The Rush To Be Right

Hi Juan and wil:

When traversing the mythical characterizations of ancient times (such as Moses, Hermes, Thoth, etc.) the legends surrounding one seems to blend naturally into others. IMO, religions are formed to solidify the legends of popular choice into cultural and political institutions in order to guide peoples of varying beliefs into the future as a whole. Familiar analogies, such as attributes that humans have long observed in nature are usually at the roots of the process if one goes back far enough in time. Huston Smith's work, The World's Religions, brought this concept to center stage, IMO.

flow....:)

Kindest Regards, Flow!

IMO, religions are formed to solidify the legends of popular choice into cultural and political institutions in order to guide peoples of varying beliefs into the future as a whole. Familiar analogies, such as attributes that humans have long observed in nature are usually at the roots of the process if one goes back far enough in time.
By the power vested in me, I declare "so mote it be!" And from henceforth any who declare otherwise shall be deemed heretics, and suffer the painful feather tickle until purified (or putrified, whichever comes first). The penitent shall be bathed in the marshmallow sauce of purity and be made whole once again, so that all may share in my version of "right!" I am right because I say I am right. Besides, for a modest fee, you too can have a copy of my book that says I am right. ;)

Huston Smith's work, The World's Religions, brought this concept to center stage, IMO.
On a bit more serious note, thanks for the tip. Sounds like a complimentary work to Campbell, Frazer and Hyslop. I'll have to make it a point to check it out.

Wow, how a thread can travel! I wonder if this is how many religions started:)

Incidentally I think the first of the Masonry group was the famous Roman Mystic Asparagus. His tall slender stature and funny pointed hairdo was a familiar sight in the steam rooms where he supposedly covered himself in butter and contemplated divine things.
We honor his memory every time we partake of the vegetable that now proudly bears his name serving it well steamed and buttered.
You can find this and many other really really true stuff in MY new book:D

Peace
Mark

!. There are no coincidences.
2. Here's an article I found on Huston Smith , Juan, that you'll find enlightening, I think.

flow....:)

ps...looks like this might be another bait and switch sign up scam by the Tribune Company...no coincidences indeed...sorry if it doesn't work guys.

Wow, how a thread can travel! I wonder if this is how many religions started:)

Incidentally I think the first of the Masonry group was the famous Roman Mystic Asparagus. His tall slender stature and funny pointed hairdo was a familiar sight in the steam rooms where he supposedly covered himself in butter and contemplated divine things.
We honor his memory every time we partake of the vegetable that now proudly bears his name serving it well steamed and buttered.
You can find this and many other really really true stuff in MY new book:D

Peace
Mark
Yummmm...., Asparagus. I like mine steamed and chilled overnight, served with mayo for breakfast! :D
{Does that make me a heretic?} :eek:

Well, I have been doing a lot of reading lately, and I have come to the conclusion that it is not necessarily the Asparagus that is the most sacred, but the Mayo.

InPeace,
InLove

Well, I have been doing a lot of reading lately, and I have come to the conclusion that it is not necessarily the Asparagus that is the most sacred, but the Mayo.

InPeace,
InLove
Is that because Mayo is the successful result of marrying two liquids that won't naturally mix? (In an emulsion, with an egg as an emulsifier?)
-or-
Perhaps the sacredness comes from the act of mindfully "annointing" the Asparagus with the Mayo?

Hmm, more research might be needed, but it might have to wait until the Asparagus comes out in the spring....

Did you guys know that Albert Lord Broccoli, refuted the indulgences of Asparagus?

chapter 1, verse 7: "Why be slimy when you can be bland intead?"

Masonite Cookbook???

Isn't that primarily used for carp?

And I wish you all would quit carping about my beloved aspargus and brocolli, next I'm almost certain I'll hear you don't believe in brussel sprouts, parsnips or artichokes.

9 times a day you must worship the fresh fruit and vegetable, more if you choose to diminish its abilities by steaming or otherwise heating.

Pay homage to whole groats, soaked and sprouted also, not denatured, bleached with the life force pounded out of them.

I looked into that and found the Rush to be Rite is the Rush to be secret, defensive by oath (or PC law), and closed to the judgements of others. If there is a rush to be right it is a rush to be the same, and conversation outside of that same-ness is unwelcome. I think it was something about a circumscribed circle around passions... or maybe it was the neck. In short the Rush to be Rite is the Rush to be Deaf. But maybe I am judging negatively because the Masonry around my fireplace is crumbling and falling now. It must have wanted to be 'free'-masonry.

