Etymology of the name Jesus

I don't know what Old French word you are referring to: please clarify.

The root didn't go from Avestan to Greek. It went from Proto-Indo-Germanic (at least; I can't say PIE without knowing if it occurs at all in Centum) meaning "any greasy substance" to Germanic meaning "lard, especially for slicking one's hair" and independently to Balkan Peripheral meaning "olive oil, especially for rubbing one's body" and independently to Indo-Iranian meaning "butterfat, especially for burning".

I understand the conventional view, but the Avestan form gerezda and the French form creme which is supposed to have been derived from Greek is associated with a dairy product. Even the Germanic form is associated with an animal.

There is nothing in any Iranian source about "wolf's blood". Plutarch has no idea how the ritual's name is pronounced or what it consisted of.

The point is that the Greco-Romans were aware of the Hom ritual. You were saying that they didn't know anything about Zoroastrian rituals, even if Plutarchs account is may have been a loss in translation, and this is the ONE ritual that is relevant to our discussion.

As a designation for any anointed king, priest, or prophet.

Yet, here the definition of Khristos extended to a "future deliver" another example of Zoroastrian influence on the Jews and Greco-Romans derived from the idea of the Saoshyant.

Before they translated Hebrew, of course Greeks had no use for a way to spell Yeshua'; but the khristos word meant "rubbed with oil", particularly with reference to athletes (either wrestlers greasing themselves up before a bout for better slipperiness, or athletes getting a massage to ease their aches after finishing).

Please cite. This source says that the Greek word aleipho "olive oil" was used for athletes. See What About Oil?

Paul's epistles are the first books of the NT written.

Interesting. I thought Paul was the last of the apostles to have been converted to Christianity. I thought that Mark's accounts were the earliest accounts of the NT.

BX I've done an exhaustive search for the PIE root of this Avestan izha : Sanskrit ida "goddess of the sacrifice" and I can't find anything. What is the PIE root of these forms?

the French form creme which is supposed to have been derived from Greek is associated with a dairy product.
I found this but it says cranum for "cream" was used in late Latin (maybe borrowed from Gaulish) before that Old French form with "s" thrown in to the spelling, thought to be influenced by the Greek word although the Greek word was not really the source.
The point is that the Greco-Romans were aware of the Hom ritual. You were saying that they didn't know anything about Zoroastrian rituals
What I'm saying is that they knew very little about any aspect of Zoroastrianism, and what little they did know was horribly garbled.
Yet, here the definition of Khristos extended to a "future deliver" another example of Zoroastrian influence on the Jews and Greco-Romans derived from the idea of the Saoshyant.
True.
Please cite. This source says that the Greek word aleipho "olive oil" was used for athletes. See What About Oil?
It says nothing of the sort; it talks about medicinal usage there. The word aleipho is cognate to Latin oleum source of English oil, so it goes back to PIE. In a medical text, Aretaeus the Cappadocian book 1 chapter 5 "On Head Ailments and Epilepsies", the chris- root is used (your source is saying that the Epistle of James avoids that root for non-ceremonial usages of oil, but that is only because these are Jews writing, for whom the chris- root had taken on a special meaning that other Greeks would not restrict it to): it describes some medicinal gum and says, "rub (chreesthai) onto the head in trauma cases, or likewise rub (same verb) a little bit in case of phlegmatic complaints." In Aristophanes somewhere (I am having trouble finding the precise cite) there is a line that uses the two words together: someone who has not washed off properly before re-dressing has "a smear (chrisis) of oil (aleiphon) on his clothes". It doesn't seem like there was a sharp distinction of usage in Greek before they started translating Biblical texts.
Interesting. I thought Paul was the last of the apostles to have been converted to Christianity. I thought that Mark's accounts were the earliest accounts of the NT.
Jesus was in the 30's AD, Paul converted in the 40's and wrote most of his Epistles in the 50's. Mark is the earliest of the Gospels in its present form, written in the 60's; although Matthew contains a large block of material that was probably written down earlier, but in Hebrew and Aramaic, not translated into Greek and assembled with other material into the present Gospel of Matthew until early 2nd century.
BX I've done an exhaustive search for the PIE root of this Avestan izha : Sanskrit ida "goddess of the sacrifice" and I can't find anything. What is the PIE root of these forms?
Not sure, but I would associate it with the root for "image" (either a physical or a mental picture) seen in idol, idea.

