Why I take the Bible literally

What would your summary in a nutshell be?
(the passage does not state the purpose)
Did you read it? I can't really do a "summary in a nutshell" with this one is pretty self explanatory.

25 But Abraham said, ‘Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things; but now he is comforted and you are tormented.

And the reason why would be.

You can also read the beatitudes.

If a wealthy man can give up everything he owns to follow God that would be a miracle as their wealth becomes their god as they rely on their wealth for everything.. The beggar.. all he can do is turn to God as he has nothing else and has learned to rely on God for everything. It's a moral story.

Did you read it? I can't really do a "summary in a nutshell" with this one is pretty self explanatory.
Faithful, I did read it, and have read that passage many times over the years, and never did find it to explain the question that was asked, or I believe was asked by the other poster: what is the PURPOSE of hell. That's what I thought the other poster asked. When that questions is asked, I usually think people mean, what would be the reason for the policy of creating/allowing/permitting eternal torment in hell. I don't know if I've ever heard someone give a straight answer to that. I'm also familiar with the beatitudes, having read them a number of times over the years as well.
I don't find an answer to the question I thought the other poster asked either...

Here's an example of the kind of answer people are possibly looking for:
Imagine asking someone who believes in Purgatory, "What is the purpose of Purgatory?" If I understand the doctrine correctly, the idea of it is to purge people of sins or purify them before they are ready for heaven.
Imagine asking someone who believes in reincarnation what the purpose of the rebirths are. If I understand the doctrine correctly, the purpose would be described as being part of the souls' journey to develop, and/or both rewards and punishments for karma.
Imagine asking someone who believes in conditional immortality what the purpose of soul sleep is. If I understand the doctrine correctly, soul sleep serves the purpose of waiting until the Last Day, and is evidence of the soul's dependence on God for immortality.
Now, the answer to the question on the purpose of hell, is unknown to me. I don't intuitively see the usefulness and was never provided a straight answer. People who have given me straight answers are 100% individuals who promote one of the other doctrines, which they can explain.

(I know that the doctrine of purgatory is maintained in at least some religions that also believe in hell)

Last edited:
Faithful, I did read it, and have read that passage many times over the years, and never did find it to explain the question that was asked, or I believe was asked by the other poster: what is the PURPOSE of hell. That's what I thought the other poster asked. When that questions is asked, I usually think people mean, what would be the reason for the policy of creating/allowing/permitting eternal torment in hell. I don't know if I've ever heard someone give a straight answer to that.
I would have figured you'd know with all your research and it's not a secret. Since you are obviously wanting the direct answer from me as to what I believe the purpose of hell is I will tell you.

If a person does not choose God in life by the offer of Salvation through Jesus Christ that person is consciously choosing eternal separation from Him. God is a Holy and Righteous God that cannot abide or be in the presence of sin. Jesus' sacrifice was the answer to that predicament. If in life one doesn't want a relationship with Him why would they want an eternity with Him.

I believe the torment is separation from God. Everything Good comes from God.. if that's gone what else is there? Nothing good.

As far as why would God allow this.. I don't question why God does anything. He could scrap all of this anytime He wants.

If you paint a picture and you don't like what it looks like you toss it out and start again. Same concept at a different scale.

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that whosoever believes in Him will not perish but have everlasting life. God loved. He offered everything and to reject THAT? It's tragic to me.

Edited because I accidentally hit post.

Edit again because I feel like this was a bait question but I'm not going to skirt around the truth as I know it and I will speak it in love.

Last edited:
Even with all my research I've never had anyone say with confidence that hell served an actual concrete purpose. They are able to say something for every other afterlife doctrine I have heard of.
Not a constructive purpose then, but a tragic consequence. Surely you've heard people say that does not square with all powerful and loving?
God is a Holy and Righteous God that cannot abide or be in the presence of sin.
Seems to be in conflict with Psalms 139:8

Doctrines that don't make sense lead me and many other thoughtful people to lean more towards theistic rationalism than to becoming committed practitioners of any particular religion. That's me more or less, though I have gained much, very much, from learning about a wide array of world religions.

