American Christians protest mosque at 9-11 site

Amergin

Reaction score
Americans are protesting the building of a Mosque near the site of the Twin Towers terrorist bombing on 9-11. AThey are saying that anything Muslim desecrates those who died on 9-11 from Islamic Terrorists. They are saying that Islam is equal to terrorism.

How about banning the erection of a Christian fundamentalist church on the site of the Oklahoma City Federal Building bombing. After all Tim McVeigh and his cohorts are/were "Christians." That would glorify Christian Terrorism. It would desecrate the good Americans (many African-Americans) killed in the bombing by Bible toting terrorist, Tim McVeigh.

Terrorists are not a majority of Muslims or Christians. However, Islam and Extremist Christianity may encourage terrorism.

Amergin

All Americans are doing this? Every one of us? I don't recall being there.

Indeed, I don't recall anyone I know going there.

Guess what, in a free society, people are free to spout off.

When they go beyond spouting off, a rationally-run free society lays down a bitch slap that would make Lennox Lewis cry like a little girl.

Americans are protesting the building of a Mosque near the site of the Twin Towers terrorist bombing on 9-11. AThey are saying that anything Muslim desecrates those who died on 9-11 from Islamic Terrorists. They are saying that Islam is equal to terrorism.

How about banning the erection of a Christian fundamentalist church on the site of the Oklahoma City Federal Building bombing. After all Tim McVeigh and his cohorts are/were "Christians." That would glorify Christian Terrorism. It would desecrate the good Americans (many African-Americans) killed in the bombing by Bible toting terrorist, Tim McVeigh.

Terrorists are not a majority of Muslims or Christians. However, Islam and Extremist Christianity may encourage terrorism.

Amergin

Yup, it is quite hypocritical how christians in western nations like america critisize islam when christian fundamentalism has done it's fair deal of bad behavior. Both radical christianity and radical islam can both lead to some pretty screwed up societies and individuals, and should be activiley resisted. Many christians want to bash muslims without realizing how much traditional christian culture has screwed the world, first through colonial imperialism in the the old western world, and now through imperialism through globalism and multi-national corporate exploitation.

They have a right to protest anything they want though, because that would be freedom of speech/expression. But it is quite sad that freedom of speech is used by many american bigots on the religious right to bash other groups.

There is a first time for everything tea cup!

Snoopy... It wasn't about the casualties it was about the -overall target-

I don't see synagogues, churches, Satanic temples, Buddhist temples, Hindu shrines, atheist centres, Kingdom halls and so on being built. Nah... I Just see an eyesore being planned to be built... which acts as a sign a message... We did this. :)

Classic islamic tactics passive aggressive dominance to conquer, I see you also buy into the muslim's ways... "oh the murder was indiscriminate." lol... Please.... This mosque ... Cannot be allowed. And at the end of the day... We all -know- it won't be allowed :) How do you say Veni, vidi, vici in arabic?

Snoopy it cannot be allowed for many reasons... But the main one I guess you should consider is what message are you giving these terrorist extremists? Oh look what we did! And then from the dust rose a house of allah!!!

I don't see synagogues, churches, Satanic temples, Buddhist temples, Hindu shrines, atheist centres, Kingdom halls and so on being built. Nah... I Just see an eyesore being planned to be built... which acts as a sign a message... We did this. :)

There was already a mosque in the buildings that were brought down on 9/11.

The planned mosque is not on the site of 9/11 but 2 blocks away.

I doubt the people building the mosque want to say we did this but rather say WE DIDN'T DO THIS.

It's a slap in the face for your nation, and you shouldn't allow it.
the protest? Free speech.

The mosque? If it meets zoning requirements...its a done deal....anyone that doesn't want it simply buys them out...that is the way things are done here..

But then again, nothing is black and white.

Yup, it is quite hypocritical how christians in western nations like america critisize islam when christian fundamentalism has done it's fair deal of bad behavior.

Indeed, given that Muslims have never, ever indulged in imperialism or other misbehavior while simultaneously criticizing Christian behavior.

Nope, they never did that.
Nope.
Never
Ever
Ever.

Hypocrisy is the honor that vice pays to virtue.

I am an American convert to Islam, and I wholeheartedly oppose the building of the Islamic Center at such a close proximity to ground zero. I just wish I knew who was behind it, because they are an enemy of Islam. They simply wish to do this so that anyone who opposes it will be branded an anti-Islamist. This is an act of beiligerence and quite confrontational.

