What Book Have You Read Recently?

The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins. Very intelligent and very funny. It's a book on atheism so you have to be quite open-minded/not easily offended to read it.

The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins. Very intelligent and very funny. It's a book on atheism so you have to be quite open-minded/not easily offended to read it.

I read that one too... love Dawkins... want to carry his love child.

He is good. He owned Bill O'Reilly (or at least I think it was Bill-O) on Fox News. It was awesome lol.

He owned Bill O'Reilly (or at least I think it was Bill-O) on Fox News.

Well I won't say that he owned O'Reilly, but only because Bill-O barely gives Dawkins a chance to speak.
This is hardly an interview. I'm not sure why anybody who's not on O'Reilly's good side ever goes on this show. What a waste.

[youtube]2UtwMczGKX8[/youtube]​

O-Reilly here is actually putting Mr. Dawkins in a good position to sell more books. He read and liked the book. He would not give his guest a chance to actually answer basic questions, however he quickly brought up the basic points. Its a good introduction to the book for conservatives and might interest them in reading it by taking out some shock. This interview was for them.

No Right to Remain Silent: The Tragedy at Virginia Tech by Lucinda Roy

The author is an Alumini Distinguished English Professor at VT who dealt early on with Seung-Hui Cho a couple of years prior to his rampage across the the campus in April 2007. Interesting inside perspective into the mind of the troubled youth.

halfway through 'the story of god' by robert winston. was given to me and thought l'd never get round to reading it; apparently part of a bbc documentary series which this personal account fills out, which l never saw though l've seen other programmes of his which were based more on his profession [gynaecologist/professor of fertility studies].
Its an easy read of the history of the 'divine idea' as he calls it from prehistoric times onwards to monotheism and l haven't gotten onto his musings on religion in the modern age yet, but the fact he is both a scientist and jewish makes it for an interesting take.
one thing that l found out was a jewish tradition that certain gifted men possessed the power to create a being known as a golem from dirt -- is this what motivated the gollum in Tolkien's lord of the rings l wonder?!

"The Shack" by William Paul Young

shackback.jpg

I read it three times, and found something I'd missed before each time.

v/r

Q

Steinsaltz' commentary on Tanya volumes 1-3 and A Heart Afire by Zalman Schachter-Shalomi.

Um, I just read *Ducks under big poofy pillows* the Twilight series...

*peeks out again*

Is it safe? Phew. Anywho, I liked the series for what it was. I thought it was pretty well written for a young adult thingie, and it had a fresh perspective on the whole vampire thing, and werewolf thing. But I'm a total girl, so of course I liked it...

Now reading Anne Rice: Violin, and after that I will read Sabriel by Garth Nix.
Anne rice is always fabulous, and Sabriel, and the other works in the series are wonderful, their world very vivid.

Ah, I love reading. :)

Oh, has anyone read any of the Christopher Pike books? Love him!

I looked for a copy of the shack in our local library. its been booked out til the end of the year. LOL. so I bought it. read it in two days. couldnt put it down... But I left it at my uncles for him to read. ....

I like the review....
....... "If you read one work of fiction this year..."...... "...that ushers you into the heart and nature of God..."
:D

I picked up a copy of Anathem by Neal Stephenson recently. Haven't read any fiction in a long time but this appeals to me.

Back