morality within evolution

Vajradhara said:
what "god shaped hole"?

what shape is God?

besides which, though i know that physicists don't like it, the Anthropic Principle would be another method of explaning the how of our physical being.

Of course I did not coin this phrase--I think it is attributed to Sartre, whose name I can't even spell much less discuss how he meant this. To me it means that part of our make-up that causes us to search for higher meaning in our lives.

Could you tell us more about Anthropic Principle?

Regards again!
Abogado del Diablo said:
what is a "better path for humanity" and does such a term have any meaning when we are talking about an amoral biological system?
Indeed! Consider, from the perspective of the individual that loves others, then the motivation it would seem is to want to do those things that are best for your loved ones. So, the goal is to no longer be "amoral." End result, "better path for humanity" would seem to be by definition the path of the stream, the flow of the unversal chi, where the grand scheme wishes us to go to begin with. Which way is up?

If humanity as we know it is "selected out" is that a moral "good" or "evil" or is it just evolution doing its business?
Forgive me, but I would think that regardless of the answer, which might be any, all, or none of the above, holds no bearing on reality as reality is. Such questions are fun, but unimportant when greater and deeper mysteries are being pursued. Most people instinctively intuit right and wrong, good and evil.

Second, is "evolution" responsible for Eugenics?
A great deal depends on the accuracy and validity of that research. This plays heavily into politics, and is very emotionally charged. Out of respect to the site, I would much prefer to skirt this please. Thanks.

Ultimately, it is irrelevent anyway. We are all connected, what happens to one, affects the others. We are one spirit.

Is our greater genetic representation in the biosphere achieved through applying our knowledge
Yes
to override the innate sentiments of "morality?"
Maybe
And should that be our goal? Or should we have any "goal"?
Dunno

Third, has "morality" outlived its biological usefulness and primed itself for extinction?
Ummm, yeah, but this is physical level, and that's where science rules. At the level of spirit, science holds less sway. Not to worry, religion falters sometimes too. Morality, is it in harmony with the flow of the Tao, or is it (one of) humanity's forays against the current?

The paradigm shift between the amorality of ecology and a discussion of "morality within evolution" may simply be impossible.
So, is nature more in harmony with the flow of the current, or is humanity more so? Is nature amoral if it is doing precisely what it was intended to do?

Eugenics tried to make that shift - to build a "morality" out of the amorality of the "evolutionary process." Did it work? Some would argue that Eugenics brought about such a crisis of conscience through WWII that it marked the beginning of end of overt European and American Colonialism and the racist ideologies that justified it.
I wasn't aware of the history. In light of the parameters of this discussion, would you excuse me from this, please? Thanks! :D

juantoo3 said:
I'm going to take a stab at forming my most recent question.

In terms of seeking spirit, of attempting to be most in harmony with the universal IS, is it better to pursue a path that stresses our inherent human nature, of being "more human?" Or it is better to pursue a path that transcends our human nature, to "rise above" our human-ness?

I think we progress in the tension that exists between these two states of being. In this existence we can't live in a transcendent state, although we may experience glimmers of it through meditation and mystical practices, or sometimes through brief spontaneous transcendence. But we can't practically conduct our lives when we live in complete detachment from this world. Maybe a few people can afford to do this, but it can't be done by everyone. I think this is part of what Ayn Rand rails against. Why should society support the mystics/religionists, not to mention the meek and weak, among us. Let me say again here that I do not agree with her objectivism philosophy precisely because it lacks compassion. It puts no value on something I think is an important part of being human.

So why don't we just live in a natural, and I would think brutal, manner. Why do we suspect that if we abandon our morality, or fail to pass it on to the next generation, it would result in a Lord of the Flies society. Why is it that after every episode of eugenics attempted throughout history we are left in shock, disgust and horror? Why is ethnic cleansing the most abhorrent aspect of war?

