What Movies Have You Seen Recently?

Star Trek Into Darkness. Yeah, it's not really Star Trek. Yeah, the characters are little more than two dimensional. Yeah, the new Enterprise is an abomination of design. Still I like most of the actors replacing the original cast. And damn if the movie isn't just fun regardless of all its faults!

Birth of a Nation, DW Griffith (in/for class.) I won't post my thoughts about it (I, Brian wants to keep this site running, I think.) I went straight to an article about Cat Island, Japan after I logged on to this computer to "bleach" my brain.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

I am not a big sci fi fan... I was told I had to watch FireFly... I did...the series and then the movie... Interesting, fun, better than startrek /dr who... but glad it was only one season long.... I would have never watched it all if it were longer.. still not compelling enough for me.

DA - I just cut the cord. Now digital antenna and streaming video. Just got it installed yesterday. Ask me in a week :)

Broken Blossoms, a silent film circa 1919, directed by D.W. Griffith. It was better than some of the trailers I had to watch in class (inundated with classic horror trailers, including Dracula, Frankenstein, The Wolfman, The Creature from the Black Lagoon, and The Mummy) but barely.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Tomorrowland was entertaining and uplifting. Warning: its a little sappy but good enough for anyone.

Just returned from watching Saturday Night Fever. It's not my cup of tea. Personally, the main male character should've been the one that ended up in the river (no real redeeming features imho.)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

I name two that I watched recently. I immensely enjoyed them both ...

1. Karol: A Man Who Became Pope

2. Strike Back (a TV show)

These two are, I suppose, in a completely different category from each other. But the courage that's shown in both is equally awe-inspiring. I'd call the leading characters in both 1 & 2 "heroes", and take my hat off to them all.

I wish Strike Back would cut down the sex scenes tho. I don't mind it so much for myself (I'm adult enough to know the reality of the world), but I can't watch it with my young nephews. I know they're gonna love the action scenes. I'm even thinking of editing the content myself.

I have a thing about police/military/intelligence type stories. If anyone knows a good one that I can watch with teenagers (I'm lax on cursing somewhat. It depends on the time and place. You can't expect soldiers in a battle to say "gosh darn it" :D), I'd welcome the suggestion.

Or am I the only action movie fan here? ... I understand, for many, being religious often accompanies a distaste for guns and violence — I even liked Inglourious Basterds ... Am I un-Christian?

I'm still debating back and forth in my head if it's wrong to resort to violence to fight against evil.

A scene from Karol: A Man Who Became Pope haunts me ...

Karol is Pole. During the occupation under the Nazis (before Karol became a priest), one Catholic he met says to him:

"We will win with love, not with guns. The Nazis will disappear because evil will devour itself. But if love doesn't win out, the Nazis will just come back under a different name."

namaste all,

the most recent movie that i've seen was Mad Max:Fury Road. i thought it was terrible in nearly every way that a movie could be with the sole exception being the real stunts and action bits. still... that hardly makes up for the lack of plot. there wasn't a compelling story narrative for anything that anybody was doing at any time. *sigh*.

i'm looking forward to Star Wars though.

metta,

~v

Back