I think it's full of meaning for my life. But that doesn't mean I shouldn't understand the history of my own text and religion. If John was indeed, as history seems to indicate, written later than the other three and already forming doctrine, what's wrong with that? So he elaborates about the early Christian beliefs in ways the others do not, and he has his particular point to make. It doesn't make it untrue, but it does mean that his words have a purpose and aren't simple journalism.

What you call doctrine, I call insight.

For me, I am concerned with whose insight. Why should I simply accept the insight of someone else, rather than seeking my own insights? Doctrine tells me how I "should" read the scriptures, so that I agree and conform to a tradition. For some, this conformity seems to be fine. They don't have their own questions, or they feel comfortable tossing out their questions in order to conform to tradition and the group.

For me, that doesn't work. Instead, I take the questions I have directly to God in prayer. I trust the Spirit will guide me. And I don't mind saying what doesn't make sense to me at any given time. Maybe in time the Spirit will align me with standardized doctrine, and maybe It will not. I don't see why that seems to make a lot of other people annoyed, but it does. People dislike probing questions and doubt- it makes people uncomfortable, it seems. I find it uncomfortable too, but I'm honest. It makes my faith very solid, grounded in an experience of a Living God rather than in someone else's ideas. And my understanding of scripture is, as much as I can make it, one that is informed not only by Spirit but by history, linguistics, and cultural studies. I don't see how standardized doctrine is necessary for either, so long as I'm willing to put in the work and time.

No gospel says that it is our label that counts, P; rather, it is our faith.

That is what I was trying to say. The question of how our faith is defined and expressed is another issue entirely. Is faith joining a group? Agreeing with a doctrine? Saying a prayer? Or is it a transformation that yields a changed life?

I see a lot of hang-ups about which group a person joins and their ideas about God (doctrine)... but I believe our faith is expressed in our life. Our lives are our testimonies. It isn't about what we think about Jesus, it's about how Jesus transforms us- what we do with God's Son.

It is not the gospels that are out of line, friend; this is something that can only be understood by considering the entire message, rather than parts which seem to conflict, because there is harmony in the larger picture.

I agree, but I don't think that harmony is because every statement in the scriptures agrees with every other statement. This is why scripture can be used to "prove" nearly anything (and often has), even things that are clearly out of alignment with Christ's teachings and life, such as slavery.

In my experience, things are harmonious only because we may be led by the Spirit into understanding. But the text is open to interpretation and rarely clear. The interpretation is what becomes doctrine. Some people choose to go with standard interpretations put together by another person, and others choose to study enough to try their own interpretations, but the text leaves a lot unsaid that is filled in with interpretation.

Jesus' death was necessary so that he could open the passage from death to life, and Jesus showed us that he loved us more than his own life when he made the sacrifice, and his reward is the power to judge; salvation thus lies in Jesus' hands. Had Jesus not sacrificed himself, this power would not have been given to him, because he would not have entered his Father's glory, because the way would not have been opened. Had God not allowed it to happen, it again would have showed us that God loves us to an extent, but not unconditionally.

I am very familiar with the storyline, but the doctrine goes into the how and I like to leave it at the "what happened." That is, it is doctrine that says there was original sin, and God couldn't let sin into His presence (despite OT passages to the contrary, as well as the Jewish belief that God can forgive without blood sacrifice), so God had to send Himself as Jesus to be the perfect sacrifice for all time and people, and therefore we need only believe to be saved. It seems to me that if Jesus wanted to make that point, He could have made it quite plainly, rather than saying all the other stuff that He did. In short, I find that the concept that the way was closed to God- that God could not or would not forgive sinners without sacrifice- is a distortion of Jewish beliefs and is not what the scriptures say.

Now I do think that Christ is the bridge between humanity and divinity. But I don't think that joining a Christian church or holding certain beliefs has much to do with that bridge. The bridge has to be walked. That is, my faith is experiential.

This is my biggest issue here. When Im discussing the bible and my faith I am speaking on the authority of the Living Word and its inerrancy. to ME its is infalliable and without error.

Even if the Bible is inerrant and infallible, the people who decide what it means are not. Every pastor and priest I've ever met is very human, and so am I, and yet we are the ones who must read the text. In reading it, we are already interpreting it. Language is itself a symbolic system that cannot be independent of worldview, culture, and time.

When I delved into the languages of the Bible and sought out how their meanings overlapped (or did not) with English, I found a wealth of information that definitely changed how I understood the Bible.

The Bible is the Bible. But my brain is capable of learning new things and my soul is capable of new insights from the Spirit. And in both cases, my interpretations change.

So if the other person in the discussion believes that the bible is not the written word of God and was simply written by man then the discussion goes nowhere.

