What Movies Have You Seen Recently?

Smokin' Aces!!
"When a Las Vegas performer-turned-snitch named Buddy Israel (Piven) decides to turn state's evidence and testify against the mob, it seems that a whole lot of people would like to make sure he's no longer breathing."

http://stage6.divx.com/user/SalTheMa...4/Smoking-Aces

This film kicked buttocks....

Oh and I also watched last night, 88 minutes now this is predicatble.... But a good un...
STARRING AL PACINO
A thriller about a college professor who, while moonlighting as a forensic psychiatrist for the FBI, receives a death threat telling him that he has only 88 minutes to live.

http://stage6.divx.com/user/trevor20...mando-Pa-cinez

Running With Scissors based on the memoir of the same name by Augusten Burroughs. This was difficult to watch at first--I literally clenched my teeth through the first fifteen or twenty minutes or so. Then, I let go and enjoyed the ride. It was hilarious, disturbing, cartoonish in its humanity, desperate, dramatic, and definitely worth watching. Makes me wanna read the book.

Currently about half-way through Born on the Fourth of July. I watched this movie about ten years ago and had forgotten many of the details. It is amazing to watch Ron Kovic's life unfold--quite a journey. Again, a very human story--difficult and compelling. Great perspectives on war, its aftermath, and the conflicts that arise in a technologically-advanced democracy informed of the horrors of war.

Baraka.

Beautiful, depressing, spiritual, challenging....

No plot, no actors, no script...

Baraka is an ancient Sufi word, which can be translated as "a blessing, or as the breath, or essence of life from which the evolutionary process unfolds."
Ah! The description sounds remarkably like "Koyannisquatsi" by Francis Ford Copolla.

Ah! The description sounds remarkably like "Koyannisquatsi" by Francis Ford Copolla.

Well spotted juan.:)

Taken from the website:

Koyaanisqatsi was director Godfrey Reggio's debut as a film director and producer. Ron Fricke was the principal cinematographer on Koyaanisqatsi.

Coppola was executive producer for the film, whatever that means? Maybe got all the money up for it? I can’t see his creative input; I think that’s Reggio, Fricke and (Philip) Glass. Great films IMO, as is Powaqqatsi (not seen Naqoyqatsi).

s.

Bug

You'll wonder what the heck you are doing watching it 5 minutes in..

and again a half hour in...

and again an hour in...

truly almost continuously...

I wanna see it again.

I don't like horrors, or blood and guts...its more of a bloody drama...more blood than I like...

I wanna see it again.

I saw BORAT...

Yeah, I saw Borat... my husband and my cousin were watching it and I kept meaning to lift my book up to my face however I sat mesmorized for two hours, staring at the screen in horror... They loved it. Now they talk about and like Borat...

Is this the seventh circle of hell?

Boku wa Imouto ni Koi wo Suru, an anime that deals with a rather "difficult" subject (read: taboo).

Boku wa ImÅ￾to ni Koi o Suru - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It dealt more with the mental and emotional aspects of the taboo than the physical ones and it left me :( (a self-imposed exile for one of the characters, and it ended with him crying on the train headed for his new school.)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Fantastic Four - eh

Oceans 13 eh

Ratatoullie yeah much fun

Die Hard...full of impossible situations action packed if you like that

Evan Almighty....great sequel...some good stuff to contemplate amongst the fun.

Knocked Up - ridiculously embarrassingly funny...40% 50% 10%

You Kill Me - dark comedy wonderfully done.

Voces Inocentes... (Or innocent voices to English tounges)
Awesome film would strongly recommend it, I know it is also in English subtitles for those who cannot speak Spanish, so no excuses.....

