What do we know about God?

Bandit said:
what if God, or this God, or whatever Caspar the Ghost, you think you might have (for lack of better wording) is like a stubborn girlfriend/boyfriend & waiting for you to make all the first moves?
then when you make the first move the stubborn girlfriend starts warming up to you & begins revealing her love & warmth?
Hey Bandit. :)

Normally in those situations I'm quite convinced the other party exists. I guess I'll be missing out in this case.

I get the impression though, Bandit, that an all-powerful being might be a little more sensible than myself.

It is an insult to God to say that He is limited to one book. And even worse a book that has been reedited and translated over 2000 years. The Bible is spiritual. It is the legacy of the Jewish people and Christianity being an offshoot of Judaism. The Bible is full of spiritual truths and also full of human logic and psychology(Old Testament) Jesus was fully Jewish and practiced Jewish law. But he was able to look further than the law. He expanded on it and made it richer and better, open to anyone. To follow Jesus' acts and ways is to be one with God, but it isn't the only way. There are many. If you research the enlightenment and spiritual awakenings of others from different faiths and backgrounds you'll notice that the language and experiences of these people is very similar to what Jesus preached and what everybody senses when one with God. Therefore enlightenment is universal, all inclusive, never exclusive.

didymus said:
It is an insult to God to say that He is limited to one book. And even worse a book that has been reedited and translated over 2000 years. The Bible is spiritual. It is the legacy of the Jewish people and Christianity being an offshoot of Judaism. The Bible is full of spiritual truths and also full of human logic and psychology(Old Testament) Jesus was fully Jewish and practiced Jewish law. But he was able to look further than the law. He expanded on it and made it richer and better, open to anyone. To follow Jesus' acts and ways is to be one with God, but it isn't the only way. There are many. If you research the enlightenment and spiritual awakenings of others from different faiths and backgrounds you'll notice that the language and experiences of these people is very similar to what Jesus preached and what everybody senses when one with God. Therefore enlightenment is universal, all inclusive, never exclusive.

Let's see, the Jews state their path is the true one (one side says there is an afterlife and another says there is not, both however say that we live on through our children). However there is contradiction for what happens to the individual at the end of his/her life.

Muslims think that the "logic" of their faith is the perfect one. Yet for a "logical people" their emotions seem to get the best of them everytime, hence they defy their own scripture's requirements, and then justify it in the name of their prophet, not their god.

The Hindu has many gods, yet they believe salvation is going back to nothingness.

Buddhists have their own ancestral beliefs (mayhap closer to naturalism than anything else).

And what of the concepts of Pluralism? Can we say that is in line with the others as far as leading to the same Creator?

Christians state that Christ Jesus is the way, however others have the right to not believe or follow (in the purest sense of the faith). And Christian faith seems to say, no one is excluded, and none shall dis-appear or perish. All are welcome to choose or not choose.

Now, I will present in issue for consideration, and not meant to offend anyone...it is just an observation.

Which faiths, sends out "missionaries" world wide to spread their versions of the good news (e.g. man is saved)? Which faiths go out on a limb for the "unconverted", to the point of suffering death to themselves (the missionaries)?

Who is willing to die for their 'God' for the sake of others who are "strangers", inorder for the strangers to live and to see that "God" is supreme, and bigger than all of us? (not to mention much more personal to the individual)

Who includes all openly?

Look hard at your history of the world, and the various dominant religious beliefs that have taken hold in those areas. I think you'll find a surprising answer in this relatively modern times.

There is an exception to the rule with where I am going at, and that would be Turkey (generally). But Turkey is an exception, not the norm.

I submit that there is only one faith that covers all bets here. And the countries that tend to be dominated by this faith, tend also to be most inclusive and tolerant of other faiths, that differ from the main faith...

What do you think?

v/r

Q

Jaiket said:
On a very superficial level, yes.

Why is it either a universe, multiverse or deity? What is a deity? Some kind of proto-universe with a desire to populate planets as yet unmade? Why do you argue for the likelyhood of two being the same? How much 'living' did it do prior to the universe being here?

To be honest I don't accept any of this, I haven't read about it yet and have no real opinions.

It's not a deity. It doesn't have to be one either. My point is that the universe/multiverse/omniverse can be considered God but not in a deity sense. The term "God" has many meanings. It doesn't have to be the primitive deity that is limited to a body like in the many mythologies of the world.

