Why I take the Bible literally

They are spiritual messages worded in natural language. But people get locked into the words. Christ often taught in seeming contradictions, to make the point that words are only words, imo

The literal interpretation is always my 'go-to'.

If I have difficulty understanding a word in a literal sense, I look for the symbolic meaning as plan-B. Note that the symbolic meaning must be defined by another verse and never outside of the Bible.

A simple example would be a Star falling from Heaven...

Revelation 9:1
"And the fifth angel sounded, and I saw a star fall from heaven unto the earth: and to him was given the key of the bottomless pit."

Outside of the Bible, a Star can mean another Sun that is far away. I suppose CERN could create a Black Hole one day and thus, Stars could literally be inhaled from other parts of the galaxy and 'fall to Earth' in a literal way.

However, we see in the verse that the Star is a 'Him' which suggests a living being of some sort. Therefore, a Star as defined by the Bible could have a different meaning than our modern understanding.

If we look at other verses, we find that a Star could mean 'Angel'...

Revelation 1:20
"The mystery of the seven stars which thou sawest in my right hand, and the seven golden candlesticks. The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches: and the seven candlesticks which thou sawest are the seven churches."

Now we are down to the semantics of the word 'literal'. What does literal mean with regards to Scripture? Are we talking literal as how the Bible defines words? Or do we define a word as being literal as a modern dictionary would define said word?

Last edited:
I have been blessed many times by taking the literal meaning first and not discarding it as so many often do.

Example:

Revelation 18:24
"And in her was found the blood of prophets, and of saints, and of all that were slain upon the earth."

Most folks believe that the Blood in the above verse is symbolic and not literal. They then close their Bibles and imagine something else, like Rome or the Papacy or whatever and end up contradicting many verses. This is why so many people have no idea who Mystery Babylon is.

I on the other hand decided to simply believe that 'Blood' means the literal Blood that flows inside of us and that there is a real living Woman drinking it. I was then able to follow where the verses led and determine precisely who Mystery Babylon was. In addition, I was able to solve several other Mysteries that seemed to be unrelated at first.

All of the verses match with precision. There are no contradictions.

Most folks believe that the Blood in the above verse is symbolic and not literal. They then close their Bibles and imagine something else, like Rome or the Papacy or whatever and end up contradicting many verses. This is why so many people have no idea who Mystery Babylon is.

Here is a perfect example of what I am talking about...

THE book of Revelation contains expressions that are not to be understood literally. (Revelation 1:1)

For example, it mentions a woman with the name "Babylon the Great" written on her forehead.

This woman is said to be sitting on "crowds and nations." (Revelation 17:1, 5, 15)

Since no literal woman could do this, Babylon the Great must be symbolic.

They discarded any literal interpretation and came to several false conclusions because of it.

I would never limit God to anything. I am only acutely aware that He has given us what He wanted us to know for now. The rest is a mystery to be pondered for sure but we can't know for sure until we meet Him. I am also very careful to not add to scripture with I might think it could be just say simply I believe a "theory" and it's my opinion alone

This is why I take it literally as I feel that's the safest option for me.

The literal interpretation is always my 'go-to'.

If I have difficulty understanding a word in a literal sense, I look for the symbolic meaning as plan-B. Note that the symbolic meaning must be defined by another verse and never outside of the Bible.

A simple example would be a Star falling from Heaven...

Revelation 9:1
"And the fifth angel sounded, and I saw a star fall from heaven unto the earth: and to him was given the key of the bottomless pit."

Outside of the Bible, a Star can mean another Sun that is far away. I suppose CERN could create a Black Hole one day and thus, Stars could literally be inhaled from other parts of the galaxy and 'fall to Earth' in a literal way.

However, we see in the verse that the Star is a 'Him' which suggests a living being of some sort. Therefore, a Star as defined by the Bible could have a different meaning than our modern understanding.

If we look at other verses, we find that a Star could mean 'Angel'...

Revelation 1:20
"The mystery of the seven stars which thou sawest in my right hand, and the seven golden candlesticks. The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches: and the seven candlesticks which thou sawest are the seven churches."

Now we are down to the semantics of the word 'literal'. What does literal mean with regards to Scripture? Are we talking literal as how the Bible defines words? Or do we define a word as being literal as a modern dictionary would define said word?
He knows the name of all the stars.

Not.to you eh? Faith is faith on things unseen unproven, and even proven wrong by science. It don't matter...it is what people believe, it helps them, and hurts no one.

Lastly brother, you may speak of Jesus in Bahai, but bahai surely ain't Christian belief...therefore if this were in belief and spirituality or in science forum....you have every right to bark out....but it ain't.

We have corrals here for a reason, and you know that!
I disagree, radical views of both science and faith have been detrimental to the progress of the human race and have been the cause of suffering of many people.

It is about time we have the maturity to stand up and see how they both provide a path to the progress of the human race. We also have to consider, that as one human race, even our own private thoughts, the things we watch and participate in, have reprocussions on the whole.

Regards Tony

even our own private thoughts, the things we watch and participate in, have reprocussions on the whole.
Baha'i thought police. Have you read 1984 by George Orwell, Tony? Or Animal Farm by the same author?

Last edited:
Baha'i thought police. Have you read 1984 by George Orwell, Tony? Or Animal Farm by the same author?
No, I have not read those books.

One has to police their own thoughts RJM. We are good, or we are evil. The Spirit that is Christ needs to be our choice of thoughts.

So you become the police of your own thoughts.