I found this but it says cranum for "cream" was used in late Latin (maybe borrowed from Gaulish) before that Old French form with "s" thrown in to the spelling, thought to be influenced by the Greek word although the Greek word was not really the source.

Shipley says the Turks borrowed the Greek chrisma as khorozma for a depilatory and it came back via Italian and French as a cosmetics cream. Khorozma is another word that looks like an Iranian place-name like Khorashan and that is Khwarezm (Chorasmia) both indicating "sun rise." Didn't the first usage of the word Christian come into use in Turkey?

What I'm saying is that they knew very little about any aspect of Zoroastrianism, and what little they did know was horribly garbled.

Nonetheless they knew of the ritual we were discussing and not only that there is a clear sign of transition from a creamy substance to blood and both having been associated with a eucharistic ritual derived from Zoroastrianism.

It says nothing of the sort;

It says "Indeed, the word aleipho, that James used, is mundane rather than ceremonial. It was used to describe the way Greek athletes rubbed down their bodies with oil and grease before wrestling, and of greatest import to us it was a favorite medical term both in the Scriptures and elsewhere."

Not sure, but I would associate it with the root for "image" (either a physical or a mental picture) seen in idol, idea.

You think? I thought that because izha is the yazata of the sacrifice that it might have been derived from PIE *iag, but now that you mention the Muslim celebration "Id" came to mind and Jashan which means celebration in NPers. is a variant of *iag. And it can't be a coincidence that on top of this the Muslims call Jesus Isa which resembles the Avestan Izha so much, can it?

Shipley says the Turks borrowed the Greek chrisma as khorozma for a depilatory and it came back via Italian and French as a cosmetics cream.
Turks didn't enter the Mideast until ~1000 AD, so this is way too late for the origin of Vulgar Latin cranum or its Old French derivative for the dairy product. The cosmetic "cold cream" of course is not dairy-based; but it appears that the two words, originally unrelated, did get confused with each other: that would explain how the French for the dairy product ended up with an "s" in the spelling.
Khorozma is another word that looks like an Iranian place-name like Khorashan and that is Khwarezm (Chorasmia) both indicating "sun rise."
An excellent example of coincidence, since you just showed that the khorozma comes from the "grease" root and never had anything whatsoever to do with place-names from the "sun" root.
Didn't the first usage of the word Christian come into use in Turkey?
In Syria, actually. And of course there was no such place as "Turkey" then.
Nonetheless they knew of the ritual we were discussing
Yes, they know that the Zoroastrians had some kind of ritual, but they don't know what it was called or what it consisted of.
not only that there is a clear sign of transition from a creamy substance to blood and both having been associated with a eucharistic ritual derived from Zoroastrianism.
Where are you going with this? There is no "creamy substance" nor any "wolf" involved in the Christian eucharist.
It says "Indeed, the word aleipho, that James used, is mundane rather than ceremonial. It was used to describe the way Greek athletes rubbed down their bodies with oil and grease before wrestling, and of greatest import to us it was a favorite medical term both in the Scriptures and elsewhere."
My bad, I missed that sentence. But what I showed from a couple examples of hunting in the older Greek literature is that the khris- and aleiph- roots were used interchangeably in athletic and medical contexts: indeed, one right after the other in the case of the athlete who didn't wash off the massage-oil before dressing and got a khrisis aleiphon on his clothes.
You think? I thought that because izha is the yazata of the sacrifice that it might have been derived from PIE *iag
Also possible, if "zh" isn't really a distinct phoneme from "z" in Avestan (I don't know), but in that case there is no connection to Sanskrit ida which I thought your sources told you was the same word. If the "zh" is a palatalized "d" rather than a s'atam-shift from "g/k" then izha and yazata are not the same; you can't have it both ways.
but now that you mention the Muslim celebration "Id" came to mind and Jashan which means celebration in NPers. is a variant of *iag.
Id is an odd word, not easily derived from a three-consonant root or with cognates that I know in other Semitic languages, so it could indeed be a good case for borrowing from Indo-European; but Greek eidos would look like an easier source. How would you get "sh" turning into "d"?
And it can't be a coincidence that on top of this the Muslims call Jesus Isa which resembles the Avestan Izha so much, can it?
OF COURSE it can be a coincidence. Coincidences are a dime a dozen. I keep pleading with you not to put so much stock in them. If you want to postulate a sound-shift, you need to show a bunch of words all showing the same shift: here you are wanting "sh/zh" to shift to "d" and to "s" in the same language.

