Is Prophecy dead?

Mus Zibii said:
I was thinking today about the Jewish concept of prophet-hood (is there such a word) and how the cessation of prophecy might've been less a divinely influenced conclusion than a response to the rise of Christianity.
Could it also be that the relationship between GOD and man has changed because of the arrival of Jesus? Before, GOD used sensitives to act as His voice to the people at large, and there was a wide rift between GOD and man.

After Jesus, however, the rift closed, and Jesus became a direct bridge. The Holy Spirit is still among us (according to Christian scripture), a direct contact between GOD and man. It is said that the Holy Spirit ministers to each human, individually and constantly. This may be the reason the prophecies are so few and far between.

I am reminded of a scene in the movie "City of Angeles" (Meg Ryan and Nicolas Cage), where an air traffic controller distracted by personal thoughts and worries is suddenly startled back to focusing on his radar screen, after an "angel" whispers in his ear. He is able to narrowly avert a mid air collision between two jets.

GOD is now a very personal GOD, and talks to us all the time...? Maybe we just have to still ourselves long enough to hear Him.

A thought.

v/r

Q

It's very possible that there are still "active" prophets all over the world that get direct messages to God, just as there were in the Bible. However, accounts of hisotry over the last few millenia have not been kind to those who claim to hear the word of God. Joan of Arc was burned at the stake, as well as thousands of others during the witch trials. If I were able to talk to God, or receive messages from him, I don't think that I would tell anyone.

Prophecy certainly is not dead.
The Jews did not believe in Jesus as a prophet but the rest of the western world does - validating him as more than a prophet; so much so that he is God - after his physical death, of course. We won't acknowledge anyone as a prophet until enough of the world has been influenced by that such one - and by the time the word really gets around, its at least two lifetimes later. The wisdom of GOD is revealed to us in doses. If HE gave it to us all at once, well, we'd all be Gods; wouldn't we? ;)

How do I define "prophecy"? That's the first question that I must answer before I may continue in this discussion, because without a clear definition of the key terms, it will be very difficult for me to express myself clearly.

Of course, this word may be defined in an infinite number of ways, so allow me to define it in just one way in this particular posting. I may redefine it in subsequent posts, allowing for more explanations.

May I preface everything I am about to say by acknowledging that I believe that the Holy Bible is the exclusive source of Truth in the tangible universe in which we live. I prefer the Authorized (King James) Version, mainly because of its word-for-word translation versus the phrase-for-phrase/thought-for-thought interpretation of the vast majority of more modern versions (e.g. NIV, NASB, Living, etc.).

My first definition will be thus: "'Prophecy' is the reception and consequential declaration of a message received from a spiritual being." What then is a "spiritual being"? Here is another definition: "A 'spiritual being' is any being that exists in the invisible world of the spirits, of which consist of those beings commonly referred to as angels, demons, or God (i.e. our Creator) Himself."

Now that I have these definitions in place, I will proceed with sharing my thoughts...

Prophecy, as a message from a spiritual being, exists in multiple ways today, but I would like to focus on two of them specifically. First, are those spiritual messages that everyone may receive by simply picking up a Bible and reading It. What is one really doing when he reads the Bible? Is he not literally hearing the Voice of God? No, not in his ears as an audible voice, but yes, in his mind (and if he allows it, in his heart). Second, is the influence imposed upon all humanity by Satan via his army of fallen angels, also known as demons.

In my way of thinking these two forms of prophecy are the most basic. Yes, God is constantly speaking to us and urging us to share His Message, and all we have to do is open up a Bible and our hearts, and we will be able to "hear" Him. But also, Satan is seeking to influence us through constant temptation. I believe that all humanity is incessantly bombarded by this latter form of prophecy (i.e. satanic temptation) and that it can be effectively counteracted and defended against only by allowing the former form of prophecy (i.e. Biblical influence) into our lives daily.

That being said, every person has an opportunity to be a prophet. The question is for whom will you prophecy? Your Creator or one of His creations--His most rebellious creation? The time you invest in studying God's Word will determine the answer to that question.

God bless!
~Bryan Madonna

There's a general perception in Judaism, Christianity, and Islam, that prophecy is effectively dead - that all that required saying is said.

