Fictionalize Yourself

Hi phyllis - sounds like you had a great memorial day and so did the kitties .... ah, kite flying .... it has been a long time and I remember it fondly, so nice of your neighbor to suggest it .... take care, po

p.s. what are the little icons at the bottom of the page - a green circle, 2 porkchops, and a flag????

Um, concerning the first paragraph of your post: I hope you were being sarcastic, since the neighbor wasn't being so "nice" when suggesting it (he was being a rectal thermometer orifice, if you ken my meaning.) I guess it was because we kept him away from the beer (he thought he could get some free beer from our barbecue as well as free food, which he got neither, but got dropped in the lake by a miffed Wren.) You might've enjoyed some of the burgers ("Hawaiian"-style with lightly grilled pineapple rings and a "Hawaiian"-teriyaki sauce.)

Anyway, concerning your second paragraph, all you need to do to find out what something stands for is to move your cursor to the icon without clicking it. When it's hovering right over it, the explanation will show up on your comp. :)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Last edited:
Um, concerning the first paragraph of your post: I hope you were being sarcastic, since the neighbor wasn't being so "nice" when suggesting it (he was being a rectal thermometer orifice, if you ken my meaning.) I guess it was because we kept him away from the beer (he thought he could get some free beer from our barbecue as well as free food, which he got neither, but got dropped in the lake by a miffed Wren.) You might've enjoyed some of the burgers ("Hawaiian"-style with lightly grilled pineapple rings and a "Hawaiian"-teriyaki sauce.)

yes I was being sarcastic just as I knew you were when you posted that .... I'm sure I would have enjoyed the burgers .... thanks for the tip on the icon's .... take care, po

Last edited by a moderator:
Emba and Yuuen have five children and lots of help with their care. Yep, they have custody of the boy Emba rescued along with his four siblings. They're teaching their language to the kids as well as their spiritual practices. I think they are also teaching them about the dangers inherent in the world the parents came from (like an ancient relative of alligators and crocodiles that was 15 meters long, wounded mammoths, cave bears, etc.) Emba delivered the cashier's check for 198,000 to the charity just before picking up his new brood, arriving to the charity's office wearing his loincloth, the courthouse in a suit. He cuts a really masculine figure in both. ;)

Yuki's spending more time with Belinda, hoping she'll wake up soon, but he's being "monitored" by all of the "uncles"/"aunts"/"cousins", and reminded that he has a little boy who wants to be with daddy sometimes, too. Al and Ranmaru are taking their turn tonight (a ship's captain can really be a boon sometimes, as can being a yakuza boss.)

Thought you guys might want an update. :eek:

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Vision Quest Writer

It’s the last minute of an era. By the dim light of a single candle I’m emptying my Word folder into the ocean of you.

In another life I dreamt of being a professor, on the cusp of realizing my dreams I met an unprofessional school counselor, a university department that would rather let me go than tuck their racism into a pocket before coming to work, and a new professor who used me for free services, slandered students and professors and spoke to my tutorial advisor, this during a period I was separated from my big and scary, verbally abusive, chronically alcoholic husband and trying to figure out how to support two children while going through graduate school, a decision I worried for nothing as I was not able to bear up under the trauma of confronting racism and being forced out of my university job, the confusion I felt as my new "friend" violated my privacy by talking to my tutorial advisor, etc., etc., too much more, and being propositioned by my school counselor who was, by the way, supposed to be helping me study for the GRE with the affliction of ADD, which he diagnosed by use of a small survey.

Funny, after four years alone – I broke away from everyone in my life except my children and am only recently beginning to repair relationships that were not damaged beyond repair - some of the symptoms have disappeared, through research I’ve realized the symptoms he diagnosed me with are the same symptoms people with post-traumatic stress disorder display.

I grew up traumatized, as many children do, one trauma followed another until I was a teenager meeting boys who were like my parents and one of my sisters up the road to my alcoholic ex husband who has, from what I gather, slowed down on his drink, at least I hope so.

He is a much better person not married to me, I didn’t make him drink, he learned to drink as a kid at home but I wasn’t the kind of person he wanted to be with, his anger and tantrums were a response to being in a mismatched marriage that wasn’t a marriage but a mistake we didn’t know how to undo, his later outbursts of yelling were due to my incompetent parenting.

I wasn't the mother he wanted for his children.

I don’t regret my life. I like who I am, I wouldn’t be me, the me I am today, without the experiences I have had. But this is my life as fiction, living my life into this topic I can be, or pretend to be, the slice of me that I’m not as my midnight hour turns the clock to morning.

Last edited:
Vision Quest Writer

A Brilliant First Chapter

“But morning is worlds away now, it’s still early night on the Day of All Souls.”
Animal Dreams, by Barbara Kingsolver

In childhood, daily activities are imbued with a heavy glamour that defies adult logic. G-D, with me by seconds, breath of force pushing me about daily routines, cannot match the mystery of reading Barbra Kingsolver at her finest, so that my movements each day are again counted childhood-like-holy.

