Why I take the Bible literally

I'll be corrected if wrong, but my understanding is when the Jews were making their Canon there was two main groups each had a different creation and flood story that was sacred to them. So neither would agree on a scripture that did not contain their creation or flood story.

The compromise was to use both.

This speaks to an interfaith compromise to me...that our overall path being more important than our individual faiths understanding.

..All the major religions have flat earth believers and have their own ancient cosmology maps. It wasn't until mid 19th century that Americans started adding the globes into schools.

Why would Joshua command the sun and moon to stand still and not the earth?
I guess you are not an airline pilot..
..or an astronaut ;)

I'll be corrected if wrong, but my understanding is when the Jews were making their Canon there was two main groups each had a different creation and flood story that was sacred to them. So neither would agree on a scripture that did not contain their creation or flood story.

The compromise was to use both.

This speaks to an interfaith compromise to me...that our overall path being more important than our individual faiths understanding.
This actually speaks on my personal belief because in the grand scheme of things.. it's not a salvation issue and truly what I believe while taking the bible literally. I dont feel comfortable attempting to change the Word to fit what I think it could mean based on what makes sense to me. His ways are higher than mine and like in the book of Job how can my mind grasp the enormity of God's mind and ways. That's a scary path to go down.

I read this and wondered as to why the silence, why not state the obvious. With what was stated in this OP about Science, there is ample proof.

All I can offer with what has been offered, is that I thank God there is a new teaching that Religion and Science are the wings of one bird. That both are needed in determining our relative Truth.

What about the two voyagers and the Hubble Space Telescope? What about the 1.5 million photos from Astronaut's? For gosh sake, there is even commercial flights into space now. What about my satellite phone, that I use 400 km away from any infrastructure? The evidence is overwhelming and to put it aside as some conspiracy theory, is not a just or honest investigation for truth. To say one has based this on the Bible is not justice for Jesus the Christ.

Sorry @Faithfulservant, it would not be just of me to let all that slide. I have said it, I wish you much happiness, a great life, strong faith, I just cannot get my head around such denial of what is our current reality, I have never actually met anybody that holds to these views in this age. I always wondered how I would react, poorly it seems.

Regards Tony

Last edited:
I'm curious how this thread would have gone if I had not shared that little tidbit of my belief. I questioned myself whether or not to do it because it inflames people or whether I cared what people said or thought. No I don't care. Sorry. Maybe I'm making progress on my people pleasing issues after all.

I'm curious how this thread would have gone if I had not shared that little tidbit of my belief. I questioned myself whether or not to do it because it inflames people or whether I cared what people said or thought. No I don't care. Sorry. Maybe I'm making progress on my people pleasing issues after all
Most likely a lot better 😉

But really, you have to address this, this is no longer a valid position that can be based entirly on faith. We can not properly share the Love of Jesus the Christ, if we do not embrace all the creation given to us by God via Christ.

I say this out of Love, not condemnation of the person, but addressing the error in a mindset against God given science.

Regards Tony

this is no longer a valid position that can be based entirly on faith
Not.to you eh? Faith is faith on things unseen unproven, and even proven wrong by science. It don't matter...it is what people believe, it helps them, and hurts no one.

Lastly brother, you may speak of Jesus in Bahai, but bahai surely ain't Christian belief...therefore if this were in belief and spirituality or in science forum....you have every right to bark out....but it ain't.

We have corrals here for a reason, and you know that!

I wanted to address this to explain why I might be intolerant of those that take the bible out of context or pick and choose passages they like and leave out the rest.

I believe with all my heart that it's God's direct message to me. Think about how Holy and Sacred that would make it that God spoke and the written Word is the result. To deny that is blasphemy to me but I understand that not everyone believes as I do.. but when Scripture is twisted beyond recognition it would be as if I was giving permission for someone to blaspheme God by not answering back.

Ok as to why I take it literally. Question if you were wrong in interpreting it in a way God did not intend and developed a false teachings and shared that teaching with others.. the bible says their blood is on your hands. If I take it literally then when I face God I can stand on the fact that I took Him at His Word and didn't put my Self into it.