However, is this an interpretation supported directly by scripture - or is this a general assertion from events and human developments?

Does humanity no longer have a direct connection to God, excepting through the pages of books?

A general discussion question.
In some senses, prophesy means foretelling the future, but as we know this is only one subset of prophesy. By prophesy I think of "touching the mind of God".

While I may be a nonbeliever by your standards (I hold no belief in a personal god/s or any other unprovable phenomena), I find that the universe itself is wondrous and sacred, and in some cases these things could be called, even if only poetically, "God". Einstein had a similar concept of God as the 'ultimate truths of the universe'. He felt that when he conducted science he was 'touching the mind of God'.

I think that man has always sought answers about his world and his condition, and has only shifted in means of approaching these questions throughout history; be it through magic, prayer, or science. Science is the latest and seemingly most effective method we've used yet for understanding our world, and yes, making predictions.

So I think prophesy is alive and well in the work of cosmologists, sociologists, economists, psychologists, and other scientists. We have simply shifted our methodology for 'touching the mind of God'.

I believe that prophecy is alive and well .... just waiting for us to awake from the deep sleep and be able to understand the real meanings .... many cultures, many religions have pending prophecies .... most related to the return of the next "prophet" but I like the Hopi saying the best .... it goes something like "this is the time in which we will meet ourselves" ...prophecies can be read in many ways, there are usually at leave four levels of meaning, on four levels of consciousness. According to the Lakota medicine men "how deeply each of us understands the stories tells us about the level we have attained in our own lives" and this also relates to prophecies. So what does it mean "this is the time in which we will meet ourselves"? From my many years of searching what I refer to as the "ancient line of knowledge" we are shifting our consciousness to a higher level in which we are able to use more of the three hemispheres of our brain at one time (this by the way is the trinity, the three who become One) and when we each are able to return to this state we will be able to remake our own world by simply changing our minds. This probably sounds simplistic and esoteric at the same time, but it is an internal process that we must go through to reach a state of enlightnment. I posted in another part of this forum about the 12 pairs of cranial nerves that operate the inner system .... I believe (and I suspect many will not see it as I do, but that is OK) that the prophecy about the lost tribes is related to the same process .... it is my understanding that the Jewish tradition has a prophecy that the twelve tribes will be reunited when the next messiah returns and we will live in peace and harmony .... this will take place in the "promised land" .... what if the "promised land" is also a "state of mind" and the 12 pairs of cranial nerves are reunited to work as a whole .... then the Hopi are correct, the return of the next prophet will happen when we meet ourselves (or remember who we are) and when we are able to move this inner spiralling energy we have the power of our own minds to change ourselves and our world. It's all in the mataphors and the inner meanings. I also believe the message is the same in the Torah , the Q'ran, the Bible etc. the struggle that we must overcome is the internal struggle to get past our own ego's because that it what blocks the movement of this energy. The prophecy of revlations and the seven seals are related in my view to the seven energy centers within the body that the spiralling energy must pass through. In Greek mythology one can only get to "paradise" by crossing over the River Styx .... and it is a river flowing with fire as well as raging storms .... the other side is guarded by a three headed monster called Cerberus .... the three headed monster is the symbol of the three hemispheres of the brain .... and all it takes to calm Cerberus is poppy seed cake and honey .... the honey is a reference to a chemical secreted within the brain that opens the whole system .... crossing the River Style is the metaphor for overcoming the human ego .... paradise (the land of milk and honey) is attainable to all when we remember of to return to the balance and we remember how to love unconditionally .... I always thought the word "jihad" meant to struggle against the human ego,not to struggle with another human being .... perhaps we spend too much time looking at the surface meanings and can't see far enough into the depth of our own souls .... he hawai'i au, fay

mansio said:
I would be interested to know what a "prophecy" looks like.

Weellllll, if you wait awhile you might get your wish...according to "christian lore".

As a matter of fact, you may be seeing the beginnings of one now. Check the earth's weather lately...very unusual don't you think? Not quite like any time before. Tsunamis, earthquakes, floods, hurricanes out the whazoo, toronados...interesting times for just another year...

v/r

Q

Do you remember when Santorin island exploded 3700 years ago ? And Krakatau island in the XIXth century ? Two 'ends of the world' that never happened.
The topic of the thread is "Is prophecy dead?". Has there ever been a prophecy ?