Sadly enough, doctrines that don't make sense turn many people away from God, and towards atheism.
Why is that a problem? Not because I think they end up in any eternal horrible place, but because turning away from God self evidently limits people from seeking divine assistance in this life. And life is difficult.
May it have an impact on whether or not God grants eternal life in the final scheme of things?
Who is it who says: "God will have mercy upon whom He will have mercy" (I think it's the Orthodox Churches who say that?)
I would not claim to hold a philosophy that makes full on predictions about the afterlife.
Judaism, while not emphasizing the afterlife, has some thinking that makes sense to me.

Last edited:
I'm really not sure what to do with the rejection of the globe and the rejection of the heliocentric model in this thread. That just throws out all of what we know about our planet and its surroundings, and I'm not sure I understand the evidence on which this rejection is based.

This video offers a very nice, kind, thoughtful, non sensationalized take on this subject. She discusses the history of the modern flat earth movement in the first half of the video, and then around 7:18 she offers detailed information on why she thinks the flat earthers are asking rational and good questions, but explains what is wrong with their theory.

Even with all my research I've never had anyone say with confidence that hell served an actual concrete purpose. They are able to say something for every other afterlife doctrine I have heard of.
Not a constructive purpose then, but a tragic consequence. Surely you've heard people say that does not square with all powerful and loving?

Seems to be in conflict with Psalms 139:8

Doctrines that don't make sense lead me and many other thoughtful people to lean more towards theistic rationalism than to becoming committed practitioners of any particular religion. That's me more or less, though I have gained much, very much, from learning about a wide array of world religions.

Sadly enough, doctrines that don't make sense turn many people away from God, and towards atheism.
Why is that a problem? Not because I think they end up in any eternal horrible place, but because turning away from God self evidently limits people from seeking divine assistance in this life.
May it have an impact on whether or not God grants eternal life in the final scheme of things?
Who is it who says: "God will have mercy upon whom He will have mercy"
I would not claim to hold a philosophy that makes full on predictions about the afterlife.
Judaism, while not emphasizing the afterlife, has some thinking that makes sense to me.
That Psalm was written by king David a beloved of God. I'm wondering what Nimrod would say or the fallen angels bound at the river Euphrates. God is good and He is just.. He will be that in everything.

I'm sorry that you have a problem with this but this is what I believe.

I'm really not sure what to do with the rejection of the globe and the rejection of the heliocentric model in this thread. That just throws out all of what we know about our planet and its surroundings, and I'm not sure I understand the evidence on which this rejection is based.

This video offers a very nice, kind, thoughtful, non sensationalized take on this subject. She discusses the history of the modern flat earth movement in the first half of the video, and then around 7:18 she offers detailed information on why she thinks the flat earthers are asking rational and good questions, but explains what is wrong with their theory.

I've seen this one and many others. I'm not opposed to being proven wrong so I do look at videos with this goal. Unfortunately, you cannot find the content that I watched for FE as it's been removed from all platforms. When I was researching this years ago there was good quality content and it's gone now. I'm not interested in convincing anyone of this as it's just my personal belief and I am comforted by it. This was just a small portion of why I take the bible literally.

Thank you though!

That Psalm was written by king David a beloved of God. I'm wondering what Nimrod would say or the fallen angels bound at the river Euphrates. God is good and He is just.. He will be that in everything.
I don't know if their statements are recorded anywhere.
I guess it means that Psalm was subjectively true for David and not a general statement of fact?
It still seems like the remark in Psalms 139:8 does not square with the idea that God cannon abide being near sin, or sin cannot be near him, and that the distance between the unrepentant and God is what causes them to be in hell... if in fact even one person can say that God's presence will be with him in hell. Much less if that is a general statement of fact.