What this means. Yes the earth was created in six literal days. The earth is approximately 6000 years old. I'm more and more convinced we are not traveling around the sun 67000 mph and we are in an enclosed environment. I believe there is a place of torment Sheol and a Lake of Fire Hell. If I'm wrong then I'll find out later but by taking it literally I am secure in not fabricating based on mans teaching.

I believe the Bible is complete and doesn't need further interpretation or messengers with a different message. God's plan of Salvation is clear and that's what it's all about. How He is dealing with Mans rebellion and how He made a way for our redemption. I feel secure in my Salvation and it boggles my mind that someone could possibly try to convince me that it's wrong and they have a different truth. Funny right?

What a wild ride this is!
The Bible doesn't say that the Earth is 6,000 years old. I understand why many followers believe this to be true, but the only thing around 6,000 years old is the human race from Adam.

1. No date is given for the creation of the heavens and the Earth.
2. Genesis 1:2 states "The earth was without form, and void; and darkness was on the face of the deep." The Hebrew word translated "was" (hāyəṯāh) is also translated as "became". Something may have caused Earth to become void and dark.
3. The Hebrew word for the phrase "without form" is tohu, which means formless, confusion, empty, wasteland, a place of chaos. The word "void" is the Hebrew word bohu, which means emptiness, void, waste or ruin. I find it odd that God would have created the Earth to originally be chaotic. It's possible that something happened to Earth before God placed Adam there.
4. Consider these verses: Jeremiah 4:23 I beheld the earth, and, lo, it was without form, and void; and the heavens had no light. 24 I beheld the mountains, and, lo, they trembled, and all the hills moved lightly. 25 I beheld, and, lo, there was no man, and all the birds of the heavens fled.
It's a prophecy of how the end times will look. They mirror Genesis. Could it be that God had to intervene on Earth before? Possibly against a rebellion of angels?

5. Psalm 104:30 goes into further detail of God's creations. Notice that He is said to "renew" the Earth. Could it be that He had to renew His creation after a previous creation?
"You send forth thy Spirit, they are created: and You renew the face of the Earth."

Psalm 104:32 "He looked upon the Earth, and it trembled, and He touched the hills, and they smoke"

Sounds like Earth was in bad shape.
6. When God created the universe, the angels appeared to all be in harmony and celebrate the creation.
Job 38:4-7 "Where were you when I laid the foundations of the earth...when the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?"

It states "ALL" the sons of God. Why would Satan be happy for the creation? But a week later he wasn't?

7. Ezekiel 28:14-16 "You were the anointed cherub who covers; I established you; you were on the holy mountain of God; you walked back and forth in the midst of fiery stones. You were perfect in your ways from the day you were created, till iniquity was found in you. By the abundance of your trading you became filled with violence within, and you sinned; therefore I cast you as a profane thing out of the mountain of God."

All of this happened in a week?

This is of course my interpretation of the scriptures and just my opinion.

To say one has based this on the Bible is not justice for Jesus the Christ.
You can make the Bible say anything you want it to, and make Jesus into whoever you want him to be, Tony -- you know that

Last edited:
Your point?

This is a dishonestly doctored video, as a google search will show, Aldrin is really explaining that America did not go back to the moon after the Apollo missions because now that had been done, new money was allocated for new space exploration missions. I've just selected one article, but there are lots of them to be found:

The moon landing took place on July 20, 1969, with astronauts Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin emerging from the Apollo 11 Lunar Module and taking the first human steps on the lunar surface. Photographs from the mission can be seen (here), , (here) , (here).

In the circulating video, however, Aldrin’s remarks are taken out of their original context and truncated to suggest he is describing the Apollo 11 mission as never having happened.

The first clip was excerpted from a Q&A with Aldrin at the Oxford Union in 2015 (see the 30:17 timestamp) (youtu.be/HV_bD3xQG9Y). When asked by an audience member what “the scariest moment of the journey” was, Aldrin responds, “Scariest? It didn’t happen. It could’ve been scary.”

