What Movies Have You Seen Recently?

The three Pink Panther films are classic... :D Apart from some old radio shows... I think Sellers was at his best in the panther series not fond on much else of his film work though, Kato is amazing lol.... He ended up in an English sit com called "Last of the summer wine" It's about a small village of old men with young minds lol it can be quite funny... I find it comforting to see those of age still brimming with youth. :)

Just saw No Country For Old Men.

We liked it pretty well... i'd say it's one of the top movies that we've seen this summer... maybe the top 5. it was really well acted, the story was engrossing and i found the characters to be compelling.

metta,

~v

saw Mr Woodcock. now, that was a funny movie. lol
saw Be Kind, Rewind. not enough to hold me, im afraid.
Beowulf........ good movie. love the computer animated stuff. morale of that story is that men think with their ....... well, not their brains, lol.

When movies were three hour long epics? When it wasn't just a comedy, a romance, a drama, an action, a musical, an adventure but it was an 'all of the above' dem was the days eh? I find much enjoyment from the 50's onwards with movies :p

Been watching a few films, Ben Hur, Spartacus.... Can anyone give me some names of films (from this era.. Say 1950's-60's) That are on the same wave length??? Be most appreciated.

Grey hit a couple. Another in the vein of Ben Hur, Spartacus, and the Ten Commandments is The Greatest Story Ever Told. The fellow who played Christ, (Jeffrey Hunter?) later played Capt. Christopher Pike in the pilot for the original Star Trek, which was later edited for the regular series. He died no long after, a very young man. Just a bit of Hollywood trivia.

If you like westerns, I would suggest Paint Your Wagon, the only time I ever heard Clint Eastwood and Lee Marvin sing (they didn't do half bad). From the early '70's I would recommend Jeremiah Johnson, and Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, both with Robert Redford, and the Sting. Paul Newman was in the last two of these.

There was a movie done by Howard Hughes in the late '50's-early '60's about Ghengis Khan, starring John Wayne. I've only seen it once, I don't recall the name. Apparently when Hughes completed the movie, so the story goes, he liked it so much he kept it away for himself. It only came to light after he died. So the distribution is a bit fuzzy and scarce, but well worth watching if you can find it.

The Conquerer:
http://movies.nytimes.com/movie/review?res=9B03EEDA1430E23BBC4950DFB566838D649EDE

Apparently it was panned by a lot of critics, but I enjoyed it. So much for taste... :p

Last edited:
A film that has thousands of awesome lines lol.... And many hidden messages.

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you" :D

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you" :D

Yeah, well, the devil can quote scripture too, and use it to his purposes.

Having verses from the Bible uttered by a hit man / assassin is not ironic, it is not profound, it is just...oxymoronic.

Now, the sniper praying in Saving Private Ryan, that I can understand. Might not agree, but I *can* believe.

And for "hidden" messages, try the Francis Ford Coppola version of Dracula, with Keanu Reeves in it. Lots of subtle details you have to watch for again and again. The Sixth Sense with Haley Joel Osment is another for hidden details.

Interesting how you see a difference between a ganster/hitman and a sniper with a flag.... They are both agents of death. :)
Oh, no problem with seeing things a bit different...even Siskel and Ebert didn't always agree what movies were good or bad or why.

The difference I see between the two is the authority standing behind them justifying their actions.

The hit man does it for personal gain, the soldier does it for protection/security. It might be argued that it is *only* political justification, but one must also consider circumstances. The hit man is going to hit his target when most vulnerable...the soldier is at risk of being taken out first, his target is gonna shoot back. Not a maybe, but a given. ;)

I see no difference... A man with a gun in his hand, is a man with a gun in his hand.... His intention is to kill....

No personal gain? The soldier is a mere puppet/pawn in the personal gain of his "leaders". *shrugs*
I'm fairly certain the thousands who stumbled out of the death camps barely alive were eternally grateful for those mere puppets and their leaders' personal gains.

Tropic Thunder.

I really enjoy films with/directed by Ben Stiller... However this one isn't that good... Has a few moments... But not that great.... So I think in my opinion it is the worse role I have seen Ben Stiller in, saying that it is also the worst role I have Seen Tom Cruise in and also Jack black in......

5 out of 10... Watchable...

That is unfortunate, Alex. Tropic Thunder had sooooo much potential.

Hey bro, as I said that is just my opinion... You may like it? Just to me... It was quite a poor film.. Sure there were some slim areas where there was comedy that made me smile... Normally in his films there is comedy that will make me laugh.. And a fair bit of it at that.

Back