Boy am I glad that the Early North American linguistics analysts did not follow that kind of lead (I am finally getting the gist of what you two are discussing). The lack of consistent shifts between Dine and Hopi and Hopi and the Tewan were some of the clues that we were dealing with at least three different linguistic groups.

This stuff is complicated, but I really am enjoying reading it.

The Etymology of the name Jesus is the sanskrit name "Isa" or "Isha".

That is what I have always known about this question.

Originally Posted by bhaktajan

What does the name mean? Where does it occur? What makes you certain?

Booby Boy,

I swear to God ---I can't recall where I first came to know what I asserted!

I still don't know where even to search my own memory on the topic ---when I posted the my statement I knew that I had no supporting documentation nor reference ---I was going out on a limb as a result . . .

I found this this morning:

Isa, Eisa - A Prophet's name (Jesus)

http://www.el-shella.com/kids/MaleArabicNames.htm#E

Cool, thanks for the link, bhaktajan. What Arabic name out of this list would best describe you?

I had failed to mention that I did grow up with a Christian Jordanian named Essam.

BTW, Essam's cousin Amin (pronounced Ey-men) would attend with the rest of us 1st friday Mass ---where we'de sing the Church Song with the refrain, "Amen, Amen -- Amen Amen Amen . . . to the Father Amen . . . " ---at which time we'd look at Amin and laugh. Amin didn't mind the giggles from his classmates.

I'd submit a name for myself from the Arab:

The 'Habib-ster'
or
The 'Dude'

"Mr Brown"

Well well finally some one recognised my Avatar image.

I do appreciate the acknowledgement.

BTW, who's the contemporary fellow [Not shown, that historically should be sitting on or minding] the horse?

Hint: He'd be wearing a turban.

Turks didn't enter the Mideast until ~1000 AD, so this is way too late for the origin of Vulgar Latin cranum or its Old French derivative for the dairy product. The cosmetic "cold cream" of course is not dairy-based; but it appears that the two words, originally unrelated, did get confused with each other: that would explain how the French for the dairy product ended up with an "s" in the spelling.

I'm not exactly sure what you're saying here. Are you saying that cranum is not the root for the word creme? Are you saying that the Turkish form is the root for the word creme?

An excellent example of coincidence, since you just showed that the khorozma comes from the "grease" root and never had anything whatsoever to do with place-names from the "sun" root.

Shipley said it comes from Turkish, but the place-name Khwarezm (Chorosmia) is partially inhabited by Turkik speakers like the Turkmen so maybe the French cresme did develop from the name of this Iranian place-name.

In Syria, actually. And of course there was no such place as "Turkey" then.

Yes, and Syria was the center for Christianity and these Christians co-existed among the Zoroastrians during the Parthian era before Constantine's era. One source I came across even mentions a statue that is said to be Zoroaster in Syria.

Yes, they know that the Zoroastrians had some kind of ritual, but they don't know what it was called or what it consisted of.

Where are you going with this? There is no "creamy substance" nor any "wolf" involved in the Christian eucharist.

