Is the bible corrupted.

Abogado del Diablo said:
Is this in response to my comment about not having a dog in the fight? If so, it's because I don't take on faith the inerrancy of any scripture, so I have no vested in interest in proving that somebody else's inerrant scripture is errant.
Yes, I will talk about a couple of dogs on a different thread. I loved the way you stated 'no faith in its inerrancy' and I hated the way you stated 'no vested interest'. I question everything, trying to not judge what I can't see, and yet hopefully not presenting an apathetic ambivalence to what I do see.

Abogado del Diablo said:
Actually you asked two questions that are related, but not quite the same. You asked first "who came up with the Trinity?". You then asked "who first said Jesus is God?" (paraphrased) And now, in your latest post, you contrast Tertullian in the Adversus Praxean as taking issue with Praxeus's statement that God and Jesus are the same by responding with the doctrine of the Trinity.
Yes... sorry, the content of my posts was not addressed specifically to you. I'm not sure you have stated a belief, but I have witnessed that some people state across different threads that Jesus (pbuh) is God (swt), and the Trinity either says God (swt) is one of three or that God (swt), Jesus (pbuh), and Holy Spirit are the same. So I find it ironic that Tertullian and his real or imaginary Praxeus were opposed with differing sides of the issue.

Abogado del Diablo said:
you'll generally find yourself in a giant game of 'Whack-a-Mole'
Of course, if you don't play 'whack-a-mole', then you are not loving others as you love yourself. For when you seek and find a truth, you will have whacked the one that you have.

Stated another way, how popular is the guy in the office who did not play 'whack-a-mole' by installing the anti-viral software?

Abogado del Diablo said:
I think you'll generally find that Trinitarians will agree with the statement "Jesus is God," but they won't agree with the statement "Jesus is the same as God."* This is the difference between Tertullian's trinitas and the more general concept that Jesus is God (i.e. the "same as" God), which he claimed to be refuting.
I find the wordplay extraordinarily ordinary. My wife and I are one. Are my wife and I one? If you ask my wife a question are you asking me? Are her rhetorical questions my rhetorical questions? When my wife takes a shower am I cleaned? If my wife is good, am I good? Well, no... we are only one flesh. There is a relationship quite literally in the flesh.

JustifiedByFaith said:
Dear cyberpi,

Jesus heard that they had cast him out; and when He had found him He said to Him, "Do you believe in the Son of God?" He answered and said, "Who is He, Lord that I may believe in Him?" And Jesus said to him, "You have both seen Him and it is He who is talking with you." Then he said, "Lord, I believe!" And he worshiped Him.

John 9:35-38

There are other examples such as doubting Thomas and others but basically Jesus did not rebuke those who worshipped Him knowing that they are worshipping the Almighty Alpha and Omega...the Beginning and End... the One who will die yet lives forevermore! The Everlasting Father and Prince Of Peace! Praise Jesus All Creatures great and small!
Have you considered there might be more than one definition of the word worship?
http://www.blueletterbible.org/tmp_dir/words/4/1155509173-8653.html

When I combine with your former statement:
JustifiedByFaith said:
Plus, only God can be without sin and forgive sin to the extent of wiping it clean! Jesus fits this criteria and allowed Himself to be worshiped.
The verse you quoted states Jesus (pbuh) saying he is the Son of God, whereas you are using the verse to state that he IS God (swt)?

On the 'forgive', are you able to reconcile the words from Jesus (pbuh)?
Mark 2:10 But that you may know that the Son of man hath power on earth to forgive sins,
Mark 11:25 And when ye stand praying, forgive, if ye have ought against any: that your Father also which is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses.
Luke 5:24 But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power upon earth to forgive sins...
Luke 23:34 Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.

Originally Posted by JustifiedByFaith
Plus, only God can be without sin and forgive sin to the extent of wiping it clean! Jesus fits this criteria and allowed Himself to be worshiped.

Also Note: John 20:22-23
And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost: [23] Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained.

His disciples were also given power to remit sins..... does that make them 'God's' ? To remit is wiping it clean! It was the same greek word aphiemi that Jesus used when he said "Thy sins be forgiven thee".

JM

Cyberpi, you ask if worship has more than one meaning. Sorry but I did not read through all the detailed discussions and biblical passages posted on here but I saw nothing to the effect I am saying here.

I certainly think the word "worship" can have more than one meaning. I cannot imagine that the man who "worshiped" Jesus in John 9:35-38 worshipped in the same way as one worships an invisible deity.

