What Book Have You Read Recently?

I tend to keep a few at a time...

I'm re-reading one of the James Herriot books for fun in odd moments when I am waiting for something. I can't stand lines and just sitting, so anytime I feel like I'll be bored for more than 30 seconds I read a few pages. They're great books for entertainment without getting so involved you want to keep reading until you get to the end, and without necessitating any heavy thinking.

I just finished "A Gracious Plenty," and liked that, as well as "A Druid's Handbook," which was interesting and a good read. I found it interesting to see another group's interpretation of Druidic practice and see the similarities and differences with my own group's.

I'm nearing completion of "The Cloud of Unknowing," but it will take me years (forever?) to digest it.

Re-reading "Listening for the Heartbeat of God" for a group study. It's a great book; loved it the first time and expect I'll get even more out of it on the second time 'round.

Eastern Philosophy – Chakravarthi Ram-Prasad.

Normally I find philosophy rather too dry; no doubt that’s my loss. Anyway, this book provides a good background in all things Eastern; India, China and Japan in the main. So if you’re interested in the philosophical side of Buddhism, Daoism, Confucianism, Jainism and the Hindu philosophical schools then this might be a good one for you. It was a stimulating read, but rather like Western philosophy, there’s only so much of it I can take before my eyes start glazing over.

s.

I'm reading two books right now.

Amazon.com: It's Not Carpal Tunnel Syndrome! RSI Theory & Therapy for Computer Professionals: Books: Suparna Damany,Jack Bellis

is just awesome. It's very informative but written in plain English. It addresses RSI as a systemic problem rather than focusing on particular manifestations. The other book I'm reading is awesome too:

Amazon.com: The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook: Your Self-Treatment Guide for Pain Relief, Second Edition: Books: Clair Davies,Amber Davies,David G. Simons

My friend just finished schooling for massage therapy and said this was used as a reference. I found that out after I purchased it. It's so well diagramed and explained, and the treatment really does make a difference.

Coming of Age in Mississippi by Anne Moody. If there was any interest in facing up to the deep racism in America, teenagers would be reading this in high school. Another sobering testament to the oppression of African Americans in the Jim Crow south, as well as an awesome representation of one woman's development, deep pain, anger, conscience, resistance, passion for justice, and despair.

Hi Mee,

What book are you all on in your current book study?

Chris

i can see that you are aware that we are all in UNITY:)

A book that is very relavent for today , see if you can guess :)

also i did notice after reading the book about JEHOVAHS WITNESSES that it says that there are about 6,000 of us , but since that book was printed there are now nearly 7,000 . and it seems to be speeding up especially in the time of the end . just some thing i noticed .

Been reading Stephen Fry's "The Ode Less Travelled", a bit of an expedition into the form of many, sometimes obscure, methods of poetic structure. And "The Earth Dwellers, Adventures in the Land of Ants" by Erich Hoyt.

"No Greater Love" by Mother Theresa. So far, it's excellent. One I'll have to revisit over and over after I finish it. Her chapter on love was amazing and humbling.

i have re started Katharine Kerrs Deverry novels. Darkspell, etc. I have them all but she is about to release the next novel, (number 14 I think) so I have to start at the beginning again. yay.

Currently reading Sister Souljah's No Disrespect and Toni Morrison's Beloved. Both are great, difficult reads, in different ways.

No Disrespect: Sister Souljah's anger is well justified and, while I don't share all of her values, I respect very much her intellect, commitment, and her service to the black community and the poor and underpriveleged. The book is also a fine source of information about welfare, under- and miseducation in/of black communities, and the erosion of African American families by poverty, racism, and crime. Heavy reading with few laughs.

Beloved: Only about 50 pages in, and I had to read the first two chapters twice to get a handle on the book. The thing that is most striking about this novel to me is the narration. Morrison crafts a third person narrative that threads itself subtly through time and consciousnesses, merging past with present and character with character. I've enjoyed observing her ability to create the feeling of a shared consciousness between the three main characters, which she achieves by shifting focus from one to the other, anchoring their connections to each other by shared memories. It's a unique and amazing techniqe she uses.

opps mistake, my post 107 on this thread should read , millions not thousands . :)

I think these books are still in print. At least they were 7 years ago when I worked for one of the largest corporate bookstores in America. We always had plenty of new, fresh copies of the many volumes on the shelves. This is a large series of books, isn't it? At least ten volumes.
Kindest Regards, Pathless!

Sorry I missed this before.

If the Foxfire series is still in print that would be wonderful. It truly would be a shame to have all of this knowledge disappear for good. I am nearly finished with the second volume, finishing up a chapter on midwifes and granny women. Eye opening to say the least, especially since children are no longer birthed in the home in this country. I remember looking at the balance of the series and thinking a lot of the rest of the material was not nearly as interesting to me as the first two volumes. I am quite pleased that I finally got myself around to actually reading them.

Some time back I bought a boxed set that starts with the book "My Side of the Mountain," a reread from my childhood I probably mentioned earlier in this thread. There are two more books, and I think I will move into them when I finish Foxfire.

This morning I read a little leadership book whose title has already escaped my mind, something about the Next Level. A lot of the material was redundant with the other leadership books I have read...think maybe some of the shtuff will sink in?

Just finishing Sun tzu art of war..... Obviously not reading it as that isn't my thing..... Al-hamdulillah for audio books...
Don't know about the book on tape, but "The Art of War" was a fantastic read I highly recommend. I probably should dig mine back out and give it another look over.

search_for_god.jpg
Mankind’s Search for God

Throughout mankind's history the search for God has led up many pathways, resulting in a diversity of religious expression. Has this search for God been successful? Through this book we are invited to join in that fascinating search for the true God .

Back