I'm not interested in convincing anyone of this as it's just my personal belief and I am comforted by it. This was just a small portion of why I take the bible literally.
Are the alternatives facts what convinced you to take the bible literally when you did not before? Or did taking the bible literally make the alternative facts more appealing? Or cause the alternative facts to make sense, to fit within a framework, when the average person who is not as immerse in the Bible might not recognize the alternative facts as making sense?

I don't know if their statements are recorded anywhere.
I guess it means that Psalm was subjectively true for David and not a general statement of fact?
It still seems like the remark in Psalms 139:8 does not square with the idea that God cannon abide being near sin, or sin cannot be near him, and that the distance between the unrepentant and God is what causes them to be in hell... if in fact even one person can say that God's presence will be with him in hell. Much less if that is a general statement of fact.
I'm not sure if you are asking a question or stating your belief.

Are the alternatives facts what convinced you to take the bible literally when you did not before? Or did taking the bible literally make the alternative facts more appealing? Or cause the alternative facts to make sense, to fit within a framework, when the average person who is not as immerse in the Bible might not recognize the alternative facts as making sense?
The questions and doubts were brought up by research and the scriptures supporting it is what convinced me.

If a person does not choose God in life by the offer of Salvation through Jesus Christ that person is consciously choosing eternal separation from Him.
No .. that can't be right..
Every choice we make is judged by its intention.
Do you claim that you know the intention of people who believe differently to you?

I believe the torment is separation from God. Everything Good comes from God.. if that's gone what else is there? Nothing good.
We are roughly on the "same page" here..

No .. that can't be right..
Every choice we make is judged by its intention.
Do you claim that you know the intention of people who believe differently to you?
I never claim to know anything. I believe what I believe and you believe what you believe. What point you are trying to make her is my question?

@Faithfulservant out of curiosity, are there other literal beliefs you have about the Bible that aren't real common? Do you eat pork chops? Do you keep any of God's holy days? I was just wondering how literal you really are.
Yes I eat pork chops as what we take into our body doesn't corrupt us and no I don't follow Jewish holy days as I believe Christ fulfilled and will fulfill them all. . I'm a gentile and I also believe in the dispensations of God in the bible. I believe the New Testament is the New Covenant God made with man and I believe Paul was the apostle to the Gentiles.

As far as what might be different..i do have a few.

I believe in the pre tribulation rapture of the church.
I believe the end times clock started when the Jews regained their homeland in Israel and His return for the church is imminent. All eyes should be on Israel as that is center stage for everything. The 70th week of Daniel is upon us. This is my great hope.

Yes I eat pork chops as what we take into our body doesn't corrupt us and no I don't follow Jewish holy days as I believe Christ fulfilled and will fulfill them all. . I'm a gentile and I also believe in the dispensations of God in the bible. I believe the New Testament is the New Covenant God made with man and I believe Paul was the apostle to the Gentiles.

As far as what might be different..i do have a few.

I believe in the pre tribulation rapture of the church.
I believe the end times clock started when the Jews regained their homeland in Israel and His return for the church is imminent. All eyes should be on Israel as that is center stage for everything. The 70th week of Daniel is upon us. This is my great hope.
So do you believe the holy days will resume at any time? There are prophecies of the holy days still being celebrated after Jesus returns. Consider Zechariah.

Zechariah 14:16 Then the survivors from all the nations that have attacked Jerusalem will go up year after year to worship the King, the Lord Almighty, and to celebrate the Festival of Tabernacles. 17 If any of the peoples of the earth do not go up to Jerusalem to worship the King, the Lord Almighty, they will have no rain. 18 If the Egyptian people do not go up and take part, they will have no rain. The Lord will bring on them the plague he inflicts on the nations that do not go up to celebrate the Festival of Tabernacles. 19 This will be the punishment of Egypt and the punishment of all the nations that do not go up to celebrate the Festival of Tabernacles.

The Bible literally says this. So why would this holy day resume if it was already fulfilled?

Back