Plutarch calls it the omomi which is a garbled form of haoma cf. hom and he says it consisted of the juice of pounded herbs and mixed it with wolf's blood which Zoroastrians ingested. So there is no mention of a Christening type ritual, but 1. we may deduce that the ritual he's describing developed from the original Hom ritual associated with the Ishayas Gerezda "sacrifice of creme-de-la-milk" which may have been where the word for Khrein "annoint" "may" have been derived, and 2.) that they no longer ingested this "creme-de-la-milk" but wolf's blood may have been because there were no cows around... IDK. But this must have been where the Eucharistic practice of ingesting wine which is symbolic of blood must have originated.

My bad, I missed that sentence. But what I showed from a couple examples of hunting in the older Greek literature is that the khris- and aleiph- roots were used interchangeably in athletic and medical contexts: indeed, one right after the other in the case of the athlete who didn't wash off the massage-oil before dressing and got a khrisis aleiphon on his clothes.

Was this khrisis aleiphon attested before the Septuagint? Please cite.

Also possible, if "zh" isn't really a distinct phoneme from "z" in Avestan (I don't know), but in that case there is no connection to Sanskrit ida which I thought your sources told you was the same word. If the "zh" is a palatalized "d" rather than a s'atam-shift from "g/k" then izha and yazata are not the same; you can't have it both ways.

Yeah, Boyce describes both Avestan Izha and Sanskrit Ida as having similar functions. Another form of the Sanskrit is Ila. Why is it so hard to find a PIE root for this?

While we're on this topic I have to make a correction. When I read the Avestan verse in the English phonemics I thought ishayas in ishayas gerezda was this Izha character, but when I went back to it I realized that izhaya and ishayas are two separate forms. The first denotes the "angel of the sacrifice" and the second denotes "sacrifice" so it's not a huge error, because the forms do appear to be morphologically related. And other forms of ishayas include ishya and ishyo as in airyaman išya, airyə̄mā išyō "angel of healing" and fourth invocation of the Gathas. The interesting thing about 1.) this invocation/deity is that the Saoshyants "future deliverers" will themselves recite the Airyman ishyo to aid them in the fight against evil at judgment day, and 2.) the 3rd century A.C. Manichean missionaries translated their own scriptures into Persian, the divinity with whom they identified Jesus and presented him to the Iranians as Aryaman Yisho. A History of Zoroastrianism: The ... - Mary Boyce - Google Books

But ishyoo looks like an almost perfect candidate for an Avestan origin of the Greek Iesous. As far as phonemic correspondences go I'm not sure about the initial ie- vowel sound but Av. -sh- is equivalent to the Heb. -sh- which convention says developed into Gk. -s- and the long Av. -ō - vowel corresponds to the long vowel sound written in Greek as -ou- and there is no -s affix in ishyoo which according to convention was added on later by the Greeks to signify masculine nominative.

In my researches I have actually come across several sites related to yoga and ascension that claim that the name Jesus is derived from the Sanskrit word Ishayas, but no substantial linguistic deduction for why. Moreover I don't know of any Sanskrit form Ishayas, I do know of the Avestan form ishayas, however.

