Daily Wisdom Saying

"We can look at the Patriot Act I, the Patriot Act II, the escalating authoritarianism, the violation of rights and liberties of Arab brothers and sisters and Muslim brothers and sisters. We can look at the aggressive militarism: in Iraq today, Syria, Iran, North Korea. It's very dark... [But] keep smiling, keep fighting, keep thinking, keep loving, keep serving, keep sacrificing. It's not about the win overnight, it's not about the quick fix, it's not about the push-button solution. It's about what kind of human being you want to be, what kind of legacy you want to live."

--Cornel West

Your Fork

There was a young woman who had been diagnosed with a terminal illness and had been given three months to live. So as she was getting her things "in order,"
she contacted her pastor and had him come to her house to discuss certain aspects of her final wishes. She told him which songs she wanted sung at the service, what scriptures she would like
read, and what outfit she wanted to be buried in.

Everything was in order and the pastor was preparing to leave when the young woman suddenly remembered something very important to her. "There's one more thing," she said

excitedly.

"What's that?" came the pastor's reply.

"This is very important," the young woman continued. "I want to be buried with a fork in my right hand."

The pastor stood looking at the young woman, not knowing quite what to say.

"That surprises you, doesn't it?" the young woman asked.

"Well, to be honest, I'm puzzled by the request," said the pastor.

The young woman explained. "My grandmother once told me this story, and from there on out, I have always
done so. I have also, always tried to pass along its message to those I love and those who are in need of encouragement.

In all my years of attending church socials and potluck dinners, I always remember that when the dishes of the main course were being cleared, someone would inevitably lean over and say, 'Keep your fork.' It was my favorite part because I knew that something better was coming, like velvety chocol! ate cake or deep-dish apple pie. Something wonderful, and with substance!' So, I just want people to see me there in that casket with a fork in my hand and I want them to
wonder "What's with the fork?" Then I want you to tell them: "Keep your fork. The best is yet to come."
The pastor's eyes welled up with tears of joy as he hugged the young woman good-bye.

He knew this would be one of the last times he would see her before her death. But he also knew that the young woman had a better grasp of heaven than he did.
She had a better grasp of what heaven would be like than many people twice her age, with twice as much experience and knowledge. She KNEW that something better was coming.

At the funeral people were walking by the young woman's casket and they saw the pretty dress she was wearing and the fork placed in her right hand. Over
and over, the pastor heard the question "What's with the fork?" And over and ! over he

smiled.
During his message, the pastor told the people of the conversation he had with the young woman shortly before she died. He also told them about the fork and about what it symbolized to her.

The pastor told the people how he could not stop thinking about the fork and told them that they probably would not be able to stop thinking about it either.

He was right.

So the next time you reach down for your fork, let it remind you ever so gently, that the best is yet to come.

Don't forget to keep your fork...;)

So when the great word "Mother!" rang once more,
I saw at last its meaning and its place;
Not the blind passion of the brooding past,
But Mother -- the World's Mother -- come at last,
To love as she had never loved before --
To feed and guard and teach the human race.

- Charlotte Perkins Gilman

The greatest revolution of our generation is the discovery that human beings by changing the inner attitudes of their minds, can change the outer aspects of their lives.
- William James

I am ever present to those who have realized me in every creature. Seeing all life as my manifestation, they are never separated from me. They worship me in the hearts of all, and all their actions proceed from me. Wherever they may live, they abide in me.

-Bhagavad Gita 6:30-31

Käthe said:
I am ever present to those who have realized me in every creature. Seeing all life as my manifestation, they are never separated from me. They worship me in the hearts of all, and all their actions proceed from me. Wherever they may live, they abide in me.

-Bhagavad Gita 6:30-31

Very nice. I love that one. The Bhagavad Gita is rooted deep in my heart and has played a great role in my progressive awakening from human apathy and spiritual lethargy. Thanks so much for the refresher. :)

Twinkies and Root Beer

A little boy wanted to meet God. He knew it was a long trip to where God lived, so he packed his suitcase with Twinkies and a six-pack of Root Beer and he started his journey.
TwinkiesBoyM.gif
TwinkiesTwinkies.gif
TwinkiesRootbeer.gif

When he had gone about three blocks, he met an elderly man. The man was sitting in the park just feeding some pigeons.
TwinkiesFeeding.gif

The boy sat down next to him and opened his suitcase. He was about to take a drink from his root beer when he noticed that the man looked hungry, so he offered him a Twinkie.