An idea that is a bit tangential: We need civilization to practice the love thy neighbor principle taught by all religions. We especially need it for the teaching in Christianity to love and forgive our enemies. Specifically, we need good (fair) courts of law and justice systems. I remember reading somewhere that the best indicator of advanced civilization is the distance between the victim of a crime and the person who decides/implements punishment, i.e., the victim himself, his family, his tribe, an objective third party, a jury of peers, etc. I am not a lawyer so I can't go any further with this idea. morally: Justice=good, revenge=bad.

Survival of the fittest is no way to run a civilization. What distinguishes us as human is that we do try to rise above our animal nature. I disagree with Devil's Advocate, if I am understanding his idea, we can't abandon morality and merge into the unity of nature. At least not full time, or not in this life.

[re-reading this post I see it is a bit disjointed. getting pressed for time. sorry!]

juantoo3 said:
Ultimately, it is irrelevent anyway. We are all connected, what happens to one, affects the others. We are one spirit.

I like this. I agree.

So, is nature more in harmony with the flow of the current, or is humanity more so? Is nature amoral if it is doing precisely what it was intended to do?

Nature/ecology is not amoral, morality does not apply. Self-conscoiusness is required for morality/amorality.

I wasn't aware of the history. In light of the parameters of this discussion, would you excuse me from this, please? Thanks! :D

I would also like to avoid politics here.

Getting ready for a trip so I will not be posting. Just didn't want anyone to think I was ignoring them or leaving in a huff! It's a great thread and I can't wait to see where it goes.

lunamoth said:
Nature/ecology is not amoral, morality does not apply. Self-conscoiusness is required for morality/amorality.
QUOTE]

Oops, I was thinking immoral, not amoral. Doh! :eek:

Nautre/ecology is amoral.

Awesome Post Luna!

You never cease to amaze me.

lunamoth said:
I think we progress in the tension that exists between these two states of being. In this existence we can't live in a transcendent state, although we may experience glimmers of it through meditation and mystical practices, or sometimes through brief spontaneous transcendence. But we can't practically conduct our lives when we live in complete detachment from this world. Maybe a few people can afford to do this, but it can't be done by everyone.
Interesting idea about existing in the tension between. Is either extreme then, transcendent or basic (animal), out of normal operating range for modern humanity?

I think this is part of what Ayn Rand rails against. Why should society support the mystics/religionists, not to mention the meek and weak, among us. Let me say again here that I do not agree with her objectivism philosophy precisely because it lacks compassion. It puts no value on something I think is an important part of being human.
Oh, I absolutely agree. I do find a great deal of wisdom pertaining to matters of business. In other words, there is wisdom within, it just isn't 100% gospel type wisdom.

So why don't we just live in a natural, and I would think brutal, manner. Why do we suspect that if we abandon our morality, or fail to pass it on to the next generation, it would result in a Lord of the Flies society.
For the sake of discussion, is the "Lord of the Flies" society amoral if it is tune with the Tao? As presented in the book, because these were creatures raised into another moral model, the "paradigm shift" into a strange moral model would have been hugely taxing mentally. Culture shock in the nth degree.

But if those boys had been raised into that morality...their moral model would have been far less severe. They would have the trappings they were stripped of in the plane wreck; parents, family, a system with their betterment at heart, and more social support. Consider the LOTF process in reverse; bring a "savage" into the modern world, forcibly and decidedly.

Why is it that after every episode of eugenics attempted throughout history we are left in shock, disgust and horror? Why is ethnic cleansing the most abhorrent aspect of war?
Valid questions I have no answers for.

morally: Justice=good, revenge=bad.
That is what we are taught.

Survival of the fittest is no way to run a civilization.
True, but is it not wise to consider fitness? Our western civilizations are constructed to provide excessive abundance, and that abundance is to our detriment. Our people are overweight and lazy, or fitness nuts, both of which extremes can kill. And if nature is any respectable indicator, as scientists frequently tell us, then we are falling apart as a species and rotting on the vine, physically, mentally, and spiritually.

What distinguishes us as human is that we do try to rise above our animal nature.
:)

we can't abandon morality and merge into the unity of nature. At least not full time, or not in this life.
A lot I guess is perception of morality. What morality is abandoned? Is another morality in place? If you mean abandon Western conception of morality, you would definitely have the LOTF scenerio. But tribal cultures had elaborate moral codes, few of which were written. The shift from one cultural extreme to the other would be pretty harsh, but not unheard of. More of a Tarzan scenario I guess.