Ah! So you were thinking of the Arabic name, not any Sanskrit. The Arabic is a distortion of, not the source of, the original name.
Amin (pronounced Ey-men) would attend with the rest of us 1st friday Mass ---where we'de sing the Church Song with the refrain, "Amen, Amen -- Amen Amen Amen . . . to the Father Amen . . . " ---at which time we'd look at Amin and laugh. Amin didn't mind the giggles from his classmates.
The Arabic name Amin "honest; a truth-teller" and the Hebrew/Aramaic exclamation Amen "truly" (as well as the Old Egyptian name Amon "god of truth") are from the same root.
I'm not exactly sure what you're saying here. Are you saying that cranum is not the root for the word creme?
No, I'm saying that cranum IS the root, and was used for dairy-cream long before Turks were on the scene.
Are you saying that the Turkish form is the root for the word creme?
The Turkish form is why a (non-dairy-based, but greasy) cosmetic is called "cold cream" and its confusion with the existing word for "cream" (in the dairy sense) is why Old French threw an "s" into the spelling of the word.
Shipley said it comes from Turkish, but the place-name Khwarezm (Chorosmia) is partially inhabited by Turkik speakers like the Turkmen so maybe the French cresme did develop from the name of this Iranian place-name.
Shipley says the Turks named it from the Greek word for "grease", which makes sense. But why do you imagine that anyone would name a cosmetic "Afghanistan"?
Yes, and Syria was the center for Christianity and these Christians co-existed among the Zoroastrians during the Parthian era before Constantine's era.
What makes you think there were Zoroastrians in Syria during the Parthian era? Some Mithraists, I'm sure, but Roman Mithraism was not particularly faithful to any Persian tradition.
One source I came across even mentions a statue that is said to be Zoroaster in Syria.
Source? I tried Googling "Zoroaster statue Syria" but didn't find much.
Plutarch calls it the omomi which is a garbled form of haoma cf. hom
Yeah, in general anything Greco-Romans have to say about Zoroastrianism is garbled.
and he says it consisted of the juice of pounded herbs and mixed it with wolf's blood which Zoroastrians ingested.
I would assume the "wolf's blood" is a massive garbling of something, or just a wild rumor.
So there is no mention of a Christening type ritual
Indeed.
1. we may deduce that the ritual he's describing developed from the original Hom ritual associated with the Ishayas Gerezda "sacrifice of creme-de-la-milk" which may have been where the word for Khrein "annoint" "may" have been derived
The verb in the sense of "to rub oil" is native in Greek, and its sound-shifts from the Iranian forms indicates no common ancestry more recent than thousands of years.
and 2.) that they no longer ingested this "creme-de-la-milk" but wolf's blood may have been because there were no cows around... IDK.
It never occurs to you that they didn't actually ingest wolf's blood at all, when no source from Iran talks of any such thing.
But this must have been where the Eucharistic practice of ingesting wine which is symbolic of blood must have originated.
"MUST" have???
Was this khrisis aleiphon attested before the Septuagint? Please cite.
As I said, it was ascribed to Aristophanes, but I couldn't pin down which play or what line. Aristophanes was contemporary to Socrates (who is caricatured in his play The Clouds); that is, after the Persian Wars but before Alexander; since the Greeks had never heard of Jews at this time, the verb "to rub oil" had no sense of "to anoint ceremonially" but here is just for massaging after exercise.
Yeah, Boyce describes both Avestan Izha and Sanskrit Ida as having similar functions. Another form of the Sanskrit is Ila. Why is it so hard to find a PIE root for this?
Because those sound-shifts are peculiar, so it is hard to know what the word would look like in other branches (if indeed it existed in any branch but Indo-Iranian). If ida is most like the original then Greek eidos "image" as in idol, idea is what I would suggest as a cognate.
1.) this invocation/deity is that the Saoshyants "future deliverers" will themselves recite the Airyman ishyo to aid them in the fight against evil at judgment day, and 2.) the 3rd century A.C. Manichean missionaries translated their own scriptures into Persian, the divinity with whom they identified Jesus and presented him to the Iranians as Aryaman Yisho.
And ishyo and Yisho are not the same; would a native English speaker mispronounce "sorry" as "Yisorr"? Obviously the Manichaeans didn't think the name should be ishyo.
But ishyoo looks like an almost perfect candidate for an Avestan origin of the Greek Iesous. As far as phonemic correspondences go I'm not sure about the initial ie- vowel
It's impossible, as I've told you before. Greeks didn't take simple vowels and turn them into complex vowels when borrowing from Persian; quite the reverse.
sound but Av. -sh- is equivalent to the Heb. -sh- which convention says developed into Gk. -s-
Yes.
and the long Av. -ō - vowel corresponds to the long vowel sound written in Greek as -ou-
No. The long-o vowel as in English coat is written in Greek with omega and would not be confused with the vowel in English coot written omicron-upsilon "ou".
In my researches I have actually come across several sites related to yoga and ascension that claim that the name Jesus is derived from the Sanskrit word Ishayas, but no substantial linguistic deduction for why.
Presumably these are people who want everything in the world to come from India, just like you want everything in the world to come from Iran, and they have no better reasons for making up their stuff than you do for making up yours.