TwinkiesSat.gif

The man gratefully accepted it and smiled at boy. His smile was so pleasant that the boy wanted to see it again, so he offered him a root beer.
Again, the man smiled at him. The boy was delighted! They sat there all afternoon eating and smiling, but they never said a word.
As it grew dark, the boy realized how tired he was and he got up to leave, but before he had gone more than a few steps, he turned around, ran back to the man, and gave him a hug. The man gave him his biggest smile ever.
TwinkiesHug2.gif

When the boy opened the door to his own house a short time later, his mother was surprised by the look of joy on his face. She asked him, "What did you do today that made you so happy?

"He replied, "I had lunch with God." But before his mother could respond, he added, "You know what? God's got the most beautiful smile I've ever seen!"

Meanwhile, the elderly man, also radiant with joy, returned to his home. His son was stunned by the look of peace on his face and he asked," Dad, what did you do today that made you so happy?"
He replied, "I ate Twinkies in the park with God." However, before his son responded, he added," You know, he's much younger than I expected."

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. People come into our lives for a reason, a season, or a lifetime. Embrace all equally!
~author unknown~

image001.gif

Thomas Kincaid picture &commentary by his daughter...

One rainy afternoon I was driving along one of the main streets
of town, taking those extra precautions necessary when the roads are wet and slick.
Suddenly, my daughter spoke up from her relaxed position in her seat. "Dad, I'm thinking of something."

This announcement usually meant she had been pondering some fact for a while, and was now ready to expound all that her six-year-old mind had discovered. I was eager to hear.

"What are you thinking?" I asked. "The rain," she began, "is like sin, and the windshield wipers are like God wiping our sins away."

After the chill bumps raced up my arms I was able to respond. "That's really good, Aspen."

Then my curiosity broke in. How far would this little girl take this revelation? So I asked.. "Do you notice how the rain keeps on coming? What does that tell you?" Aspen didn't hesitate one moment with her answer: "We keep on sinning, and God just keeps on forgiving us."

I will always remember this whenever I turn my wipers on.

In order to see the rainbow, you must first endure the rain!!!

Attachments

• image001.gif
    image001.gif
    55.1 KB · Views: 306
"In this world, hate never dispelled hate. Only love dispels hate. This is the Law, ancient and inexhaustible." - Buddha

Quahom1 said:

Isn't it distressing to know that when you forward this message you will not send it to many on your address list because you're not sure what they believe, or what they will think of you for sending it to them. Funny how I can be more worried about what other people think of me than what God thinks of me.

I'd say that it would be rude to pass along any religion-specific thing like this to people whom I *know* don't share that religious outlook, particularly with this last bit. This has nothing at all to do with what they might think of me, but the regard I have for them.

Käthe said:
I'd say that it would be rude to pass along any religion-specific thing like this to people whom I *know* don't share that religious outlook, particularly with this last bit. This has nothing at all to do with what they might think of me, but the regard I have for them.

That is because that last part wasn't supposed to be there. I swore I took it out before pasting in. I am very sorry, as I hate that crud as well, and never pass those things on with that junk attached. I'll ask the supermod to fix that. Once again, it was not my intent to have that attached.

v/r

Q

Q,

I want to thank you for posting Twinkies and Root Beer. I enjoyed reading this story very much; it is a great reminder that we can find God anywhere and everywhere, and especially in other people, often strangers. I love the way that both the boy and the elder are both profoundly affected by the encounter. This is a wonderful story, and I thank you for sharing it.

:)

Peace.

"Take only what you need and leave the land as you found it."

- American Indian Proverb (Arapaho)

"It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it."

- Jeseph Joubert

Do not do unto others as you would they should do unto you. Their tastes may not be the same.

1903, Man and Superman
(George Bernard Shaw)

A wise man once said to me when I asked the meaning of it all."Have fun and be good." When I tried to ask about wisdom he just put his finger to his mouth and said "SSSHHHHHH"

Back