An old book comes to mind, I haven't read in many years. Island of the Blue Dolphin. I don't recall the authors name.

Dearest Jauntoo3! Oh how you tempt me with such a juicy post!!! Here I am thinking about all I should be doing to get ready for my trip and now you go and pose such an intersting lot of questions!

I hope I have time tonight to come back to this. For now let me say I consider your thoughts about different moral systems in different cultures. But I think that while morals related to chastity and some other activities might vary, there is still a basis for things like truthfulness and justice in all moral systems. Are you aware of any society based in injustice and dishonesty? Or can we even imagine humans with nonjustice?

lunamoth said:
Survival of the fittest is no way to run a civilization. What distinguishes us as human is that we do try to rise above our animal nature. I disagree with Devil's Advocate, if I am understanding his idea, we can't abandon morality and merge into the unity of nature. At least not full time, or not in this life.

[re-reading this post I see it is a bit disjointed. getting pressed for time. sorry!]
Just to clarify, I don't advocate abandoning morality. Technically, I don't think I advocate anything. My point is simply that natural systems are an unlikely place to find a justification, meaning or order for the human moral impulse. If indeed you start down the path of finding "morality within evolution" you may be putting yourself on the road to eugenics or something like it.

I do personally seek to transcend morality and reconnect with the Oneness through mystical knowledge. I know myself and trust myself to let go, but I don't advocate that as a way of being. Those who know the Tao don't speak of it. Those who speak of it don't know it.

When the Way is forgotten
Duty and justice appear;
Then knowledge and wisdom are born
Along with hypocrisy.

When harmonious relationships dissolve
Then respect and devotion arise;
When a nation falls to chaos
Then loyalty and patriotism are born.

If we could abolish knowledge and wisdom
Then people would profit a hundredfold;
If we could abolish duty and justice
Then harmonious relationships would form;
If we could abolish artifice and profit
Then waste and theft would disappear.

Yet such remedies treat only symptoms
And so they are inadequate.

People need personal remedies:
Reveal your naked self and embrace your original nature;
Bind your self-interest and control your ambition;
Forget your habits and simplify your affairs.

- Tao te Ching

Kindest Regards, Abogado!
Abogado del Diablo said:
If indeed you start down the path of finding "morality within evolution" you may be putting yourself on the road to eugenics or something like it.
I guess I don't see it, because of the "web of life" concept I mentioned earlier. Eugenics is too preoccupied with "competition" and "scarce resources." It has no genuinely moral attributes.

I do personally seek to transcend morality and reconnect with the Oneness through mystical knowledge. I know myself and trust myself to let go, but I don't advocate that as a way of being.
I suppose I don't trust myself. The way I see it, if it is meant to be, it will come to me. On the other hand, if I seek it, who knows what will come my way.

Those who speak of it don't know it.
Just curious, is this a bad thing? I mean, I ask because I know I do not know.

When the Way is forgotten
Duty and justice appear;
Then knowledge and wisdom are born
Along with hypocrisy.

When harmonious relationships dissolve
Then respect and devotion arise;
When a nation falls to chaos
Then loyalty and patriotism are born.
If we could abolish knowledge and wisdom
Then people would profit a hundredfold;
If we could abolish duty and justice
Then harmonious relationships would form;
If we could abolish artifice and profit
Then waste and theft would disappear.

Yet such remedies treat only symptoms
And so they are inadequate.

People need personal remedies:
Reveal your naked self and embrace your original nature;
Bind your self-interest and control your ambition;
Forget your habits and simplify your affairs.

- Tao te Ching
I very much enjoyed the poem. Quite fitting, and timely! :)

lunamoth said:
Dearest Jauntoo3! Oh how you tempt me with such a juicy post!!! Here I am thinking about all I should be doing to get ready for my trip and now you go and pose such an intersting lot of questions!
Lunamoth, please don't stay to long in your trip ! In one day only, you'll find a lot to read !:D I could't believe how many posts I had to read this evening.