"The reality of man is his thought, not his material body. The thought force and the animal force are partners. Although man is part of the animal creation, he possesses a power of thought superior to all other created beings." Paris Talks, Abdu’l-Baha

This is a good example of how as a Christian and a Baha'i we are One RJM, this quote from Abdul'baha, is also what it is to be a follower of Christ.

"I charge you all that each one of you concentrate all the thoughts of your heart on love and unity. When a thought of war comes, oppose it by a stronger thought of peace. Athought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love. Thoughts of war bring destruction to all harmony, well-being, restfulness and content.

Thoughts of love are constructive of brotherhood, peace, friendship, and happiness.

When soldiers of the world draw their swords to kill, soldiers of God clasp each other’s hands! So may all the savagery of man disappear by the Mercy of God, working through the pure in heart and the sincere of soul. Do not think the peace of the world an ideal impossible to attain!

Nothing is impossible to the Divine Benevolence of God.

If you desire with all your heart, friendship with every race on earth, your thought, spiritual and positive, will spread; it will become the desire of others, growing stronger and stronger, until it reaches the minds of all men.
Do not despair! Work steadily. Sincerity and love will conquer hate. How many seemingly impossible events are coming to pass in these days! Set your faces steadily towards the Light of the World. Show love to all; ‘Love is the breath of the Holy Spirit in the heart of Man’. Take courage! God never forsakes His children who strive and work and pray! Let your hearts be filled with the strenuous desire that tranquillity and harmony may encircle all this warring world. So will success crown your efforts, and with the universal brotherhood will come the Kingdom of God in peace and goodwill." Abdul'baha

To those that may wish to read a out how thoughts shape our reality, here is one person's blog on this subject.

Regards Tony

No, I have not read those books.

One has to police their own thoughts RJM. We are good, or we are evil. The Spirit that is Christ needs to be our choice of thoughts.

So you become the police of your own thoughts.

"The reality of man is his thought, not his material body. The thought force and the animal force are partners. Although man is part of the animal creation, he possesses a power of thought superior to all other created beings." Paris Talks, Abdu’l-Baha

This is a good example of how as a Christian and a Baha'i we are One RJM, this quote from Abdul'baha, is also what it is to be a follower of Christ.

"I charge you all that each one of you concentrate all the thoughts of your heart on love and unity. When a thought of war comes, oppose it by a stronger thought of peace. Athought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love. Thoughts of war bring destruction to all harmony, well-being, restfulness and content.

Thoughts of love are constructive of brotherhood, peace, friendship, and happiness.

When soldiers of the world draw their swords to kill, soldiers of God clasp each other’s hands! So may all the savagery of man disappear by the Mercy of God, working through the pure in heart and the sincere of soul. Do not think the peace of the world an ideal impossible to attain!

Nothing is impossible to the Divine Benevolence of God.

If you desire with all your heart, friendship with every race on earth, your thought, spiritual and positive, will spread; it will become the desire of others, growing stronger and stronger, until it reaches the minds of all men.
Do not despair! Work steadily. Sincerity and love will conquer hate. How many seemingly impossible events are coming to pass in these days! Set your faces steadily towards the Light of the World. Show love to all; ‘Love is the breath of the Holy Spirit in the heart of Man’. Take courage! God never forsakes His children who strive and work and pray! Let your hearts be filled with the strenuous desire that tranquillity and harmony may encircle all this warring world. So will success crown your efforts, and with the universal brotherhood will come the Kingdom of God in peace and goodwill." Abdul'baha

To those that may wish to read a out how thoughts shape our reality, here is one person's blog on this subject.

Regards Tony
Thanks for the sermon and the Baha'i tracts. IMO Orwell is essential reading

The you believe the will be a 7-headed monster rising from the sea.​

Yawn
The golden rule...in action.

MJW your self described mental condition gives me a desire to give you room.

Your intentional insulting behaviour towards others removes that...and to me diminishes your comments and any interest in your thoughts...as well as insults your religion.

I feel we are all walking talking billboards for our beliefs..for the religious organization we represent (whatever denomination or sect) and often our words here, which are somewhat eternal, can give current and future readers a warped (or maybe accurate (ouch)) view of the sect! And I don't really think that is the intent, albeit it is the result.

The golden rule...in action.

MJW your self described mental condition gives me a desire to give you room.

Your intentional insulting behaviour towards others removes that...and to me diminishes your comments and any interest in your thoughts...as well as insults your religion.

I feel we are all walking talking billboards for our beliefs..for the religious organization we represent (whatever denomination or sect) and often our words here, which are somewhat eternal, can give current and future readers a warped (or maybe accurate (ouch)) view of the sect! And I don't really think that is the intent, albeit it is the result.
Ty for this. I am really sad because I had a personal and genuine curiosity about JW beliefs but quicky realized that this was not the person to ask. Every JW I have encountered has been so polite and very respectful. Maybe that's the watchtower influence? I don't know. I hopefully will find someone else to have dialogue with. It's a shame that this was a wasted opportunity. I apologize that this post was a bit passive aggressive but I'm still feeling the sting.

Ty for this. I am really sad because I had a personal and genuine curiosity about JW beliefs but quicky realized that this was not the person to ask. Every JW I have encountered has been so polite and very respectful. Maybe that's the watchtower influence? I don't know. I hopefully will find someone else to have dialogue with. It's a shame that this was a wasted opportunity. I apologize that this post was a bit passive aggressive but I'm still feeling the sting.
I have known and dialogued with many JWs. I also have met a few who are 'almost JW' but won't join the jw.org because they feel the ruling body is not divinely inspired.

You can read it for yourself
What would your summary in a nutshell be?
(the passage does not state the purpose)

Back