I think you would need to look at Islam where Prohet Muhammed(peace be upon him) have prophecised quite in depth about the return of Prophet Jesus(may peace be upon him),near to the DAY OF JUDGEMENT, and what his role is going to be,what he will do, his Prophecies come right down to how the Messiah will look like and what he will be wearing,when he returns

I said:
There's a general perception in Judaism, Christianity, and Islam, that prophecy is effectively dead - that all that required saying is said.

However, is this an interpretation supported directly by scripture - or is this a general assertion from events and human developments?

Does humanity no longer have a direct connection to God, excepting through the pages of books?

This might help you

Ibn Arabi says :

All that is left
to us by tradition
is mere words.

It is up to us
to find out what they mean.

Ali asked the Prophet, "What action can I take that is not totally lost and worthless?"
The Prophet answered, "Seek truth. You will find it in yourself, therefore, know yourself.

If men knew themselves, they would know God; and if they really knew God, they would be satisfied with Him and would think of Him alone.

Therefore, know your self, who you are, what is your identity. ... Consider well in what way you are Haqq(Truth), and in what way Khalq(Creation/mortal), as being separate, other.

He who knows himself knows his Lord; ... indeed, He is his very identity and reality.

I said:

The Revelation/Prophecy/Message from God is not dead. The common man has not understood it correctly. In present era Mirza Ghulam Ahmad (1835-1908) has announced publicly and emphatically and in so many books written by him that he had conversations with God. Please read his book “The Philosophy of the Teachings of Islam” under the head "Fifth Question: The Speaker is Honoured with Divine Converse ", just a few pages. Please access the Book on: http://www.alislam.org/books/philosophy/1q3.html
Whenever man would be lead astray, God will send the Message through one of his Prophets /Messengers, because to provide Guidance is one of his prime attributes, and no one can put a hindrance in his attributes.
Nevertheless, Mirza Ghulam Ahmad has brought no new Revealed Book like Quran, and no new Religion or Sunnah ;he is a true follower of Muhammad and considers all prophets like Moses and Jesus, true prophets of God and all Revealed Religions of the world, truthful in origin.
Thanks

Elvendon said:
I don't think prophecy will ever truly die. We just need to shut up and listen!
To the contrary, talk to God in prayer. Ask questions... and listen. Write the questions down and then revisit them through life.

the prophecies in the bible for our day, are being opened up and the understanding about them is being revealed. so they are not dead they are being made known ."And as for you, O Daniel, make secret the words and seal up the book, until the time of [the] end. Many will rove about, and the [true] knowledge will become abundant ...........Daniel 12;4 but the question is do we want to know, or do we close our eyes and ears.
(Proverbs 4:18) But the path of the righteous ones is like the bright light that is getting lighter and lighter until the day is firmly established......... yes the understanding is now very clear indeed
(2 Peter 1:19) Consequently we have the prophetic word [made] more sure; and YOU are doing well in paying attention to it as to a lamp shining in a dark place, until day dawns and a daystar rises, in YOUR hearts.

Hi all.
My first post.
reading with interest the posts here, and 1 thing came to mind something i see in many churches. the lack of understanding between the person that receives a word. and the person called to the office of prophet.
Also the lack of understanding of a word of prophecy and a word of knowledge many people do at times receive a word of knowledge, and are immediately declared a prophet.
Love to all. Ian.

Prophecies act as a witnessing that the Bible is truly from God. As it is said in Isaiah that only the true God knows the future and past. Prophecying is thus done after both OT and NT are fully written. All left is revelation about what are truly said inside the scripture, such as the Book of Revelation. Such that revealed prophecies from the Bible will continue to flow out till the end of days.

Daniel's swallowed scroll will be reveal bit by bit till the end of days.

Daniel 12:4
But you, Daniel, close up and seal the words of the scroll until the time of the end.

I'm back. The prophet is in. Is prophesy dead? Not on your life! This one's alive and well and belting out End Times prophesies and revelations of new spirituality as if there were no tomorrow. Not to worry! There will be a tomorrow. I guarantee it!

Back