And yes, you are right. I found the post juicy since the beginning ! :D

Abogado del Diablo said:
Second, is "evolution" responsible for Eugenics? Is our greater genetic representation in the biosphere achieved through applying our knowledge to override the innate sentiments of "morality?" And should that be our goal? Or should we have any "goal"?
Third, has "morality" outlived its biological usefulness and primed itself for extinction?
The paradigm shift between the amorality of ecology and a discussion of "morality within evolution" may simply be impossible. Eugenics tried to make that shift - to build a "morality" out of the amorality of the "evolutionary process." Did it work? Some would argue that Eugenics brought about such a crisis of conscience through WWII that it marked the beginning of end of overt European and American Colonialism and the racist ideologies that justified it.
I do not believe evolution is responsible for Eugenics. I belive humans without any religion are responsible for it.

When you say Eugenics, in my mind I associate it with this : "survival of the fittest", "the best and the brightest", biologically inferior", "rassenhygiene", etc. :eek:

Even a person less gifted by nature may one day save you life. When you choose to play with the human genetic code, you choose to play God. And this is really dangerous because as humans we are all imperfects. How can a imperfect person create a perfect one ? What is perfection ? Why do we need it anyway ? We are all mortals at the end of the road. Maybe to seek immortal life ? And then, what ?

Kindest Regards, Alexa!

Wonderful post!

alexa said:
I do not believe evolution is responsible for Eugenics. I belive humans without any religion are responsible for it.

When you say Eugenics, in my mind I associate it with this : "survival of the fittest", "the best and the brightest", biologically inferior", "rassenhygiene", etc. :eek:
I know eugenics is a buzzword that causes alarm, that is why I want to avoid this aspect.

Even a person less gifted by nature may one day save you life. When you choose to play with the human genetic code, you choose to play God.
Of course, all life has value. Human life holds the greatest value to us as humans. Genetic manipulation...hmmm. Hadn't thought to go there. In my mind, I see the genetic code as demonstrating the interconnection of all life, the "web of life." All living creatures are related.

And this is really dangerous because as humans we are all imperfects. How can a imperfect person create a perfect one ? What is perfection ? Why do we need it anyway ?
Wow. Perfection, at least to me, always seemed to have a cultural component to it. What is perfection to one society may not be perfect to another. Examples of this are all around, on the evening news. I can see how this ties to eugenics now, thanks.

We are all mortals at the end of the road. Maybe to seek immortal life ? And then, what ?
The great unanswered mystery. :D

Welcome back, Juan ! I missed you ! :)

Don't worry ! I have no intention to go further with eugenics. I understood you message.

I have just felt it was necessary to give the association with it. You know, eugenics implies a genetic manipulation. And yes, it's possible to create perfect human bodies. The only problem is, genetic cannot give you a beautiful mind or spirit or soul, whatever you want to name it.

And all this come from an engineer who had had her thesis in genetic amelioration on poultry ! :D But this is far away from what I do presently and I don't regret it at all.

Regards,

Alexa

juantoo3 said:
Is either extreme then, transcendent or basic (animal), out of normal operating range for modern humanity?

Hmmm, no. But I doubt any person spends all of their time in either extreme state. I think of it as a continuum of states with a bell curve representing where people are on the continuum at any given time. Individuals move between states constantly and the "average" human state also moves. The question I have is whether the top of the bell moves progressively toward the transcendent end of the continuum. Spiritual evolution, if you will.

For the sake of discussion, is the "Lord of the Flies" society amoral if it is tune with the Tao? As presented in the book, because these were creatures raised into another moral model, the "paradigm shift" into a strange moral model would have been hugely taxing mentally. Culture shock in the nth degree.

I am not fluent in Tao, not used to thinking in those terms, so that's why I avoid reflecting on Tao and Chi questions. However, as for the LOTF, I don't think a small group of people isolated from their moral base experience a paradigm shift. I (probably incorrectly) think of that phenomenon as something that affects larger society, a change that overtakes the old way of thinking, the previous model is replaced with a new model. It's been a long time since I read it, but I think TLOTF shows what happens when the societal checks and balances on our behavior are suddenly removed for a small group of people, in this case a small group of immature people. They have lost their moral base, they have to invent their own society, and a type of survival of the fittest quickly takes over. It's not like they suddenly inherited the accumulated wisdom and experience and morals of a culture that had adapted to island life over the millenia.