Think about it, the universe/multiverse fits all the descriptions of a God aside from the personifications. The multiverse is likely infinite. God is infinite. The infinite multiverse is omnipresent. God is ominpresent. Conscious awareness comes somewhere from the infinite multiverse. This multiversal conscious is the sum total of the consciousness in the whole multiverse. But of course this would mean that consciousness is infinite, seen throughout all life in the multiverse (you can call these individual consciousness "souls", because they are in many ways like the "soul".

Whenever a natural disaster happen, many people claimed God caused it. We consider this superstition, but is it really? The world is perfectly fine with people saying "Nature caused that flood", ect. But if we were to take the word God out of "God caused that flood" and replace God with Nature it works. Therefore Nature in a sense is God or a major aspect of God.

Doing this we see that the God does exist without making supernatural entities up. It is that simple.

Then you ignore what Einstein said about God. Hence your own signature quote is something you do not adhere to.

Einstein believed in God, just not a personal one. The way he put it, he was too small for God to even consider him.

v/r

Q

soulatom said:
Hi again. While I am anxiously waiting for you to elaborate on your hint, here’s one about mine :) there is only one God. All other gods are simply expressions of Him. According to Stephen Hawkins He reincarnated in this “uni”verse via a singularity. QED

I said a lot of my religious beliefs in my last post, I believe the omniverse (infinite universe/multiverse) is God. You can't get any higher of a existence than being "everything" there is (the sum total of all existence). I believe my conscious awareness is our soul, and that it doesn't just die away when we died (unless it left its source when we were born but returns to it when we die). I do think our conscious awareness (soul) goes through an eternal cycle of changing hosts. Nothing last forever. The only ultimate reality we know for sure that lasts forever is that something has to have existed for eternity (because it is no possible to come from nothingness).

BTW, I suggest you use the word "It" to describe God than "Him". God is genderless because gender is a quality only seen in life on Earth (and possibly with life outside our universe). It really doesn't matter if you use "Him" or "Her" but to me it looks more sophisticated if we use "It" with a capital i.

didymus said:
It is an insult to God to say that He is limited to one book.

Therefore enlightenment is universal, all inclusive, never exclusive.

i would say, God is not the author of confusion. all these 'books' all over the place sure do make a lot of confusion & as someone else said, they do not all agree with each other. i see a lot of books, writings & comics that are insulting & often intended that way.

people choose what to include & exclude in their lives. people choose what to be included in & excluded in. i choose & so does everyone else. unless of course you live in a country where you are not allowed to choose & that country runs the show with force & with their religion & that is sad.

Quahom1 said:
Then you ignore what Einstein said about God. Hence your own signature quote is something you do not adhere to.

Einstein believed in God, just not a personal one. The way he put it, he was too small for God to even consider him.

v/r

Q

I don't agree with Einstein on everything, although my religious beliefs are very similar to Einstein (many documents suggest he was pantheist). I do agree with Einstein with the quote in my sig. because I do think religion without science is blind and science without religion is lame ;).

Silverbackman said:
I don't agree with Einstein on everything, although my religious beliefs are very similar to Einstein (many documents suggest he was pantheist). I do agree with Einstein with the quote in my sig. because I do think religion without science is blind and science without religion is lame ;).

Oh? So you are bigger than God? Or God is "Nolocontendre"...not something you consider. Or you argue no contest?

Questions questions questions, and no one to stand up and answer their mind.

Then why are you here? That is a valid question, I should think...

Quahom1 said:
Oh? So you are bigger than God? Or God is "Nolocontendre"...not something you consider. Or you argue no contest?

Questions questions questions, and no one to stand up and answer their mind.

Then why are you here? That is a valid question, I should think...

Huh? Your not making much sense.:rolleyes:

Quahom, no doubt the christians extend themselves beyond others in many ways. Without a doubt there are christians filled with God's love and spirit. Some of these folks spread the word of God with the intention of truly helping another, others because they feel it is their duty as a christian to convert people to Jesus Christ. I think it can be taken as arrogant and presumptuous that one would need saving because they don't believe the same as others. I think it is very exclusive to tell people that heaven isn't open to them due to their nonbelief in Jesus. How is this inclusive. It's inclusive if you believe the same way, if not then you aren't considered part of God's maercy and grace.