I think that situation has more to do with an honour-shame society's ettiquette than religious worship. Of course, the entire language of the divine-human relationship in the Bible is based on that kind of culture. I just think worship of a deity must of necessity be different from obeisance done to one's social superior.

But that may have more to do with me being in a Western Christian society where one simply does not "worship" a flesh and blood human being than it has to do with what actually took place in that passage.

Those are my thoughts on that for what they're worth.

cyberpi said:
I loved the way you stated 'no faith in its inerrancy' and I hated the way you stated 'no vested interest'. I question everything, trying to not judge what I can't see, and yet hopefully not presenting an apathetic ambivalence to what I do see.

Can you elaborate on this, please?

cyberpi said:
So I find it ironic that Tertullian and his real or imaginary Praxeus were opposed with differing sides of the issue.

I don't know about "ironic," but it is interesting. Irony is how the Church came to view Tertullian despite the fact that his trinitas ultimately became a central defining characteristic of "orthodoxy" 120 years later.

cyberpi said:
Stated another way, how popular is the guy in the office who did not play 'whack-a-mole' by installing the anti-viral software?

You may have misunderstood the metaphor. "Whack a mole" is a game where there are several holes and you have a mallet. Every few seconds a mole sticks its head out of one of the holes and you knock it back down. When you knock one down, another one pops up elsewhere and when you whack that down, another one pops up and it may be the one you just knocked down before. The sense I was using it in is when someone has a constantly shifting position in a discussion so that by the time you start responding to one position, they are changing their position to something else, making it impossible to square in on what the discussion is about.

cyberpi said:
I find the wordplay extraordinarily ordinary. My wife and I are one. Are my wife and I one? If you ask my wife a question are you asking me? Are her rhetorical questions my rhetorical questions? When my wife takes a shower am I cleaned? If my wife is good, am I good? Well, no... we are only one flesh. There is a relationship quite literally in the flesh.

So you can say that you are one flesh metaphorically and that be true despite the fact that you and your wife can also be two separate people.

Of course, depending on the time and place, suggesting that the oneness of "Jesus" and "God" is metaphorical could get you into some serious trouble.:eek: There are people who understand it experientially, too. Quahom1 has a nice description of what "the Trinity" means to him.

cyberpi in #73 said:
I am simply looking for the origin of who created the Trinity... because its not in the bible. If it were the word of God (swt), then I don't want to counter it... so I look up Tertullian's literature to see if he claims God (swt) told him. No... Tertullian was not a profit. In fact he was countering Praxeas who thought Jesus (pbuh) and God (swt) were so much the same that you could say god the Father died on the cross.

Cyberpi, I suspect there may be important differences between the Christian and Muslim ways of establishing doctrine. I know next to nothing about Islam so I speak only for Christianity. In Christianity, a belief does not have to be explicitly stated in the Bible in order for it to become a test-of-faith doctrine (i.e. if you accept it you're in; if you reject it you're out).

It does have to have basis in scripture. And that is what people have been giving you as answers that you rejected. Thus, I will try to explain from a different angle. I don't know how to explain without looking at the history of Christianity and how it has developed over the millennia so here goes.

My own understanding of the origins of Christianity suggests that it was very fragmented and diverse. (Some Christians will deny this version but it is the one that makes most sense to me so it is the one I will use here.) One of my teachers said it was more diverse than today. I cannot imagine how that was possible but he knows the history so I'm taking him at his word.

Perhaps we might view it as the roots of a tree as viewed from the bottom up. They come from many different locations but all join in the trunk of the tree. So with the origins of Christianity. The way I see it, by the third to the fifth centuries AD Christianity was solidifying into one like the trunk of the tree where all the diverse root system comes together.

For about a thousand years there were two branches of Christianity: The Eastern or Greek Orthodox Church, and the Western or Roman Catholic Church. In the sixteenth century the Reformation took place in Western Christendom. I don't know the history of the Eastern Church and will here focus on the Western one.

This is when the Lutheran Church, and a number of others, started. By now, the tree of Western Christianity has been branching out for several centuries, like the top of the tree. Today we see a new form of Christianity developing. See the subsection on "Liberal Christianity" in the Beliefs and Spirituality forum of this site.

The way I see it, there are central tenets of the Christian faith that have been largely unchallenged throughout its history. Some of these are the belief of the trinity, the virgin birth of Christ, etc. I understand these were established in the church councils Constantine called after he legalized Christianity as the formal religion of the Roman Empire.