Ken Wilber, in his book No Boundary, writes about an alternative version of reality that is a “union of opposites” and as such, “an object which appears at rest for one observer is, at the same time, in motion for a different observer” (22). And so Homero stands over his sleeping daughters, crossing the boundaries of time; opposites rest together as one, inaction and action fuse in a moment that defies the splash of sun, banishes the mystery behind shadows and hourly chimes that are timed intervals to divide seconds into days, and in that moment running on pause, past and future present as one, he knows what each promised life contains. Yet he is standing outside looking in, a soul observing, and without the power of G-D; he cannot cross the divide into their hearts and minds but only watch helplessly the sleeping forms of his girls. He cannot stop their stories from unfolding as they will but simply mourn what they all have lost.

Last edited:
Vision Quest Writer

Imagining Based On Memory

“I just don’t think 22 year old people are that interesting,” Pond said.

“The involved nature –“

“Excuse me,” she said. “I’m not interested in this conversation, I’m fairly certain I’ve made that clear.” Pond pulled a lipstick out of her purse, which was open in front of her. Leaning across the vanity she ran a slick of carmine red across her lips.

“I only want to help,” she said.

Pond pulled out a compact. Not taking her eyes off her reflection she blotted her face along her forehead, collected her cosmetics into her purse, got up from the vanity and walked into the restroom without looking back.

Vision Quest Writer

For My Son

Earth Runner

Passion is your gift
Life called into being a beauty of spirit
that danced around each eager movement
up the ladder of growth

Seasons changed, a struggle for a growing toddler into youth
as one suit fit well and the memory
was not easily released
In summer you tugged at shorts,
wanting them around
your ankles
Winter had you longing your legs bare

Favorite activities cut short
set heart-wrenching cries loose
Soothed passage
from one moment to the next -
You were easy to redirect
if given space to protest

You were born
loving this planet
Your dreams into
each moment sparked your whole being
into focus

I redirect you now,
Silent parent looking forward

Silent parent, silent night, pray the morning

Yuki's asleep (I "borrowed" some of the gang to sing a capella an old, yet not so old, song by Ladysmith Black Mambazo.) He's sprawled in the bed provided by the hospital, his clothes a bit disheveled. I removed his shoes and socks (not that difficult since he was almost asleep on his feet) but that was it.

A nurse recognized the song, but had a difficult time pinpointing it exactly due to the fact that, instead of the pronunciation she was familiar with, we were stuck pretty much with a mostly Japanese twist to the tune (what does she expect, since I was pretty much the only non-Japanese person singing?)

Oh, the song we sang? YouTube - Ladysmith Black Mambazo - Mbube Wimoweh

The :kitty:s are sleeping, too, one in Yuki's bed, the other in Belinda's. Her doctor thinks that having the :kitty:s instead of a toy may be helping in her recovery. They could've told him that. :rolleyes:

Well, gotta go. It's my turn to clean the litterbox and fill both the food and water bowls.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Thought you'd like some good news: Belinda's starting to show some basic responses. For those who aren't familiar with what I'm talking about, when someone who is in a coma shows basic responses, that means that s/he may be coming out of said coma.

If she is, it'll be slow, but not as slow as it could've been if she remained that way for any longer. She'll be like a baby for a while (unlike what one sees in the media) and she'll have to undergo therapy to compensate for her stroke, but Yuki and his wife were ecstatic.

We gave them time alone to celebrate. ;) :D

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Poor Chii's sprawled in the cattery, depressed. Her favorite deliveryman won't be able to make it today (he's "under the weather".) His substitute today is more of a dog person (they should've sent a cat person with only one dog and countless :kitty:s residing here.) Ah, well.

Malcolm's trying his best to perk up the kitten without using :kitty: Krunchies. Best wishes on his endevor. The vets are also trying their best to do something for her without using medications.

Ah, well. I might send her to visit Belinda's room at the hospital if all else fails. *shrug*

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Suoh came home earlier today with the most surprising "package": he adopted a kitten from the local humane society. His reason for taking her: "She looks so much like Tiger Lily from New York that I just couldn't leave without her. We couldn't do anything to help Tiger Lily, but I can do something to make this one's life better."

I never before saw that big man cry, but when he heard about the case in New York, he just lost it completely (I have several holes in my wall from his fists that have to be repaired.) Even Asami was afraid to get near him (and that takes some doing!)

The cattery has taken the new resident "in paw" and Nekoyashiki is helping the new "staff person" with the care of the kitten. I congratulated him on his new friend, then excused myself (didn't want to hurt myself from withholding my laughter, seeing this large man with this tiny kitten gently cradled in hands that could, and has, taken a life.)