The point is not the infallibility of the text, which I see as irrelevant. If the text is completley infallible, we are still fallible, and we are the readers and thus the interpreters. Doctrine is based off a history of human beings who sat down and read the Bible, pondered it, prayed over it, and then decided what it meant. Doctrine is a human-created suite of ideas, and as such, it is a blending of a particular time and place's dominant worldview, cultural norms and values, and how these things impact the reading of the scriptures.

Which is all fine by me. My faith is not based on me trying to think just like some person from the past who generated an idea about God. My faith is based on a living experience of God directly. I know from the past discussions, yours is too, at its root. The way I figure, our ideas about everything are pretty worthless at the end of the day. But our personal journey with Christ is not.

I never understood why anyone wants to prove or disprove the Bible as a historical document. History is only useful in that it helps us to understand the scriptures from the perspective of the time, language, culture, etc. in which they were written. So, history provides a useful backdrop for us to get into the heads of early Jews or Christians and what they were trying to say.

But as for the Bible being a historic document, I have no idea why that would matter to anyone. The Bible is myth- not a lie, but rather a story that has deep meaning that is true to its faithful followers. The truth is there whether or not it is historically accurate, because the point of the Bible is to initiate a relationship between the mystery of God and the human being. The Bible is a thin point where the Divine touches humanity.

Making it about history, or science for that matter, and trying to prove the Bible is true takes away from what the Bible really is, in my opinion. It reduces the Bible to any other text, where the point is to figure out if it is true or not- its a categorization of literature. To me, scriptures like the Bible are not like any other type of literature and it is pointless to treat them as such. I think most people never think about how attempts to talk about proof or accuracy of scripture are operating out of a worldview that privileges science/history and degrades mythology as if it is worthless, when in fact, it is not. I actually find it to be a bit insulting toward scripture to treat it that way. Studying history and science is for a different purpose. Historical study in relation to scripture is for better understanding of what was written (just like learning another language allows us to translate between the two). It is not for proving or disproving what is said. Whether or not what is said is materially true or not is not as important as the meaning of what is said and its power to transform the faithful.

Just my two cents.

Again, I think it's pointless to prove or disprove prophecy. Prophecy wasn't fortune telling and the point of the prophets was not to tell the future, but rather to relay messages from God so as to encourage transformation of the individual and the world.

Additionally, prophecy is generally cryptic and impossible to prove/disprove. The interpretation of prophecy is variable, which is as it should be if the point is to transform the reader rather than to give predictions.

I have no opinion about what the resurrection literally was, but I believe Christ was risen by God. That said, it is pointless to ask where his body is. There are millions of people who have died in the ancient world and most of them are never found. We don't know where the graves are of lots of historically important people.

To me, this again degrades faith and myth to being about accuracy, rather than about meaning. We shouldn't ask ourselves if the resurrection happened in the way we think it did, but rather what the resurrection means. What is it to die, and rise again? Why is this symbolism so important in the ancient world- not only in Christianity, but also in various types of Paganism? It's the *meaning* that is important, not whether X or Y happened. To me, approaching it that way is part of a problem with our time/culture. We privilege the material world so much that our faith is defended and asserted on it. I find that troubling.

I've heard that a lot. But it isn't very logical. It presumes only three options, when there are many more.

It hasnt been proven and it wont be proven. Im so sure of that fact that I base my whole faith on it. I note that you didnt list a single historical inaccuracy.The bible is 100% accurate till proven otherwise. He may not have put pen to paper but He spoke the words and was witnessed by the authors doing and saying what He did.

You know wil, I think you are being convicted of the truth of it and its bothering the heck out of you :)

Ive come to the personal realization that all those that argue incessently against or show anger at the truth are being convicted of the truth. So I stay Stop fighting it and Stop rejecting Him. :D
Namaste FS,

I stated the reason I didn't argue the fact with you, and you restated it in your first line, as Nicholsen said in 'A few ood men' you don't want to hear it. Your whole faith is based on it and it wouldn't bed prudent for me to adreess that despite your insistnce.

Funny thing is, I've got no anger, don't reject Jesus, love the guy, thr txts the words...he's my elder brother ande wayshower and has enlightened me so I've been teaching Sunday school for nine years now. But I sure don't teach that I or anyone has all the answers or the bible is innerrant, I teach kids to have an open mind and study and discover their truth for themselves. I love it when they come back from college and thank us for what they've learned about how to use Christ's teachings in their lives, how it benefitted them over the troubles many of their friends went thru.

Hope you read Poo's responses, she did an excellent job in clearly stating what I have not the wodsmithery for.

peace

I think it is correct that the Bible is not a history book the way we think of history books today, the way a scholar or journalist needs to stick to 'just the facts.' But it is historical in that the events (or more significantly for Christians and the NT, the Event) it describes did happen. I recently read the book of Acts again, and if that book was written by people who did not think the Resurrection really happened, but were just trying to get a new religion off the ground (for what reasons???), then the religion really would not be worth the paper the book is written on. It may be simplistic, but the lunatic, liar, Lord argument does make a good point.