I understand the Eastern and Western Churches split over the question of what/who Jesus really was, whether he was the very same substance as the Father i.e. the same as God. The Western Church resolved this problem by wording it in such a way as to allow personal interpretation without saying so.

Cyberpi, can you see that you are asking for clarification on a question that is older than the Muslim religion itself? Perhaps you can understand why nobody is giving you clear answers that also make sense. Does that discredit the religion? Of course not!

This does not mean you and I have to believe it. We do have to acknowledge that there is a major belief system in this world known as Christianity. And I think we are bound by human decency to be respectful of it and its adherents and their beliefs. When and if I have to choose loyalty between Christianity and Islam, I naturally choose Christianity. Why? Because it's in my blood and the blood of my ancestors from time immemorial.

As to the new form of Christianity that is forming--it challenges some of the basic tenets of the religion that were established under Constantine. What defines it as "Christian"? I don't think anybody knows for sure at this point in history. (I might post this question in the Liberal Christianity section.) But you can be sure the old question as to exactly who/what Jesus is/was is a key issue.

As has been the age-old tradition, I expect it to be figured out via dialogue and general consensus and/or compromise. It may become part of church politics as in the past, or it may be discarded in the name of peace as an unimportant question. Of course, traditional Christians would be horrified by such a move but so be it.

Back to the topic of this thread. Since this question is older than the closed canon of Scripture itself, it can hardly be considered to be the result of corruption in the Bible. The disagreement on this issue may be the reason the Bible is not clear on it. Maybe the decision-makers re closing the canon could not agree so they left it ambiguous. Who knows?

The guy first known to write about a Trinity was AGAINST saying Jesus (pbuh) and God (swt) were the same.
The very fact that he used the word in the context of a heated argument tells us how the word came into common usage. Even in conflict we humans will borrow ideas from our enemies if they are more effective than our own. Perhaps Muslims don't do this but it looks like we Christians sure do.

That is my pesonal position on this at the moment. I tend to change and grow in my thinking as new information comes in. I do not pretend to speak for anyone beside myself, Christian or otherwise.

Ruby

RubySera_Martin said:
In Christianity, a belief does not have to be explicitly stated in the Bible in order for it to become a test-of-faith doctrine

There are many Christians who would not be able to agree with that. I think it is true if you are referring to the liturgical churches who place great emphasis on traditions handed down from early times (eg RC, Anglican). From my experience, it is not true of the evangelical and pentecostal churches.

You gave a very neat description of the history of the Christian churches. I think there is an important distinction between the churches/denominations and Christianity though. If we only see the history of Christianity as the wrangling between churches, we miss that all the while Christ's church has been flourishing. The universal body of believers, believing and practising the teachings of Jesus Christ, make up His Church - and not even the gates of hell can prevail against It! I am not a member of a church, but I am a member of The Church.

kenod said:
There are many Christians who would not be able to agree with that.
Kenod, I have not read up on all your posts so I don't know your exact religious position. Do you believe in the Trinity? If so, you accept a belief that is not explicity stated in the Bible, as Cyperbpi has so adequately shown. I think this includes most Christians.

In case I am wrong, I mention throughout the post that I am speaking only for myself and out of my own understanding. I also stated clearly that not all Christians agree with me.

I think it is true if you are referring to the liturgical churches who place great emphasis on traditions handed down from early times (eg RC, Anglican). From my experience, it is not true of the evangelical and pentecostal churches.
I include all the churches that believe in the Trinity.

You gave a very neat description of the history of the Christian churches.
No, I don't think I gave a description of the history of the Christian churches. I aimed only at a summary of the history of Christianity and how it establishes beliefs or doctrines. Since for a significant portion of world history of the past 2000 years there were only two churches, it might be said that I described churches but I did not try to go beyond generalities.

I think there is an important distinction between the churches/denominations and Christianity though. If we only see the history of Christianity as the wrangling between churches, we miss that all the while Christ's church has been flourishing. The universal body of believers, believing and practising the teachings of Jesus Christ, make up His Church - and not even the gates of hell can prevail against It! I am not a member of a church, but I am a member of The Church.
Kenod, I think you missed the point of my post. The point of my post was to explain to Cyberpi why nobody can satifactorily answer his question about the relationship between Jesus and God. If you read it closely I think you will see what I mean, that I stated my reason and purpose for writing it. It is hardly reasonable for anyone to blame me for not doing what I never set out to do.