What we need is healing. Not confrontation. Islam is a religion of peace, and I know it's said so much that it seems like a cliche. I just wish everyone could attend my Mosque. There are American whites like me. American blacks. Yemeni, Pakistani, Morroccan, Algerian, Sudanese, Somali, and Indochinese, all together worshipping in peace.

What we need is healing. Not confrontation. Islam is a religion of peace...

Bilal, I agree with your second paragraph more than your first. The only question to ask about building a mosque in any American city should be (as Wil stated previously) does it meet zoning or any other land-use requirements.

Do you know where I had lunch today?

It was in a Japanese restaurant... even though they attacked Pearl Harbor and killed over 3,000 people in that dastardly sneak attack.

It's amazing that they even have the courage to show their faces around here.

But they do make good sushi. ;)

Here is a link to an editorial written by an American Muslim..an interesting perspective.

I think I see what he's getting at...

Japanese restaurants are okay in California...

but not in Hawaii.

Namaste all,

interesting topic this.

i've come to sort of view it as a response by certain sections of Muslims to the cartoons of the Prophet... sort of a shocking tit-for-tat as it were. as Farhan so eloquently asked in a different post, paraphrased here "what do they have to gain by doing something deliberately that the other guy doesn't like?"

metta,

~v

I think I see what he's getting at...

Japanese restaurants are okay in California...

but not in Hawaii.

I find this a bit of a stretch..your metaphor is illogical because one cannot compare restaurants with places of worship. However, what is served in Japanese restaurants in the USA is regulated. For instance, it is illegal to serve whale meat in Sushi bars. However, not so in Japan..they eat all the raw whale meat that they can afford to purchase..so we do control the types of Japanese food that is available. Eating whales is OK in Japan but not in America.

I like what Jasser said here:
"We need to focus our efforts more transparently on teaching Muslim youth that the American concepts of liberty and freedom are preferable to sharia and the Islamic state. American Muslims represent the best opportunity to fight Islamist radicalization not because we understand Islam but because we have experienced and understood what American liberty provides to the Muslim experience."

Just substitute Christian Reconstructionism (Dominionism) for Islamist and you will understand how our own freedom in the USA is being threatened by a similar radicalized version of Christianity. See: Dominion Theology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Every city has a right to control or regulated zoning including where a place of worship is built. From my experience, if a church wants to be a good neighbor, they will try to answer any protests to expanding or building. They will work with the community and that may include choosing NOT to build or expand. I don't know the real motivation behind this mosque/cultural center but it could very well be a deliberate confrontational act..again Jasser states: "...
we have led the construction of a number of mosques in the towns where we lived. Some went up without challenge from the local community, but others met with palpable local discontent. These were all humble mosques, funded locally by our congregations.
It's plain the planned "Ground Zero mosque" is something very different. Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf, his wife, Daisy Khan, and an investor intend to build "Cordoba House," an ostentatious $100 million, 13-story Muslim community center including a gym, a swimming pool, a performance-arts facility and a mosque."

If the funding for this center does come from radical Islamists or any other terrorist groups than that is illegal monies. Otherwise, it is legal from the standpoint of American laws..now whether it is in good taste is another question. I know that Christian MegaChurch complexes are all the rage in this country. They are large eyesores IMHO and are funded for the purpose of attracting the "lost" to the Christian faith. The real problem that I see with these two faiths is that both are in competition for converts or reverts in Islam. Both rely on proselytizing for growth and maybe that is the real friction between the two.

What they ought to build nearby is a healing center for all the first responders who now have cancer for some reason.....all of them.

I find this a bit of a stretch..your metaphor is illogical because one cannot compare restaurants with places of worship.

You're absolutely right.

Freedom of restaurants is never mentioned in the Constitution.

Peace everyone,

I initially was against this. At this point, I am considering it from many perspectives. It just seems to me that America is not ready to recognize that only a small group of Muslims are terrorists. Because of that, they are afraid and angry. Some wounds take a long time to heal and many are still too wounded to understand that Islam is not to blame. Extremism is.

If I understand correctly, the Cordoba Initiative has proposed building the mosque/Islamic center and Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf is the one who is most involved with it. It is so important to recognize that this imam cherishes pluralism and interfaith dialogue.

I do think one way this proposal has helped, is it got people talking. There are a lot more non-Muslims who are starting to comprehend that the media's stereotyped version of a Muslim is not what Islam is about. Islam is not the enemy.

What happened in 9/11 is in complete opposition with what Islam teaches. We do need bridges that will create dialogue between Muslims and non-Muslims. The tension has been exorbitant and we musn't let that be something the extremists use as a victory.

We must relate to each other in a more tolerant and productive way.

Love,
OS

Amergin

Back