Evolution is Unscientific

This is one interpretation (including some info I wasn't aware of). It is noted in the New Testament that John the Baptist ate Locusts and wild honey...presumably that was the mainstay of his diet.
I think it is natural. We eat what is available to us. Locusts are good for nutrition for Arabian countries. We do not get as many locusts swarms as we used to get in my childhood. I heard that people prepared pickles from locusts.

I think it is natural. We eat what is available to us. Locusts are good for nutrition for Arabian countries. We do not get as many locusts swarms as we used to get in my childhood. I heard that people prepared pickles from locusts.
It's like during the war because of hunger some French reverted to cooking frogs and snails with lots of garlic -- which have now gone on to become an expensive delicacy in restaurants, lol

Last edited:
Since John the Baptist was the son of a Temple Priest, I think it is fair to say he certainly knew Kosher. That he subsisted on Locusts and honey living a "simple" life in the desert outside of community life on one hand sets him outside of mainstream ("just another nutter"), on the other hand he still kept Kosher. So there is some esoteric teaching there I haven't fully deciphered.

It's like during the war because of hunger some French reverted to cooking frogs and snails with lots of garlic -- which have now gone on to become an expensive delicacy in restaurants, lol
And some of those snails escaped from a transport truck in the Greater Los Angeles region, and now that whole valley is infested with them.

I didn't realize as a kid that I was crushing escargot, but they were eating my garden.

• Haha
Reactions: RJM
You need to study Biology.
All brains have developed according to their needs.
I am not Amir, and I don't play him on TV.

Disclaimer out of the way, human brains did not and do not "need" rational thought to survive and even thrive. That's rather the point, and where Amir and I will agree. There is no evident natural instigation to promote symbolic reasoning.

If you disagree...then show me the natural influence behind that evolution. I see none, and I've looked for decades. Simply saying humans required math is untenable, not to mention simply false. It is grasping at straws. There are ample demonstrations of humans with damaged or undeveloped brains that function well enough to survive, quite well under certain circumstances. These folks might not be able to balance a checkbook, but might be a savant in a garden or stacking bricks or whispering to animals. I've met a number of them personally over the years, so the psychology is plainly there to be seen.

And none have evolved such as ours from ape to primitive man to modern man. I can agree with the idea of A Need.
What "need" is there for symbolic thought? I see none. I need to breathe air (oxygen/nitrogen). I need to acquire and eat food. I need to drink water. I need to urinate and defecate. In order for the species to continue I need to procreate. I need to keep warm in winter. I need to defend myself from predators and aggressive animals (including other humans). I need to cook my food (now) because my digestive tract no longer functions to process raw meats. I can't think of a lot more that I truly need to survive and thrive.

Everything else is superfluous. Thinking is primarily superfluous. Symbolic reasoning is superfluous. Writing and math are superfluous.

What "need" is there for symbolic thought? I see none. I need to breathe air (oxygen/nitrogen). I need to acquire and eat food. I need to drink water. I need to urinate and defecate. In order for the species to continue I need to procreate. I need to keep warm in winter. I need to defend myself from predators and aggressive animals (including other humans). I need to cook my food (now) because my digestive tract no longer functions to process raw meats. I can't think of a lot more that I truly need to survive and thrive.

Everything else is superfluous. Thinking is primarily superfluous. Symbolic reasoning is superfluous. Writing and math are superfluous.
"symbolic thought" . . . what are you talking about?

Sometimes beliefs makes them unintelligent, sometimes they are unintelligent even without their beliefs. It depends on what education they got.
Interesting...
I tend to think of intelligence as denoting an innate ability, brainpower, the ability to problem solve, process calculation, learn language, etc.
Beliefs are ideas we adhere to. Training develops technical skills (how to do) Education is the development of our intellectual skill (such as critical thinking) and knowledge base.
If someone holds a false belief, it tells us only a little about their education and very little about their intelligence.
If someone only holds an unproven or unprovable belief, it tells us even less about their education, training, or innate intellectual ability.

What "need" is there for symbolic thought?
Evolution, however, is not driven strictly or solely from needs for survival. That has an impact, yes, but realize... Evolution is driven by increased reproductive fitness. That term, reproductive fitness, refers to the ability of an individual to pass its genes on to another generation.

If people who used symbolic thought (language, counting, pictures, etc) managed to increase their reproductive fitness (that is, get more of their genes into the next generation and beyond) then that would mean the genes for those traits would survive and multiply.

Since John the Baptist was the son of a Temple Priest, I think it is fair to say he certainly knew Kosher. That he subsisted on Locusts and honey living a "simple" life in the desert outside of community life on one hand sets him outside of mainstream ("just another nutter"), on the other hand he still kept Kosher. So there is some esoteric teaching there I haven't fully deciphered.
You said "just another nutter" and he baptized Jesus. What more explanation is required? ;)

I am not Amir, and I don't play him on TV.
There is no evident natural instigation to promote symbolic reasoning.
The Shaman saw that people will respect and fear him and bring offerings to him (of course, for the entities that he created) without him needing to go to hunt and face the dangers. On top of that, he could select the most desirable woman from the congregation. For that the Shaman had to create appropriate stories. Shamans in later ages created their own stories. They are now known as religious scriptures. A Shaman could latch on to the stories created by Shamans of earlier ages. Don't you see that happening?
Akhenaten, Zoroaster, Moses, Jesus, Mohammad, Joseph Smith, Bahaollah, Mirza Ghulam Ahmad, etc.
So too in Hinduism, the Brahmins, though they did not claim to be messengers of any God.