Bandit, I think there are many misleading books out there,. These aren't any of the books I refer to. The language of the heart is universal. Those that speak truth are known by their words and actions. There are so many different forms of spirituality that take onestraight to God. I read alot of different things out there, particularly experiences of those that enter deep meditation, prayer, NDE's and the like. There is a commonality that threads through all of this and that is God. The God that speaks to you sometimes but you ignore itbecause it may be wrong. You know what I mean. Those fleeting thoughts or that intuition that something doesn't sound right or sit well with you, but you can't share it with some,because they will tell you that you are wrong. Those people that will listen to the doubt and ambiguity you have without redirecting you to the source of confusion. These are the people that speak the same language. They will direct you to your heart and your conscious. There you will find truth. As the master said, "the kingdom is within you".

As for sig quotes, I think mine is one I shall never find myself at odds with. Voltaire was a bit of a smart-ass, but in this case, the many anthropomorphisms that result in the "Buddy God" phenomenon ... speak for themselves. Notwithstanding my own rejection of the "personal" aspects of the Christian YHWH (for such a being would be the very antithesis of touchy-feely sentimentality and such pettiness as jealousy, anger and an ego that demands its own worship) ... Kevin Smith was perhaps onto something with his Buddy Christ! :D

I display mine proudly for all the Missionaries to see
... although, whether Jehovah's Witness, Mormon, Baptist or Catholic ... I suspect no one sees it (Buddy Christ) quite like Kevin Smith. :p Okay, okay, there are others ...

Anyway, no offense is inteded, as even Kevin Smith demonstrated a more believable and personable God-figure than I think the Christian Church has ever managed to do ... Alanis is my hero, and if one must insist on the whole "personal relationship with Jeeeeeeesus" bit, then I'd rather it be Alanis than the Jesus I keep hearing about. ;) But that's just because I don't think the Christian version of Jesus is much like the (actual) man at all. Again, that is my opinion (and sincere hope) - not meant as a jab.

ummm .... okay, focusing on pure aspirations here, I agree with Silverbackman in that if we're daring to speak of The One About Whom Naught May Be Said ... or any aspect of this being greater than our Planetary Spirit (the Divine Repesentative for our little planet, so to speak) ... let's ditch the "Him" word. We do know that Deity is beyond gender, and while "He" is comfortable for some, "She" is much more suitable for others. Language is completely irrelevant, for if "God" (or let's just say, Christ or YHWH) has even a fraction of these supposed powers we ascribe to Him ... then even before we have entered into prayer, our communion has already occurred.

Perhaps we should think about what Deity actually means. You know, God. That word. That conception of Being, or of A Being. These two (`Being' and `A Being') can be the same, related, or entirely different. I would suggest that all three are true of God. We must learn to consider a different idea of God than the one we're used to. Why? Because if you've settled on something - on anything - as your "God" ... I got news for you. You're in for a shock! ;)

Bound to be upsetting, downright nasty even, for some - but I think we can rest assured that God just keeps getting better and better. The really unsettling news, I'm afraid, is for the folks who have most concretized their understanding, conception, or image of God ... as well as for those who have utterly rejected the notion - when they should know better. This means that those who are truly ignorant (not meant pejoratively, just as a condition of un-awareness) ... are off the hook. No, not blissfully, GOD no! :eek: Anyone who thinks ignorance is bliss, has obviously never experienced spiritual BLISS. But for a hint, it is that state and type of consciousness, of which Christ's Love and the Buddha's Compassion are but the faintest, earthly reflections. Or, to relate it to the most wonderful sex a person might have ever had ... the best orgasm is like experiencing only a tiny, tiny fragment - maybe a thousandth of a percent - of what the Love-Bliss-Consciousness of God is like. And yet, this is only relative to Earth's tiny God(YHWH) ... since we could know nothing of the Bliss-Consciousness of more exalted beings!

It's no wonder the 60's swept so many spiritual seekers away with all the influx of Eastern Teachings into the West, and I'm beginning to sound like Swami Beyond-Anandana myself! :p But it's easier to focus on this Love thing that Christians talk so much about, as personified through the example of Jesus of Nazareth ... that to get lost on power trips or angels dancing on pinheads. Bandit can show you a thing or two about pinheads, and I just sat here speechless while ago, realizing what a human being can do - in prison, mind you - if devoted enough and ... inspired. Ask Bandit ...