Originally Posted by bhaktajan
Isa, Eisa - A Prophet's name (Jesus)

http://www.el-shella.com/kids/MaleArabicNames.htm#E

Ah! So you were thinking of the Arabic name, not any Sanskrit. The Arabic is a distortion of, not the source of, the original name.

No I was not.

Im well aware of the sanskrit name for God "Isha" [Controller . . etc].

But the name is openly used and known as Isa in the region of said nme of said OP.

I related a personal experience that goes to show you the depth of my relation to such name ---and here I am doing it again.

Do you want my sanskrit references for "Isha" ---I should remind that the mid-east is geographically located across the Indian Ocean across the Iranian Plateau and across the Arabian Desert ---thus the ethymolgical abberation of the name's pronunciation.

BTW, in pre-Vedic times the known world was known as "Ila"[ee-la].
Ila-varsha [land of Ila].

Im well aware of the sanskrit name for God "Isha" [Controller . . etc]...

Do you want my sanskrit references for "Isha"
Yes, please. I'd be interested to see the contexts in which it occurs.
BTW, in pre-Vedic times the known world was known as "Ila"[ee-la].
Ila-varsha [land of Ila].
That sounds similar to Elam (the name of the kingdom east of Sumeria in pre-Persian Iran) and to the word for "country" in Tamil Eelam (what the "Tigers" were trying to create). Indeed, that is pre-Vedic (from the language group spoken before Indo-European was introduced).

Shipley says the Turks named it from the Greek word for "grease", which makes sense. But why do you imagine that anyone would name a cosmetic "Afghanistan"?

I'm thinking that the Aryan (Irano-Afghan) words Khwar "Halo" which is sometimes mentioned conjointly with Airyana "the holy land of the Aryans" in the Avesta, and Gerezda (fatty oil associated with immortality) or maybe a later form had folk-fused together and this is where the Christening ritual really originated.

What makes you think there were Zoroastrians in Syria during the Parthian era? Some Mithraists, I'm sure, but Roman Mithraism was not particularly faithful to any Persian tradition.

Source? I tried Googling "Zoroaster statue Syria" but didn't find much.

I came across this on a site about Christianity in the Aryan (Irano-Afghan) zone which was THE main center during the Parthian and Sassanian era.

"MUST" have???

Well why did Christians start drinking blood?

As I said, it was ascribed to Aristophanes, but I couldn't pin down which play or what line. Aristophanes was contemporary to Socrates (who is caricatured in his play The Clouds); that is, after the Persian Wars but before Alexander; since the Greeks had never heard of Jews at this time, the verb "to rub oil" had no sense of "to anoint ceremonially" but here is just for massaging after exercise.

It would help if you could confirm this.

Presumably these are people who want everything in the world to come from India, just like you want everything in the world to come from Iran, and they have no better reasons for making up their stuff than you do for making up yours.

Yes yes of course. And there are also the people who want to believe that Christianity was a product of the Jews too. The only difference is that for centuries Christian scholars themselves have been pointing out that the principles fundamental to Christianity including ideas like "God," "angels," "the Devil," "demons," "the Messiah," "the Word Incarnate," "the Soul," "Kingdom of God," "Heaven," "Hell," "the Resurrection," and "Judgment Day" were all derived from the Aryans (Irano-Afghans) and not from the Indians or the Jews or any other non-Iranian (Aryan) source.

Originally Posted by bob x

There are few alternatives.
We have waiting 5,000 years to come to know these things.
Centuries of subjegation by cultures of conquering tribes raoming the country sides as finally allowed for objective research of the cultures that spread out from the world's furtile cresent areas.