I looked into that and found the Rush to be Rite is the Rush to be secret, defensive by oath (or PC law), and closed to the judgements of others. If there is a rush to be right it is a rush to be the same, and conversation outside of that same-ness is unwelcome. I think it was something about a circumscribed circle around passions... or maybe it was the neck. In short the Rush to be Rite is the Rush to be Deaf. But maybe I am judging negatively because the Masonry around my fireplace is crumbling and falling now. It must have wanted to be 'free'-masonry.

True, hard to hear anything when one's world is crumbling around them...giving sentience to mortar and brick...interesting, weird but interesting.

On the other hand, who is rushing to be right? Here? no one I should think. But you bring up an excellent point. That is deafness. Seems there are lots of people that are deaf and "Blind" to their own superiority...

But then again, I could be wrong. Wouldn't want to "rush" things, that would be rude and circumspect of me, given the current thread's postings.

Hope you get a damn good brick mason to fix your crumbling fire place.

v/r

Joshua

I should probably explain. First, I disagree with Paladin's OP. I would like to understand righteousness or God's judgement and I often judge and point out differences with other people, religions, or beliefs in my pursuit. So, I am rushing to be right... right with God, right for myself, and right for others. I have noticed a prideful ear will hear me as, "I'm right, you are wrong" and take offense. When someone takes pride in their opinion or state of mind then I have seen it literally stated in words, "I'm right" or "You are wrong". When some who are raised with high expectations in a religious family and feel they can convert others with words or feel the need to defend their beliefs or religion, it can come across as, "I'm right, you are wrong". If I rebuke someone for something they've said or done it can also come across as, "I'm right, you are wrong".

When I hear a, "I'm right, you are wrong" what I hear instead is, "You are different than me or us", which is always a true statement since everyone is different. I like to be rebuked because it provides more information than a shower of praise. In a former post I was trying to draw physics into it, but I find that "right or wrong" really translate to "same or different", usually between what two people think or believe. The intention may be to compare against scripture or religion, but interpretations vary. But I stand to learn something new if someone tells me why I am different than them rather than the same.

I am a Freemason. I joined it to learn more about the beliefs. I was playing with words there with a real and different definition between 'Right' and 'Rite' because the different Rites, or degrees end up being ceremonial with rote memorization. By being a secret organization I find there is also little interest in comparison with the world and there is little interest in the judgement of the rites. The discussion of religious beliefs is discouraged outside of the rote memorization of the ceremony, degrees, or rites... allegedly to keep the peace between, 'brothers'.

I think it really applies to any religious ceremony, but especially with the Freemasons I found extensive rote memorization and it is that which I find brings deafness. While a ceremony will be memorized, it is kind of the same thing as a lecture. I find that it just doesn't get applied to the real world unless a person judges the information. I think it is better to ask each other questions and to challenge people to answer them. The reason is that in trying to answer questions a person actually applies themselves, the soul. There is no autopilot in answering questions and the answers have to come a little from within or by developing listening techniques to find them in the world. The ears open up and the soul emerges. For this very reason I believe it is why a person has to make judgements. It is a requirement to judge situations or the thoughts of others even if it is just to say, "I agree" or "I disagree". When the soul uses information and makes a determination then there is something inherently good there. Just one of the keys, but for a person only reading books and studying a religion, there may be something missing.

To use an anology of what I see, today there is cruise control on a car and with a few more features some day maybe the car will drive itself. Then what will the driver do? Punch in coordinates like an aircraft on autopilot? The driver is no longer entirely responsible... the vehicle is. If a car were to drive itself then the person would become less tuned into the situations on the road. To me, that is the relationship between the soul and the mind. The ceremony does not involve the soul action which is more important than the state of the mind. While the rush to be rite, ceremonial right, might be the desire to learn the information, for many it is the desire to be the same or to be stamped in and included in the group. So the ceremony is attractive, develops, and feels good... but at the expense of the ears and one's judgement. Whereas I tend to join a group and point out what I see different. Yes, I know, a real crowd pleaser. Lets just say that my involvement has been non-normal and I intend to raise more issues within that organization.

