Quahom1 said:
Isn't that called, intuition? :eek: :eek:
Maybe. I employed it to disprove this last bit of "logic:"
"If A=C and B=C, then A must equal B".

A=2
B=-2
C=√4
2=√4 and -2=√4, but 2≠-2

But it does prove that A and B share C in common...
hmm...{The Rush to be Right...}

seattlegal said:
Maybe. I employed it to disprove this last bit of "logic:"

A=2
B=-2
C=√4
2=√4 and -2=√4, but 2≠-2
hmm...{The Rush to be Right...}

LOL, imaginary numbers don't count. You know that as well as I.

Or, let me rephrase that, the total of 2 is 2, whether negative or positive. hence 2 equals 2, whether real or imaginary...

Quahom1 said:
LOL, imaginary numbers don't count. You know that as well as I.
Huh?
2²=4
-2²=4
√4=2² or -2²

Even though 2 and -2 are not equal, they can still "square up," so to speak.
{Back to YO-ELEVEN-11's Golden Rules of logical fallacy}
The Golden Rules of logical fallacy
1. DO NOT JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER.
2. ALWAYS EXPLORE YOUR OPTIONS.
3. DO UNTO OTHERS AS YOU WOULD HAVE THEM DO UNTO YOU.
4. TREAT OTHERS LIKE YOU WANT TO BE TREATED.
5. THERE IS ALWAYS MORE THAN ONE WAY TO SKIN A CAT
6. ONE PERSONS TREASURE MAY BE ANOTHER PERSONS TRASH.

Q said:
Or, let me rephrase that, the total of 2 is 2, whether negative or positive. hence 2 equals 2, whether real or imaginary...
Oh, "the terrible two's" :D

Quahom1 said:
Opinions are exclusive. Logic is universal. How it is applied may be for exclusive purposes, however, the process is still universal...:D

"If A=C and B=C, then A must equal B".

Uless A AND B are married and then things change drastically.
Then when A AND B get divorced B gets the hosue and kids and alimony and...well you get the picture. ..Which is "Logic" on steroids. :p :)

Dear Col. Klink and Sgt. Schultz...

The script says that you are only to say...
" I hear nothink ! I see nothink ! I know nothink ! My General isss comimk for inspection tomorrow !"

Vat isss disss erzatz German schnitzel you are sayink in posts 52 & 53 ...?

Best regards...Col. Hogan :D

seattlegal said:
Huh?
2²=4
-2²=4
√4=2² or -2²

Even though 2 and -2 are not equal, they can still "square up," so to speak.
{Back to YO-ELEVEN-11's Golden Rules of logical fallacy}

Oh, "the terrible two's" :D

2 and -2 carry the same number value (2). So, my original point stands. "imaginary numbers don't count"...

For example, a vessel that normally carries a 13 foot draft at the waterline, is at 11 feet at the waterline, we say it has a negative 2 foot draft. Which means it can not safely sail under normal conditions. Doesn't mean it is in never never land, only that it is minus the safety margine for sailing by 2 feet. It is too light to sail, by 2 feet of draft. Why? Because a negative 2 foot draft raises the metacenter of the ship by 20 feet, and lessens the righting arm by 10 feet. (In short the ship is top heavy, and may not right itself if subjected to a hard wind blow, or heavy water broad side).

Funny that you would pick the most basic and promenant of "prime numbers" to state your point...:eek: :eek: :)

flowperson said:

" I hear nothink ! I see nothink ! I know nothink ! My General isss comimk for inspection tomorrow !"

Best regards...Col. Hogan :D

Oh, what we were saying is "Savoir faire, is everywhere"... we just stay on the sidelines mostly. :)

Quahom1 said:
2 and -2 carry the same number value (2). So, my original point stands. "imaginary numbers don't count"...
LOL! :p

For example, a vessel that normally carries a 13 foot draft at the waterline, is at 11 feet at the waterline, we say it has a negative 2 foot draft. Which means it can not safely sail under normal conditions. Doesn't mean it is in never never land, only that it is minus the safety margine for sailing by 2 feet. It is too light to sail, by 2 feet of draft. Why? Because a negative 2 foot draft raises the metacenter of the ship by 20 feet, and lessens the righting arm by 10 feet. (In short the ship is top heavy, and may not right itself if subjected to a hard wind blow, or heavy water broad side).
OK...so 2 and -2 are not the same. A positive 2 foot draft would have a much different effect, no?
Funny that you would pick the most basic and promenant of "prime numbers" to state your point...:eek: :eek: :)
Do you mean funny as in "odd?" :p {Odd thing is that 2 is the only "even" prime number. You know, "an even keel for balance?"};)

Seattlegal said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLove
LMAO! Not quite sure exactly why, but LMAO, anyway...:D

That's logical transcendance for you! ;)

Yeah, but I should have used the German--ROFL.. Gosh, philosophy is fun! Carry on, colonel....

seattlegal said:
LOL! :p

OK...so 2 and -2 are not the same. A positive 2 foot draft would have a much different effect, no?

Do you mean funny as in "odd?" :p {Odd thing is that 2 is the only "even" prime number. You know, "an even keel for balance?"};)

Oh yeah, a positive 2 foot draft would increase stability (and lower the metacenter, and increase the righting arm movement). What you give up is freeboard (less bouyancy).

Odd, is correct, and that was the point of my "simplest of prime numbers" Odd is never simple...

YO-ELEVEN-11 said:
Uless A AND B are married and then things change drastically.
Then when A AND B get divorced B gets the hosue and kids and alimony and...well you get the picture. ..Which is "Logic" on steroids. :p :)

But divorce is not logical. Working out the problems is...

With rare exception, any marriage can be salvaged, managed, saved. Splitting a "whole" makes no sense at all. (In most cases).

been there, done that, hard work, but it works. Just apply the math, and don't "RUSH TO BE RIGHT".

(oh, I believe I just got us back on the original point of this thread...) :rolleyes:

v/r

Q

Quahom1 said:
But divorce is not logical. Working out the problems is...

With rare exception, any marriage can be salvaged, managed, saved. Splitting a "whole" makes no sense at all. (In most cases).

been there, done that, hard work, but it works. Just apply the math, and don't "RUSH TO BE RIGHT".

(oh, I believe I just got us back on the original point of this thread...) :rolleyes:

v/r

Q

Seems "The Rush to be Wrong" helps in some situations.;)

Quahom1 said:

I don't think that that is an imaginary number, as far as I remember i=√-1. The square root of any positive number has two possible values, a negative and a positive one with the same base/module.

The rush to be right.......

Originally Posted by flowperson

Best regards...Col. Hogan

Q said:
Oh, what we were saying is "Savoir faire, is everywhere"... we just stay on the sidelines mostly.
And that even we lowly mods can spur on a conversation if we choose!

Hmmm, let me see if I got this straight...

In order to transcend logical fallacies, one must contemplate divorcing imaginary new math equations in ersatz German. While watching reruns of Hogan's Heroes. In the rush to be right...yes?

Back