Aldrin recounts looking at the floor of the lunar module, and amid the dust, “there was something that didn’t look like it belonged there,” referring to a “broken circuit breaker” (see the 33:45 timestamp).

He explains how pushing the circuit breaker with a pen sent the necessary power to an engine that ultimately helped the crew return to Earth (see the 35:48 timestamp).

The second clip shows Aldrin at the 2015 National Book Festival, where a young girl interviews him about space (see the 7:10 timestamp here). When asked why nobody has “been to the moon in such a long time,” he responds, “because we didn’t go there, and that’s the way it happened.”

The version on social media cuts off Aldrin going on to explain that “we need to know why something stopped in the past if we wanted to keep it going” (see the 7:45 timestamp). He says that money is a factor, as more money is needed for new space equipment and resources “instead of keep doing the same thing.”

The last clip shows Aldrin interviewed by Conan O’Brien in 2000, discussing animations used by broadcasters during coverage of the module landing, and TV broadcasts intercutting these animations with audio, but not video, because there was no one present on the moon’s surface to have filmed the landing itself (see the 1:29 timestamp) (here).

Reuters Fact Check has previously explained the context of Aldrin’s remarks in the Conan O’Brien interview in detail (here).

Reuters has also previously debunked claims that the moon landing was faked (here), (here), (here).

A spokesperson for Buzz Aldrin did not respond to requests for comment.

VERDICT
Misleading. The spliced clips from interviews with Buzz Aldrin do not show him saying that the 1969 moon landing was faked or didn’t happen.

This article was produced by the Reuters Fact Check team. Read more about our work to fact-check social media posts (here).

Last edited:
This is a dishonestly doctored video, as a google search will show, Aldrin is really explaining that America did not go back to the moon after the Apollo missions because now that had been done, new money was allocated for new space exploration missions. I've just selected one article, but there are lots of them to be found:

The moon landing took place on July 20, 1969, with astronauts Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin emerging from the Apollo 11 Lunar Module and taking the first human steps on the lunar surface. Photographs from the mission can be seen (here), , (here) , (here).

In the circulating video, however, Aldrin’s remarks are taken out of their original context and truncated to suggest he is describing the Apollo 11 mission as never having happened.

The first clip was excerpted from a Q&A with Aldrin at the Oxford Union in 2015 (see the 30:17 timestamp) (youtu.be/HV_bD3xQG9Y). When asked by an audience member what “the scariest moment of the journey” was, Aldrin responds, “Scariest? It didn’t happen. It could’ve been scary.”

Aldrin recounts looking at the floor of the lunar module, and amid the dust, “there was something that didn’t look like it belonged there,” referring to a “broken circuit breaker” (see the 33:45 timestamp).

He explains how pushing the circuit breaker with a pen sent the necessary power to an engine that ultimately helped the crew return to Earth (see the 35:48 timestamp).

The second clip shows Aldrin at the 2015 National Book Festival, where a young girl interviews him about space (see the 7:10 timestamp here). When asked why nobody has “been to the moon in such a long time,” he responds, “because we didn’t go there, and that’s the way it happened.”

The version on social media cuts off Aldrin going on to explain that “we need to know why something stopped in the past if we wanted to keep it going” (see the 7:45 timestamp). He says that money is a factor, as more money is needed for new space equipment and resources “instead of keep doing the same thing.”

The last clip shows Aldrin interviewed by Conan O’Brien in 2000, discussing animations used by broadcasters during coverage of the module landing, and TV broadcasts intercutting these animations with audio, but not video, because there was no one present on the moon’s surface to have filmed the landing itself (see the 1:29 timestamp) (here).

Reuters Fact Check has previously explained the context of Aldrin’s remarks in the Conan O’Brien interview in detail (here).

Reuters has also previously debunked claims that the moon landing was faked (here), (here), (here).

A spokesperson for Buzz Aldrin did not respond to requests for comment.