At any rate, I don't think a long dispute would be useful, Quahom, regarding the relative merits of Christian Missionizing versus the contributions of the Buddhist tradition. But if the usual novella of mine isn't preferred, I could gladly list for you, in bullet form, a few slight offenses (oh, you know, the Inquisition, Witch Trials, & Crusades, to name a few) ... that somewhat tip the scales. No ... I think organized relgion in general has been a blight of evil upon the face of this earth - not due to the founders, or to the faithful, but to those who ... in their own words, again & again, have simply said, "We're doing this for your own good, to save your soul, to help you know & meet God, who loves you!" (this said, as they light the wood at your feet, tossing on a few cats for good measure ... or tighten the thumbscrews). :(

Errr, uhhh, ahem! Long days of yesteryore, is that when all these offenses occurred. I disagree. The so-called Missionizing, though intended in the best of spirits, I am sure (usually), is not welcomed by these poor, heathen, godless primitives - who were obviously so ignorant & foolish before they heard of Jeeeeezus ... that their precisely-aligned and expertly-constructed monuments, solar observatories and TEMPLES ... were clearly just an accident of ignorance! :mad: dangit, GO FISH

Pardon my actually becoming passionate about an idea for a change ... but I think I've about had it with the we're Holy and Saved bit, and we offer this lovely free gift if you will only come worship with us, and tithe, and help form part of our little clique mentality. Yes indeed, excuse me for actually agreeing with Didymus... who said in this case, eloquently, beautifully and non-offensively .... what I have tried to suggest again, and again, and again on these forums. We all missionize here, a bit, and in the true spirit that it was intended, that is right and proper. I do not suggest that all Christian Missionaries are zealots and usurpers ...

... but to get back to my point about Buddhism, name me some of the big Buddhist massacres of history. Okay? Go ahead. Make a bulleted list. Tell me about the missionizing that Buddhists do wherein beliefs are imposed on others. Tell me about tortures, and power trips, and the whole nine yards. Mmmmm-hmmm. Thought so ...

Let me just suggest, that God is a bit more like this: God Loves, God forgives, and God knows all about Responsibility. He is the best example, after all - even if, so poorly understood. But that's our shortcoming, and in time, we'll learn - and every mistake, if accepted as valuable, can serve to bring us closer. Nothing but Opportunities for Learning and Growth. Strange concept for some, increasingly obvious for others. ;)

And as for outer creeds and observances? You do what you like, God isn't sitting there with Google, or Bruce Almighty's AOL-mail, filtering out prayers from Christians, or Jews, or Buddhists, or people who always pray standing upside down, or whatever. And I really don't think it matters what you're wearing, or why. But if you wanna think a bit about what God might be like, if you could meet Him, try thinking of Morgan Freeman's character in Bruce Almighty. In simple, Christian terms, that's a good starting point for God.

And what's next? How about the fulfilment of a new chapter in Human Self-Understanding, and in Divine Self-Understanding? Our society is undergoing the delicate, important process of coming together in so many ways, focused increasingly on interrelationships, interdependencies, and the strength that comes through cooperation & a United Approach ... nevertheless there remain such strong pockets of separatism, exclusivity, and elitism. We do, of course, have materialism, and poor leadership to blame for much of our woe, but in the last analysis, it is about Right Human Relationships ... and I would sumbit that if we don't take heed at this point, then we can stop looking Heavenward for our hopes & answers.

If you've lost your faith in the Spirit of Mankind, then try looking for it again. If you must think in these terms, then just consider that we are all the Children of the Divine ... and that means EVERYONE. Wanna know who, and what, Satan/Evil is? It's the force/energy/part of you that wants to say, in this case, "BUT-" Try telling (it) to butt out for a change.

Another way to say this, is that GOD is Immanent, as well as Transcendent. Immanent means present, already - without groveling, and chanting, and even without believing. What? You don't think so? You darn well better HOPE so! :p Use your HEAD - as well as your heart. It's not just sittin' there for food intake. God is present within every single atom. God is the force that creates, sustains, and eventually destroys - matter itself (converting it back into ultimate energy, a subtler form of God). Yet God is also the force that binds matter together, in whatever configuration ... and yes, obviously these various forces are malleable. But with forms of greater complexity, and increasing resemblance to their ultimate wielder, a greater measure of the Divine can manifest. And this is why it is true to say that the mineral is literally alive with the Divine Life, even though from our point of view the God-Consciousness slumbers. It has a long time before it awakens, but for it, time is not. Nor for the vegetable, and even animals are not self-conscious (as we are), yet in them there is evidence of the Divine Soul, emerging into the Light of God's Loving Attention and Awareness. None can escape it, except in the darkness of human ignorance, hate, and separativeness. And as has also been said, "The mind is the great slayer of the Real."