He's spending the night in the cattery, sleeping on the floor (he said he didn't mind. *shrug*) Nekoyashiki'll check on him and his new "manager" now and again.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Last edited:
We had fun outside Children's Hospital with another fundraiser (the money's going to the Children's Miracle Network again, Emba acting as runner [again. :rolleyes:].)

We sang/danced to a "new" song: Three Dog Night - Celebrate - Free MP3 Stream on IMEEM Music since Belinda's doing a bit better. The valley roared with over 400 voices chanting, "Celebrate! Celebrate! Dance to the music!" for close to two and a half minutes straight. Santa had fun behind his drum kit, too (and not just from this tune, either.) He slept all the way home (Wren "drove" him while Suoh rode "shotgun" [poor Suoh was white as a sheet when he got back, repeating, "There wasn't a driver," until he got back to Tiger Lily's side].)

The gang has decided to do another fundraiser, but for the humane society/ASPCA as well as for the Hunger Task Force. Might do it as a block party.

Gotta go. The idjit neighbor who tried to crash the Memorial Day picnic is getting rowdy, and several of my shorter-tempered guests are arming themselves to deal with him.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Both Kei and Suoh are in trouble. They dealt with the troublesome neighbor (who is currently resting comfortably in the hospital with multiple fractures.) They were released into my custody until their court date (fun. /sarcasm)

The events leading up to the beating: the neighbor (who smelled of alcohol and "burning rope") grabbed Tiger Lily and started "playing" with her. Suoh, being rather protective of her, slammed him against a wall. Repeatedly. My neighbor should be grateful that the huge man wasn't "packing" at the time.

Anyway, when he showed signs of tiring, Kei took over. It became "tag team" pounding, only stopped when the little kitten carefully approached the blonde, ready to flee at a moment's notice. I guess her pitiful miews broke through their rage (I wonder if Suoh was afraid that the neighbor would try to imitate this one New York girl and Tiger Lily's namesake and that's why he reacted so violently. *shrug*)

Anyway, this incident has made me think about making little booklets to pass out to any and all of my new guests (and some of the veteran guests, too.)

We also had an appointment with the Social Security office for several of the "older" guests (to see if they qualified for benefits. :rolleyes:) It was a trip seeing the reactions of all the people there to my motley crew (no, not the band.) It's a good thing I suggested that several of them leave their weapons at home (government buildings, y'know.) Ukitake is getting disability due to his "lung condition" (they'd be surprised to see how hale he actually is, especially since he's a shinigami.)

Uh oh. We have "visitors" (the injured neighbor's "friends") and Suoh looks rather, um, murderous.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

We finally got our farmers market purchases put away/transplanted (yeah, you heard/read it correctly: several bought herbs/flowers that needed to be transplanted. :rolleyes:)

The poor honey vendor had to make a quick purchase to make more honey lemonade, plus he ran out of honey and beeswax (what do you expect with over 400 people wanting to purchase your goods?) Several got their business cards instead (it'll be their turn next week to buy honey.)

We also bought out the apple vendor (heirloom apples and pears when in season) and traded several recipes with him. Suoh and Nekoyashiki purchased kitty gardens for the :kitty: delegation that couldn't come (Tiger Lily loves hers) and several of the guys have special orders for pen and pencil sets (Asami's will have three pens, a pencil and a letter opener made from bloodwood or acrylic resin in a blood red ["What do you expect? I need them" :rolleyes:] and FeiLong's will be similar, but in ivory acrylic resin ["To match my pipe."].)

Dog got a treat from the buffalo vendor: a smoked buffalo bone. He was ecstatic (had a hard time keeping it away from him) and the merchant sold several pounds of cheese.

The vets were rather busy with several dogs that came to the market with their owners plus a couple of horses (the mounted police officer was rather ticked with the waste of a good evening of adult entertainment who injured his mount, but grateful for the vets who took care of the mount right there for free.)

Anyway, we're going to the markets both tomorrow and Wednesday (hopefully we won't buy everybody out again) as well as next Saturday's.

Gotta go. Smells like someone's in the kitchen making something with several of our purchases (hope it's not Orihime. *shudder*)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Well, here's the update I promised (now that the hoopla's died down.)

Yuki was practicing in Belinda's room, fingering the acoustic guitar to work out the patterns for a song when he heard her stir slightly in bed. Looking up, he saw her struggle to open her eyes.

Afraid that it was a false alarm, he watched as she slowly exposed her baby blue eyes, then (sans regard for his guitar) ran out to call for the doctor. He completely forgot his English in his excitement.

Word spread very fast in the "community", occasional translations into languages other than Japanese for those who don't understand it/speak dialects other than "Tokyo" (as I call it.) Several of my "guests" made a quick liquor store run, credit cards in hand, returning with a wide variety of "celebration libation" from absinthe to zinfandel.