VERDICT
Misleading. The spliced clips from interviews with Buzz Aldrin do not show him saying that the 1969 moon landing was faked or didn’t happen.

This article was produced by the Reuters Fact Check team. Read more about our work to fact-check social media posts (here).
I posted that as mostly a joke to dig at the posters patronizing me. I figured he was drunk. Lol

Edit

Last edited:
Reactions: RJM
The Bible doesn't say that the Earth is 6,000 years old. I understand why many followers believe this to be true, but the only thing around 6,000 years old is the human race from Adam.

1. No date is given for the creation of the heavens and the Earth.
2. Genesis 1:2 states "The earth was without form, and void; and darkness was on the face of the deep." The Hebrew word translated "was" (hāyəṯāh) is also translated as "became". Something may have caused Earth to become void and dark.
3. The Hebrew word for the phrase "without form" is tohu, which means formless, confusion, empty, wasteland, a place of chaos. The word "void" is the Hebrew word bohu, which means emptiness, void, waste or ruin. I find it odd that God would have created the Earth to originally be chaotic. It's possible that something happened to Earth before God placed Adam there.
4. Consider these verses: Jeremiah 4:23 I beheld the earth, and, lo, it was without form, and void; and the heavens had no light. 24 I beheld the mountains, and, lo, they trembled, and all the hills moved lightly. 25 I beheld, and, lo, there was no man, and all the birds of the heavens fled.
It's a prophecy of how the end times will look. They mirror Genesis. Could it be that God had to intervene on Earth before? Possibly against a rebellion of angels?

5. Psalm 104:30 goes into further detail of God's creations. Notice that He is said to "renew" the Earth. Could it be that He had to renew His creation after a previous creation?
"You send forth thy Spirit, they are created: and You renew the face of the Earth."

Psalm 104:32 "He looked upon the Earth, and it trembled, and He touched the hills, and they smoke"

Sounds like Earth was in bad shape.
6. When God created the universe, the angels appeared to all be in harmony and celebrate the creation.
Job 38:4-7 "Where were you when I laid the foundations of the earth...when the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?"

It states "ALL" the sons of God. Why would Satan be happy for the creation? But a week later he wasn't?

7. Ezekiel 28:14-16 "You were the anointed cherub who covers; I established you; you were on the holy mountain of God; you walked back and forth in the midst of fiery stones. You were perfect in your ways from the day you were created, till iniquity was found in you. By the abundance of your trading you became filled with violence within, and you sinned; therefore I cast you as a profane thing out of the mountain of God."

All of this happened in a week?

This is of course my interpretation of the scriptures and just my opinion.
I'm not opposed to this theory either. I've had pastor teachers teach this theory and it's compelling to me but I lean towards young earth as I believe Genesis one for me should be taken literally.

I'm really looking forward to when God will fill in all the blanks and I can Praise Him for He is Good and left some mystery for us. Just talking about all this brings Him Glory.

I had more to say but deleted the comments.

I get the fact that ages and life spans can be added up, however there are 'wildcard' events that have taken place all throughout Scripture.

One of them is the Tower of Babel incident. There are indications that Time itself was altered. Millions of years may have passed in the blink of an eye when that happened, thus the 6,000 year theory is moot.

Think of Noah and the Flood. One day to Noah could have been a thousand years long...

2 Peter 3:6
"Whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished:"

The above is referring to the Flood. Now look what we read...

2 Peter 3:8
"But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day."

Why would God link those two verses together like that?

If Noah was in the Ark for 360 days for example, then that would mean 360,000 years passed outside of the Ark, like the movie Time Machine.

See? There is no way to be sure of the Timeline.

Last edited:
Also...

If God can create Adam and Eve with age, God can create the Earth with age as well.

You should watch my video on the Genesis CAD Model...

The entire Creation Account mimics what a 3D modeler would do to create a world in a computer. It is the most efficient way to get something to MFG. The Bible is written from the viewpoint of an Engineer. Think of Moses and the blueprints for the Tabernacle. There is an important theme being taught here about how things are created.

Reactions: RJM
Back