So do not destory this Truth: Christ, Buddha, other Great Ones (before their day, and yet to come) are not different than us, in Essence, only in measure. The reason, and the proof of this, is God Immanent. And we must learn to distinguish between God Transcendent, and God Immanent. St. Paul offered help, yet he is misunderstood, or else I notice that people stubbornly refuse to heed his words. God Immanent means that Christ is already present within us ... and for one in whom the Christ Presence has begun to awaken, this cannot be denied, and is known on no uncertain terms. It is only those who have been misled through the use of FEAR - the weapon of the dark forces - who are frightened to learn & hear of the Presence of God Immanent. For this is the sure promise, the inevitability, of the defeat of evil. It occurs within each individual, as well as within groups, within nations, and eventually within Humanity as a whole. THAT is the Heaven on Earth which Christ spoke of, and which can develop, as God Immanent slowly starts to awaken - and approach God Transcendent. It is imminent! ;)

The Mystic understands this curious relationship, but the Esotericist knows that the Mysteries of Identity are among the most sublime secrets any person can ever know. Only those who have conquered ego, and fully awakened the God Immanent ... are able to attest to the Truth. Yet we can gain insight by learning to understand more about ourselves - knowing both our potential, and our weakness, and focusing on the Good. The Hermetic Axiom is `As above, so below,' and the Oracle at Delphi gave the injunction, `Man, Know Thy Self.' But more recently still, the poet Alexander Pope phrased it thus:
"Know then thyself; presume not God to scan;
The proper study of mankind is man."
Indeed, know God??? We don't even know ourselves!!!

Consider Shakespeare:
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (Act I, scene v)

"All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players.
They have their exits and their entrances, And one man in his time plays many parts, His acts being seven ages."
- As You Like It (Act II, scene vii)
Shalom,

andrew

Hylozoism, as described by H.P. Blavatsky:
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]"Hylozoism, when philosophically understood, is the highest aspect of Pantheism. It is the only possible escape from idiotic Atheism based on lethal materiality, and the still more idiotic anthropomorphic conceptions of the Monotheists; between which it stands on its own entirely neutral ground. Hylozoism demands absolute Divine Thought, which would pervade the numberless active creating Forces, or "Creators," which Entities are moved by, and have their being in, from and through that Divine Thought... Such active "Creators" are known to exist and are believed in because perceived and sensed by the Inner Man in the [Esotericist]."
- S.D., II, 167, 168.
[/font]​
She speaks here of the Christ within, God Immanent, or the Buddha nature (also, the discriminative faculty vivekha, or best of all, the faculty of Buddhi/Intution) ... as the "Inner Man," who knows.

Hylozoism includes the doctrine that all matter is endowed with life, to which I have already alluded.
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]"When we have attained to this conception of hylozoism of a living material universe, the mystery of nature will be solved."
- Standard Dictionary.
[/font]​
And finally ...
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]"All forms are composed of many forms, and all forms - aggregated or single in nature - are the expression of an indwelling or ensouling life. The fusion of life with living substance produces another aspect of expression: that of consciousness. This consciousness varies according to the natural receptivity of the form, according to its point in evolution, and to its position also in the great chain of [Being]." -Telepathy and the Etheric Vehicle, Alice Bailey, p. 183.
[/font]​
All things in due order ... all being in proper scale ... God everywhere, literally, and thus omniscient, omnipotent. Some parts, not benevolent from a human point of view. However, this is relative, in Greater Scheme, certainly, OmniBenevolent. Problem: Christian still struggling with great, essential truths of Taoism, yin-yang. Cannot reconcile evil with loving God.

Ahhhh, problem solved long ago in East, but West currently experiencing emphasis on principle of duality ... necessity of turning toward forms of right living (the world of Spiritual realities), and away from wrong living (blind materialism, spirit smothered by matter). Eastern Wisdom long familiar with Hylozoism, Western traditions still working problem out.