I'm thinking that the Aryan (Irano-Afghan) words Khwar "Halo" which is sometimes mentioned conjointly with Airyana "the holy land of the Aryans" in the Avesta, and Gerezda (fatty oil associated with immortality) or maybe a later form had folk-fused together and this is where the Christening ritual really originated.
Oy! We were talking about the thoroughly non-religious non-ceremonial practice by women of rubbing a soft greasy stuff commonly called "cold cream" nowadays, to soften their skin or remove earlier layers of face paint; how it got to be called by the same name as a dairy product; and why Frenchmen sometimes spelled the word for the dairy product with an "s" that wasn't originally there. Shipley said the Turks got khorozma "cold cream" from the Greeks (they first encountered the Greeks in the 1050's) and that this word got mixed up with the cranum "cream" word in France; this makes perfect sense to me. You proposed instead that the Turks named cold cream after Khorasan "Afghanistan" which made no sense to me at all. The Turkish word has an "m" in it (otherwise it would not have gotten mixed up with "cream") like the Greek chrisma and not "n" like in Khorasan or "d" like gerezda; but now you are telling me that they threw all those words into a blender-- and then stepped into a time machine to go back three thousand years with their cold cream, and this is how Mideastern kings and priests of 2000 BC got the idea to rub something of greasy consistency, but totally different ingredients, which they called by a totally dis-similar Semitic word m-sh-ch, onto their heads.
Well why did Christians start drinking blood?
Jesus told them to break bread, remembering how his body was broken, and to drink wine, remembering how his blood was spilled; they were never to forget that he had been put to death gruesomely, and had accepted this voluntarily. This is the very core of Christianity, and Zoroaster (who died peaceably in bed at a ripe old age) has absolutely zero to do with it.
It would help if you could confirm this [the use of "chrisis aleiphon" in Aristophanes].
The Perseus site has an enormous library of ancient Greek texts, and a bunch of search tools which I am having a terrible time figuring out how to use. I can sometimes get as far as a list of texts in which particular words occur, but only that once with the "Aretaeus of Cappadocia" text (about rubbing oils on head injuries, and smaller doses on head colds) did I manage to get to where it showed me the particular line. I'll keep trying to figure out what I did. Anyhow, I searched chrisma (the form that means "the stuff that you are rubbing on" as in the source for Turkish khorozma) and I got that it comes up once in Aeschylus (the oldest preserved dramatist, from the first generation to meet Persians: "Ask the Mede whom I brained at Marathon what kind of man I was!" is on his tombstone), but not where or in what context; and once in Lucian (2nd century AD) with an indication that in that text it was something smeared after plastering a wall, that is, a "varnish" of some kind.

What I just cannot get you to seem to understand is that it is a PERFECTLY ORDINARY AND NATIVE WORD in Greek. It got used to translate a ceremonial meaning from the Hebrew, but it hadn't carried any such freight before they met Jews, and didn't always carry any such special meaning afterwards either. The only association with anything Iranian is that Greek and Iranian are both Indo-European languages, so roots from Proto-Indo-European commonly show up in both languages, as words which differ from each other by a regular pattern of sound-shifts, resulting from the thousands of years of separation.
Yes yes of course. And there are also the people who want to believe that Christianity was a product of the Jews too.
For the very simple reason that IT WAS.
The only difference is that for centuries Christian scholars themselves have been pointing out that the principles fundamental to Christianity including ideas like "God," "angels," "the Devil," "demons," "the Messiah," "the Word Incarnate," "the Soul," "Kingdom of God," "Heaven," "Hell," "the Resurrection," and "Judgment Day" were all derived from the Aryans (Irano-Afghans) and not from the Indians or the Jews or any other non-Iranian (Aryan) source.
Only a handful of those concepts ("angels" and "demons" and "hell") are Zoroastrian, and Christianity only has them as they were filtered through the Jews.
There are few alternatives.
We have waiting 5,000 years to come to know these things.
Centuries of subjegation by cultures of conquering tribes raoming the country sides as finally allowed for objective research of the cultures that spread out from the world's furtile cresent areas.
Well, while talking to mojo I have Googled a lot of sources talking about the "Aryans", and found a lot of Hindu-chauvinist sites giving their slants. I find some good points in the websites that consider the whole "Aryan invasion" story a myth: they point out that the story has changed a lot over the years. At first, the 19th-century racialists had it that India was full of "savage darkies" who didn't know anything until the "superior Aryans" (white, and no doubt blond and blue-eyed before they got mongrelized) came in to share the blessings of civilization. But then, Harappa and Mohenjo-Daro were discovered, and the story got completely reversed: now it was the Dravidians who were civilized, and the Indo-European invaders were nomadic horsemen from the steppes, no better than Huns or Mongols, trashing the cities. Then, the geology of the Sarasvati came to be understood: it was a mighty river once, then an intermittent river that sank underground in places and re-emerged (hence the notion that it communicated with the otherworld, like the similarly intermittent and therefore sacred river Alpheus in Greece) before becoming the minor stream it is now. So now the story looks like this: the Indus Valley civilization mostly fell victim to climate change, rather than violence (although there was certainly some warfare in the later more desperate stages, the cities had been losing population for a long time, not as one grand sack-and-slaughter); the Indo-Europeans migrated into the Sarasvati as that valley become unsuitable for agriculture but good for animal-herding, while the northern steppes that they were coming from were getting bad even for animal-herding. Perhaps further knowledge will alter the story further, but I think the picture is getting a little clearer now.