But if those boys had been raised into that morality...their moral model would have been far less severe. They would have the trappings they were stripped of in the plane wreck; parents, family, a system with their betterment at heart, and more social support. Consider the LOTF process in reverse; bring a "savage" into the modern world, forcibly and decidedly.

OK, I guess this is what I was talking about too, just didn't get you at first. I guess I'm thinking that if your moral ground is pulled out from under you and you have to start from scratch, it's likely that you will take on a survival of the fittest behavior until you, or your offspring, know where your next meals are coming from. What kind of God do you think people in this situation will find?

True, but is it not wise to consider fitness? Our western civilizations are constructed to provide excessive abundance, and that abundance is to our detriment. Our people are overweight and lazy, or fitness nuts, both of which extremes can kill. And if nature is any respectable indicator, as scientists frequently tell us, then we are falling apart as a species and rotting on the vine, physically, mentally, and spiritually.

We are no longer living in the environment our bodies are fittest for so we try to use our brains to adapt, and it works OK but not perfectly. The problem is that environment determines fitness and our environment is changing faster than we can understand it. We can't predict the weather tomorrow, much less the weather hundreds of years from now. How could we ever decide what would make us more fit for the changes ahead? We don't have to, and should not, worry about our genetic fitness. That is not to say that we should not try to understand and find cures for genetic disease. Oh boy, do I sense a whole other debate coming on??

How fragile we are, how fragile we are.

Abogado del Diablo said:
Just to clarify, I don't advocate abandoning morality.

Actually, I didn't really think you were advocating this, except in the role of devil's advocate, of course. I apologize for making it sound that way.

Technically, I don't think I advocate anything. My point is simply that natural systems are an unlikely place to find a justification, meaning or order for the human moral impulse.

Agreed.

If indeed you start down the path of finding "morality within evolution" you may be putting yourself on the road to eugenics or something like it.

I don't think you can find morality in evolution. It's interesting to explore the idea of just how much of our morality can be explained by natural selection, and where is the limit of our understanding of this phenomenon. As you pointed out earlier, it is ultimately a matter of faith whether we believe all of our virtues have a basis in evolutionary psychology or not, and whether this is even important.

Eugenics is abhorrent in its assumptions and methods, and without merit scientifically. Eugenics is immoral, and this time I am using the term the way I intend. I think you might agree--we just need to get to this point by our own reasoning.

Thank you for the poem. Makes me think about the term Vaj uses-"co-arising," is it? Again, I am not fluent in Eastern philosophy, so I'm probably way off base.

alexa said:
Lunamoth, please don't stay to long in your trip ! In one day only, you'll find a lot to read !:D I could't believe how many posts I had to read this evening.

And yes, you are right. I found the post juicy since the beginning ! :D

My bathrooms and floors are still not clean! So much to do, so little time. And I have been addicted to this thread.

Have a good week!

lunamoth said:
I don't think you can find morality in evolution. It's interesting to explore the idea of just how much of our morality can be explained by natural selection, and where is the limit of our understanding of this phenomenon. As you pointed out earlier, it is ultimately a matter of faith whether we believe all of our virtues have a basis in evolutionary psychology or not, and whether this is even important.
I have another question : Are we really evoluated ? On one side we have countries with a huge economical developement and space programmes for future basis on other planets. On the other side, we have countries so poor, that their children have to work to survive. Worst, in 21st century we have cannibals among us. :eek:

We need morals to learn how to be a better person. I think this is the point in all children's stories : what can one learn from somebody's life. And we have an entire panoply of religions to support that. Finally, we can find morality only in human societies, societies with a great history and culture and religion.

lunamoth said:
My bathrooms and floors are still not clean! So much to do, so little time. And I have been addicted to this thread.
Have a good week!
You, too ! :)

Back