Confucius, for ya ... (close enough) :p

ps - I will not deny your "God in Christ Jesus," if you will acknowledge my "God in pet cat" ... do I worship cat? no. did Christ Jesus ask to be worshipped? no. Reverence of Teacher, paramount. Dignity of every life, also paramount. Hmmmm ...

-andrew

Speaking of the Tao, C.S. Lewis had this to say:

"This thing which I have called for convenience the Tao, and which others may call Natural Law or Traditional Morality or the First Principles of Practical Reason or the First Platitudes, is not one among a series of possible systems of value. It is the sole source of all value judgements. If it is rejected, all value is rejected. If any value is retained, it is retained. The effort to refute it and raise a new system of value in its place is self-contradictory. There has never been, and never will be, a radically new judgement of value in the history of the world. What purport to be new systems or (as they now call them) 'ideologies', all consist of fragments from the Tao itself, arbitrarily wrenched from their context in the whole and then swollen to madness in their isolation, yet still owing to the Tao and to it alone such validity as they possess." - The Abolition of Man

All religions are fragments of the Tao. It is the Absolute of God, but we can only see this through a glass darkly in the paradigms of our own religions.

Silverbackman said:
BTW, I suggest you use the word "It" to describe God than "Him". God is genderless because gender is a quality only seen in life on Earth (and possibly with life outside our universe). It really doesn't matter if you use "Him" or "Her" but to me it looks more sophisticated if we use "It" with a capital i.

I pesonally refer to God as "Him" - and even more particularly as "God the Father" for pertinent reasons. A genderless, impersonal Godhead is impossible for me to regard with any sense of affection. And if love is not involved, what is the point of having a God? Perhaps as we evolve further and graduate beyond our present teen age consciousness and approach the end of our evolutionary cycle, as Sages, the current need to humanize Him will be transcended. At that time I believe we will re-unite with "God". In the meantime I see the feminine aspect of God as Mother Earth, who is real and knowable and loveable. And the Invisible spirit that motivates us as God the Father who is invisible and mysterious and therefore loveable. That grounds and comforts me and gives me the confidence and motivation to live my life as excellently as possible - knowing that both He and She are anxious witnesses to my every thought and deed.

didymus said:
Quahom, no doubt the christians extend themselves beyond others in many ways. Without a doubt there are christians filled with God's love and spirit. Some of these folks spread the word of God with the intention of truly helping another, others because they feel it is their duty as a christian to convert people to Jesus Christ. I think it can be taken as arrogant and presumptuous that one would need saving because they don't believe the same as others. I think it is very exclusive to tell people that heaven isn't open to them due to their nonbelief in Jesus. How is this inclusive. It's inclusive if you believe the same way, if not then you aren't considered part of God's maercy and grace.

Hi Didymus,

Actually Christianity does not state non-Christians can't go to heaven (though some individuals might and do say so, erroneously).

What it states is that those who accept the offer of salvation, will not be judged to determine if they receive eternal life, or eternal damnation. They will be judged as to what reward they will have in heaven. Some will be first and some will be last. Some will sit at the head of the table and some at the foot (me, I'll be the door man at the pearly gates) :rolleyes:

Christians believe that Jesus paid the penalty for their fallibility, therefore don't have to stand before the "Judge" and account for their life, only for what they did after receiving their "pardon" (in other words how did they invest what they'd been given for the betterment of their fellow man). The three servants with the talents comes to mind.

Quite simply, the Christian God offers a clean fresh start while still living, or a second chance if you will. I see nothing arrogant about that. ;) In fact it gives a rather hopeful feeling.

my thoughts

v/r

Q

Bandit said:
now spirit(s) are different because that is of a different substance that cannot be calculated the same way as the material things. however mind (thoughts) can be observed in different ways.

so God is literally in -IN- everything that is material, yet somehow He is able to attach & disconnect (get close or distant) Himself to our spirit & a lot of that depends on us.

so, i am getting some semi-inverted perceptions for some reason & it feels pretty good.

Hi Bandit...I like your train of thought, chess is a good metaphor of life.

“There are only four scientifically verifiable sources of energy in the universe.
All are dependent on atomic mass. Theoretically a force without mass can have no gravitational attraction; no electro-magnetic properties and no weak or strong effect. Yet now an exotic invisible force that has no detectable mass, is never the less registering a profoundly powerful influence on the universe, and on the minds and hearts of our most advanced scientific investigators.