for something from god, it would be perfect...His word anway right?as he would want people to follow?!in the bible, it is not perfect..may many discrepancies, therefore we know it has to have been changed, to what extent who knows...some original meenings may exist, only god will know, eg, things like, no sex before marriage, no stealing, but there arent any specific details about anything in the bible, compared to other religions, seems weird as this is just a test and we have to pass

james said:
for something from god, it would be perfect...His word anway right?as he would want people to follow?!in the bible, it is not perfect..may many discrepancies, therefore we know it has to have been changed, to what extent who knows...some original meenings may exist, only god will know, eg, things like, no sex before marriage, no stealing, but there arent any specific details about anything in the bible, compared to other religions, seems weird as this is just a test and we have to pass

But that is the test James, that we must pass. There are the Ten Commandments for example, which are quite specific. They aren't history, but rather "laws" we are to keep. There is nothing negative about keeping good laws that benefit all (excpet perhaps for the one who wishes to break the law), and were designed to keep man healthy, vibrant and alive, as well as courteous to one's neighbor.

Second, we know it is impossible for man to keep the ten commandments (that has been proven throughout the ages), so Jesus said, "I give you two simple commandments...Love God, and love your neighbor as yourself" (para)

That isn't historical story telling either, but a set of laws we've been given that encompass the entire ten before (guess Jesus felt we were ready for emotional reality).

So, I ask what is so corrupt about the Ten Commandments, and about the Two Commandments that we're given in the OT and then in the NT?

Nothing. ;)

my thoughts

v/r

Q

edit: Forgot to add...the whole Bible is designed to reinforce the "laws of righteousness and love" we are to follow. That is the main purpose of the Bible.

I asked this before, and maybe missed the answer. Moses brought down 10, the rest of the books brought the total to 614, Jesus and the Jews named the two most prominent.

How did the 10 persist? Is is somewhere in the NT that those are of value and the rest are diminished?

How come the 2 aren't carved in stone and heralded?

wil said:
I asked this before, and maybe missed the answer. Moses brought down 10, the rest of the books brought the total to 614, Jesus and the Jews named the two most prominent.

How did the 10 persist? Is is somewhere in the NT that those are of value and the rest are diminished?

So glad you asked...;)

The original laws of man were/are the Seven Noahidic laws. Moses was given ten (which incorporate the orginal Seven). The Mizphat (or 613) laws are Judeac, and variations on the Seven Nahidic laws (in finer detail). Jesus comes along and states "There are only two that must be followed". However, Jesus' two commandments encompasse everything.

(probably the first known concept of "integration" in the history of man) :eek: :D

v/r

Q

wil said:

They ought to be. So I will.

Mathew 22:36-40 said:
36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
37Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
38This is the first and great commandment.
39And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 40On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

wil said:

The Two encompasse the 10, and the 613. The Two are carved in man's heart, (besides put to paper, or papyrus). But the heart can be deceiteful, because it wants what it wants, yet the laws of God are right their.

What good is a law carved in stone, when the one in one's heart is ignored?

v/r

Q

wil said:

Many of the laws of the OT have a symbolic significance ... particularly those that pertained to sacrifices. Even one of the ten (the sabbath day) had a spiritual significance which was fulfilled in the "sabbath" rest of the NT ( Heb 4:3-11).

There are other laws of the OT that many Christians still uphold … eg, tithing, male/female clothing, prohibition against homosexual acts

As has been pointed out:
Luke 10:25-28
On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. "Teacher," he asked, "what must I do to inherit eternal life?"
"What is written in the Law?" he replied. "How do you read it?"
He answered: " Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, Love your neighbour as yourself.'"
"You have answered correctly," Jesus replied. "Do this and you will live."

Loving God and loving our neighbour embraces yet transcends the Ten Commandments - there are times when even a commandment such as “thou shalt not kill” can be superseded by a greater good. … this is the concept Jesus was trying to teach by telling the Jews it was ok to pull a donkey out of a ditch on the Sabbath day.

Even in the NT there are commandments to keep:

1 John 5:2-3
By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments. For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

kenod said:
There are other laws of the OT that many Christians still uphold … eg, tithing, male/female clothing, prohibition against homosexual acts

Exactly we do keep alot of the other older laws we just dont talk about them cause the 2 we do talk about cover them all.

we are saved by grace because we cant follow all the laws, we fail. you give you life and all that comes with it out of love.

BlaznFattyz said:
we are saved by grace because we cant follow all the laws, we fail. you give your life and all that comes with it out of love.

So true - thank you for reminding me ... strangely, the song "Do You Know Grace" (Younce Brothers) is playing in the background as I type.

Back