Everybody suffered the aftereffects of imbibing, the kids the only ones not going through hangovers, but they had to keep very quiet (which, those who live/d with young children, know is almost impossible.) Tao, who was released a week ago, took charge of the younger kids, bringing them to the kite stand/park (it's a good thing I live not that far from the beach) to let out excessive energy. He called one of his former nurses to provide adult supervision, inviting her family, too.

Gotta go. Still cleaning up from the impromptu party (didn't know we had so many bottles/cans/flasks/glasses/cups/etc.)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

We went to the market yesterday and several of the newer members of my impromptu "clan" got the shock of their recent lifetime (good thing they weren't "packing"!)

You see, one of the vendors sells kettle popcorn, and his "schtick" is that he dresses up like a cowboy cook, his stall comes complete with the dinner triangle. Every time a new batch of popcorn is done, he rings the triangle, then basically calls out, "Come and get it! YEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-HAAAAAAAAAAAW!"

Anyway, every time this vendor called out, you literally could see the poor guys jump out of their skins, fumbling for the weapons they didn't have. I got each of them popcorn, introducing them to the gent, to make up for their "discomfort".

On a different note, the musical entertainment (if one could call it that) was a guy who should've bought a clue that he just wasn't that talented. I mean, when my guys had a bigger audience doing an impromptu a capella concert than the jerk listed as the entertainment. Some of the guys got marriage proposals. :D

Anyway, we later got some frozen desserts (sorbets and gelatos) from a local branch of a chain store. Al picked up some hazelnut gelato, eating the entire pint last night (note to self: pick up a quart of that stuff later today for the ship's captain [his orders. :rolleyes:].)

Gotta go. The "crew" is looking at the basswood honey we got yesterday, and I have a feeling they're not going to stop until I initiate it. :rolleyes:

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Last edited:
Al and Kei made several batches of an Italian cookie that calls for honey (Al "wanted to see the differences in the end product between the different kinds of honey", but I have the sneaking suspicion that he really wanted to bake. :rolleyes:)

It's a good thing that the oven is a gas oven because the electricity went out last night for a while due to severe storms. The :kitty:s were extremely uncomfortable during the storms (Tiger Lily pretty much glued herself to Suoh, digging in further with each thunderclap and Chii left a few scratches on Ryogo.) Our "visually impaired" swordmaster was a bit disoriented for the same reason.

We spent the night in the safety of the basement after the cookies were done (had to figure a way to keep evertybody separate from the troublesome neighbors so nobody would kill them.) Ah, the logistics of that was incredible.

Gotta go. One of the nuisance neighbors is causing trouble in the cattery, and I think Suoh's down there.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Everybody was miserable today (it was a humid 85 F.) so I got the campus pool after-hours (which was a good thing because of the swimwear.) A few kids crashed the swimming party, but found themselves - um - :eek: at the crew (well, lets just say that decency laws forbid me from describing, although they all wore something that covered what's required. :D)

Emba's and Yuuen's new brood stayed in the shallow end with their parents, playing with a beach ball. Several of the others joined and dropped out of the game occasionally. Some :kitty:s helped by pushing the ball back into play (they got delicious treats and thorough grooming when we got back home.)

Al and Asami got into a water fight, each trying to dunk the other. Unfortunately for them, the "old man" got into it, dunking them both at the same time. Each time the younger men got into it, they got dunked by the "old man" and held down for a three-count (don't want to kill them, y'know.)

Well, I'm off to make a very long distance call (the snow spirits are spending the summer in Antarctica [it's more to their liking right now.].)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

I had to explain Fathers Day to "the clan" because Emba's brood gave both of their fathers (not the biological "father"!) handmade cards and presents earlier today (the eldest made an attempt at knapping a stone knife, which made both Emba and Yuuen tear up, in spite of the fact it was not really useful [but it was rather good for a first attempt at making one without their supervision].)

Yuki got an unexpected present from Belinda: she turned over on her own. His joyous shouts were heard all the way down to the first floor. Al left e-mails for the djs from the telethon (he thought they might want to have a few updates on her condition [such a thoughtful lad. :D].)

We're staying in today because it's in the 80s F again, just too hot to do anything but veg out and eat homemade sushi and store bought hazelnut gelato. I taught them how to make both honey and rosewater lemonade (a heck of a lot less expensive than buying premade or from-concentrate lemonade.) Might teach them how to make raspberry lemonade later. *shrug*

The :kitty:s are a bit sluggish, just moving to do stuff required for life. Suoh was afraid something was wrong with Tiger Lily until Nekoyashiki explained that she's conserving energy (try wearing a fur coat in high temperatures! At least humans sweat!)

Gotta go. Suoh's trying to play with his new friend using ice cubes, and he forgot to put the tray back in the freezer. :rolleyes:

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Back