It is my firm belief that a person has to judge situations, self, and other people. I know it is NOT what people like. I know the word just conflicts with Paul in Christianity and common political correctness people enforce. I like to be judged. Please judge my words. The Christian verse, "Do not judge, and you will not be judged" takes on a different meaning for me... I seek God's judgement.

Kindest Regards, Cyberpi!

Thank you for this post.
I should probably explain. First, I disagree with Paladin's OP. I would like to understand righteousness or God's judgement and I often judge and point out differences with other people, religions, or beliefs in my pursuit. So, I am rushing to be right... right with God, right for myself, and right for others.
OK, I can see this.

I have noticed a prideful ear will hear me as, "I'm right, you are wrong" and take offense. When someone takes pride in their opinion or state of mind then I have seen it literally stated in words, "I'm right" or "You are wrong". When some who are raised with high expectations in a religious family and feel they can convert others with words or feel the need to defend their beliefs or religion, it can come across as, "I'm right, you are wrong". If I rebuke someone for something they've said or done it can also come across as, "I'm right, you are wrong".
Perhaps I am not ready to hear this yet, but I'll try.

When I hear a, "I'm right, you are wrong" what I hear instead is, "You are different than me or us", which is always a true statement since everyone is different. I like to be rebuked because it provides more information than a shower of praise. In a former post I was trying to draw physics into it, but I find that "right or wrong" really translate to "same or different", usually between what two people think or believe. The intention may be to compare against scripture or religion, but interpretations vary. But I stand to learn something new if someone tells me why I am different than them rather than the same.
In some really wierd, masochistic way I can relate to this. I don't mind "sparring," or comparing notes, or whatever other method equivocates. I'm not fully sure I would use "rebuke" though, but I see no harm in "comparison shopping" as it were.

I am a Freemason. I joined it to learn more about the beliefs. I was playing with words there with a real and different definition between 'Right' and 'Rite' because the different Rites, or degrees end up being ceremonial with rote memorization. By being a secret organization I find there is also little interest in comparison with the world and there is little interest in the judgement of the rites. The discussion of religious beliefs is discouraged outside of the rote memorization of the ceremony, degrees, or rites... allegedly to keep the peace between, 'brothers'.
I have been considering asking to join the organization for a couple of years, but I struggle with the secrecy bit. If they are upstanding, why must they hide their activities? It is confusing to me, a religion that is not a religion but it is a religion, but it is not....

I also understand that a member cannot freely speak about the group with outsiders, and I wish in no way to cause conflict in that regard.

Thank you for what you have provided, it does answer some questions.

To use an anology of what I see, today there is cruise control on a car and with a few more features some day maybe the car will drive itself. Then what will the driver do? Punch in coordinates like an aircraft on autopilot? The driver is no longer entirely responsible... the vehicle is. If a car were to drive itself then the person would become less tuned into the situations on the road. To me, that is the relationship between the soul and the mind. The ceremony does not involve the soul action which is more important than the state of the mind. While the rush to be rite, ceremonial right, might be the desire to learn the information, for many it is the desire to be the same or to be stamped in and included in the group. So the ceremony is attractive, develops, and feels good... but at the expense of the ears and one's judgement.
This is a concern.

Whereas I tend to join a group and point out what I see different. Yes, I know, a real crowd pleaser. Lets just say that my involvement has been non-normal and I intend to raise more issues within that organization.
This too is a concern of mine, I suspect I would be a hairy tick there as well. (I tend to ask too many questions...)

It is my firm belief that a person has to judge situations, self, and other people. I know it is NOT what people like. I know the word just conflicts with Paul in Christianity and common political correctness people enforce. I like to be judged. Please judge my words. The Christian verse, "Do not judge, and you will not be judged" takes on a different meaning for me... I seek God's judgement.
Surprizingly, I think I understand. In one sense, I do not wish to be judged harshly...so I try not to judge others harshly. Yet, I also wish to be found judged well in eyes of G-d, therefore I do judge certain matters of faith by very hard standards. In the end, seek it or not, we will all face G-d's judgement. I want to believe He will be merciful for those who show mercy, and forgiving to those who forgive, and be lenient on those who are legitimately ignorant...and the rest of us had better have our "i's" dotted and "t's" crossed. ;)

Back