I can't believe the amount of Christians who have replied to this post, who have apparently not recognized that Dialogue's premise is incorrect. D, the fact is that Jesus did tell his disciples that he was going to die, and why his death was necessary for their salvation. Consider John 3:16...

I don't recall anyone saying they agreed with the initial post about what Jesus did or didn't say, least of all myself. I wasn't responding to his post and I found the content of the initial post rather ignorant even of view that dissent from traditional/conventional Christianity.

That is not to say that the general idea of what he was alluding to was a non-issue. I have simply been expressing disagreement over replacement theology and what some consider to be the purpose of the crucifixion as defined by fundamentalist and traditional Christianity.

The discussion in this thread doesn't have to be defined by the initial poster and his post.

Now, we know that all people die; that was the curse that God gave to Adam as a result of his disobedience. Yet the one who believes in Jesus will have eternal life. Thus, the one who believes in Jesus is forgiven, as it says in the very next verse...
Thus, the sacrifice that Jesus made was a symbol of God's love for us (remember 3:16), and it is through that love that we have reason to believe, and through our belief forgiveness for our sins. Had Jesus not sacrificed himself, we would know that God loved us to an extent, but not unconditionally. God was and is willing to give up everything for us. And his son, who has been given the power to judge, forgives.

If you intend only to address Dialogue's initial post, fair enough. Your explanation above is the standard response.

The problem that I see, however, is whether or not Dialogue will actually benefit from a conventional/fundamentalist Christian response. The Gospel of John gives a theological perspective of Jesus' mission. Theology, however, is about things we physically can't see, things we see as a part of our imagination. A theological system only has value to other people who also subscribe to the same theology. The Gospel of John (GoJ) is an exposition of Christian theology. A Muslim, however, does not believe in the theology described in the Gospel of John. This is why I would wonder whether it would be of any value to a Muslim.

This is the Abrahamic forum, not the Christianity forum. In the Christianity forum it wouldn't be as much of a problem discussing theology GoJ's theology, because many Christians are aligned with that theology. But for people to understand Christianity, there has to be something one could offer that all people can find valuable, regardless of their religion or lack thereof. Christian theology is only of value to Christians. It has little value outside that scope.

This is why I put more emphasis on the social and political because this is the common ground for all human social and political systems. People who are not Christian won't agree with Christian theology because it is not a reality grounded in the physical, material, social and political, something common to all or most humans in our world, but something in the imagination of an individual Christian believer. The Gospel of John is dominated by heroism, adventurism and theology. For it to have value to a Muslim, a Muslim must first agree with the heroism, adventurism and theology as a valid description of the reality that he sees. If he cannot agree, the theology in the story-telling in the Gospel of John is of little value to him.

If it is of little value to a Muslim, it does little to educate him about Christianity.

To clarify, this is not to say that a Muslim will never learn anything about Christianity. I distinctly said (and to reinforce it again here), Christian theology, which is only a subset of Christianity, doesn't really help a Muslim learn more about Christianity. You can't educate a person by talking about a reality he doesn't even believe in, especially if he thinks that that description of reality is a load of rubbish.

I think if we were indeed to educate Muslims better on Christianity, it is to put aside the theology and discuss the social and political side because as I said, that is where most of us humans would find common ground. An important thing to understand about why theology is of less value to outsiders is that it doesn't have a clearly identifiable foundation in this world. For example, there are no legal documents or organisations to represent what we define in our theology. Theology doesn't depict real-world entities and nor does it depict human states of mind that are compatible with the thinking of secular and mainstream culture. The start of meaningful discussion and learning about Christianity begins with real-world entities and phenomena.

This is also why it's been rather hard for me to understand Islam as well. I just can't connect with the theology or culture in any meaningful way. Common antics include praising God, calling for peace upon a prophet's name, talking about the infallibility of a text, corruption in Jewish and Christian texts, etc. The main problem I have with many of these antics, declarations, statements, attitudes and sentiments is that they aren't associated with real-world phenomena and entities. I'm not saying they have to refer to physical objects. They may, for example, refer to emotions, cultural attitudes, politics, national boundaries, political organisations, etc. They may have a grounding in social and political reality.

I can see that it has meaning to a Muslim, but this theology means nothing to an outsider, not even to a person in mainstream culture. This is why it's been easier for me to understand and learn about Judaism. Expositions of Jewish ideas, attitudes, beliefs and sentiments often start with something in the real world, whether it is social, political or intrapersonal.

Because this is the Abrahamic forum, not the Christianity forum, I think it is more practical if we find things to say that are of a more universal and less theological nature.

Back