Daily Wisdom Saying

“Those who practice know whether realisation is attained or not, just as those who drink water know whether it is hot or cold.”

- On the Endeavour of the Way.
Dogen.

s.

“You should know that in the buddha’s house we do not discuss superiority or inferiority of the teaching; nor do we concern ourselves with the depth or shallowness of the dharma, but only with genuineness or falseness of practice.

There are those who, attracted by grass, flowers, mountains, and waters, flow into the buddha way. And there are those who, grasping earth, rocks, sand, and pebbles, manifest the buddha’s seal. In fact, although the boundless words of the buddha overflow among the myriad things, the turning of the great dharma wheel is contained inside a single particle. In this sense, the words “Mind itself is buddha” are like the moon reflected on the water; the teaching “Sitting itself is becoming buddha” is like the reflection in the mirror. Do not be concerned with the splendour of the words. By showing the excellent way of direct transmission by buddha ancestors, I am just recommending the practice of the immediate realisation of wisdom, hoping that you will become true practitioners of the way.”

- On the Endeavour of the Way.
Dogen.

s.

He who knows, does not speak. He who speaks, does not know. -- Lao Tsu

similar G2G
'it is better to stay silent and be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt' Abraham Lincoln

"Be wise, strain the wine; and since life is brief, prune back far-reaching hopes! Even while we speak, envious time has passed: seize the day ...."

Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
- Aristotle

Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
- Aristotle

Mort, you have gone from Ring around the Rosie to reading Aristotle, I see some good maturity going on the last few months ;) !!

Lol, "You're immature!" *winkie face* *double exclamation point*

LMAO, Just playin around. Maturity is overrated. Never grow up completely, it'll kill ya every time. :D

I've always been mature, tho. I just hide it well. *winkie face*

hide it? ma a### ^v^
<> [minerva the wise owl whoo winkie face:D]

My home is secluded far from the world
the moss and woods are thick and the plants perfumed
I can see mountains rain or shine
all day I hear no market noise
I light a few leaves to make tea on my stove
to patch my robe I cut a cloud wisp
lifetimes seldom fill a hundred years
why bother chasing profit or fame

~Stonehouse

Musa' Ibn al Mualla' said:- Hudhaifah(The companion of the Prophet) advised me:-"Three qualities that if you have them, you will get a share of every good deed that comes from above: your deeds should be only for the sake of Allah, you should love for people what you love for yourself and your food should be lawful(i.e., earned by legal means)." Reported by Imam Ibn Al- Jawzi in his book Sifat as Safwah.

Last edited by a moderator:
I posted this in another forum this evening. I like it so much, I thought it would be a waste if I didn't share it with you as well...
Let us rise up and be thankful,
for if we didn't learn a lot today,
at least we learned a little,
and if we didn't learn a little,
at least we didn't get sick,
and if we got sick,
at least we didn't die;
so, let us all be thankful.

~ Buddha

[FONT=&quot]Once in a while
I just let time wear on
Leaning against a solitary pine