Last edited:
If someone holds a false belief, it tells us only a little about their education and very little about their intelligence.
If someone only holds an unproven or unprovable belief, it tells us even less about their education, training, or innate intellectual ability.
If the person is holding a false belief for some benefit, then I will consider the person as smart, intelligent.
If for no benefit, then the person is dumb, not intelligent.
Take the example of the Shaman. Who is intelligent and who is not? :)

Evolution, however, is not driven strictly or solely from needs for survival. That has an impact, yes, but realize... Evolution is driven by increased reproductive fitness. That term, reproductive fitness, refers to the ability of an individual to pass its genes on to another generation.

If people who used symbolic thought (language, counting, pictures, etc) managed to increase their reproductive fitness (that is, get more of their genes into the next generation and beyond) then that would mean the genes for those traits would survive and multiply.
I think I see what you are saying, but I politely disagree. Every evidence that comes to mind regarding evolution is that environmental pressures play on the genetics (epi-genetics) causing adaptations, and only over time do these adaptations (presumably) cause speciation.

Reproduction has little to do with how a human brain functions. Indeed, the old adage is that a man's thinking turns from his big head to his little head with next to no reasoning at all.

There is a point in the not all so distant past where humans crossed a line and began utilizing symbolic reasoning. That symbolic reasoning is now so pervasive we have difficulty seeing how it was prior. We right now are communicating by symbolic reasoning and symbolic thought. It must be taught. Once taught, we tend to forget how we reasoned previously, dismissing it as the thoughts of a child.

Speech (and song) are natural in that other animals communicate by making sounds, recognizable to each other. So human speech of itself isn't an indicator. But writing is an indicator of symbolic thought; every letter is a symbol, every ideogram is a symbol, every numeral is a symbol. There is no environmental pressure that can bring about symbols and symbolic thought. The symbols are not the thing they represent.

The explosion of thought in Mesopotamia just after the Ice Age and humans incorporating grain into their diet (bread, beer) and as cattle feed, spurred such an exponential growth in cumulative "knowledge" that has yet to be matched. We come pretty close with this past century, but in a very short span of time by evolution standards, humans developed mathematics, writing, astronomy, construction of walled cities, pottery, textiles, the wheel, and weaponry. This was at the end of the Stone Age and the beginning of the use of certain softer metals like copper and tin. All of this took place in a comparatively short span of time - without any evident environmental pressure.

The presumption has always been that the opioids in grain affected the human brain. Humans did not evolve to consume grain, we are not ruminants. Indeed, a very common human allergy is to grain.

This is why I have long viewed the Adam and Eve / Tree of Knowledge story as an allegory for the "opening of the mind" brought on by the agricultural revolution. At some point humanity crossed a line into "knowing they were naked." Previously they didn't care, because they still thought and functioned solely as animals. With the advent of a grain diet and the transitions brought about developing symbolic thought and reasoning, whole new vistas of intelligence opened up. But none of this was due to environmental pressures, it was either a happy accident or there was some deliberate external nudge.

Last edited:
The Shaman saw that people will respect and fear him and bring offerings to him (of course, for the entities that he created) without him needing to go to hunt and face the dangers. On top of that, he could select the most desirable woman from the congregation. For that the Shaman had to create appropriate stories. Shamans in later ages created their own stories. They are now known as religious scriptures. A Shaman could latch on to the stories created by Shamans of earlier ages. Don't you see that happening?
Akhenaten, Zoroaster, Moses, Jesus, Mohammad, Joseph Smith, Bahaollah, Mirza Ghulam Ahmad, etc.
So too in Hinduism, the Brahmins, though they did not claim to be messengers of any God.
I am thinking your understanding of a Shaman and mine differ significantly. I think deliberate deception is a development that came primarily after the agricultural revolution. Deception almost demands symbolic reasoning. Be that as it may...

A genuine Shaman, not a pretender, has and promotes an intuitive connection to the Divine. This is understood today as a Creative Mind, and throughout history there are those creative peoples who have had their muses and geniuses, some cultures even call these "spirit guides."

Are cunning, deceptive people capable of what you suggest? Absolutely, particularly in cultures that promote lies and lying. Lies were not promoted in Native American cultures, habitual liars among the Indian tribes were outcast, or worse. Lying deliberately was actively discouraged. No doubt that played a role when the gummint lied repeatedly by treaty, and the Indians came to dismiss and disbelieve anything that came out of a white man's mouth (forked tongue - like a serpent).

That would make an interesting test, if a person today with brain abnormalities that prevent symbolic reasoning is or can be a habitual liar. It is known that liars require more time to answer a direct question, that's basic psychology, a liar has to review the angles before responding, where someone telling the truth simply blurts it out. I know the mentally challenged persons within my circle tend to be very truthful people, which leads me to lean still further into my assessment of this.

A true Shaman cannot be a liar. It just doesn't work that way.

Last edited:
Back