It is based in the 80's with the El Salvador "civil" war...... And shows the tragic conditions the people had to live in, and how children are FORCED to go to war, they started taking children at 12 but come the end of the film/war they needed more "men" and took children even younger.... It follows one boy's life in particular... Called Chava and how he tries to avoid/surivive the war... The other AMAZING thing about this, this is a true story....... How he surivived is just unreal...
Voces inocentes (2004)

Also watched last night "Left in Darkness"
Left in Darkness (2006) Too early typed too much basically the girl dies and goes into a kinda "purgatory" and has to face demons and tests to try and get to heaven good film suprisingly..

i just recently watched "dead silence". a movie about mary shaw, she had no children, only dolls! kicks ass if you are into old ladies that are ventriloquists.
i also saw "shooter". i didn't know that marky mark and the funky bunch was rambo!? wierd. cool movie. i likes guns and explosions. they bring tears to my eyes.. *sobs like a ten year old girl and goes to her room, i mean his room*:rolleyes::D

Transformers...great kid and techno fun...

Sicko- Michael Moore...I'd love to hear the English/Canadian/French...take...anywhere that has universal/socialized medicine

Transformers...great kid and techno fun...

Sicko- Michael Moore...I'd love to hear the English/Canadian/French...take...anywhere that has universal/socialized medicine

Think this deserves its own thread in Politics.

Just recently saw The Last Mimzy, Radio, and Dream Girls. Taking the kids tomorrow to see the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie.

The Last Mimzy is an excellent movie for kids. It's kinda like What the Bleep for kids, but it's a cool story instead of just a bunch of narrators.

Chris

...Guess none of you watched "The Guardian" eh? Kinda sad...that's the story of my life (and about 35,000 others who put on the same uniform).

Did you know that the Coast Guard (United States), rescued 35,000 people in three weeks from Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans, and only used 400 personnel to do it? Did you know we never left Louisiana during the hurricane, and lifted our aircraft the second the winds died down one knot below 55, and while our Coast Guardsmen were busy rescuing others, 200 of them lost homes and property, but never looked back once?

They never turned from their job, never left the scene, never once said "I quit".

Y'a ought to watch The Guardian, if you want to see real heroes at work, and in life...

The movie is based on two actual situations (combined into one for the audience). What you see is real, no Hollywood embellishment. But it will keep you in your seat.

Truth is much more exciting than fiction sometimes...

v/r

Q

Q,

I shall make it my business to see The Guardian once I have the means. In the meantime, I ran across an interesting (to me) anime that might interest you titled Yomigaeru Sora Rescue Wings. It is about a fictional unit in Japan similar to the Coast Guard (I'm not sure if the JASDF is an actual group or if it's fictional.) Here's a link to some more information about the "cast"/anime: Froth-Bite wiki - Rescue Wings

If you're interested, I'll send the :kitty: delegation out to find out where to get the anime. :eek:

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Last edited:
Q,

I shall make it my business to see The Guardian once I have the means. In the meantime, I ran across an interesting (to me) anime that might interest you titled Yomigaeru Sora Rescue Wings. It is about a fictional unit in Japan similar to the Coast Guard (I'm not sure if the JASDF is an actual group or if it's fictional.) Here's a link to some more information about the "cast"/anime: Froth-Bite wiki - Rescue Wings

If you're interested, I'll send the :kitty: delegation out to find out where to get the anime. :eek:

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Indeed Phyllis, I'd be interested in anything you find. You have a way of "ferretting out stuff", that might otherwise be missed. ;)

v/r

Q

p.s. you won't be disappointed in "The Guardian". If you go to the local Chicago Library, I think you can check it out for a few days without buying or renting it.

Q,

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine
(lol) "Motomura"...that would be me...:D

And JASDF is a real entity Phyllis.

v/r

Q

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the first episode from Crunchy Roll (you have to register in order to watch anything on the site, but the registration's free):

crunchyroll.com - Yomigaeru Sora Rescue Wings

One good thing about the site is that they usually abide by the wishes of the owners of any licensed videos by removing the videos (several series I wanted to see were removed at the request of the owners of the licenses.) One word of warning though: episodes 5-8 have a bit of a problem with the uploads due to "blinking".

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

One of my favorite short stories is the one The Last Mimsy is based on. I'm a little scared to watch the movie because the story was just that good.

Back