There are some points that the Hindu-chauvinists just don't want to grapple with. One is the homogenization of the castes: supposedly, they don't interbreed; the fact is, it looks like they have interbred thoroughly over time. That is, trace a high-ranking Brahmin and a lowly Sudra back a thousand years or so, and in both ancestries you would find, not just a mix of high-ranking and low-ranking ancestors, but just about the same proportions of high and low rank in both cases. We can compare this to the genetic finding about Britain (there was a thread about this somewhere on this board): it turns out everybody on the island is more-or-less half-and-half Saxon and Celtic, maybe 60/40 in favor of the Saxon among "English" people and 40/60 the other way among the "Welsh" and "Scottish"; in Ireland (south of Ulster) they are almost all Celtic, but there too it is discernable that "Celtic" itself meant a mixture of the Indo-European newcomers with an "Iberian" population from before. Hardly ever do "migrations" of nations really take the form of invasion, mass slaughter, and total replacement; rather, infiltration and admixture. In India, there is a "haplotype" (genetic variant) found with double-digit percentage in the north, single-digit percentage in the south, which is common in Europe but unknown in Tibet, Burma, or further east. That would be the "Indo-European invasion": but there is no sudden drop-off in frequency at the border between Indo-European and Dravidian languages; and it is not a majority anywhere; the people now living in India are mostly the descendants of the people who lived in India before.

The second point that Hindu-chauvinists don't like to grapple with is that India was a relative late starter. The Harappans were practicing agriculture by the third millenium BC, which is a long time ago (and certainly longer than the 19th-century racists were willing to credit India with), but that is well after Egypt, Mesopotamia, and China. On the websites I constantly find claims of absurdly early dates for this, that, or the other: and there never turns out to be any basis for these dates, except wishful thinking.

And the third point that Hindu-chauvinists don't like to grapple with is that the Vedas really aren't all that profound. These texts have been faithfully recited for long generations by priests who often have little clue of what the words mean, like the stereotyped priest of medieval Christendom who knew no Latin and, trying to repeat exactly what his predecessor said, turned the communion bread into the body of Christ by chanting Hocus pocus, dominocus! (it was supposed to be hoc est corpus Domini "this is the body of the Lord") Sanskrit scholarship in India was actually in a very sorry state until the Europeans started asking their awkward questions. But now that we can recover the meanings of the earliest texts, we find that, like the oldest layers of the Old Testament, they have a lot of Bronze Age tribalism and brutality in them, mixed with some beautiful poetry and flashes of insight, but really of lesser philosophical quality than what was written in India during later periods.

Its Derived from the Julius Caesar

__JULIUS
CAESAR

aCHieReus megISTOS

Back