Though they have no instrument to actually detect it, their theoretical calculations reveal that whatever this pervasive invisibleuniversal presence is, it is seven times more powerful than all the known forces, and it is exerting a definite effect on the behavior of physical matter. (Hang in with me here…)
Mysterious questions have arisen: If this force has no atomic mass, from whence does it get its energy? How and why does it influence physical behavior? What on Earth can be it be composed of? How can it be evaluated?”

This is headed in the right dierection I think.... . (I took this quote from a book Psyche-Genetics)

Quahom1 said:
Hi Didymus,

Actually Christianity does not state non-Christians can't go to heaven (though some individuals might and do say so, erroneously).

What it states is that those who accept the offer of salvation, will not be judged to determine if they receive eternal life, or eternal damnation. They will be judged as to what reward they will have in heaven. Some will be first and some will be last. Some will sit at the head of the table and some at the foot (me, I'll be the door man at the pearly gates) :rolleyes:

Christians believe that Jesus paid the penalty for their fallibility, therefore don't have to stand before the "Judge" and account for their life, only for what they did after receiving their "pardon" (in other words how did they invest what they'd been given for the betterment of their fellow man). The three servants with the talents comes to mind.

Quite simply, the Christian God offers a clean fresh start while still living, or a second chance if you will. I see nothing arrogant about that. ;) In fact it gives a rather hopeful feeling.

my thoughts

v/r

Q

Q, I do take issue with this belief. The notion that a man or woman is pardoned from judgement due to their acceptance and belief that Jesus is Lord while others who have perhaps lived a very upright life will have to stand trial is too man made for me. It rings of human logic and reasoning. The man or woman that dedicates their life to good deeds and thoughts, whether or not they believe in Jesus should and will have eternal peace also. Personally i believe that one who acts and lives as Jesus did(which is what he preached) will have eternal life and rewards in heaven.

I think life is an enormous lesson that we all have to learn and we grow spiritually as a result. Many Christians think that their belief and acceptance of Jesus excludes them from many of life's lessons. And it is no wonder because the contemporary christian models his faith after Paul. Faith and faith alone is sufficient. Acts is the other side to this equation which Jesus preached and James continued after his death. I know that there are christians that practice good acts but they don't believe their acts have any impact on their eternity. I think they do. Loving action and compassion towards others, forgiveness, these are the keys and secrets to life and the hereafter.

Silverbackman said:
It's not a deity. It doesn't have to be one either. My point is that the universe/multiverse/omniverse can be considered God but not in a deity sense. The term "God" has many meanings. It doesn't have to be the primitive deity that is limited to a body like in the many mythologies of the world.
QUOTE]

I agree with you on the soul, and it seems to me that we have well established that there is "GOD" whatever form we decide to percieve God as. My yearning lies in the area that if we are conscious of God, and God is conscious of us, then what is our purpose and how do we fulfill it within the universes or finite limits of this consciousness.

(Suggestion noted...I just happen to feel that God consciousness is solar, respresentative of the male energy in the universe and that Earth is elemental of the feminine principle, yin/yang, left-brain right-brain, kinda thing, together I guess that makes It) :)

soulatom said:
Hi Bandit...I like your train of thought, chess is a good metaphor of life.

“There are only four scientifically verifiable sources of energy in the universe.
All are dependent on atomic mass. Theoretically a force without mass can have no gravitational attraction; no electro-magnetic properties and no weak or strong effect. Yet now an exotic invisible force that has no detectable mass, is never the less registering a profoundly powerful influence on the universe, and on the minds and hearts of our most advanced scientific investigators.

Though they have no instrument to actually detect it, their theoretical calculations reveal that whatever this pervasive invisibleuniversal presence is, it is seven times more powerful than all the known forces, and it is exerting a definite effect on the behavior of physical matter. (Hang in with me here…)
Mysterious questions have arisen: If this force has no atomic mass, from whence does it get its energy? How and why does it influence physical behavior? What on Earth can be it be composed of? How can it be evaluated?”

This is headed in the right dierection I think.... . (I took this quote from a book Psyche-Genetics)

There is a fifth form of energy...scientifically acknowledged but not quite understood.

v/r

Q

Back